Forums

Topic: Retro recommendations thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 736

HiroshiYamauchi

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

No Rush games? I definitely have to recommend Rush 2049.
Then I'd recommend Extreme-G (high-speed racer) and Robotron 64 (a remake of Robotron 2084).

I think I'll take another look when I got home and try to find games that I think are must-haves. Of the above 3, I think Rush 2049 is the only must-have, but the other two are quality titles as well. Robotron 64 can be played using two joysticks on two controllers!

The Dreamcast version of Rush 2049 is greatly improved over the N64 version, so I don't need the N64 version.

Extreme-G wasn't really anything special, if I remember correctly, and I can get the far better Extreme-G 3 on the Gamecube for practically pennies.

I really did consider getting Robotron 64, but after watching a video, it looked very slow-paced and mundane for a game of that type. Not my thing, really.

They're still good picks, just not for me. I do look forward to seeing whatever else you can come up with.

Rush 2 is a much better game than Rush 2049, IMO, and is a N64 exclusive. So even if you have 2049 on the Dreamcast, you should give Rush 2 a try.

HiroshiYamauchi

CanisWolfred

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

I would have said Smash Bros but I am betting you already have that.

Yup. I just ended up taking off stuff from my list instead. I doubt I'd want all the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness anyways.

True. It's shame that about 50% of the N64 library is Nintendo/Rare...

Actually, only about 20 or so games in the N64's library came from Nintendo - much less than any other generation. They relied much more on Rare, and even then they only put out maybe around 10 games. The problem is that they make up 50% of the games worth playing on it, and I didn't like half of what Nintendo put out, and I hated virtually every Rareware N64 game except for Donkey Kong 64 (and even then, that's mostly nostalgia talking). So basically my options are limited. In fact, I only have 15 N64 games currectly in my possession, including VC games, and I'm getting ready to sell half of them. Luckily its no longer my only console, but its still sad that I won't have much reason to play it like I used to.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

@Mickeymac - if I remember correctly, the later levels are pretty intense in Robotron.
Obviously if you have XGIII and SFR2049DC there's no reasons to buy the N64 versions... yeah I'm going to have to double-check my games when I get home.

@StarBoy: your mileage may vary

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

@Mickeymac - if I remember correctly, the later levels are pretty intense in Robotron.

The problem is that it takes way too long to get to that point. Smash TV, Robotron 2084, and I MAED A GAM3 WITH ZOMBIES IN IT!!!!!!1 all became very intense very fast, and I liked that about them. Robotron 64 takes far too long to get any good.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Okay, I'm not going through the entire 1000+ PSOne collection to try to find some good games, so I'll just ask here: Can anyone recommend some good PSOne games?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Tasuki wrote:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear
Legend of Dragoon

You managed to list two of the few PSOne I already have unfortunately, but Legend of Dragoon sounds like a good pick, and a cheap one too.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

Sorry bout that lol. Yeah Legend of Dragoon is a good one especially if you like RPGs. IMO its a better RPG than FF7. The story is a good one and it is 4 disc long but I found myself still interested in the Story line as I went from disc to disc. So few games do that when they are that long. Another good RPG is Suikoden if you dont have that one yet.

Damn it now I am going to have to go and play Legend of Dragoon again.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

brooks83

PSOne reccomendations eh? Some of my favs that you may not have played off the top of my head: Disruptor, Soviet Strike, Doom, Destruction Derby, Suikoden, Battle Arena Toshinden, Panzer General

brooks83

CanisWolfred

brooks83 wrote:

PSOne reccomendations eh? Some of my favs that you may not have played off the top of my head: Disruptor, Soviet Strike, Doom, Destruction Derby, Suikoden, Battle Arena Toshinden, Panzer General

You're right, I haven't played them. Thank you!

Anybody else have any suggestions?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

Another good but might be hard to find is Alundra its a zelda-typea game. I remember playing that game over and over untill I loaned it to someone and never got it back.

Some other good RPGs are Breath of Fire III, Grandstream Saga.

Spyro the Dragon is a good platform game if you like those kinda games, also you cant go wrong with the first 2 Twisted Metal games.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NotEnoughGolds

Twisted Metal 2, Intelligent Qube

Edit: Apparently I.Q. is rather pricey ($50+) unless you get the Japanese import ($5-$15)
Unless PS1 is region-locked, I doubt buying the Japanese version would hinder the experience at all. You'd probably just hear "PERFECT!" in a different language.

Edited on by NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Edit: Apparently I.Q. is rather pricey ($50+) unless you get the Japanese import ($5-$15)
Unless PS1 is region-locked, I doubt buying the Japanese version would hinder the experience at all. You'd probably just hear "PERFECT!" in a different language.

The PS1 and PS2 are region-locked and there's no way to unlock them without going through some complicated and expensive process.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NotEnoughGolds

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

The PS1 and PS2 are region-locked and there's no way to unlock them without going through some complicated and expensive process.

Lame. I can't believe I.Q. is so expensive. Oh! Some 3DO ports that are... almost as good on the PS.
Road Rash 3D
Return Fire

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Lame. I can't believe I.Q. is so expensive. Oh! Some 3DO ports that are... almost as good on the PS.
Road Rash 3D
Return Fire

Road Rash 3D looks almost as good as the Genesis ones. I'll be sure to pick it up, thanks.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

brooks83

I haven't played it, but I hear Road Rash Jailbreak is the closest to the feel of the Genesis games. I think the other 2 PS1 Road Rash games don't rely on combat that much.

brooks83

NotEnoughGolds

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Road Rash 3D
Return Fire

Road Rash 3D looks almost as good as the Genesis ones. I'll be sure to pick it up, thanks.

The 3DO version of Road Rash is the best one of the franchise imo.
I'm not sure if the port is 100% perfect but I'm sure it's definitely worth picking up.
It had a really great soundtrack for its time, too - it included 4 Soundgarden tracks, as well as Monster Magnet, Paw, Hammerbox, Therapy?, and Swervedriver.

Also make sure to consider Return Fire. It's a CTF game in which you use tanks, choppers, and jeeps to destroy the enemy base and return their flag to your own base. Later levels contain multiple bases for each side - only one of which has their flag. You have to employ some strategy, as recklessly invading each base may result in losing all of your vehicles.
It's especially great as a multiplayer game.

NotEnoughGolds

CanisWolfred

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Road Rash 3D
Return Fire

The 3DO version of Road Rash is the best one of the franchise imo.
I'm not sure if the port is 100% perfect but I'm sure it's definitely worth picking up.
It had a really great soundtrack for its time, too - it included 4 Soundgarden tracks, as well as Monster Magnet, Paw, Hammerbox, Therapy?, and Swervedriver.

Also make sure to consider Return Fire. It's a CTF game in which you use tanks, choppers, and jeeps to destroy the enemy base and return their flag to your own base. Later levels contain multiple bases for each side - only one of which has their flag. You have to employ some strategy, as recklessly invading each base may result in losing all of your vehicles.
It's especially great as a multiplayer game.

To be quite honest, I thought the music was downright terrible. But music doesn't make or break a game. I'll make sure to grab it, along with the other Road Rash games Brook83 mentioned.

As for Return Fire...I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

brooks83

Actually, if you have a PS3, can't you somehow download I.Q from the Japanese PSN?

brooks83

Lotice-Paladin

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Relevant+Latty wrote:

I would have said Smash Bros but I am betting you already have that.

Yup. I just ended up taking off stuff from my list instead. I doubt I'd want all the Bomberman 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness anyways.

True. It's shame that about 50% of the N64 library is Nintendo/Rare...

Actually, only about 20 or so games in the N64's library came from Nintendo - much less than any other generation. They relied much more on Rare, and even then they only put out maybe around 10 games. The problem is that they make up 50% of the games worth playing on it, and I didn't like half of what Nintendo put out, and I hated virtually every Rareware N64 game except for Donkey Kong 64 (and even then, that's mostly nostalgia talking). So basically my options are limited. In fact, I only have 15 N64 games currectly in my possession, including VC games, and I'm getting ready to sell half of them. Luckily its no longer my only console, but its still sad that I won't have much reason to play it like I used to.

Ah I see...I didn't expect that really...but when I think of the console, I can only think of the Nintendo/Rare games, any other game created is pretty unheard of...doesn't it also have one of the smallest libraries out of every console other then the add-on's SEGA created and that SuperGraphix?

Sorry to hear that you're selling it. Sounds like it just wasn't your perfered console despite liking a few of those games.

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic