Forums

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 736

StarBoy91

@Mickey - Fighter's Destiny is a decent fighting game, and it is no Mortal Kombat clone.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

What's a good Nintendo 64 Fighters that's not a Mortal Kombat clone?

lol. You're out of luck. Good luck finding any Fighters, Horror games, RPG's and SideScrollers on the N64
If you won't those, than your best bet was the PSOne at the time. If you didn't have both systems during that generation you were clearly missing out.

Fighting game - there are over a dozen of them. One of them has to be good.
Horror games - There's Resident Evil 1 and 2, and a few more that I can't remember off hand.
RPGs - Okay, there's only 2, and the only good one is on the VC.
Side Scrollers - there's 4 or 5 of them, and they're all really good.

And I do have both Systems. I just want a fighting game on my Nintendo 64 is all.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

J_K

Non-MK clone eh? Depends what you'd exactly call a MK clone I suppose. Pretty sure though that Killer Instinct Gold would be too much like MK to bother. Basically also, even the suckiest of N64 fighters all similarly for the most part are like MK in that they are side battlers, have some sort of way to kill the other guy (not just a KO), and like MK they come both in the 2D or 3D variety. I know it's of little help, but gamefaqs.com, n64, sort by fighting games and maybe you'll get lucky reading a few reviews or faqs.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

CanisWolfred

J.K. wrote:

Non-MK clone eh? Depends what you'd exactly call a MK clone I suppose. Pretty sure though that Killer Instinct Gold would be too much like MK to bother. Basically also, even the suckiest of N64 fighters all similarly for the most part are like MK in that they are side battlers, have some sort of way to kill the other guy (not just a KO), and like MK they come both in the 2D or 3D variety. I know it's of little help, but gamefaqs.com, n64, sort by fighting games and maybe you'll get lucky reading a few reviews or faqs.

There are Mortal Kombat clones that copy Mortal Kombat, and there are Virtua Fighter clones, which copy Virtua Fighter. I'd prefer the latter. I don't like Virtua Fighter, but its at least playable.

Lucky for me I have some friends who are HUGE Nintendo 64 fanboys, and they recommended me a few games, and outta those, I finally found two that interested me, and the best one never came out in the U.S.

My next Fighting Game - Flying Dragon.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

@mickeymac:
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
Not at all a MK clone or a VF clone.
It's pretty much fully 3D, you can tear limbs off your opponents, and a fight sometimes ends early if you... rip off your opponent's head.

The move list is incredibly complicated though, so it's not for everyone.

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

@mickeymac:
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
It's pretty much fully 3D, you can tear limbs off your opponents, and a fight sometimes ends early if you... rip off your opponent's head.

I'm not into gorefests. That's why I don't like Mortal Kombat, or its clones.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

@mickeymac:
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.

I'm not into gorefests. That's why I don't like Mortal Kombat, or its clones.

Oh, okay, I don't think I have anything else to offer then - that, MK4, and SSB were my only fighters on the N64, I think.
Oh, I know!
Xena: Warrior Princess - Talisman of Fate

NotEnoughGolds

That_Guy_from_Faxana

StarBoy91 wrote:

@Mickey - Fighter's Destiny is a decent fighting game, and it is no Mortal Kombat clone.

Probably tho only decent one. But no, there were NO "good" fightinggames on the N64. No fighters from Capcom, Namco, SNK or Arc Systemworks... or SEGA

That_Guy_from_Faxana

CanisWolfred

That+Guy+from+Faxanadu wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Probably tho only decent one. But no, there were NO "good" fightinggames on the N64. No fighters from Capcom, Namco, SNK or Arc Systemworks... or SEGA

I'm well aware of that. I got Flying Dragon on my list, I think that should be good enough for now. Unfortunately, OCD is forcing me to find one more N64 game in general to put on said list so I can make it a multiple of 5. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Lotice-Paladin

I would have said Smash Bros but I am betting you already have that.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

CanisWolfred

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Yup. I just ended up taking off stuff from my list instead. I doubt I'd want all the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness anyways.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Yup. I just ended up taking off stuff from my list instead. I doubt I'd want all the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness anyways.

Ahhh!!!! Those are both excellent games.
Bomberman Hero, as well.

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Bomberman Hero, as well.

Not in my book. Not by the looks of it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Bomberman Hero, as well.

At least get Bomberman Hero, its single player was pretty entertaining imo (though it has no multiplayer).
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness has such a great soundtrack and atmosphere that I really think you're missing out by not getting it (then again, this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like the franchise as a whole so ymmv).

What's your list looking like now? I could probably recommend a few that you're missing to round your collection up instead of down.

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Bomberman Hero, as well.

At least get Bomberman Hero, its single player was pretty entertaining imo (though it has no multiplayer).
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness has such a great soundtrack and atmosphere that I really think you're missing out by not getting it (then again, this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like the franchise as a whole so ymmv).

What's your list looking like now? I could probably recommend a few that you're missing to round your collection up instead of down.

I can understand that, it probably isn't that bad, but the problem is that I am a Castlevania fan, and an old-school one at that. In my eyes, Castlevania is supposed to be a straight-forward action game, not a Zelda clone. I was meerly going to get it for collection purposes, but the prices seem to exceed its true worth. I may get it if it comes to the VC, but otherwise I feel that its a part of Castlevania's history better left forgotten.

Anyways, here's my complete N64 wishlist, if you're still interested:

Nintendo 64 Wishlist wrote:

29 in total. 15 on Must-Buy List

Bomberman 64
Donkey Kong 64
DOOM 64
Excitebike 64
Flying Dragon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Pilotwings 64
Rockets: Robots on Wheels
Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers
Turok: Rage Wars
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Wipeout 64

Maybe:

Battle Tanx
Beatles Racing
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
Bomberman Hero
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Conker Bad Fur Day
Goldeneye 007
Jet Force Gemini
Nightmare Creatures
WinBack

VC:

Chameleon Twist
Ogre Battle 64
Pokemon Snap
Wave Race 64

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

No Rush games? I definitely have to recommend Rush 2049.
Then I'd recommend Extreme-G (high-speed racer) and Robotron 64 (a remake of Robotron 2084).

I think I'll take another look when I got home and try to find games that I think are must-haves. Of the above 3, I think Rush 2049 is the only must-have, but the other two are quality titles as well. Robotron 64 can be played using two joysticks on two controllers!

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

No Rush games? I definitely have to recommend Rush 2049.
Then I'd recommend Extreme-G (high-speed racer) and Robotron 64 (a remake of Robotron 2084).

I think I'll take another look when I got home and try to find games that I think are must-haves. Of the above 3, I think Rush 2049 is the only must-have, but the other two are quality titles as well. Robotron 64 can be played using two joysticks on two controllers!

The Dreamcast version of Rush 2049 is greatly improved over the N64 version, so I don't need the N64 version.

Extreme-G wasn't really anything special, if I remember correctly, and I can get the far better Extreme-G 3 on the Gamecube for practically pennies.

I really did consider getting Robotron 64, but after watching a video, it looked very slow-paced and mundane for a game of that type. Not my thing, really.

They're still good picks, just not for me. I do look forward to seeing whatever else you can come up with.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Lotice-Paladin

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

True. It's shame that about 50% of the N64 library is Nintendo/Rare...

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic