3DS Forum

Topic: Charging issue

Showing 1 to 13 of 13

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheHunter

1. Posted:

The charging port on my 3DS is officially busted. Since the 3DS and DSi use the same AC adapter, I was wondering if it would be possible to charge my 3DS's battery in my sister's DSi until such time as I can afford a new one. I appreciate the help.

TheHunter

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

2. Posted:

Sharing an AC adapter just means it uses the same voltage to charge; the two batteries are entirely different shapes. Your 3DS battery won't fit into your sister's DSi, I'm afraid.

That said, If the charging port on your 3DS is busted, have you tried using the cradle instead? That doesn't require having anything physically plugged into the system, it plugs into the cradle itself and the contacts on the back of your 3DS are what's used to charge with.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheHunter

3. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

Sharing an AC adapter just means it uses the same voltage to charge; the two batteries are entirely different shapes. Your 3DS battery won't fit into your sister's DSi, I'm afraid.

That said, If the charging port on your 3DS is busted, have you tried using the cradle instead? That doesn't require having anything physically plugged into the system, it plugs into the cradle itself and the contacts on the back of your 3DS are what's used to charge with.

The cradle contacts died out long before the port. Thanks for the help though.

TheHunter

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Raiko

4. Posted:

How have you managed to break both the cradle and ports, may I ask?

Raiko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheHunter

5. Posted:

Raiko wrote:

How have you managed to break both the cradle and ports, may I ask?

Just wear and tear, I suppose. I never did anything rougher than carry it in my pocket.

TheHunter

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

6. Posted:

TheHunter wrote:

Raiko wrote:

How have you managed to break both the cradle and ports, may I ask?

Just wear and tear, I suppose. I never did anything rougher than carry it in my pocket.

That sounds like more than wear and tear :O Either you abused it or it's defective :O

You will have to send it to Nintendo for repair

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheHunter

7. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

TheHunter wrote:

Raiko wrote:

How have you managed to break both the cradle and ports, may I ask?

Just wear and tear, I suppose. I never did anything rougher than carry it in my pocket.

That sounds like more than wear and tear :O Either you abused it or it's defective :O

You will have to send it to Nintendo for repair

I took pretty good care of it and it worked fine for a year and a half. Just wondered if there was a way to use it until I get around to replacing it.

TheHunter

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

8. Posted:

Doesn't sound like it. Sorry dude :(

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

9. Posted:

Random thought - and I don't know if this would work, but for phones you can get inductive chargers. Something like this: http://dx.com/p/universal-portable-wireless-inductive-charger...

With inductive chargers all you need to do is lay the charger down like a mat, and put the phone on top of it. There's no connectors needed.

Now, it says it will work with handheld consoles, and the 3DS' battery is functionally not much different to the iPhone's, so I suspect this will work for you. Cheaper than buying a new 3DS

Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself with a console, though I can confirm the technology works with phones and I take no responsibility if you buy one and it doesn't work.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

10. Posted:

^I suspect that will work, because I remember seeing a commercial on TV a few years ago for one of those, and they put a phone & a DS Lite on it.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knuckles

11. Posted:

@RR529 I remember those, and laughed at them. But I think it might just work. :)

Guardian of the Master Emerald
KI:U Spotpass Weapons Thread
My SEGAloggery
Check out 8 Bit Forward!
eShop Gurus
The 7 Emeralds are the servers. Chaos is power, enriched by the heart. The controller serves to unify the chaos. -Tikal

3DS Friend Code: 3265-5181-8557 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux27

AuthorMessage
Avatar

yemsols

12. Posted:

TheHunter wrote:

The charging port on my 3DS is officially busted. Since the 3DS and DSi use the same AC adapter, I was wondering if it would be possible to charge my 3DS's battery in my sister's DSi until such time as I can afford a new one. I appreciate the help.

Hey there please where can I find your avatar pic in its original size and if possible the artists name or weblink?

yemsols

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chris720

13. Posted:

The charging cradle contacts on my 3DS XL died months ago and they were never used... Ever. Full of dust and rust, they are very badly built. They won't sit on the contacts properly to charge making it completely useless. So even if you don't use them, they can easily get worn pretty quickly.

As for the OPs problem, just send it into Nintendo. As TBD has already mentioned, they all have different battery types, just the same voltage for charging. Simples.

This thread beats all other threads
My Unfinishedloggery of Games | Google+

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0642-9960 | Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter: Jirachi720