Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 65,561 to 65,580 of 69,981

Ralizah

It strikes me as being particular hypocritical that Sony's cries about exclusivity and anti-consumer activity like this when the entire Playstation brand only got where it was by making exclusivity deals that hurt the competition's ability to compete in the first place. And still are, frankly. Sony was going after Starfield as an exclusive as well, way back when.

This slows things down a bit, but the FTC's arguments aren't particularly compelling, and plenty of these tech mergers have happened in the recent past, so I don't expect this will stop it from happening.

Also:

Activision has also signaled a willingness to fight for the deal to go through.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

I can't stand Sony as a company. They disgust me.

They're a bunch of petty, entitled, bitter, cut throat hypocrites.

I don't understand how anyone can actually like them as a company. And sure, I know all companies do things consumers don't like sometimes- Nintendo stopping fan tournaments or what have you, or Microsoft starting online subscriptions. But all of that just seems to pale in comparison. No other company gives of the kind of stench Sony does.

I may just stop doing business with them altogether. It's not like it would be a major sacrifice. I rarely ever play PS5 anyways. But I'm talking not even buying their games on Steam. I could cut them out entirely and probably wouldn't even notice.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH It's one rule for them and one for everyone else. Of course this is the same FTC which let Disney buy Fox and didn't bat an eye.

So God knows. Sony is playing hypocrite to how they got their start, and making governments think threatening the market leader is a bad thing. Despite doing this exact thing in the 90s.

And its just been a mud slinging match on their end too.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kermit1doesmath

Giant companies are a double-edged blade no matter how you look at them.

dysgraphia awareness human

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH Sony e Nintendo is the most anti-consumer in the game industry, neither of them do anything good for they customer, i can't decide which of this two companies is most anti-consumer in the game industry(problaby is Nintendo followed by Sony or both).

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
All I know is, Nintendo doesn't pay to keep 50% of the biggest games off other platforms to punish anyone "disloyal to them" playing games on other consoles.

Neither does Microsoft.

Neither does Steam.

But Sony? It's just nonstop back to back to back to back to back moneyhatting exclusives, no morals, no honor, just pure hatred and spite toward anyone who isn't a PS loyalist.

They're also the only ones who make public statements insulting and taking jabs at gamers on other consoles.

So in terms of which one actually impacts me most as a consumer, it's Sony by a country mile. And it's not just Jim Ryan, cause they've been this way for a while. It's their whole culture at the company. They have this superiority complex where they think all other platforms are inferior, they resent all gamers on other platforms who they see as traitors who deserve to be punished, and nobody else should be allowed to do even 10% of what they do all the time

It's just a horrible company. Like, I get enjoying their products. That's fine. But the company? They're the worst. No wonder their fanboys are so insufferable. They get it from daddy.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

Magician wrote:

An argument could be made that more preteens play CoD than adults over the age of 18 do, lol.
I suppose Sony's rambling is par for the course from a Murican-run platform like Playstation.

Untitled

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JesseA

Final Fight is free now and capcom's 2nd arcade games are half off, part of me thinks they're going to be announcing something. I think volume 1 had a similar deal right before 2 came out.

JesseA

IceClimbers

It's amusing to me to see people online claim that Sony "earned" their place as market leader by organically growing their studios and IPs, and that Microsoft is trying to buy their way in. No disrespect to their studios, but just no. That's not why PlayStation got as big as it did; it got big because Sony paid for exclusivity deal after exclusivity deal on 3rd party titles for the original PlayStation and not for Sega or Nintendo, something they continue to do today.

Where's the Xbox version of FFVII Remake at Sony?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH how about us Nintendistas/Nintendo that go after any fan project, overcharge for it games and it consoles(never reduce it price) sold us cardboard for $80 and have a horrible online service and charge us a service for us to acess a old content(see Nintendo is worse then Sony).

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Ralizah

Sony is in an interesting position. Despite being the long-running market leader, they're especially vulnerable compared to their competition. Nintendo has a treasure trove of IPs they fall back on to sell consoles, which gives them a unique level of protection from changes in the market. Microsoft is... Microsoft. The console gaming biz is almost a hobby for them, so there's no need for them to claw and scratch their way to the top of the pack.

But Sony, by and large, has failed or posted losses in most of its endeavors outside of gaming. And they've traditionally not had much of a first-party lineup to fall back on, which is why the games people tend to associate with Sony's golden years are typically third-party titles that were exclusive to their consoles. Which was fine when they had a stranglehold on most of the industry. But that has fallen through in recent years, with many of the big IPs associated with their consoles branching out to other platforms.

To their credit, they're attempting to fix this weakness. Their much-vaunted first-party line-up since the PS3 era has produced a number of critically acclaimed and decently successful blockbusters, but these are very expensive to produce and typically only keep selling down the road via steep price cuts. Which Sony is willing to make if need be, because they have an image of being the leader of the industry to protect. Same reason they flogged cheap PS3s near the end of the seventh gen in order to boost their hardware numbers.

The recognition of this weakness is also likely why they're branching out so much in recent years. Leveraging their IPs for TV/film projects, PC gaming sales, etc. Especially their recent announcement that they're massively expanding into the live service genre soon, since they'd love nothing more than to create the next Fortnite and have a product that can endlessly expand and make money for them.

Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax and attempted (currently) acquisition of Activision/Blizzard is putting the fear of god in their hearts, because they know their first-party line-up isn't sufficient to prevent an exodus of casual gamers and lose a decent chunk of their market share. So they will do what they do best, and fight like absolute dogs to keep a competitor from striking a mortal wound to their brand. Even if that means humiliating spectacles like Jim Ryan jetting around the world to cry to various regulatory bodies.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Couldn't care less.

I'm not doing fan projects, and nobody forced me to buy cardboard. So I really couldn't care less.

Ya, their online service is poor. But for $10/mo for the expansion pack with their generous family plan offer, I'm happier with their online than I ever was with Sony or MS.

If others think those things are more egregious, they can feel whatever way they want.

But from where I'm sitting, those are either completely non-issues or small potatoes that don't even remotely impact me to the extent Sony does. Also, Nintendo doesn't mess with non-Nintendo gamers, typically. Sony, on the other hand- that's all they do is screw people who don't game on their platform

You can rattle off a laundry list of infractions against Nintendo, or Microsoft, or Valve. But at the end of the day, none of those things have a severe negative impact on me. Sony is the only one (well, and Epic Game Store) that consistently screws over the majority of gamers by making it a company policy to pay to deprive as many titles from non-PS gamers as possible. And then be a complete and utter prick about it.

Comparing Nintendo shutting down fan projects to a company literally depriving everyone of the biggest games on a regular basis feels like comparing an ant to an elephant.

Edited on by JaxonH

IceClimbers

@Giancarlothomaz The only one of those things that could be considered anti consumer is shutting down fan projects.

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH you don't care because you live in a first world country, i was forced to buy a fortune to play my games(why can't Nintendo lower the prices of it games to $50 or $30 i am forced to buy up to R$300 to R$500($57.40 to $96.67, me and @Kaisu have to suffer this everything i buy something on Brazil) and to get the situation worse the new president of Brazil is gonna revoke all the decrees that made us paid less taxes), you all don't understand my point/situation, because you live in a first world country, i live in a third world country(Brazil).

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

IceClimbers

So FFXVI is confirmed to be at the Game Awards.

So we're getting Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Tekken 8, Street Fighter 6, FFXVI, and Diablo IV for sure, with a new Crash rumored.

That sounds like the best Game Awards in a while.

JaxonH

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika
I don't believe all companies suck. I do believe they're not our friends. As for morals, all companies have morals and values, the question is how far they're willing to be flexible with them, and how often they're willing to bend them, to get what they want. It's a grey area, not black or white.

If the criteria for a company sucking is any single infraction for which most reasonable people can claim they're in the wrong, then all companies suck. But they don't all suck equally.

We should be loyal and thankful to them not the people in suits

I do agree with this. Even with Nintendo, it's the creators I feel an affection toward, not the business. The people who push a culture of innovation and fun gameplay first.

@Ralizah
I think Sony is making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. Yes, CoD is a big game. For sure. And Diablo (but we only see a new one of those on console what, once per decade? So eh). If Sony is going to crumble and buckle its position over ONE. SINGLE. GAME... then they don't deserve to be market leader. They don't deserve it. I don't care how big a game it is. Even if every single PS gamer who buys CoD every year left the ecosystem in a mass exodus, they'd still only lose like 10 million gamers. And they're definitely not going to lose every single one. Many will simply play on PC or buy an Xbox also. But how many customers will they lose? A couple million tops. PS4 sold 117 million. Xbox One sold 55 million. Tip the scale by a few million each way, and it's still a drop in the bucket.

It's the revenue they care about. But just as much as revenue I think it's ego. They're too egotistical to accept being 2nd place in anything. It's why they bowed out of the handheld space so quickly after just 1 failed hardware release. Meanwhile, PSVR is getting a successor. Why? Because Vita was seen as a loser compared to 3DS. Whereas PSVR is seen as the best selling VR headset. It's nowhere near as lucrative at 1/3 the install base and WAY less software sales, but it fluffs their ego. So they support it.

The Nintendo slander perpetuating silly fanboy stereotypes is something you'd expect to read in an IGN comment section by a user named "SonyAlwaysWins2497", not the CEO. Yes, Nintendo definitely maintains a family friendly image, but family friendly does not equate to "only children" or even "majority children". And the data backs that up. The majority of the user base is in fact adults. But even if that wasn't the case, are they insinuating Call of Duty isn't played by children? Without children, CoD wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is today. It's so deeply errant it's downright offensive. As if to say, anyone who plays on Switch is just a child, because obviously no adult would prefer anything other than power and graphics /s

And it all goes back to ego. By "disqualifying" Nintendo with their statement they essentially rationalize the fact they're not the market leader anymore. Nintendo is. And I think they can't stand that fact (because they're so egocentric and petty). Call of Duty, if given competent day and date releases on Switch 2 alongside other platforms, would easily sell 2+ million copies, and that's just to start with. That may not sound like a lot, but for a platform that hasn't received an entry in a decade, and the last generation had a failed console, and the generation prior a sub-HD console without 2nd analog stick, that would be pretty notable. At least 20% of the sales Sony sees despite them dropping helicopter cash every year for exclusive content and marketing. From there, it would only grow. Maybe it hits 3-4 million per game by end of next gen. Will it ever reach the sales seen on other platforms? Probably not. But it's impact wouldn't be negligible as they pretend.

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
That's true, but I can only speak from my perspective. And from where I'm sitting, it's a non issue.

But even so, while I can understand what you're saying, and it is unfortunate, different countries have different currencies and pricing all over the world and that's just an economic reality. If it doesn't affect me, then I don't care. But even if it did affect me, I'd have to hate every company equally as much since they ALL have higher prices in certain regions.

But even then, even if no other company except one had higher prices, I still wouldn't despise a company because of that. It is what it is. I'm not gonna hate a company over prices. If I was gonna hate companies over prices I'd hate Sony for their $50 price increase to $550 for PS5 and them pushing $70 games. But I think that's a silly reason to hate a company. I can dislike something and not hate a company for it. Prices would fall into that category.

Grumblevolcano

Is Nintendo Life doing a live chat for the Game Awards? The pre-show has already started.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic