Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 63,841 to 63,860 of 64,583

Kermit1

@JaxonH I DEMAND A NEW NINTENDO SWITCH PRO HAPPEN NOW WITH BOW2 EXCLUSIVELY OR I'M WRITING AN ANGRY LETTER TO NINTENDO BECAUSE MY KIRBY GAME DROPPED 2 FRAMES

I've seen a post like that once before, just thought I'd parody it.

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

SW-0553-8644-3608 I'm Kermit1 and ask before you friend please

#TeamSlime

Grumblevolcano

There's a Sword/Shield Magikarp online tourney and at first glance the Switch news section made it seem like Magikarp Jump (the mobile game) was coming to Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Fizza

@Grumblevolcano I saw that as well and it honestly makes me want to shiny hunt for one in Let's Go Pikachu, transfer it over and use it in this competition, I'll take free BP any day of the week. Though to be honest, I wouldn't put it past them to make a sequel literally just called 'Jump, Magikarp!'. They got away with calling a new Pokemon Snap..... 'New Pokemon Snap', it feels like something they would do.

Currently Playing: Street Fighter Alpha
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
458/488 in Brilliant Diamond Nat Dex
PLA Shinies: 95

DarthNocturnal

The sequel to Magikarp Jump would be "Where's Feebas?".

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0
Now Playing: Dragon Ball FighterZ (Xbox), Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Xbox), Sonic Origins (Xbox), Codename S.T.E.A.M (3DS), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

skywake

@Ryu_Niiyama
Your entire bit here was that Nintendo doesn't need new hardware because new hardware won't "satisfy". Because it's not going to compete with the PS5 there's no advantage to releasing something new. That they can "wait a year or so more". That's what I meant when I said it's not an all or nothing thing

It's not a case of Nintendo either releasing a PS5 competitive something and getting every single third party on board OR Nintendo releasing nothing and just being satisfied with what they have. It's also not quite the case that it's either keep the install base they have or start at 0 with a new thing (oh yes, @Magician, not everyone is suggesting a "successor"). There's a HUGE chasm between those two extremes

And right in the middle of that chasm? Is probably something like a PS4 tier portable released within the next year. And as a side note, I'm not sure why you're thinking it'd be like a PS4 "with a memory bandwidth bottleneck". The Steam Deck has 2x the RAM as the PS4 running at the same speed, the later Tegra SoCs support memory bandwidth in the same ballpark. We wouldn't be looking at 4GB LPDDR4 @ 25GB/s, it'd be more like 8-16GB of LPDDR5 at 100-200GB/s

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Ryu_Niiyama

@skywake no, my entire bit was devs often snub Nintendo’s hardware offerings (again, support is way better but still slow or snubs still happen) because they want something that matches the specs current gen offerings of MS and Sony and thus means they have to spend less time on optimization and it’s easier to port (not because switch can’t run it). Which isn’t going to happen because Nintendo doesn’t have that approach to their hardware development. So it is in Nintendo’s best interest to take advantage of the fact that they can get more stock on shelves with Switch vs the twins and not cut that momentum unless they have dev deals and dev kits in the hands of devs to ensure a steady supply of software for the new system. I don’t understand why you keep misunderstanding me or maybe we are just talking at different angles here. So I still don’t understand your all or nothing response (or rather how you think that is what I am saying). That isn’t what I said at all.

So TLDR is; Sell the product that sales as long as possible (especially while they have parts) while working behind the scenes to get dev buy in on the successor. Or there is a higher chance of commercial failure. I hope that makes better sense to you.

Edit: I am talking about a successor and not a mid gen upgrade (that poses an entirely different set of issues). Which means 0 install base. Still no all or nothing scenario here.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

skywake

@Ryu_Niiyama
Yeah, I guess my disagreement with you is mostly in the angle you're going here. You seem to be suggesting that developers are one unified group where what they want is something that matches the PS5. When in reality there would be a lot of projects that aren't happening on the Switch due to its low power that would be on Switch if if had 8x the power, 2x the RAM, 2-4x the memory bandwidth etc

The idea that selling existing stock as long as possible means extending the life of the current hardware well into the 7, 8 year range. And that there's no reason currently to jump to newer hardware for that reason. And your bit about them having the parts, firstly that stockpile of parts isn't necessarily for Switch. Secondly a new hardware release does not mean stopping production of existing hardware immediately

There is a HUGE space in the middle here

Honestly, if you were making these points in early 2020 I'd be agreeing with you. But we're a fair way down the road now. A 6 year life for a console is pretty long. Early next year the Switch will have been out for as long as the Wii was and be pretty close to the life of the DS and 3DS. And there's a reason why we tend to get new hardware at around this length of time from launch. The potential spec creeps up, eventually it just doesn't make economic sense to keep selling old hardware

Developers and consumers will move on. Nintendo will start talking publicly about new hardware very soon. If they don't we'll have to seriously wonder what on earth their medium term plans are. Because they can't still be selling nothing but existing Switch hardware in 2024

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

So the reason Klonoa didn't get a demo outside Japan was only because the eshop listing wasn't up. Both the game and the demo are now up on the UK eshop.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

alexwolf

I believe that Nintendo will announce a Switch pro of sorts in early 2023, to go together with the launch of BOTW2. This will bring some new life to a very outdated hardware and maybe convince some 3rd party devs to continue supporting the system with demanding last gen ports (or maybe even some less demanding current gen ports), which maybe won't need that much effort to be ported to the upgraded hardware. This way, Nintendo will also avoid the problem of starting from scratch with their userbase, though this problem could also be solved if they offer backwards compatibility with their next gen console.

Then, in 2024 or even 2025, the new gen Nintendo console will release. Whether this will be an even more pro Switch pro, meaning even better specs with the same or a slightly improved Switch shell, or an entirely new console, remains to be seen, but imo the Switch recipe is too successful and unique to be abandoned.

alexwolf

HotGoomba

@alexwolf If a Switch Pro releases in 2023, then a new Nintendo console in 2024, that'll be way too small of a gap for a revision and a new system. At best, there will probably be a 2½–3 year gap.

Also how would more demanding games work? If it's targeted at developers who are too lazy to take the time to port a game to weaker hardware, what'll happen to the original Switch models? Will they be able to play a horribly optimized version of the Switch Pro game, or will it be a New 3DS/Game Boy Color situation where games release only for the Pro and not the original?

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

alexwolf

@HotGoomba Yeah that's why I listed 2025 as an option 2, so that there is a bigger gap between the new model and the Pro model. 2026 seems too far away though, 8 years is already long enough for a console gen duration.

As for the games on Switch Pro, I think that the more demanding ports will just run better on Switch Pro because they will be optimized based on that system. The regular Switch has too large of a playerbase to alienate with a Pro model that will have exclusive titles.

alexwolf

Grumblevolcano

Finished the Golden Wildfire route in Three Hopes, I'd say Three Hopes is the best Warriors game yet based on my playthrough of that route and currently my favourite game this year so far. Completing the remaining 2 Three Houses routes I hadn't done before this year prior to Three Hopes launch did enrich the experience so I'm glad I prioritized that over preparing for Sunbreak.

I'll spread out the 3 routes like I did with the 4 routes in Three Houses so now I'm experiencing Portal for the 1st time.

Grumblevolcano

MsJubilee

You're in for a treat. The portal games have aged like fine wine.

I don't enjoy suffering alone. However, I don't mind making others suffer alone.

Playing through Bioshock Infinite

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Ryu_Niiyama

@skywake Ok, it seems like you are applying some extremist filter to what I am saying which is causing the misunderstanding. That being said this is my last reply. I don’t mind conversations but when I am being misunderstood the whole time I lose interest in continuing. Apparently I am explaining myself poorly. It feels like you are approaching this as a gamer that is excited for new tech. I’m looking at this purely from sale/business practices. As a gaming enthusiast I am extremely neutral as I will buy a successor in any event.

My argument about devs is that they want the easiest route for development rather than building a team to learn a system or focusing budget on optimization. Thats why many games that could run on switch either aren’t ported or are ported late (and kicked to outside devs). You keep sticking on the ps5 when I am saying that because Nintendo uses a withered tech design philosophy they won’t have the specs that give devs as uniform a development space as possible and that is why I mentioned previous consoles. This isn’t a new thing. This happens each console gen since the N64. So again Nintendo should focus on dev buy in. Because unlike the twins it won’t be automatic.

Nintendo already said the switch will have a long hardware cycle so that isn’t strange. And sales support that. I never said anything about stopping production at all. However if a new system is announced them consumers will buy less of the current system thus slowing momentum. I’ve only ever talked about maintaining momentum. Again with the hope that they are building enough buy in to push momentum to a successor. Again nothing extreme or all or nothing. The entirety of my posts are about how to maintain momentum during a system transition. Nintendo currently can keep stock flowing better than MS and Sony and they should leverage that given that in the shareholders meeting they had to adjust down due to materials shortage I think it is a fair assumption that ordering more parts would be primarily for the system that is flying off the shelves. Even if some of it were for a new system I doubt all of it would be as Nintendo has stated they are impacted with current demand by supply constraints.

Consumers still love the system and most are not gaming enthusiasts that get bored after 6 years to market. The switch is still selling very well. Dev buy in is what it is. Business wise it should stay where the money is but devs can afford to ignore Nintendo due to how games are monetized now. No matter the system. So again dev buy in is essential and that is specs independent; Nintendo has to cultivate those relationships.

Ok we are totally talking at right angles here so I’m done. I hope you get whatever scenario you are hoping for. I will wait and see what Nintendo does.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

FragRed

Has anyone played Klonoa on the Switch yet? I have it on both Switch and PS5 (physical) but have heard it’s not great on Switch which is a bummer be I bought it on there for portable play.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

HotGoomba

@alexwolf I think a eight year gap isn't the craziest thing in the world. The Xbox 360 was on sale for eight years before the Xbox One released. The PS3, Xbox One, and PS4 all lasted for seven years before their successors released.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Grumblevolcano

@HotGoomba Kinect and PS Move (both in 2010) were kind of a Gen 7.5 (Xbox 360 and PS3 were Gen 7), not in terms of power but more that new hardware changed the game lineup rather dramatically.

Grumblevolcano

Magician

The five to seven year console cycle hasn't been a thing in decades. The PS2 wasn't discontinued until twelve years after its launch. The X360 and PS3 both ran for almost a decade themselves. We got nine years of support for 3DS. And we're only into year six of the Switch.

Prepare to strap in for at least a few more before we get a Switch successor, folks.

Switch Physical Collection - 977 games (as of August 7th, 2022)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

@Magician In fairness, almost every device is supported for years after a successor releases.

@FragRed Seems fine to me. Native-ish resolution, decent load times, etc. The framerate hangs out around 50+ fps most of the time.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Ryu_Niiyama

Yeah I don’t understand why even day1 adoptees are expecting like a four year cycle or something. That’s one of the best parts about console gaming unlike mobile. I’m not a fan of the mid gen upgrades though. Like slim it down, increase hdd space but don’t change the performance specs of the machine family. Hence why I am sitting on my Ps4 and xbone. Waiting on the day i can walk into a store and walk out with both the twins. Luckily for me no games that I really want have come out as exclusive yet. So my old twins (especially with gamepass) work just fine. Optimize and push for well made games. That is all we really need.

Edit: Welp was able to get a series x.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic