Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 65,581 to 65,600 of 67,011

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

@JaxonH I don’t care as long as the cutscene justifies it like in fallen order the final encounter is awesome and they didn’t bother me

Top Games, Xenoblade 1 2 3, Nier automa/replicant, Mario galaxy 1 2, MGS5, Stardew valley, Hollow knight, Yakuza Like a dragon, GOW 2018, Doom 2016, Dragon quest 11, Bug fables, FE3H

My name is the victim of A holy war where there were no winners

It’s Donkey kong December

JaxonH

@Eagly
The cutscenes in that game didn't bother me either, as far as I remember.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Persona 5 Royal, Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@NeonPizza Based on how important very high framerates and gyro are to you, I'm surprised you didn't wait for the PC port and let the PS5 pretty much be a PSVR2 machine. Sony's shown their strategy regarding PC ports so we can pretty much be certain that these games will come to PC:

• The Last of Us Part 2
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Demon's Souls
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Wolverine

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

I don't mind cutscenes. XC3 was my favorite game this year, and it sometimes hit you with hours of cutscenes at a time.

The crucial thing, though, is that, during the game bits, you got to play the game, and during the story bits, you got to watch the cutscenes. They, by and large, didn't neuter the level design and gameplay flow to allow the interactive bits to flow seamlessly into the story bits. And while your characters chatter perhaps a bit too much, it doesn't randomly slow the characters down to a crawl to accommodate this.

When it comes to Sony, their products largely fit into a certain cookie cutter mold. Their high production value products that never seem to stray away from action-adventure gameplay with crafting and light rpg elements are basically the video game equivalent of Marvel blockbusters: crowd-pleasers that stick with a certain format and avoid any risks or controversial game design choices. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, and I understand why people like their games so much, but it really taps into everything I don't want the medium to become.

Something, frankly, it would have already fully become if it wasn't for the continued disruptive influence of the Japanese side of the industry. American games are already going the way of American films, with the few large producers of high profile games consolidating into fewer and fewer mega-brands that pump out safe, overly corporate crowd pleasers, which is where all the money goes, with creativity only coming from the independent, zero-budget sector.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Link-Hero

Seeing people bad-mouthing Ratchet and Clank over its cutscenes just makes me sad. The whole purpose of the series is to mimic those family adventure animated movies, and the ones I've played succeed in that. A huge amount of effort is put into the gameplay, voice acting, visuals, and cutscenes to match that, which again, does an excellent job. It's all just simple fun, and people here are just trashing all that effort.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Switch Friend Code: SW-3097-0477-1999 | Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

I like Sony's games great stories and gameplay. Nothing wrong with a more cinematic experience for your games

Top Games, Xenoblade 1 2 3, Nier automa/replicant, Mario galaxy 1 2, MGS5, Stardew valley, Hollow knight, Yakuza Like a dragon, GOW 2018, Doom 2016, Dragon quest 11, Bug fables, FE3H

Grumblevolcano

@Link-Hero I feel that Rift Apart is one of the more unique 1st party Playstation games recently along with Astro's Playroom, Sackboy and Returnal. If I had a PS5, those 4 would definitely be the first ones I'd play.

I will say though, I'd much rather have the 3rd person action/adventure single player games set in an open world approach that is very prominent at the moment with Playstation 1st party than the "live service" future Jim Ryan keeps talking about.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Link-Hero
It's not trashing their effort. I know full well alot of effort goes into these things. I just don't like it. And one must discern the difference between attacking the creator and their effort, and simply stating "the end result doesn't work for me".

Whatever they're trying to go for, good for them, but I don't find it entertaining. I already acknowledged the big budget production values and high grade voice actors and all that, but at the end of the day those things don't compensate for boring gameplay, and I find the gameplay quite dull. It's not fun to move around, it doesn't feel rewarding to shoot. I know that's somewhat arbitrary and intangible, but it is what it is. Some games feel fun to move around in and perform attacks... others don't.

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Returnal is legit. I just don't like roguelites. You can catch my rant about them in the Shovel Knight Dig review comments. Don't like Hades, don't like Dead Cells, absolutely despised the last Shovel Knight spinoff before Dig... and that repetitive loop is what killed Returnal for me too, despite loving the actual gameplay (and some of the best rumble of any video game I've played).

Sackboy was... well, I don't hold it in very high esteem. We'll leave it at that. It's basically in the same camp as Ratchet.

Astro though. That game is fun.

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

I love rougelikes spending 5 hours perfecting the your build inching from room to room painstakingly killing each enemy one by one only to fall in a pit and break your 10th controller

MrHonest

Going to be honest here. This is one of my least favourite Nintendo generation. So far it’s been tons of ports that I’ve played or half-baked spinoffs with lack of content.

Switch has been underwhelming.

MrHonest

Kermit1Pineapple

MrHonest wrote:

Switch has been underwhelming.

That's quite honest.

I do agree, to a certain point. Currently I have more indie games than 3rd party or main Nintendo games, the Nintendo Switch is more of an indie power house than anything in my opinion.

Currently playing:

#TeamSlime

Known to be quirky on occasion

"To dream the impossible dream to fight the unbeatable foe to bear with unbearable sorrow and to run where the brave dare not go."

alexwolf

@MrHonest

I don't agree that the Switch has a poor library that aren't ports or spin-offs. Just from the top of my head:

SSBU
Luigi's mansion 3
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Pokémon legends Arceus
Metroid Dread
Super Mario Odyssey
LoZ: Breath of the Wild
Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Animal crossing: NH
Fire emblem: Three Houses
Kirby and the forgotten land
Ring fit adventure
Xenoblade chronicles 2
Splatoon 2
Monster Hunter rise
Octopath traveler
Shin megami tensei 5

All of the above are universally accepted as good games that cover multiple genres to cover all kinds of different tastes.

alexwolf

Buizel

Welp, guess I like Sony's exclusives more than most here then. Uncharted series, Spider-Man, Horizon ZD and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart rank amongst my top games of the past decade or so. And despite all being "action-adventure games", often with "RPG-lite" elements, these series in particular feel very distinct to me. That said, I've not yet played the likes of God of War and Ghost of Tsushima so maybe the formula hasn't got stale to me yet. Of the titles I've named, Ratchet and Clank is second only to Mario when it comes to modern 3D platformers IMO, Spider-Man is perhaps the best realisation of an open world outside of Zelda, and Uncharted is my go-to when I want something cinematic. That leaves Horizon which, while formulaic, I think is pretty damn good at what it does, at least.

It's Western third party AAA games that feel uninspired to me. For some reason PS's outings give me reason to at least turn my head...but I really can't muster any enthusiasm for Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, CoD, etc.

That said, Nintendo is usually my priority. Even during their weakest periods I'd say their output has been more to my liking than PS's offerings. Next is line is probably a mix of Japanese third parties (Sega, Square-Enix, Namco) and indies.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

This is by far my favorite Nintendo generation, by a landslide, even based on new games alone. Furthermore, it's now my favorite system of all time, full stop.

But I don't just look at new games alone, because Switch offers something new for every game released on the system. Getting hybrid handheld+console+tabletop versions of all the best Wii U games and even some select Wii games and a truckload of the best 7th and 8th gen games... it's become a one stop shop that allows me to play all its games wherever and whenever I want- at home on the tv, at home in handheld, in my work office in tabletop, and the car dealership in handheld... And that's what really elevates it.

But just having Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak, Monster Hunter Stories 2 and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Fire Emblem Engage, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal, Shin Megami Tensei V, Nier Automata, Bayonetta 1, 2 and 3, Astral Chain, Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Sparks of Hope, games like Triangle Strategy, Final Fantasy X/X-2, XII and Crisis Core remake, Zelda Breath of the Wild and soon, Tears of the Kingdom, Super Mario Odyssey and 3D World, the amazing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe + 48 additional tracks, Metroid Dread (and hopefully soon Prime Remastered and Prime 4), Pikmin 3 and soon Pikmin 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 1, 2 and 3, Kirby Return to Dreamland and Forgotten Land, Luigi's Mansion 3, Splatoon 2 and 3, loads of Trails games and more coming, Pokémon Legends Arceus (and hopefully Scarlet/Violet will be great too), Ori Blind Forest and Ori Will of the Wisps, not to mention the overwhelming, never-ending list of quality 7th gen ports and indies...

All of them full console versions, with OLED handheld versions and OLED tabletop versions with no need to worry about cross save like we did with Wii U and 3DS, or PS4 and Vita...

Ya. Best console generation of all time. If Switch 2 has BC, that will instantly top it though.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Buizel

@JaxonH Have to agree. Even without third party support, the Switch would be a strong contender for my favourite Nintendo console (alongside maybe the Gamecube). But with the third party support? Absolutely no contest.

Plus I just love the hardware. Give me a Switch port and I'll rarely find a reason to touch my gaming PC or PS5.

At least 2'8".

KryptoniteKrunch

I agree as well, the Switch has cemented itself as my favorite platform of all-time as well. Amazing new games, excellent ports, hybrid nature etc. And the crazy thing is, when the Switch turn six years old next year, the games will keep coming(Persona 3 and 4, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Zelda etc.)

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

MrHonest

@alexwolf Breath of the wild is a port of a wii u game.

But yeah this is my least favourite Nintendo generation so far.

MrHonest

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

I’d say the switch is the strongest Nintendo consoles game wise since game cube

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic