Forums

Topic: The Megami Tensei Thread

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,282

VoidofLight

A friend recommended for me to start with Devil Survivor, but I noticed it was a SRPG, so I never really got it. I kind of want to play either Nocturne or IV, but I might just wait to jump in with V.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

Snaplocket

@VoidofLight IV Apocalypse is probably the best place to start in regards to the main series. It retains all of IV's QoL improvements while also ironing some of it's flaws and the cast feels a lot more fleshed out. Still really enjoyed base IV though.

No idea why your friend thought Devil Survivor was a good place to start, it's really difficult even by Megaten standards and being SRPG means a player won't much progress without a lot of trial of error. The game doesn't even really although the player to level grind because the free maps allow so little exp and no good demons.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket I heard IV Apocalypse was a sequel to IV, so it wasn't best to start unless I played the original.

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Ehhhhhh...

I mean, it's not a strict sequel. More of an alternate universe-y companion piece that's based on IV's neutral route. You'll definitely need less help getting up to speed if you play SMT IV first, as there are a number of returning characters from IV, but @Snaplocket is right when they say it's the most accessible introduction to mainline. If it was its own thing, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it as your first SMT game. SMT IV suffers a bit from the difficulty being front-loaded, which puts off new players, and it has a number of QoL issues that, again, were addressed in Apocalypse. The game also has data logs that get new players up to speed on the setting, so I think starting with it is a very viable option. I guess you'd also technically spoil an early plot twist from IV for yourself. Not a big deal to me, but some people go nuts over "spoilers," so I thought I'd mention it.

Incidentally, Devil Survivor was my first MegaTen game. I liked it, but it also kicked my butt so badly I couldn't even finish it initially. It's still hard now, but MegaTen games are sorta like Souls games insofar as they become easier the more of them you play. It's funny because, despite Nocturne's reputation for hardcore difficulty, I've never found it to be particularly brutal.

Edited on by Ralizah

Most Anticipated Games
Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch)
Breath of the Wild 2 (Switch)
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp (Switch)
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Losermagnet

Devil Survivor was my first SMT game as well. I wanted to play Persona, only had a 3DS, and figured it was a good compromise (that's what I thought at the time at least). I've had a lot of experience with SRPGs so I found the challenge fun. Also the story and the pacing really sold it well. The sequel on the other hand....much more difficult and much less interesting. Can't say I'd recommend either for somebody looking to get into SMT. Persona would be the one to go with if you have the option.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

VoidofLight

@Ralizah I actually was told that Nocturne was another good starting point for the series, due to it not being that hard, unless you don't learn the mechanics of the game itself. I'm at least hoping V will be a pretty good place to start.

Snaplocket

@Ralizah Nocturne is definitely easier then Devil Survivor but not an easy game period. I'd say it's slightly easier then IV or Apocalypse on normal mode and just a bit easier then the DDS titles and a lot harder then Persona 3 through 5 although I only played 4 to the halfway point so don't take my word for it.

I wouldn't really say it's like the Souls games because unlike those, if you play a lot of RPGs you can do really well on your first try.

I only played DDS 2 once as a kid but once I played both titles in full for the first time years later, I made it through both games without dying once. But I can't get past the first few hours in Souls or Survivor Overclocked, even on easy mode.

Base IV is one of the better places to start but I recommended starting on easy mode until about 5 hours in to get a good grip for the combat and the fact that the beginning hours of the game are easily the hardest.

Edited on by Snaplocket

JaxonH

SMTV Premium Edition up at Gamestop but you have to scroll down to games section and you'll see the pre-order button

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch

PLAYING
NS: Great Ace Attorney, MH Stories 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Neo TWEWY
3DS: MH Stories, Metroid Samus Returns
PC/SteamDeck: Mass Effect Legendary Ed.
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Monkey Ball, Cruis'n Blast

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase myself a copy of Strange Journey Redux since it's the only mainline title besides the SNES games that I still haven't played. Sure, I could play the DS version but the 3ds game is miles superior even if it has no English voice acting or 3D support.

TheFrenchiestFry

That Kumbhanda render looks so nice

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

I love some of the enemy death animations in this game.

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I just noticed that by hitting enemies with their elemental weakness their death animations actually involve the effects of that skill like being shattered to pieces with the ice in a Bufu skill

The details are so on point

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Yep. It's really cool looking. Small touches like those go a long way toward making battles feel less abstract and more like they're actually happening in-game.

It really feels like they're going all-out to make this feel like a proper home console experience.

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Snaplocket

@TheFrenchiestFry Actually, the IV duology did that as well. It was always the coolest thing, killing a demon with gun attacks in Apocalypse and watching them EXPLODE into bullet holes and blood.

Snaplocket

@JaxonH YES! Finally managed to pre-order the premium edition for all those extras that I'll SURELY use all the time and not most likely bench after about 3 days.

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
It's more about the CE box to display for me. All that extra tat just stays in the box (unless it's a steelbook, which gets displayed, or an artbook, which goes on the shelf).

PLAYING
NS: Great Ace Attorney, MH Stories 2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Neo TWEWY
3DS: MH Stories, Metroid Samus Returns
PC/SteamDeck: Mass Effect Legendary Ed.
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Monkey Ball, Cruis'n Blast

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

@JaxonH I'm honestly a sucker for art books, makes good reading material when on the can.

KryptoniteKrunch

Yeah, I'm so happy that elemental deaths are back. Mudoon's looks awesome.

Hopefully Demon Whisper also comes back from the IV duology.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Ralizah

I'll be using all of my CE stuff. Might reduce the value of the set going into the future, but I don't really see the benefit of buying something and not using it.

Particularly looking forward to the demon handbook. It's like a printed compendium that comes with the game.

Most Anticipated Games
Metroid Dread (Switch)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic