Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 63,081 to 63,100 of 70,008

JaxonH

@Buizel @Ralizah
The fact so many ppl can list other games they think should be Top 50 Exclusives speaks volumes about how many there actually are.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

It's interesting how we've gotten a situation where all the Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass characters' franchises have gotten a new game after their appearance in Smash except Banjo and ARMS.

• Joker - Persona 5 Strikers was announced after Joker came to Smash (Persona 6 will probably be announced soon too)
  • Hero - DQXII was announced after Hero came to Smash
  • Banjo - ?
  • Terry - A new Fatal Fury was announced yesterday (which is after Terry came to Smash)
  • Byleth - Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes was announced after Byleth came to Smash (new mainline Fire Emblem will probably be announced soon too)
  • Min Min - ?
  • Steve - Minecraft Legends was announced after Steve came to Smash
  • Sephiroth - FF7 Rebirth was announced after Sephiroth came to Smash
  • Pyra/Mythra - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was announced after Pyra/Mythra came to Smash
  • Kazuya - Tekken 8 was teased yesterday (which was after Kazuya came to Smash)
  • Sora - Kingdom Hearts 4 was announced after Sora came to Smash

As much as a new Banjo game would be nice, I honestly see ARMS 2 as more likely. Something's felt really off about Microsoft these past few years.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pizzamorg

Making some pretty slow progress through the final chapter of Live a Live (which is technically the endgame). Sorta don't mind though, as I think I'll be quite lost once this is over.

I have one more dungeon to go, then off to face the Big Bad and then I think there might even be post game end game stuff too? Whoa. What a package this title is.

I umm'd and arr'd about completing every dungeon, as each hold strong items and XP, but I figured in the end I'd just get the prizes for each of the Heroes I am taking to the Final Battle with me instead, as otherwise I'd be here until Christmas and the Prizes tend to get you pretty close to max stats in the areas that matter for that character anyway.

Oboromaru's dungeon is so heavily RNG focused, I basically got to the recommended level just clearing that, so by the time I do this last dungeon and fight to the Big Bad, I might end up over levelled.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

gcunit

@Kermit1 After Microsoft's 2012-2022, I've no idea how to interpret 'crazy decade', but a few worthwhile games this next 10 years would be nice.

I do have so many games now, and am so happy with Switch, that I've completely lost track of the PS5/XSX happenings and will likely remain ambivalent to them until the new PSVR launches and becomes affordable.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I don't think having a game announced after is of any significance. The more interesting aspect is whether they have representation on the system with a mainline game.

Joker brought us Persona 5 Royal. Hero followed Dragon Quest XI S. Pyra/Mythra followed Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH
  • Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak Direct Tue, Aug 9th
  • Splatoon 3 Direct Wed, August 10th

Get ready. Two absolute juggernauts getting Directs tomorrow and the day after.

Anti-Matter

Well, I will not watch those Directs.
I have zero interest with those games.
I still busy with my backlogs on PS4 and my two PSP Rhythm games I got last Saturday.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think it does, putting characters in Smash not only helps existing games but also lets the companies see interest about the franchises the characters are from.

Bayonetta in Smash Wii U probably helped Bayonetta 3 exist, Cloud in Smash Wii U and Joker in Smash Ultimate probably helped Final Fantasy and Persona break free from Playstation exclusivity (unfortunately in the former case Sony tightened their grip on Square Enix later on), Pyra/Mythra's reveal in Smash Ultimate teased that XC3 would merge the worlds of XC1 and XC2, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I think ppl overestimate how much effect being in Smash has.

Games like DQXIS didn't seem to do all that much better than you'd otherwise expect. Terry didn't do anything for SNK with Samurai Showdown. Pyra/Mythra resulted in no notable sales bump for XC2. Min-Min and ARMS, nope...

The most that can be said is it brought visibility to Fire Emblem and drove a curiosity that eventually led to Awakening's success. But Marth was in Smash a decade prior and that never resulted in the franchise breaking out.

Bayonetta 3 would have likely existed regardless. Nintendo wants to keep funding that series.

At the end of the day, it's not really about sales or pushing series. It's just nice to see a spot earned. If a Smash rep doesn't have a game on Switch, I don't feel it's deserved. Sora and Solid Snake are a perfect example. At least with Snake I can understand it's an older character brought back. But they should have worked out a deal to remaster Twin Snakes. Sora just flat out doesn't deserve a spot though, with SE unwilling to natively port the games. Should have given that spot to Nohabino or the Monster Hunter.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I felt until the Partner Showcase which announced P5R, Joker was the most questionable but it's happening and a similar thing happened with Cloud (PS FF exclusives came to Switch in 2018/2019 after Cloud coming to Smash in 2015) and Snake (Snake Eater came to 3DS in 2011 after Snake coming to Smash in 2008). Right now the most questionable one definitely is Sora.

It would be nice if all these cloud versions like KH, Hitman 3, Control, etc. got native versions when the more powerful Switch releases (it's a reasonable guess that developers knew about more powerful hardware in 2020) but I doubt it especially regarding KH given all the rumours surrounding Sony buying Square Enix.

Grumblevolcano

SS25

@JaxonH being in smash doesn't mean you get mainstream appeal (that is really just reserved for the big 4. Mario, Zelda, pokemon, and animal crossing), but I definetly believe there is a percentage of people who are buying, interested in, fans of series that wouldn't have been so so if they didn't know about the character because of Smash.

SS25

Maxenmus

@JaxonH
Looking at your list, it's good to know that the Switch tries to satisfy the tastebuds of Japanophiles. Compared to another Japanese company like Sony, and obviously the American company Microsoft, the Switch definitely seems like the go-to place for JRPGs, with the Playstation being a close second (though maybe not in recent years, considering the PS5's lack of exclusives).

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

JaxonH

@Maxenmus
PS5 is desperately lacking in games. Practically all the games worth playing on the system are PS4 titles, or dual released as PS4 titles. Basically, if you have a PS4, you're covered for 99% of the games releasing on PS5. It's essentially just a PS4 Pro PRO at this point.

I'm sure that'll gradually change over the years but my goodness, it's already nearly 2 years old and there's only a very small handful of PS5 games worth buying that aren't available on PS4.

Not that I think it's not still worth owning. I got one, after all. But Idk what the rush is for some people. FOMO I guess.

I've never been a weeb or had any specific interest in hyper-Japanese style games. But I do find at least half the games I'm most interested in are JRPGs or developed by JP devs. Stuff like Triangle Strategy, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, Harvestella, Persona 5 Royal, Nier Automata... JP games just have more flavor than most western games (though there are exceptions- Portal Companion Collection is a perfect example). But ya. I'd even estimate 90% of the games I buy in total are Japanese, even despite my aversion to anime.

Edited on by JaxonH

Maxenmus

@JaxonH
Considering what Hollywood and American studios are churning out these days though, as a non-American Chinese, I have no problems buying mine Japanese to be honest, especially when anime made up a significant portion of my early 20s. I think "flavor" is a good word to describe it, but also "culture." Plus, most JRPGs just seem to love their eldritch abomination bosses, something I don't mind seeing no matter how stereotypical it gets. Either that or you fight God/Satan, so that's fresh, especially when American game studios would deliberately avoid such subjects to not upset their target buyers.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

JaxonH

@Maxenmus
I think it comes down to more creativity.

Western game variation seems to be much lower than Japanese game variation. So many Western games follow the same realism focused art style- its so lame. Not that some games don't look good with the realistic art style but when everything uses it all the time it's just not impressive anymore.

Japanese games have more elements of fantasy, more out there creations. More daring gameplay design. And even despite all the tropes, I feel like the stories are typically more interesting (though some games like Witcher 3 do a really good job). Japanese games also have better art styles on average, and less predictable characters.

Western games just feel so... corporate.

Maxenmus

@JaxonH
Well, I don't know about "less predictable characters" though. There's a common criticism out there targeting "typical anime character tropes" in JRPGs, and it's one of the main reasons people refrain from getting into JRPGs because they find such tropes silly, embarrassing, or even perverse in some manner, all the while ignoring the fact that certain American story tropes can be silly or dumb in their own way, particularly nowadays. But I guess they simply refer to such American tropes as "camp," while referring to anime tropes as "weeb." It stems from a certain level of xenophobia IMO, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I think "corporate" is a nice word to describe it. Western media has been more "safe" than ever, properly researched, packaged and marketed to the "right" audience, ensuring that they're not controversial and would pander to the widest range of demographics available rather than taking any forms of risk. But I wouldn't say Japanese media is some form of revolutionary either as anime has definitely taken a similar "safe" approach towards their animation style and music. I feel that most westerners would probably still find the anime artstyle unique because they either didn't grow up with anime or they just haven't been exposed to enough of it to feel the same saturation us obsessed animephiles have witnessed over the past decade. It's all stale on both sides IMO, which is why I dig up older titles than bother with the new (most of the time).

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

JaxonH

@Maxenmus
I definitely wouldn't say revolutionary, just better by comparison. Same for characters. For all the tropes in the world, I just identify with characters in JP games more. I like them more. They're more interesting. And maybe their designs have something to do with it- hard to say. But there's no denying I don't feel nearly as attached to characters in western games. I love Sniper Elite 4, but Karl is just another soldier to me. But a game like Bayonetta? She's wild, she's daring, she's interesting.

Maxenmus

JaxonH wrote:

I love Sniper Elite 4, but Karl is just another soldier to me. But a game like Bayonetta? She's wild, she's daring, she's interesting.

To be fair, Sniper Elite 4 is technically a military game, so having a soldier as the protagonist makes a lot of sense. In comparison, there are other action adventure games (which is what Bayonetta is classified as according to Google) that feature non-soldiers. Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2 is part of a gang; Kratos was a soldier but became a literal God of War; The Last of Us didn't start out with the characters being soldiers, merely survivors; Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn is huntress, not a soldier; A Plague Tale: Innocence doesn't have soldier protagonists, etc.

I get what you mean though about "daring and wild" characters that are far interesting, but especially with the likes of God of War, RDR2 and HZD, there's enough range in character traits to be found among non-Japanese games as well, not to mention the more non-conventional games like Stray (a literal cat) or even Slime Rancher 2. Destroy All Humans! is having an upcoming sequel as well that's unconventional, albeit merely paying homage to '50s UFO sci-fi.

I think that JRPGs tend to lean more into "wild and exciting" types all too often IMO, not to mention leaning into one or the other extreme end on the scale of optimistic cheerful types or the edgy, burdened with a dark origin warrior type. I think the latter in particular is the thing that has put people off of JRPGs. At some point, it comes off as pretentious.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

JaxonH

@Maxenmus
It was just an example. Point being, it's not being a soldier that's the issue, it's the fact he's not that interesting. Neither is Arthur from Red Dead. Neither is Kratos. They're all terribly predictable and boring.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic