Forums

Topic: The N64 Thread

Posts 241 to 260 of 301

BloodNinja

@Zuljaras Ah, so it seems dependent on the game, interesting! Thanks for the reply!

BloodNinja

BloodNinja

Neat!! The more you know.

BloodNinja

AlexHarford

I have very fond memories of the N64. I had school friends come down on lunch break just to play (or watch) Mario 64 for a few minutes. It also continued the trend of the SNES with loads of excellent multiplayer games. And in the UK, given the N64 was delayed until March 1997 - despite only 4 games at launch, many of the very best games were launched within the first 12 months. It was never a console where we were short of games we wanted.

Most recently, we've played Wetrix (my favourite puzzle game on the console), NBA Courtside, Excitebike 64 and Perfect Dark.

I seem to be the odd one out in that I found the Rareware platformers boring - the only one I didn't play extensively was Conker's Bad Fur Day, and maybe it was the humour that made me enjoy this one a bit more. I loved the DKC games and Battletoads on the SNES. I didn't like Majora's Mask either.

Recently, I realised the N64 could make a strong claim to be the best console game of its era for sports. ISS was the best football/soccer game of its era and was anything better than 1080 or Excitebike for those sports? If you count wrestling, No Mercy is still unbeatable in my opinion.

Absolute favourite N64 games:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
International Superstar Soccer 64 & 2000 (I enjoyed the extras like the scenarios, and the career mode seemed decent at time time)
Perfect Dark (a vast improvement on Goldeneye 007, and Goldeneye was already brilliant)
Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars (my first cinematic experience in gaming)
Super Mario 64 (still awesome. I love the nostalgia for it in Odyssey)
WWF No Mercy (still the best wrestling game. Wrestling Empire comes closest from what I've played, despite its hilarious glitches)

Other favourites:

1080° Snowboarding
Blast Corps (seems dated more than most but still fun)
Body Harvest
Diddy Kong Racing (a great story mode, but MK64 beat it for multiplayer)
Excitebike 64 (I still love it to this day and think it controls brilliantly)
F1 World Grand Prix II
F-Zero X (didn't like the original F-Zero all that much but love X (and GX))
Goldeneye 007
Mario Kart 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (one of the funniest games I've played)
NBA Courtside
Rogue Squadron
Shadow Man
Top Gear Rally
Turok & Turok 2
Wave Race 64
WWF Wrestlemania

Also loved:

Beetle Adventure Racing
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Golf
Mario Party 2
Re-Volt
Space Station Silicon Valley (I only played the first couple of levels and would like to return to this)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Wetrix
World Driver Championship
Yoshi's Story

We (the N64 was shared with my bro') still have our original collection including other good games I didn't get around to playing much like Operation Winback and Hybrid Heaven.

Edited on by AlexHarford

arnoldfranklin

Has anyone played Tonic Trouble?

arnoldfranklin

My Nintendo: namely_one

Cotillion

During the previous generation, I was in Nintendos camp, but I liked the Genesis and some of what Sega was doing and adored the original Sonic trilogy. When the next gen hit, I was firmly in Nintendos camp with the n64.
Some friends had Playstations, but I couldn't get past the loading times.
n64 was a multiplayer beast, even with online and WiFi nowadays, I don't think anything will match the couch multiplayer of the n64 in it's own era. One that got an insane amount of playtime with friends (besides the obvious Goldeneye) was Killer Instinct Gold. We were still playing that after the next gen came out.

Cotillion

andykara2003

I was a New Age traveller and raver in the early to mid 90s and so had missed out on gaming for a good few years since my ZX spectrum days. I went to stay with a house dwelling friend of mine in 97 - they’d just bought Mario 64 and Mario kart 64. I was so blown away I can’t tell you, been an avid Nintendo fan ever since. Still have a host of CRTs and original consoles for the nostalgia feel.

Switch friend code : SW-2186-1426-3518

Nintendo Network ID: Andykara2003

KingMike

I tried to find the annual classic Halloween thread but it seems to be gone.

So I got to ask what @ogo79 thinks about tricking children with the new NSO Premium subscriptions so they may walk right into N64 games themselves. Does that count as a jumpscare?

KingMike

ogo79

@KingMike dont remind me of the n64. this pandemic is bad enough!

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

TommyTendo

I had to buy Pokémon Stadium 2 in Denmark since I couldn't find it in Norway when I was a kid

P_i_x_3_L

Alright so I don't know where else to turn but I've noticed something in a few Nintendo games. Which I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice but it kinda creeps me out?

So, I've been playing Nintendo games for years on the N64 but rather recently I've discovered that in two Nintendo released games, specifically Pokémon Puzzle League and Aero Fighters Assault, there are two voice lines that are identical but there's no info if there was a developer who jumped between the companies.

The voice line in question is "When you're hot, you're hot!" and is heard by Blaine (PPL) and by Glenda (AFA). I have a gut feeling telling me that there may be more to it than just these games or maybe I'm overthinking on it. But no matter the case, I would still like to know why there are similar voice lines for both games who are made by two different companies and doesn't have any record of any developers jumping ship.

I would love to know more, so if anyone knows anything about this, let me know!

Edited on by P_i_x_3_L

I use Arch btw.

Twitter:

F-ZeroX

Tomorrow never dies 64 is the latest GoldenEye campaign based entirely on a Bond movie (the other two being Goldfinger and The Spy who loved me). You can find them at N64vault.com

😂

Edited on by F-ZeroX

F-ZeroX

Tobiaku

If I were to buy a Japanese 64, will my European electricity cable work on it or would I need to buy a converter for the Japanese cable?

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

F-ZeroX

@Tobiaku You can just plug the power adapter of your PAL N64 into the back of your NTSC-J N64. If you use the power adapter of the Japanese N64 you will need a converter (I plugged mine into the outlet and immediately smoke starting coming out. They are two different electricity grids, not compatible.) I got an RGB modded N64 for better picture quality. Got it for the NTSC version of F-Zero X, which runs faster than the PAL version.

Edit: Japanese N64's will usually run USA NTSC as well, or you need to make a small physical adjustment for the cartridge to fit. I kinda realize now I prefer US NTSC because I can read the text. Japanese N64 games do have some nice box art.

Edited on by F-ZeroX

F-ZeroX

Ryu_Niiyama

Caved and bought bomberman 64: second attack in Japanese CIB too. Happy to finally have it.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tobiaku

@F-ZeroX Thanks for the answer, I appreachiate it. had already figured out I could use my adapter.
Got a Japanese N64 since there are Japan exclusive games I want to play.

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic