Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,661 to 15,680 of 16,083

Octane

@Pizzamorg With the physical games, you can always sell them, and make your money back that way. If you don't care about keeping the game around, and it playing it once is good enough for you, that's one way of saving money.

The additional $100 is certainly excessive. 4K UHD blu ray players are probably around $50 or so, but the price difference is certainly done to nod people towards the digital only system, as it's way more profitable for them.

Octane

Pizzamorg

Yeah I guess it's one of those @Ralizah am I patient? No lol it seems Sony is starting to embrace the PC more, but they still very much live in a world where their main goal is shifting systems. This may change in future, but if I'm having to wait a couple of years to play every exclusive title on PC that may come along this generation, I think I'd rather just play it day and date on the console. Especially as this generation is, at least for now, targeting 4k60. I probably won't have a significantly better experience on my PC, in the same way I did have when I played games I was playing on my base PS4 on PC for the first time.

And @Octane that's very much a good shout. It's kinda how I did it for years when I was a focused console gamer, I basically just rented games from the atore lol playing a title and then as soon as I was done I would trade it in for something else. I think I went quite a few years where I didn't actually spend a penny on games.

That only really changed for me in the last couple of years. Steam has an excellent refund policy, and because of Covid I'm in the city less, plus I just love the general convenience of a digital title. However, knowing how expensive Sony's digital store is and them wacking an extra premium on their titles, I guess I'm gonna have to go back to the old ways. But I do think that PS Plus Extra will tide me over for the time being.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

My PS5 arrived yesterday, I heard all the stories, but it still took to actually handling one in person to truly appreciate what an ugly machine this is. It is still pretty heavy too, I thought since the Series X seemed to like condense the mass it would be heavier, but I'd argue the PS5 isn't any lighter, despite spreading its mass over a wider surface area. It is also louder than my Series X too, I basically don't hear the machine at all despite that massive vent on the top, but even when like watching Netflix the PS5 is whirring away, which is kinda concerning. Although it doesn't get much louder when playing games, so I dunno, does the fan kick in extra hard as like a precaution? It is how I have set up my PC tbf, the moment there is a sign of heat I basically get the fans to kick into full power.

I also dunno whether it is just because I am more of an Xbox guy so I am just used their homescreen but I find the PS5 really hard to navigate, looks of stuff tucked away in sub menus or like hidden and you have to work out how to pull it out. I had to Google how to find a few things and that made me feel stupid. The screenshot situation is also really weird, if you don't get the screenshots from the companion app or download it to a USB, it aggressively compresses the shots? This makes sharing to Twitter directly basically worthless. Even like trying to find the right version of games seems to be a confusing mess, trying to find the PS5 PS Plus version of a game requires a lot of trial and error clicking until stuff is eventually found.

Oh and no NFL Gamepass app in Europe, what the ***** is that about? I appreciate it is somewhat of a niche thing, but a PS4 app exists, it is just not on the PS5 for some reason. Even though stuff like Disney plus is listed as a "PS4 App" so other PS4 apps have been ported? I dunno, seems like a real mess.

BUT. I did finally get to play Ghost of Tsushima and man, I dunno what resolution and fps the PS5 version is running in, but I ran it in the high-resolution mode, and it felt smooth and looked gorgeous. Like it might be one of the nicest, most visually striking, games I have ever seen. I wish I could more easily share screenshots.

Plus, the use of the new controller, man, it might be a gimmick but what a compelling gimmick. I wasn't sure on the controller at first, mirroring the two consoles, the PS5 controller is longer and thinner than the Xbox Controller and my hands are only small. However, as soon as I felt like the different terrain under my feet and the resistance on the bow and other things on the controller, I was all in. The 3D audio on the PS5 is also surprisingly excellent out of the box. I use headphones that are really designed to be driven by an AMP and paired with a DAC, but I just plugged them directly into the controller and the 3D audio sounds incredible.

I have queued up a bunch of stuff, like I know there isn't like an FPS boost equivalent, but I am excited to play Until Dawn again. I have the Final Fantasy remake queued up as I heard the PC Port kinda sucks (or at least it did on release, maybe they have patched it since). Gonna also try and replay God of War in time for Ragnarok. I was a bit confused about why there is no PS5 version, but apparently the PS4 version runs in a resolution and FPS comparable to running the PC version on high settings on a decent rig, so I dunno what makes a PS5 version a PS5 version.

Fox-McCloud

Hope they bring out GTA6 on PS4, saves me having to get a PS5 for a while at least.

Fox-McCloud

Jhena

@Pizzamorg

Nice to hear about your experience. The loudness of the fan is really something that could turn me off from buying a PS 5. I think the PS4 pro is much too loud for a gaming system. Is it comparable in loudness?

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Pizzamorg

Jhena wrote:

@Pizzamorg
Nice to hear about your experience. The loudness of the fan is really something that could turn me off from buying a PS 5. I think the PS4 pro is much too loud for a gaming system. Is it comparable in loudness?

I'd say the PS4 pro is probably way louder, honestly the PS4 in general was quite a loud console when you were running an older system with a newer game, and it is definitely not like that. I honestly think it wouldn't have bothered me and could have quite easily have drowned it out in the ambient noise of my house, but it was just a surprise to hear the machine at all when I took my headphones off as like I say my Xbox is basically silent.

And also like I say, it is generally quite confusing. Will it get louder over the generation, if it is already loud enough to be noticed at the start of the generation? Cause like it seems as loud as it does running Netflix as it does running a game, so I wonder if it is a software thing rather than anything else. Like an intentional choice just as a precaution. Maybe the machine just doesn't manage heat passively as well as the Xbox does, I guess we will only know later into the cycle if it does become another PS4 Pro that under strain sounded like a vacuum cleaner, lol.

Jhena

@Pizzamorg

Glad I am not the only one who thinks the PS 4 Pro is too loud. And I am glad to hear the PS 5 is much less loud. Well the rest sounds pretty good. Especially the controller gimmick sounds very interesting.
I hope you will have a great time with the PS 5.

Edit: I have a question regarding trophies for older games. I know Dark Chronicle has trophies now, but are they only working for the digital version or can I just put the DVD in the PS 5 and unlock the trophies as usual?

Edited on by Jhena

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Magician

God of War Ragnarok is the best looking PS4 game to date.

It's wild to see PS4 entering its 10th year on the market in November.

One of the all-time great platforms, but when will Sony let it fade away?

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Octane

@Pizzamorg I can't recommend Astro Bot enough. That's the best showcase for the new controller IMO.

Octane

Zuljaras

Fallout 4 will get a GOTY - Steelbook Edition in November. I wonder if they would actually put an updated Disc inside or they will do their usual thing and put the basic disc inside

Pizzamorg

NeonPizza wrote:

and includes gyro of the same exact quality

I just discovered this last night. The controller is my favourite part of the PS5 and knowing it has gyro too... just next level stuff. I guess the question though is how many games will make use of it.

NeonPizza wrote:

@Jhena
My PS5 has been pretty silent. The PS4 pro that I had prior sounded like a darth Vader jet engine 👀

Also, you are blessed. Mine is anything but. I had to Google it to make sure I wasn't going mad or that my console isn't busted, but no, it looks like you are just one in a million to have silent PS5.

Pizzamorg

When I first started playing Ghost of Tsushima, I was really unsure of it. One of the most common narratives I remember seeing is how this wasn't "like one of those poopy modern AC games, there is no level gating for a start!" and while that is true in a very strict sense (yes there is no 'you need to be x level to do this task'), I feel like this is somewhat of a disingenuous statement.

Vanilla Jin sucks ass. I was roaming around the map thinking there was no level gating and getting absolutely destroyed everywhere I went. Once you've done the opening few missions Jin's arsenal and power expands exponentially and from there Jin becomes basically a God in a matter of hours of open world messing around but for some reason no one talks about those early few hours, even though it is kinda vital to know.

I pushed through, however, and while I'd argue that maybe the game is a little too easy now (yes even for me), it is just so much fun and while its template references many titles, there is something unique about how everything is blended together.

It has extreme, brutal, violence but often this takes place on backdrops of almost supernatural beauty, the PS5 upgrade truly capturing the way this world glows and sings, with its vibrant flowers, atmospheric weather and day night cycles and gorgeous lighting.

The preaching about violence and honour and all that ***** is a little cliche and grows wearisome even in these opening ten or so hours, but other than snide comments from locals, there is no other punishment for just being a badass and I wish more games just let me enjoy being this cool.

Like stealth is actually pretty robust if you want to play that way, even without gyro aiming on the bow with the haptics etc is pretty nice if you use it only on mostly stationary targets for stealth purposes. The animations for a lot of the stealth takedowns are just so wonderfully brutal and things like the Longbow just allow for some ridiculous power fantasy. I tend to use the sticky bombs anyway for the sheer ridiculousness of it, but then lobbing in an explosive arrow to set everyone on fire for good measure is nice too. That is ignoring all the emergent things you can do like disturbing hornets' nests, or spilling fire from lanterns or letting beasts out of cages. You can create a lot of carnage from the shadows if you want to. And I do want to, over and over again.

But it is the full-frontal assault where the game really sings and often in games like this, it feels like you are expected to stealth as much as you can as a full-frontal assault is like playing on hard mode, but here it is just glorious.

Initiate a standoff as Jin shouts something badass like 'Send out your strongest warrior'. Voice raised, but still somehow calm. His cadence, and emotional levels in his speech somehow mirror how he fights.

You immediately slice down the first three guys who rush you. Those remaining pause for a second and then commit. Jin doesn't care, four guys, eight, twelve? He effortlessly glides between a style suited to his enemy. Parrying, weaving, each strike measured and precise. Each style coming with its own rich animations as he swings his sword, his feet and body. Slicing down each foe, one by one, while deflecting arrows like a lightsaber does blaster fire. As the final enemies remain, you strike one down with a Heaven's Strike, just to make sure the remaining few enemies die with fear in their hearts.

The Vengeful Spirit of Tsushima.

(God damn this is my cheesiest post of all time, but I am full UwU guys. This game!!!!)

Edited on by Pizzamorg

jedgamesguy

Love your write-up @Pizzamorg, can't say much more than that. Thing I love most about this game is how utterly beautiful it is. The storytelling, music, writing, even the cinematography. It really feels like a movie first and a game second.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Pizzamorg

TheJGG wrote:

Love your write-up @Pizzamorg, can't say much more than that. Thing I love most about this game is how utterly beautiful it is. The storytelling, music, writing, even the cinematography. It really feels like a movie first and a game second.

100%! It is amazing how cinematic it is able to be, even in messy open world engagements. Like those initial frames when you initiate a standoff, or the duels you have during some of the missions are all incredible, but you can have really cinematic moments just by accident in moment-to-moment gameplay as well. I also just love as the blood cakes onto Jin, or the mud, or the rain, just looking at him as he sheathes his sword, covered in blood. So cool.

I also think it is really cool that there seems to be enough canned shot types to avoid repetition and constantly surprise. Like the camera swooping around from underneath, or like a crane shot looking straight down, or a manipulation of the FOV to get more of the surroundings in the frame around you. I am just constantly in awe of all of it.

CJD87

@Pizzamorg Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ghost, and similar to you I had a wonderful experience with this game!

I played earlier this year, and was lucky enough to get the Director's Cut version - including the 'Iki Island' expansion DLC.

Ghost is a phenomenal game in so many ways. Its story is actually a relatively simple narrative, but told in such an engaging way - and driven by characters you genuinely begin to care for.

I enjoyed it so much that I pushed for the platinum on the base game, and then went straight into Iki Island. I thought Iki was even better than the main game, and did a great job of fleshing out Jin's backstory and character. Iki Island gave me real 'Resident Evil' vibes at times (in the best way possible!) due to the campy horror style and voodoo antagonist.

A great blueprint for open-world games, and gets much more 'right' than it does 'wrong'. It sits in my top3 open-world alongside BOTW and Elden Ring.

CJD87

Pizzamorg

CJD87 wrote:

@Pizzamorg Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ghost, and similar to you I had a wonderful experience with this game!
I played earlier this year, and was lucky enough to get the Director's Cut version - including the 'Iki Island' expansion DLC.

Ghost is a phenomenal game in so many ways. Its story is actually a relatively simple narrative, but told in such an engaging way - and driven by characters you genuinely begin to care for.

I enjoyed it so much that I pushed for the platinum on the base game, and then went straight into Iki Island. I thought Iki was even better than the main game, and did a great job of fleshing out Jin's backstory and character. Iki Island gave me real 'Resident Evil' vibes at times (in the best way possible!) due to the campy horror style and voodoo antagonist.

A great blueprint for open-world games, and gets much more 'right' than it does 'wrong'. It sits in my top3 open-world alongside BOTW and Elden Ring.

I am pleased you liked it, I thought I was being a bit cringe haha.

I am playing the game through PS Plus, so I believe that includes Iki Island too, right? I haven't unlocked that yet though in my playthrough (not really sure how all that works).

I also only just realised I am only in one third of the map and I am already over 15 hours in. The HLTB timeframe is between 20 to 60 hours, and unless the next two map parts are very light on content, I have no idea how you clear this in 20 hours!

But yeah, I will need to reserve judgement, but if my enjoyment in this portion carries all the way through, this has to go down as one my favourite open world games ever.

CJD87

@Pizzamorg No not cringe at all mate, it is genuinely a really really great game!

Yes I believe it is the 'Director's Cut' version on PS+, so you'll have the pleasure of going to Iki Island
Iki unlocks sometime through 'Act 2' of the main game, but honestly IMO you are best waiting and leaving Iki until after you've beaten the base game for 2 reasons:
1) Open-world games are big, and you might have burn out by the end of Base-Ghost. By leaving Iki on the side, you could play something else different and then return.
2) The enemies are much stronger in Iki, so completing the base game first will allow you to have best gear and skill unlocks.

Ha yeh the HLTB timeframe of 20hrs (!) is ambitious. I got the platinum on the base game in about 60hrs, and then the Iki trophies took another 8-10 hrs. If you just want to smash out the main game, and do a few side quests along the way, I reckon you're looking at 30-35 minimum. Also I played on lethal difficulty, and some camps took me a fair few tries - which obviously increased my play time.

Take your time with it and savour it, this game is one of the reasons I got a PS5!
(nb I added you on PS Online mate, if you see a friend req pop up it will be me)

CJD87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic