Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 60,461 to 60,480 of 61,035

Pizzamorg

I am just about 10ish hours into SMT 3 now and I feel like I am liking this a little less, the more I play? I feel like my main problem is the game is just so ***** exhausting. Every location you visit is a puzzle to solve - sometimes intentionally, but sometimes just because the level design is ***** awful. I basically have to have a walkthrough open on my phone the entire time I am playing this game, just to know where to go. Especially as you aren't just organically progressing forwards all the time, you'll often be required to retread huge amounts of ground just to have a brief conversation and then retread that entire ground again to go to the next location. I'd have no reason to assume that is what the game wants me to do and since it gives no way of speeding up this process, so much game time is wasted just walking backwards and forwards between the same locations. There are fast travel points, but they'll usually be at the beginning of a maze of identical looking corridors you need to wade through. I want to have the joy of exploration, but the game gives the illusion of choice and actually gives you only one fixed path, with usually the most convoluted route to get there.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Ring Fit Adventure. Pokemon Shield. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

Pizzamorg

GameOtaku wrote:

@Pizzamorg
You can use warp stations.

It is in my original post "There are fast travel points, but they'll usually be at the beginning of a maze of identical looking corridors you need to wade through."

Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Ring Fit Adventure. Pokemon Shield. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

GameOtaku

@Pizzamorg
It’s not really that bad when you consider grinding and getting fodder for fusion is the name of the game.

GameOtaku

Pizzamorg

GameOtaku wrote:

@Pizzamorg
It’s not really that bad when you consider grinding and getting fodder for fusion is the name of the game.

Those elements are fun, but it doesn't make the world any less miserable to navigate through.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg The game almost always gives some indication of where you need to be. If not through didactic means (cutscenes, conversations with important secondary characters), then often through conversation with NPCs. Now, they won't say: "Go here, do this," but they will often mention someone strange who was seen in a a particular area, or mention a conflict brewing in this or that place, and so on. It's just a very old-school JRPG in that it doesn't hold your hand at all.

As to the dungeons... they're designed like labyrinthine puzzles, yeah, and just to warn you, they get a hundred times more oppressive as the game goes on. Particularly certain late-game dungeons and deeper Kalpas in the Labyrinth of Amala.

Anyway, where are you in the story? Have you been able to reach Ikebukuro yet?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
Shin Megami Tensei V (NS)

Pizzamorg

Ralizah wrote:

@Pizzamorg The game almost always gives some indication of where you need to be. If not through didactic means (cutscenes, conversations with important secondary characters), then often through conversation with NPCs. Now, they won't say: "Go here, do this," but they will often mention someone strange who was seen in a a particular area, or mention a conflict brewing in this or that place, and so on. It's just a very old-school JRPG in that it doesn't hold your hand at all.

As to the dungeons... they're designed like labyrinthine puzzles, yeah, and just to warn you, they get a hundred times more oppressive as the game goes on. Particularly certain late-game dungeons and deeper Kalpas in the Labyrinth of Amala.

Anyway, where are you in the story? Have you been able to reach Ikebukuro yet?

I think it is more the issue that they'll be like "go to the corner shop" and you'll be like "okay", but the entrance is blocked off on the mini map, with no clear way to get there. You look at a guide and realise you have to visit a location you went to hours earlier, take a right turn where you would gone left, go up a few ladders, go through some doors, do some elevators and you'll come out of a side entrance that lets you get to the corner shop. I just don't know how I would have ever found that, without a guide.

The last thing I did in the game was liberate some kind of prison.

link3710

Welp... Sounds like Vicarious Visions is essentially dead now with the merger news. If they don't lose 50+% of their employees in the next two years I'll be shocked. At least they went out with a bang with Crash 4.

Too bad Spyro and Crash (and THPS) are gonna be dead again...

link3710

JaxonH

Glad to see Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are coming to Switch. These are a natural choice for the system.

I still remember buying Temple of Osiris on PS4- I distinctly recall it because it was the first physical game I ever purchased where I opened the case to find a download code printed on a piece of paper. Of course, it was originally intended as a digital only release, but it still shocked me.

At least Square Enix is finally starting to bring some of their western games to Switch. Life Is Strange Remastered Collection and Life Is Strange True Colors, along with Tomb Raider Guardian of Light and Tomb Raider Temple of Osiris, is starting to show a change in trend. That's good to see.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Shin Megami Tensei V, MH Rise
3DS:
Steam: Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

So, Mario Party Superstars officially has the highest review aggregate of any game in the series, actually tied with the very first game on N64. I don't really trust aggregates quantitatively, but qualitatively, this bodes well.

Sounds like this is the best Mario Party has been in decades.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

reporterdavid

@JaxonH did the swap the "Tomb Raider" title?

@JaxonH yeah. one of the best out there.. maby. its a maby for me. still thinking about my next game.

Edited on by reporterdavid

Blessed. Voiceactor: Pirates! (Sony/Aardman 2012) - The Passion: A Brickfilm (2019) - Friendcode: SW-3266-3881-2027

JaxonH

@reporterdavid
The Lara Croft games are a spinoff of the main Tomb Raider series, and offer an isometric 3rd person view of exploring dungeons, kind of a mix between Legend of Zelda and Diablo.

They're actually really high quality.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

Of course we get the mobile spinoff Tomb Raider games, lol.

The first game was a last gen title and Rise was cross-gen, so you can't tell me they couldn't optimize those titles to run well on the system.

Oh well. I have the first two on my PS4, and I'm drowning in Switch games anyway, so no big.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
Shin Megami Tensei V (NS)

JaxonH

Wow, that was fast. Dying Light devs just released an update capping framerate at 30 and increasing resolution in handheld mode, among other things.

It looks impressive.

Untitled

@Ralizah
I'd like those games too, but don't mistake these for being mobile games. They're not.

A mobile port was created only after the console release, so they are by all accounts console games.

Again, I'd like to see the main series too, but these are quality console designed games and I think they're particularly a great fit for Switch given the MP nature of co-op offered.

This is the first time the series has come to Nintendo platforms, so it's a big win. Believe me, I feel your frustration and completely agree with your assessment of TR and RotTR. But... progress. We're getting there. More and more series are finding their way to Switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

MsJubilee

@link3710 Vicarious Vision didn't make Crash 4. Toys for Bob did. Also, they never made a mainline Spyro title—only the spinoffs like Skylanders. So I don't see Spyro & Crash being killed off so quickly because of this news.

I don't enjoy suffering alone. However, I don't mind making others suffer alone.

Playing through Batman Arkham City, inFAMOUS Second Son, and Jenny LeCLue

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

HotGoomba

@link3710 No, they were just assigned to co-develop Call of Duty

Please, for the love of everything, don't click on the link on my profile.

You've been warned

HotGoomba

@link3710 Yeah developing for CoD is worse than death

Please, for the love of everything, don't click on the link on my profile.

You've been warned

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic