In what was surely the last notable information blow-out ahead of E3, we've had a Japanese Nintendo Direct broadcast focused on near-term Wii U and 3DS releases, with some Capcom Monster Hunter reveals thrown in. There were quite a few new games announced, fresh details on familiar titles and a new host in Morimoto-san, who's already mastered the 'Direct' gesture.
Overall it was a fairly entertaining show, and any broadcast that features a Chibi-Robo amiibo is successfully pulling some surprises out of the hat. Notable moments in our view came down to first footage of key releases, with Bandai Namco's free-to-play Wii U title Project Treasure shown, along with Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon footage and the particularly exciting Monster Hunter X (Cross); it's also clear that Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer is a budget retail release and a fairly major project, as it'll have multiple bundles and dedicated limited edition hardware in Japan. It is, ultimately, also a vehicle to drive interest and sales in amiibo cards and the standalone 3DS amiibo portal, all given release dates of 30th July in Japan. Oh, and we learned some interesting details about Fire Emblem If, and more besides that we can't squeeze into this brief introduction.
But hey, it's a Sunday, so you may not have scrolled through our coverage to date or seen all of the videos that have been released. Worry not, as here's your customary summary pointing you to all of the relevant articles, with the Direct itself and related trailers also included at the bottom. Everything you need, basically.
- Début Footage Unveiled for Bandai Namco Free-to-Play Title Project Treasure
- Super Mario Galaxy Released on the Wii U eShop in Japan
- Monster Hunter X Cross Announced for the 3DS, Hits Japan Winter 2015
- Fire Emblem If Town Building Feature Shown Off, Support For Current FE amiibo Confirmed
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, amiibo 3DS Portal and New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Given Japanese Release Dates
- Début Footage Unveiled for Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
- Chibi-Robo Platformer and amiibo Coming to 3DS in Japan This Fall
- New Dr. Mario Game Released in Japan
- Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Palico Village DX Heading to Japan This Year
Wii U & 3DS
Nintendo Direct and Trailers
Monster Hunter X (Cross):
Fire Emblem If (extended video):
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii U eShop)
Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Palico Village DX:
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon: