Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 4,839

Sisilly_G

Does New Zealand Story on Switch count?

I first played it via an arcade cabinet at a hotel we were staying at approximately 24 years ago and immediately fell in love with it.

It's not quite as hard as I thought it would be, but I'm also grateful that I can simply "insert coins" and pick up where I left off when I die, which was happening quite a lot in some of the later stages.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

dmcc0

Still picking up the odd Game Gear cart in anticipation of my Analog Pocket arriving at some point... This week it was Lion King.

Also picked up Jet Set Radio on Xbox as it's getting delisted from the 360 store, but isn't on the current store even though it's apparently Backwards compatible

dmcc0

HammerGalladeBro

@Tounushi I'd say one factor is if you intend to play Advance Wars: Dual Strike (also available on the Wii U Virtual Console) after you beat them.

I know i am, mostly because I don't know when I'll get Re-Boot Camp. Not at launch, that's for sure.

Edited on by HammerGalladeBro

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is now a hidden gem of the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0197-9566-9983 | 3DS Friend Code: 2251-9732-5870 | My Nintendo: AlexHGB | Nintendo Network ID: AHammerGalladeB

Fizza

After restoring to my decade-old Wii to it's former glory, I've decided to splurge the cash in order to celebrate it's return. Alongside a new Nunchuck to replace the one I lost....a decade ago when I originally got the system (don't ask me how I lived without one for over 5-6 years: I honestly do not know), I also picked up 3 games:

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (€4)
Untitled
Everyone who knows me on here is probably well-aware of the fact that I am an absolute Capcom fanboy. What started as an interest in Street Fighter content on Youtube and a desire to play Ace Attorney has quickly spiraled into me getting collections for AA, SF, Mega Man and even Capcom's arcade titles like Darkstalkers, Final Fight, etc. and developing a mad love for almost any series Capcom's produced, even if I've never played them before (one day RE....one day). Out of the titles they've made, one that always stood out to me was Zack & Wiki: a charming little puzzle game for Wii that has always been heralded as one of the system's most underrated titles ever since it's release. And after noticing a single listing from a CEX down the country, I seized my opportunity and grabbed it up ASAP. And for only €4 (€2 without delivery fees)? I think it was a pretty good cop personally.

Madworld (€12)
Untitled
I know basically nothing about this game other than

• it's monochrome
  • it's gorey
  • and that it's very well-received
    ....and honestly? I wouldn't have it any other way. It's nice to go into a game with absolutely no idea what lies ahead every once in a while and with such a captivating aesthetic? I can't wait to dig my teeth (and chainsaw) into this one!

And the biggest one of all...
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (€32)
Untitled
....I probably don't need to explain why I wanted this one. Not only is it not just one of the most revered Wii games of all time, but also one of the most revered games of all time. Not only does it take the ideas of the original and ramp up everything to an insane degree in terms of level design and concepts. AND NOT ONLY does it introduce goddamn YOSHI into the mix....it's also the sequel to my favourite Mario game of all time. A Mario game which also ranks within my Top 5 games ever created alongside Pokemon Black/White, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and others.

So yeah it's a bit of a steal at €32.

And that's all of them! Apologies for the length of this, it's just.... the fact that I'm finally able to play all of these games that I've been pining for for the better part of a decade is still absolutely wild to me even now. Will definitely be posting about my playthroughs of each here as well so keep an eye out for that!

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

dmcc0

@Fizza I feel like the Wii doesn't really get the credit it deserves and has been unfairly branded a shovelware/gimmick machine by some. While there was a fair amount of shovelware and a lot of games added a 'waggle' mechanic for no particular reason, there were a lot of great games too.

Haven't played Zack & Wiki, but it is on my list of stuff to pick up at some point. I did have Madworld and Galaxy 2 though. Thought Madworld was just OK - loved the art-style, but the game didn't really do it for me overall. Galaxy 2 is an absolute classic - although the first one is still better despite what anyone else says 😜

dmcc0

d0nkeyk0ng_jR

My latest retro purchase was Glover. Haven't really gotten to playing it, though.

The Deranged Mother Fan Attacks!

Zuljaras

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP ... 50 pounds ... but it is worth it! Who knows when I will get it though

Tounushi

There was a big sale of SEGA AGES games on the Switch, so I used some leftover gold coins to buy them.

As for what got me those coins... Good thing Wii U and 3DS purchases through the site get you coins.
Got the following:
3D Fantasy Zone II
3D Thunder Blade
Alien Crush
Battle Lode Runner
Big Brain Academy
Blazing Lazers
Bomberman '94
Bomberman: Panic Bomber
Chew Man Fu
China Warrior
Detana!! TwinBee
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain?
Final Soldier
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Lords of Thunder
Mario Party DS
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Stories
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
Picross 3D
Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
PUNCH-OUT!! (2009)
Sonic Labyrinth
The Delusions of Von Sottendorff and His Square Mind
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Underground
Warioware Gold
Warioware: Smooth Moves
Warioware: Touched!
Yoshi Touch & Go
Zombie Incident

Tounushi

Nintendo Network ID: Tounushi

Tendo64

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

Found it with case and manual on the cheaper side of what it generally commands here now, which is astronomical at anywhere from $229 right up to about $399. Luckily I paid nowhere near those prices.

Haven't played the game before and had been keen to try it for a long time, but the ever-growing price-tag was the only thing putting me off grabbing it.

Enjoyed 64, Super Paper Mario (Wii) and Origami King on Switch, but have heard this one might have them all covered.

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

KingMike

That price is ridiculous. I doubt it's even a rare game (it did get a Player's Choice print, which was how I got my copy, over a couple years after the game was released).

KingMike

HammerGalladeBro

Today, I came to the conclusion that I hate myself, as I decided to get a game I had previously bought but sold back when I needed money. That game is (drum roll)

Sonic and the Secret Rings for the Wii.

Yeah, it's as disappointing as I remembered it, however the redeeming factors (graphics and music) are as good as ever, even for an early Wii game.

OK, now I promise. No more physical games until the end of the month when the 3DS/Wii U eShops close. Let's focus on the final purchases.

Edited on by HammerGalladeBro

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is now a hidden gem of the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0197-9566-9983 | 3DS Friend Code: 2251-9732-5870 | My Nintendo: AlexHGB | Nintendo Network ID: AHammerGalladeB

XandertheWise

went to the mini mall earlier today this morning and bought two of the chinese knockoff NES Minis. One for me and the other extra one im giving to one of my siblings. Saturdays are new stuff in stock in the bins and 9 bucks each.

Today was a good day.

some of the good games out of the 628 games of the knock off

-Goonies
-Friday the 13th
-Dr Mario

• Bubble Bobble 1 or 2. Its called Gobble Bobble or whatever
    Robocop `1, 2, and 3
    Chip and Dale
    Bump and Jump
    Ghostbusters
    couple of weird Mario games
    Guerilla War
    POW

XandertheWise

dmcc0

Still continuing the Game Gear buying spree. Picked up Streets of Rage 2 (despite having multiple other ways to play it already), Dropzone, Alien 3 and Ariel The Little Mermaid in the last couple of weeks. Bringing my total to nearly 40 games....and I still don't have any way to play the games as the Analogue Pocket still hasn't arrived!

According to Wikipedia there were only around 200 PAL releases on Game gear, and most are still pretty reasonable priced, so I'm actually tempted to go for a complete (PAL) collection.

Also picked up Afro Samurai and the first Motorstorm game on PS3 - although admittedly not really retro...yet.

dmcc0

Tounushi

Zuljaras wrote:

Command & Conquer for the N64

Ooh, I remember that. Never actually played it, since I had Tiberian Sun on PC at the time (and still do).
I remember the review of it on TV and I questioned running it with a controller, though the footage looked alright. Is it as awkward as one might first think?

Tounushi

Nintendo Network ID: Tounushi

Zuljaras

@Tounushi I do not know as I will be waiting around a month to get it Brexit suz!

But I played WarCraft II on PS1 and loved it!

My ultimate goal is to get StarCraft 64 but the Australian copy is too expensive it starts at 300$. AU as it is the only copy that runs on EU N64 consoles. My other option is to import US N64 and get StarCraft 64 for 90$

Tasuki

@Zuljaras I forgot that Warcraft II was on PS1. I only saw it a few times at Gamestop back in the days. Of course during the PS One era I was mainly a PC gamer so, I just played it on PC.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

XandertheWise

Bought another Mini Retro knock off of a NES Mini. Bought it for 9 bucks from the DaaBin store at the mini mall earlier this morning. Had to get another one to give to one of my sisters.

That and the Indiana Jones Complete Movies Adventures blu ray which is pretty sweet. Better than paying 30 bucks for one at Walmart

XandertheWise

Tasuki

@Zuljaras Nice purchase there!!! I never played Star Craft 64 before although I have heard good things about it. RTS are not my type of game as I don't have patience for them lol. I remember though watching my friends play alot of Star Craft and War Craft on the PC back in the day. It still amazed me that they we able to port it to the N64. Is there a lot of differences between the N64 port and PC game?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic