Forums

Topic: Favorite 3DS RPG? (so far)

Posts 141 to 160 of 165

pashaveliki

mumof2kids82 wrote:

i wish people would stop arguing over classifications of games...who cares anymore?

amen.

pashaveliki

3DS Friend Code: 3024-5201-8983 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

mumof2kids82 wrote:

i wish people would stop arguing over classifications of games...who cares anymore?

The people who are arguing about it, duh. Also anybody who wants to take an interest in a game they've never heard of would probably appreciate not having to waste their time on something that's outside their genre preferences because someone mislabeled it, and yeah, that happens.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Pokefanmum82

yeah but now it's getting old.

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

evanc

i love/hate devil survivor overclocked, because it's addicting, but so unnecessarily HARD. if you're at a boss and you're too weak/don't have the right demons, you're screwed if you don't have enough macca and the paltry exp you get from free battles doesn't help. i've played most shin megami tensei games and they're rarely THIS frustrating...
looking forward to soul hackers and etrian odyssey, though!

evanc

MYNISTA

I'm enjoying "Tales of the Abyss" & "The Denpa Man: They Came by Wave."
I also have "Heroes of Ruin." It could use some help in some areas. It's still fun though.

Edited on by MYNISTA

GameBruh.Com [Tumblr]
Gamer. Rapper. Jesus Freak.

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6041-3710 | Twitter:

OptometristLime

An RPG can be any game under the sun.

If while playing it you can imprint your thoughts and feelings onto the character, it doesn't matter if the game deliberately allows for this or not, you are role-playing. This definition allows me to enjoy games that allow for this almost subconscious agency within the plot, without getting caught up on classifications and labels.

Not trying to start an argument, as much as offer an alternative view.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

steamhare

Bankai wrote:

RPGs came before simulation games.

In fact RPGs came before videogames. Simulation games, initially, were games where you as the player would play God. Sim City and the like. Later on simulation games took on RPG elements when players would instead control a single avatar and experience the world through his/ her eyes.

But really, "relationship building simulation" is a core component of the RPG genre.

So which borrowed from which, exactly?

RPG borrowed from simulation. Simulation games introduced relationship mechanics, and the already existing RPGs borrowed the idea from them. Remember that even SimCity has relationship values in the form of your approval ratings.

@TheLastLemming
You've taken all meaning away from the term RPG. Remember, you can enjoy a game whether it's an RPG or not. What it's called really has no bearing unless you're looking for something similar, in which case your idea won't help people find similar games.

Edited on by steamhare

steamhare

Vallu

The Denpa Men. I don't even have any other RPG games on 3DS. The Denpa Men is fun and challenging and there is a lot to do for a 8€ eShop game. I already have over 30 hours in it.

Edited on by Vallu

Vallu

3DS Friend Code: 5069-4166-9182 | Nintendo Network ID: vallu111

Ralizah

I am really enjoying Devil Survivor Overclocked. It's both user-friendly and tough-as-nails. A good combination.

It won't stay at the top of my list for long, though, what with EO4 and SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers coming out soon. And if Bravely Default gets localized? Fuhgedaboudit.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Oragami

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire is easily my favorite 3DS RPG at this time, although I think I'll like Omega Ruby more when I get it.

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

bobbypaycheque

I have to say Ocarina of Time on 3DS. It is superb and has aged really well. For a newer one Link Between Worlds was fantastic. There are lots I haven't had a chance to play though.

bobbypaycheque

Ralizah

What necromancy is this?

It's amazing how in the span of almost two years, the 3DS went from being RPG deprived to a veritable JRPG powerhouse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is my favorite so far.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

iKhan

Of:

Pokemon Y
Inazuma Eleven
and Tales of the Abyss...

I've gotta go with Pokemon. Inazuma Eleven outlives it's welcome, and the only reason Tales of the Abyss was playable for me was Guy and the battle system. Pokemon Y isn't the most amazing game on earth, but it's the best of these 3.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Oragami

Ralizah wrote:

What necromancy is this?

It's amazing how in the span of almost two years, the 3DS went from being RPG deprived to a veritable JRPG powerhouse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is my favorite so far.

I know! Reading the former comments is kind of eerie, as most of those games aren't nearly as good as the ones that have been released since.

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

RR529

I never expected this thread to pop up again, lol.

I haven't bought a new retail 3DS game since last year (and I've only made limited eShop purchases this year), so my list hasn't changed much.

1. Tales of the Abyss
2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
3. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
4. Crimson Shroud
5. Legend of the River King
6. Denpa Men
7. Sword of Hope II

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kenchi

Denpa Men 3, Bravely Default, and Fantasy Life.

Switch Friend Code: 6267 6151 9714
3DS Friend Code: 3625-7861-0439
NNID: Kenchi9
ACNL town: Zenn La

Rensch

Pokémon X and Y. The new OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire versions are fun as well, but lack the diversity of creatures that made X and Y so fun.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

therick112

Bravely Default

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7214-8228

Dezzy

Fire Emblem first, by a mile.

Then I'd probably go with Tales of the Abyss slightly ahead of Bravely Default. Although I don't quite think as highly of it as you do. It's one of my favourite Tales games, but I think that series kinda limits itself to being only good rather than great. It is very consistently good though!

Bankai wrote:

Yeah, the 3DS doesn't exactly have many RPGs worth talking about. Tales wasn't released in Australia (or if it was, in such small numbers I've never seen it for sale).

The wikipedia page disagrees. Look harder! It's worth it.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.