Forums

Topic: The Megami Tensei Thread

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 1,245

Alex90

I need more details of this new Etrian Odyssey. Played every Etrian game on 3DS.

Alex90

Nintendo Network ID: Don't have anymore

Ralizah

New footage of the characters, including their names. Really like Miyazu's design. Ichiro on the other hand... yikes. He's like bizarro world Ryuji or something.

Oh, and Koshimizu looks hotter the more I see of him. He looks like he stepped out of a CLAMP manga.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Ralizah

Here's a translated version of that video.

Also, translated video for the demon of the day:

Here's videos for the last few that weren't posted:

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

VoidofLight

Youtube links seem to be broken on mobile.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Weird. I can access them all on my android phone's Chrome browser.

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

VoidofLight

@Ralizah I have an IOS, so maybe that’s why they don’t work for me. I’m using the chrome browser as well though.

Ralizah

New demon added: mananggal. She's a demon from the Philippines. LOVE the design. It's a bit adult, but is apparently extremely faithful to the mythology of the creature.

https://megaten5.jp/devil/

It's the design at the bottom of the page. I'd clip it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's safe to post on here, lol.

@VoidofLight They're just youtube links. It's hard to imagine those don't work on iOS.

Are you able to open them in your youtube app?

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

VoidofLight

@Ralizah They just show up as blank video slots, and not the links themselves.

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Tell me if the link for the first video in my post above is viewable now. If so, I'll just post the links like that from now on.

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

TheFrenchiestFry

I don't know who that Ryuji-looking dude is, but I already know he'll probably be one of my favorite characters

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2021/07/20/exclusive-loo...

Once the group is back to their version of Tokyo, they encounter the caring and kind-hearted Tao Isonokami, another classmate of theirs. She explains that two parallel versions of Tokyo exist: their version, and Da'at. The demons are localized to Da'at for now, but she says they have their sights set on Tokyo.

WOW. OK.

So it looks like, for at least some portion of the story, the characters are able to go back and forth between modern Tokyo and Da'at.

SMT: Nocturne Mk II this is very clearly not, lol.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

aperl19

So I gotta ask Persona or Shin Megami?

aperl19

Snaplocket

So far SMT V leaves me mixed. The game looks really good but every design choice they've made so far feels questionable, specifically seeming to ditch many of IV and Strange Journey's QoL features for no reason other then "they weren't in Nocturne" as well the complete removal of guns or piercing attacks which I felt did a good job of mixing up the mechanics and I was really hoping this wouldn't be another case where only the handful of human characters are actually important and the demons are little more then glorified weapons and obstacles to defeat.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket Demons being living weapons has always been a thing with the series, at least from what I’ve heard.

TheFrenchiestFry

@aperl19 I personally prefer the gameplay and narrative structure of mainline SMT but I think Persona excels when it comes to writing characters and especially in terms of presentation

They both have their strengths. Persona also just emotionally resonates with me more because it was what got me into Atlus' games in general, specifically Persona 3 Portable

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@aperl19 SMT, if only for the much more well-balanced combat, complex team-building, and atmospheric settings. Before Persona 5, I'd have mentioned that Persona games have terrible dungeons and annoying methods of obtaining new Personas as well, but P5 did a LOT to improve on Persona's weak areas.

Honestly, the Atlus property that rivals SMT for me is Etrian Odyssey. There are some similarities. Both have a reputation for extreme difficulty, often feature minimalistic approaches to narrative and storytelling, are focused primarily on dungeon-crawling, place a heavy emphasis on strategic team-building for taking down tough bosses, and have amazing rock music in their soundtracks.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I still have to get into Etrian. I know a friend from high school who's only started getting into more Atlus games (he beat P4G on PC and dug up his Vita to play the other Persona games; already beat P1 and is playing P2 rn), but he's definitely gushed about both Etrian and Trauma Center (another Atlus IP I love) when we talk over DMs.

TheFrenchiestFry

VoidofLight

I got to the raptors in 2 Untold, and could never get past that part. The game’s pretty fun though, and mapping the dungeons out is probably the best part honestly.

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry IMO, it's Atlus' most consistently excellent series. Six main series entries, two remakes, two cross-over titles, and all of them are excellent. Pure dungeon-crawlers, extremely deep customization and skill load-outs, and the atmosphere in these games is often amazing. People like to look down on the mapping, but, IMO, it's what ties the experience together: it makes the experience of exploring a dungeon feel more like an adventure and less like you're just walking around tiled labyrinths. These are the games that got me into Atlus: I loved the original game, in particular, for years before I'd even heard of MegaTen.

I've also played both of the Trauma Center games. If you go in expecting their plots to get incredibly stupid (I won't spoil anything, but... wow, are these games nutty), you'll probably enjoy the hell out of them. I highly recommend them... on NDS. I tried the Wii version and found it almost impossible to play. These are games that definitely benefit from playing on a touch screen.

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic