Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,881 to 12,900 of 16,083

link3710

@iKhan PS5 is going to have near full BC (supposedly) as well though. Even if it's only launching with 100+ BC titles. I'd still expect nearly all the games you'd want to play on BC available within the first year or so. Stuff like Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Street Fighter V, Bloodborne, FF VII Remake, Ghost of Tsurima, Red Dead Redemption II, The Last of Us, Monster Hunter World etc. will likely all be available, alongside a bunch of CoD, Assassain's Creeds, Resident Evils, and other notable titles.

Though, personally I guess I'm still wait and see for the true list to come out. If it's covering 95+% of my library, I'd be happy with it.

link3710

Ninfan

Wavey84 wrote:

@Ninfan
They're throwing in an Ultra 4K Bluray player, and those are at least $250 CAD on their own.

@Wavey84 so what sort of DVD player will be in the ps5 or will there be one?

Ninfan

iKhan

Wavey84 wrote:

If the new Ratchet and Clank along with kena can run in 60fps, than i'll be impressed. as is, those visuals being locked in at 30fps arent all that impressive imo. Saying they killed it is being far too generous. i was expecting to be blown away by PS5's in-game visuals, but instead what we got was a PS4.5. Even Resident evil 8 failed to wow me.

I'm getting it day one, but the unveil overall was pretty damn underwhelming. I'll probably be singing a bit of a different tune once higher quality game play footage comes out with higher frame rates if they have them, but as is, at least based on what we've seen so far this isn't quite the leap in graphics i was expecting.

@Wavey84
I see a difference, even if for no other reason than the fact that Sony seems to be regularly using their platform to share games with more than 3 colors for the first time in over half a decade. Honestly the games could have exactly the same graphics as the PS4 and I'd still be over the moon, because Sony's output this generation has been PAINFULLY "samey". That's cool if you liked one of the 3 gameplay styles they were producing, but of the major titles they published this year, I really only had any interest in The Last Guardian, Horizon, and Spider-man. Gravity Rush 2 looks super cool too, but that game got such little publicity I didn't even realize it existed until recently.

I don't own a PS4 or XB1, so I can't really compare to that. All I can say is that I definitely felt like this was a significant difference from the PS360/Switch power level that I'm used to. I didn't feel that strongly about it for most of the PS4/XB1's life.

@link3710
You still only mentioned PS4 games. Series X is BC with all generations of XBOX. I don't own a PS4 for a very good reason, so just being able to play PS4 games is nice I guess, but it really doesn't make it a compelling buy. I'd love to play stuff like the PS2 and PS1 Tales games, Xenosaga, Chrono Cross, etc, because the only Sony console I own is a non-BC PS3. I guess I could consider selling the PS3 for one with BC, but I'm told those things don't hold up too well, and it'd be cool to get a shiny new thing.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

link3710

@iKhan Ah yeah, it's only PS4 compatible. Though admittedly, the majority of notable PS3 games have made their way over to PS4. PS1 and PS2 are still rather lacking however.

link3710

NotTelevision

The console itself looks less attractive than the Series X, and I don’t foresee the subscription service meeting the high water mark of Game Pass anytime soon. A lot of the games shown aren’t going to be exclusive either.

Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls are definitely exclusives though and are most likely going to be good. It’s going to be a tough call for those who want to reap the most reward from one 500-600 buck box.

Overall I wasn’t exactly feeling this reveal, although I think it certainly delivered the goods. For me, it just becomes a bit tiresome watching short teasers of games that only want to show off a bunch of flashy graphics to you in 2 minutes or less.

NotTelevision

gcunit

The Ratchet and Clank game just looked too busy to me, I was actually put off by just how much was going on on-screen at once. Am I getting old?

It was a decent presentation, but not enough to overcome the voice in the back of my head that constantly reminds me Playstations are not worth Day 1 prices. May as well wait for the hardware revision, price cut and for the library to fill out a bit after a couple of years.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

kkslider5552000

gcunit wrote:

The Ratchet and Clank game just looked too busy to me, I was actually put off by just how much was going on on-screen at once. Am I getting old?

I mean, you're not wrong. A lot of the gameplay in the presentation felt like that to me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NotTelevision

That Resident Evil trailer was certainly a highlight though. Was that supposed to be a village in Eastern Europe or something? Definitely got a Bram Stoker/ Lovecraft vibe from it.

Color me intrigued.

NotTelevision

Ralizah

Village is apparently next-gen exclusive. I'd be highly willing to bet that it'll be an early showpiece for whatever new PSVR model Sony is going to be unveiling soon, much like Resi 7 showed off how much more intimate horror could be made to feel in VR.

R&C looks good, but the instantly switching between different universes thing feels gimmicky. I gather it's probably intended to show off the super-fast SSD of the PS5, but I'm more interested in how it could be utilized to improve normal game design.

Nothing in the presentation really felt... I dunno... next gen to me. I mean, I'm sure most of the stuff we saw would really struggle on the PS4 hardware, but the footage doesn't have that shiny next gen feel. Even Horizon. It looks amazing, but, honestly, it doesn't really look any different than my memories of HZD on the PS4 (which, admittedly, still looks far too pretty to be running as well as it does on that console).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

I think that's an inevitable problem. But I've accepted the fact that buying a new console every 6/7 years is just part of it. Mobile phones and laptops are made to last 3 years at most. So buying new hardware for games after a generation is fine by me, because in all fairness, you'd probably have to replace it anyway, so it may as well something more up to date. Though I will say this. I think that the new VR will look a lot better, that's a given, and I really want that considering how grainy the PSVR is. I'm also interested in the 3D audio (especially for VR) and haptics they've included. I hope it's utilised well.

I need next gen system for Cyberpunk 2077. So I think I'll try to secure a PS5 at launch (if possible); along with R&C and GT7. Is Demon's Souls 2020 as well? I dunno, I've never finished Bloodborne, so I don't know how much I'll like DS, but I do like Bluepoint's games up to this point.

Octane

MrGawain

I’ve been wowed by the presentation for the PS1, PS2, and PS4, and having bought them been let down by a big portion of the games, especially Sony made. For me it’s too much sizzle and not enough steak. Plus all three consoles have had things break or just not work properly on me, and the PS4 spent more time downloading updates than what I played on the thing.

I’m again impressed by the PS5 advert, but I’m pretty sure what they’re selling, isn’t what I want.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Zuljaras

@Octane "Mobile phones and laptops are made to last 3 years at most. "

That is weird as we have 2 phones that are 7-8 years old and work perfectly except the batteries as I have never changed them. And our current phones are 3 year old and 2 year old that work without issues.

And we have 4 laptops Toshiba (8 years), HP(9 years), Lenovo(5 years) and ROG (2 years) all work without problems.

Well my Lenovo needs a thermal paste change but it is still rocking!

Many electronics break but that is dues to bad handling. Not that there are no defects but that is noticed in the first year after purchase.

Zeldafan79

I wasn't that impressed myself. Horizon sequel looks cool and RE 8 is probably a no brainer but i hear it's more action oriented and after RE 5 and 6 i thought we all hated that now. Might wanna check out Pragmata or that Kena game but everything else looked totally possible on PS4. I was reading articles just days ago about how PS5 was supposed to be this huge graphical leap. Not from what i saw.

Oh and what's up with not revealing the price of PS5? Of all the times not to! That digital only version is gonna sell well too i bet. NOT! Physical media or GTFO!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

gcunit

The end of physical appears to be coming up fast.

The disc version of the PS5 will likely be around 150-200 currencies more expensive than the disc-less version, making it prohibitively expensive for the mainstream market in the same way the PS3 originally was. Ergo it will sell poorly and Sony will phase it out to become a collector's piece.

The only way I can see that not happening is if the uptake of the digital-only version is too slow, or if Microsoft provides the disc version of the XSX at a significantly lower price than the equivalent PS5.

Soon it will be now or never people. If you value owning your games, do not buy the digital-only PS5. That's... kinda stating the obvious now I think about it, but still, don't do it. Mmkay?

Edited on by gcunit

Octane

@Zuljaras Not necessarily falling apart. I know hardware can last a lot longer if you take care of it. But I feel that the electronics industry is definitely built on the idea that things like mobile phones needs to be replaced sooner than later.

Octane

Zuljaras

@gcunit So you think that publishers will do code in a box in the all digital future?

I mean physical is not going anywhere as it is used for marketing in the stores. But I can see them making it that way. Just a plastic box with a DL code inside to make the parents buy a game when they walk by the store.

Sad times indeed.

In such a future I will 100% support hacking and not paying for games

Also I am all in for a gaming future like LRG where you can order a game and they make it physical for you. So if there are enough people they will make a batch just for those guys (pre-order ofc) and that way they will NOT have any losses etc.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit I think we'll see something like:

PS5 Digital only - $349
PS5 with disc drive - $449
Xbox Series S (Lockhart rumour) - $349
Xbox Series X - $499

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano What makes you think the digital Series X is 150 cheaper? The difference won't be that much, right?

Octane

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano Those figures look optimistic to me, but would be good if they were realised. If the gap between disc drive and no disc drive was only 100 bucks that would provide a glimmer of hope for sustaining the physical market.

I was about say "But let's not be naive. Sony wants the physical market dead as much as Microsoft and all the other publishers", but then again don't Sony have an interest in sustaining the Blu-ray market? And if everything goes physical then the publishers won't be required much either, so maybe there's hope that some parts of the industry do want to keep the physical fire burning.

However, just by selling a Day 1 digital only piece of hardware, it's going to hurt the physical side of the industry, making it even more challenging for stores to justify keeping shelf space for games.

It's definitely a squeeze, if not necessarily the final throttle.

Edited on by gcunit

Zeldafan79

So how big do you guys think that hard drive in the all digital version will be? If we got PS4 games that are 100 gigs just imagine the space you'll need for PS5! Wouldn't that suck if the all digital version only let you stream games and not actually download them? You know much like on PS4 how you can only stream movies rather than downloading them. You won't own the games. Digital future my ass!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic