Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 63,061 to 63,080 of 69,962

Ralizah

@NeonPizza FPS games are always going to be best on PC, where you can use mouse & keyboard controls freely and usually customize the performance and resolution to your liking. Gyro is useful for console exclusives and games that I'd like to play on an OLED handheld, though, so I'm glad to hear those games do it well, since I'd kinda prefer to play basic shooters like that on my Switch. I'll probably never willingly buy a shooter on an Xbox or Playstation console, though.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
That was something I noticed too- the OLED reinvigorated my interest in handheld play. I still enjoy docked (as I have an OLED TV now) but, I find myself playing handheld and tabletop twice as much as before.

Even owning the Steamdeck, I haven't touched the thing since the first week I got it. Been playing nothing but Switch. But that's more because I'm utterly addicted to Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak and Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I'm sure I'll use it more whenever a drought comes (IF a drought ever comes- at this rate it feels like that's never going to happen).

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Cotillion

NeonPizza wrote:

it works incredibly well for what it is.

When an input method has been (and still is to many) considered 'cheating' because it's so superior, working well is an understatement.

Cotillion

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think it'll come down to whether October/November cancels out December/January. December and January are usually light for releases but October and November are so insanely packed that by the time you clear that lineup there's a chance it would be late January/early February already in time for the next release.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

KilloWertz

@skywake What do you mean by Nintendo having a track record with games? I just got a Switch OLED last week, my first Nintendo system since the NES, so I'm not really aware of their track record. I've gone all digital so far, but would switch to going physical as much as possible if they have a bad track record. Unless you just mean about backwards compatibility, or a lack thereof with Nintendo.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Ralizah

@NeonPizza I could never get into Wii pointer aiming. I found RE4 on Wii almost unplayable with it. What I like about gyro aiming is that your aiming, via wrist shifting, is relative to changes in the elevation of the controller in your hand, whereas Wii pointer aiming is relative to movements of the controller AND where you put the sensor bar. Even if it's in a good spot for aiming, you've still added a layer of abstraction to the process and removed it just that little bit from being an extension of your own natural reactions, which is what mouse aiming accomplishes in a 1-to-1 fashion, and why all alternatives will always be second best. I'd actually rather aim with just the stick on a gamepad than try and shoot something in a Wii game (which is why, I think, I've sat on my cheap digital copy of the Metroid Prime trilogy for years, despite being actively interested in the games).

@JaxonH I was playing primarily undocked anyway, which is why I bothered to upgrade to begin with, except before I had to swallow I was almost always experiencing the game in an objectively worse sense in terms of image quality. Now there's more of a trade-off, making handheld more of an equal-feeling mode: games are less sharp, but the colors are better! Maybe I won't upgrade my monitor after all.

Eh, being a multiplatform gamer has overwhelmed me with choice and removes the joy of experiencing ports of masterpieces from other ecosystems for the first time on my preferred platform. Even if there are droughts going forward, it's not like I don't have many games ready to fill that space on Switch.

I'll definitely keep playing games I already own on hardware I already own, but I'm not sure I see the point in investing in more gaming hardware when I'm already fully satisfied with the output on Nintendo's hardware.

Grumblevolcano

@KilloWertz Timings about digital store shutdowns are even worse than Sony to some extent (at least Sony backed off after the gigantic backlash last year):

• DSi Shop shut down in March 2017 (DSi launched November 2008)
  • Wii Shop Channel shut down in January 2019 (Wii launched in December 2006)
  • 3DS and Wii U eshops are shutting down in March 2023 (3DS launched in March 2011, Wii U launched in November 2012)

As of those dates, the digital stores basically become only available to redownload already purchased content and there was a 4 month period earlier this year where you couldn't redownload DSi and Wii content with Nintendo being silent on the matter.

Also while it was possible to get your digital stuff back if your 3DS or Wii U died or got stolen, it was a lot more difficult than just buying a new system and logging into your account. Also you lost everything for DSi and Wii given it was tied to the console, not an account.

Switch seems future proof outside of the awkward situation regarding some games and cloud saves (e.g. all mainline Pokemon games don't support it) but with the track record provided from DSi to Wii U, it's hard to trust Nintendo on the digital front.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

KilloWertz

@Grumblevolcano Thanks for all the info. At least in the case of the Switch, digital content is tied to your account, so it's not as big of a deal as in the past. Also, I got a 512 GB card, so I should be able to just keep any digital games installed for the most part. Worst case scenario is I buy another, especially since it only cost me $60 (it's a PNY brand card, so I didn't just go for a cheap unknown brand).

I still haven't decided if I'm going all digital or not. I did with my first two games of course, but that's just two games, and I could always rebuy them down the road if I wanted to. I do like the ability to just load up the game without putting anything in, although I do give Nintendo credit that they made it easy to put in and take out cards even docked since the slot is right on the top.

My main complaint would be that Nintendo seems to never put their first party titles on sale on the eShop, while I can get several of them for around $50 right now from Best Buy. I guess it is hard to say being lazy is worth $10 here and $10 there, especially since I will always be playing docked.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

JaxonH

@NeonPizza
Advanced makes the bounding box smaller so the camera moves naturally as you aim, where as the other setting forces you to drag the cross hair to the very edge of the screen and winds up feeling clunky as hell

Word of warning- this will be highly subjective. For me, Advanced feels clunky as hell for the very reason you described. It makes the camera move for everything, even when just trying to stand still and aim. BASIC puts that box as far over to the edge of the screen as possible which at least allows aiming without the camera jerking left and right constantly.

Though tbh none of them feel 100% natural. Either you sacrifice aiming for better camera control, or sacrifice camera control for better aiming. It felt fine at the time I played it. But now, after years of gyro aiming it feels archaic by comparison.

This is why I'm anxiously awaiting a Metroid Prime remaster. I need modernized dual analog aiming with gyro. If it doesn't get announced within the next year I'm just gonna install PrimeHack on my Steamdeck and play with dual analog gyro there.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Cotillion

@NeonPizza I don't consider it cheating, it's just the most accurate way to precision aim in games like that. Personally, I found Doom 2016 incredibly hard to play on Switch. I was missing a lot and things like the Rune Trials were near impossible for me to do. Yet I breezed through them on PC.
I have tried dual analog and gyro and neither compares to the accuracy of a mouse. And the Wii, though obviously a huge hit, was awful for games like that, for the reasons @Ralizah has already gone into depth about.
Though I do agree, I suspect VR will change that in the mainstream eventually, though.

Cotillion

Snatcher

I don’t mind VR being a main stream thing. Heck even the meta verse as much as I hate the idea, I don’t mind having it exist. I just don’t want any of it to replace anything. Which meta verse want to do so Ai guess I do have a problem with it existing.

Sorry didn’t mean to butt in on the conversation.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

I think it's good to take a moment and really appreciate the value of the Nintendo Switch library.

Here's my list of the Top 50 Most Notable Switch Exclusives (be it full exclusive, console exclusive or Nintendo exclusive- because there's always that one person who raises their hand and objects to the definition of the term)

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Snatcher

@JaxonH When you put it in a neat line like that. Damn the switch has some absolute bangers. And ai haven’t even played some of these yet!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Okami1

JaxonH wrote:

I think it's good to take a moment and really appreciate the value of the Nintendo Switch library.

Here's my list of the Top 50 Most Notable Switch Exclusives (be it full exclusive, console exclusive or Nintendo exclusive- because there's always that one person who raises their hand and objects to the definition of the term)

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

What a lovely totem pole of games.

dysgraphia awareness human

JaxonH

Having started truly gaming at the beginning of the Wii U era, and having picked up a Vita and Wii U shortly after the 3DS, I became accustomed to a light schedule of games. It was normal to me. I thought that's just how gaming systems were- never enough to keep you entertained with just one system. Down the line 3DS came pretty close to sustaining me on its own, but it still required a PS4 and Wii U on the side.

But now in hindsight I realize that wasn't normal. A good system should be able to keep you busy playing games all by itself. Not to say you can't still supplement with other platforms, but you shouldn't need to.

Switch feels like the first system I've owned where I genuinely have lost all interest in other platforms despite owning them all. And I'm not even into every exclusive released on the system. Which is a testament to how many great games there actually are.

The solid 3rd party support has made all the difference, I think. Though the exclusives are being cracked out like an assembly line, it's those quality 3rd party games (Portal, Persona, Nier, Diofield Chronicle, FFVII Crisis Core, Alan Wake, etc) that help fill in the gaps.

Ralizah

Nintendo's trouble has always been a combination of needing to maintain two separate libraries every gen and having scared off most third-party devs generations ago from their home console line. Third-party support has largely returned for Switch (sans AAA stuff that wouldn't run well anyway), and Nintendo can pour all their resources into one hardware line now.

@JaxonH

I know it's your list, but Ring Fit Adventure and Paper Mario: The Origami King absolutely deserve to be on that list somewhere. At least moreso than unreleased stuff that we don't know the quality of. The former is arguably the best fitness-style game Nintendo has ever released, and the latter was polished, funny, and moving, even if it didn't feature experience points.

Edited on by Ralizah

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
I have pretty much different games library on Switch from your list.
Also, my gaming hype sometimes changed depend on my mood or depend on what games I can play during certain time.
This year I still hype with my PS4 games, last year I was hype with my PS3 games, etc.
I started to back on Switch hype again after I purchased some Switch games again during this year.

Anti-Matter

Buizel

@JaxonH Great list! I would probably add Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Ring Fit Adventures and Hyrule Warriors myself. Maybe even Pokken and Paper Mario. And of course when you include multiplats there are dozens more that are deserving of the list.

Absolutely agree about the volume of games, although I would say the 3DS had enough to keep me entertained...the problem was the limited scale of the games (it being a handheld system) had me going to other consoles for larger experiences.

At least 2'8".

FragRed

@JaxonH I see Cruis’n Blast. I immediately agree with the list.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

KilloWertz wrote:

@skywake What do you mean by Nintendo having a track record with games? I just got a Switch OLED last week, my first Nintendo system since the NES, so I'm not really aware of their track record. I've gone all digital so far, but would switch to going physical as much as possible if they have a bad track record. Unless you just mean about backwards compatibility, or a lack thereof with Nintendo.

I think this has mostly been answered but just to reply myself. What I meant was that digital purchases on every Nintendo platform have been tied to that platform. The Wii and DSi it was tied directly to the hardware. When the new generation hardware came out you could transfer and there was a backwards compatibility sandbox. But the new stores had basically no awareness of your previous purchases. With the exception of the VC "upgrades" on Wii U which were a heavy discount, not an outright recognition of ownership. And the transition to Switch? No recognition at all of previous purchases

And you may think that your purchases may count now because they have an account system. Problem is, they also had an account system on the Wii U and later the 3DS. They had a record of all my digital Wii U and 3DS purchases on an account that was verified and eventually linked to my Switch. Does the Switch know about these purchases though? Well no. If I wanted to play games like Assassin's Creed 4, The Wonderful 101 or Child of Light on Switch I'd have to buy them again

Meanwhile on PC I can still download and play Portal even though it's been well over 10 years since I brought it. And some of my purchases on PC I was given "free" copies of remastered editions of those games when the remastered editions released. If I was an XBox guy, I'm not but if I was, my digital purchases on the 360 and XBOne digital purchases would be accessible on the XBox Series. On Nintendo? If you still have the physical hardware of course it still works but, they haven't been particularly good at this when compared to the competition. I hope their next hardware release will be a smoother transition but I'm not holding my breath

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic