Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 63,041 to 63,060 of 69,981

JaxonH

@BruceCM
Sure. All I know is the last one was super mediocre. And the other one I got on Steam wasn't much better. It just strikes me as an incredibly average (maybe even below average) series. The graphics looked pretty good on the last one, almost reminiscent of Xenoblade. But the voice work, dialog, battle system, pretty much every aspect that matters, was subpar.

But ya. Let me know if you think this one is any different.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
I really enjoyed playing FF Tactics on PS1 after I mastered all Math Skills and other magic spells from Wizard + White Mage + Oracle + Time Mage. With Math skills, I can strike the enemies with magic spells without using MP, without charging time and the magic spells will do more damage after I cast Faith on them (raising the magic attack but also lowering magic defense).

Last time I played FF Tactics PS1 in year 2005.
I still haven't find the right time to get FF Tactics PSP version to feed my nostalgic experience, it was 17 years ago I didn't play FF Tactics PS1.
I will also consider FF Tactics A2 NDS for different experience.

Anti-Matter

BruceCM

You probably don't mean the recent mobile game they did, @JaxonH ....? Which was pretty good as such things go but I dunno about the PS exclusive Integrity and Faithlessness
Generally, all the fans I've seen around the web say 2nd Evolution is the best, unless they prefer the original version of that, though
I'll agree Last Hope isn't great, I'd almost forgotten playing that!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

@Anti-Matter In theory, I should like FFT. After all, I'm a big fan of tactical gameplay and the grounded, politics-heavy storylines in games like FF XII and Triangle Strategy, but the gameplay just fell on the wrong side of being clunky for me. Maybe the PSP version is better, though.

I could see you really enjoying the GBA/NDS FF Tactics games, considering they adopt a much more child-friendly tone than the original.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Ah, that pretty much explains it, @Ralizah .... From what I've heard, Tactics Ogre Reborn should have the sort of story you'll like, then

SW-4357-9287-0699

Xyphon22

Welp, I just made a big mistake. I was randomly scrolling through my phone and saw an article for the 10 most heartbreaking deaths in video games, and I thought I'd see if I knew any of them. It turns out number 1 is from a game I am currently playing. I guess that cat is out of the bag. Might as well quit now.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

BruceCM

I'm pretty sure I know which one that'd be, @Xyphon22 .... It's a miracle you hadn't heard about that 1 before but it's definitely still well worth playing the game to see how the rest unfolds

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

@Xyphon22 I understand not wanting big twists and reveals spoiled for you, but you're really gonna quit playing a whole game just because you know someone's gonna die?

What's the game, by the way?

Kermit1doesmath

I think BOTW 2 could be Nintendo's 2023 summer game. I have nothing to back this up, but I have a feeling it won't be spring 2023.

dysgraphia awareness human

Xyphon22

@Ralizah I'm just joking about quitting. I'm enjoying the game and I'm definitely going to keep at it. And yes @BruceCM I think you of all people would know what it is. I'd never owned a PlayStation and never cared for the series, so I guess I never ran into any spoilers. I knew pretty much nothing about it other than the names of the main protagonist and antagonist, despite how famous and popular it is.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

BruceCM

Yeah, I thought it must be Aerith, @Xyphon22 .... That has to be the best known example of that & I certainly can't think of many others! Glad you're going to carry on with the game, though, it's definitely still well worth it for plenty of reasons

SW-4357-9287-0699

Pizzamorg

Just a heads up, the below post includes massive spoilers for Live A Live. I tried to wrap spoiler tags around it and they wouldn't show up for some reason, so I am just gonna put this disclaimer on the front. If Mods want to edit Spoiler tags in if you can get them to work, be my guest.

So I had no idea that when you clear the seven chapters in Live A Live you unlock a bonus chapter, and then completing that unlocks a further chapter. And then does that unlock another chapter again? Dunno, haven't got that far yet.

I have some mixed feelings about this first bonus chapter, though. At first I was so excited as I genuinely had no idea this was a thing. But honestly in practice this first bonus chapter is kind of a massive slog.

Like don't get me wrong, visually, it is again an absolute stunner. The use of light and colour, just truly scrummy and some of animations for abilities in this chapter are wild. Sadly, underneath all of that, is just a generic JRPG of the time, with basically no gimmicks whatsoever.

I think if this was just a full game just in isolation, I would have probably enjoyed this more for what it was, but in the context of the wider game around it, with so many chapters trying to do interesting things, being given probably the blandest segment in the whole game as a bonus for finishing the other chapters just feels... odd.

Oh and the endless random battles, my God, the utter tedium of it.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Grumblevolcano

Finally dragged myself from MK8 Deluxe to return to XC3, don't want too long of a gap. Long gaps are fine with story light games like MH but not for story heavy games like Xenoblade.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Ralizah
So. Having owned your OLED for a bit now, what are your final thoughts? Glad you bought it? Regretful you bought it? Has it met 100% of your expectations? Exceeded expectations, or fell short? And if it has fallen short, are you still glad you got it regardless? I'm asking with regard to everything- the screen quality, the improved battery life, the kickstand, the extra storage and slightly fuller audio, the larger screen size, the smaller bezels, etc.

And do you recommend it to others? If so, who?

You already know where I stand on these issues. But I'm curious where you stand now.

@Grumblevolcano
So true. Gotta make an active commitment to keep playing and not let any long gaps fizzle you out on a good JRPG.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

Oooft, Live A Live's final chapter is both exactly what I hoped it would be, and also a punishing reminder this is still a game from the early 90s.

I lost like maybe an hour, hour a halfs (?) worth of progress. I followed the map marker with minimal exploration (as they reuse environments) and ended up right in front of the final boss about a thousand years too early.

After he curb stomped my partly formed, under levelled, team, I thought I would just reload in front of the boss room as we have been conditioned to expect from modern games. But no, in reality, there was no escape and I was now soft locked. I had to load my latest save, which was very early into the chapter.

I ended up looking up a guide and basically the entire contents of this chapter is never once explained to the audience, you just have to go out of your way and hope you stumble across things. I have had to play basically this whole chapter with a guide open because it is so obtuse.

How did people beat these games without internet?

That being said, while I know that sounds very negative, that frustration aside, Live A Live basically being an MCU Phase, about two decades earlier, only captured as a gorgeous JRPG.... Just take all of my money.

It is crazy to me just how ambitious this game is. Like you play games inspired by games of this era, or other 2.5HD remakes of games and they still feel old. But you could have told me this was made this year, and was just given a retro style and I would believe you.

I think when I am done with Live a Live, it'll be another one of those select few games, where you feel like you are chasing a comparable experience like it for the rest of your life, and never coming close.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Other than actually being more powerful or coming with better joycons, I think the SWOLED is pretty much everything I could have ever wanted in a console revision. The metal frame and glass screen may add the slightest bit of heft to it, but they also make it feel significantly more premium than the plastic-y original model. It's like comparing an iPad to a cheap Chinese knock-off. The large, vivid screen makes even the game icons shine with a sort of luminescence that they previously lacked. The increase in storage size is nice, although it doesn't take too many games to eat that up. Still, the added bit of wiggle room helps, and I find myself fairly satisfied with the amount of space available on my system.

The impact of the new screen definitely differs from game-to-game. A few subnative ones actually look a little more noticeably blurry, and, with some games, the more vivid colors aren't terribly noticeable, but most games enjoy some baseline level of improvement that makes them more enjoyable to play in handheld mode, and some, like Tetris Effect, are borderline magical on the new screen.

The increased battery life has taken a while to get adjusted to, because I've spent years babying the battery life of my launch model, so the temptation to run and put it back on a charger when I'm not using it is pretty strong still. But it's nice. I remember so many times where I'd get into a game, and there'd be a long string of events that'd occur without allowing me to save, and the dreaded low battery icon would flash on the screen before I was able to put it away for the night, forcing me to play it docked or sitting next to a wall charger. Now I can just play my games without worrying about the battery life as long as it charged semi-recently. It's nice.

The only downside I can think of is that it has made my docked play experience worse by comparison, since the colors just sort of look washed out now. I won't be able to upgrade my monitor any time soon, but nabbing a cheap OLED screen for docked play seems to be in order at some point.

I just feel kind of... satisfied with my Switch now. Not even terribly interested in the Steam Deck any more, since I'd rather just play games on this. We'll see if that feeling changes when the new console smell wears off. If a revised model launches with an LCD screen, I'm not sure I'll even bother upgrading.

BTW, the thing seems to have shipped in perfect condition. And while I'm not exactly sure how to test for it, I've played dark games and videos in a variety of brightness conditions and haven't noticed any sort of "green tint," so hopefully I've won the lottery there.

I wouldn't go back to a non-OLED unit, frankly. I'd be semi-tempted to sell off my Lite, but I like having a spare around, and I don't think the thing will fetch enough to make a listing worth losing out on having it.

Oh, the new kickstand is perfect as well. No complaints.

@Pizzamorg I appreciate you detailing your extended impressions of Live-A-Live, as you've definitely made me more interested in the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

skywake

So I'm on a couple of weeks of leave ATM and find myself playing a fair bit more Switch lately. More than I have in a long while, particularly in portable mode. Lots of Hades, fair bit of the new Mario Kart tracks. And I think with this console being well 5 years old now I'm starting to see a bit of battery degradation. Doesn't quite last as long as it used to.....

I'm finding myself slightly regretting my decision to not pick up the Switch OLED now. Just a bit. But I'm also stubborn enough to not actually buy the Switch OLED because I still think something new isn't that far off. Also other than battery life, my Switch is in FAR better nick than my OG 3DS or even my 3DS XL was in the end. 5 years is a long time for a portable gaming device. By far one of the most "durable" and good value Nintendo purchases, or gaming purchases in general, I have ever made. I don't think I would regret getting an OLED if I did for some reason I did fold and pick one up, because I do regret not picking up a New 2DS late in 3DS' dying days

On the other side of the equation, I find myself buying games I would have once got on Switch on Steam. And the main reason being that I don't know what Nintendo is going to do with those purchases. They have a track record here and I'm not particularly fond of it.

As an example, occasionally I have a bunch of people over and we play party games, usually once every couple of months. I was considering picking up one of the newer Jackbox games when we last did this a few days ago but then I stopped and thought about it. They're charging almost $50AU for this (not on sale). What if that purchase doesn't carry? How many more times are we going to catch up before I unplug my Switch dock and put new hardware in its place?

........ so I put it on my Steam Wishlist

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kermit1doesmath

@Fizza tell me when you start playing Skyward Sword again. I need a reason to start playing it again lol, the Xenoblade 3 bug is eating my time up.

dysgraphia awareness human

Anti-Matter

So I want to ask about Kirby Star Allies.
From YouTube video I watched, there are some another modes after the storyline.
What are they and what are the rewards by finishing them?

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@NeonPizza I think it's most likely that the Mega Man GB games, Mega Man & Bass (GBA) and Battle Chip Challenge will be NSO games. As for Legends and Powered Up, probably additions to PS+ Premium.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic