Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,721 to 59,740 of 69,995

Pizzamorg

It's an extremely slippery slope to equate a large quantity of people as some sort of seal. Lots of people think the moon isn't real, but that doesn't make it true. Just like lots of people buying OLED TVs doesn't mean there ain't a real issue with burn in, especially with gaming.

And I ain't saying you need to change how you're thinking. I'm just saying there's always someone in these conversations who needs to do a "acshullllly 'insert personal anecdote here' burn in ain't a real problem".

And every time it's just like... Bruh. You can't tell someone burn in isn't a problem because you've not had a problem personally yourself.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

I can appreciate that. But I think in the nuance of what I'm saying (yes, it's a risk, but it shouldn't be a concern for most normal users, as your linked article also said, on top of which my personal beliefs are based partly on personal experience, and because my personal experience has been positive, not with one but four devices, I feel that much more confident- its not the basis of my conclusion- if I was concerned I never would have bought the devices to begin with, so clearly my beliefs were formed long before my anecdotes- they simply reaffirm my beliefs; neither was I using my experiences as evidence, but rather, an explanation for how I came to the conclusions I have)... there's a massive difference between that and someone saying, "eh, it's a hoax, doesn't exist, why would anyone ever consider that?"

Again, my beliefs basically align with the article you shared. Anyone wishing yo know where I stand on the issue, one only need read that article. And since you shared it, I can only assume you agree with their assessment, which I also agree with.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/oled-screen-burn...

Also, popularity doesn't mean it's not an issue. But expanding popularity does mean, all things considered, people are still buying them over and over again despite said issues and stated risks. And that isn't meaningless. In fact, it tells us a lot. It tells us, on the whole, most people aren't having issues, or if they are, they perceive the benefits so great they're willing to buy anyways.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

And that is fine for you, but I think it is a disservice to tell anyone who is concerned about burn in that it isn’t really a big deal because you personally haven’t had issues. The last thing you want to do is to talk someone into buying into OLED tech, only for them to have burn in problems because they play long sessions of games with static huds and then have remorse over their purchase.

If you aren’t concerned about OLED or have had no problems, then fine/great for you!

If you have any concern about OLED burn in, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, do your research. Look at your gaming habits, the kind of games you play, how you play etc and then weigh up the risk.

Also keep in mind, LCD isn’t rubbish, they are still great screens. They are also often cheaper and it is next to impossible to end up with burn in or retention on those screens. So for some they will be the better solution.

JaxonH

New Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak trailer and amiibo looks slick.

Clearly a werewolf inspired monster, and the woman looks like Rhondine's sister.

@Pizzamorg
I said I don't think it's a big deal (which I don't). But I also specifically stated anyone who feels it's a risk should stay away. I'm not telling anyone who is skeptical they shouldn't be. I'm just saying I'm not, and explaining why I don't buy into the excessive fear over it.

As I mentioned before, ppl can make their own decisions and evaluate their own risk. But I also don't think it needs to be brought up every time OLED is discussed, as everyone is already aware. Ppl can do their own research if they're concerned.

All devices have a limited lifespan. The question isn't if something will happen, but when. So it's just a matter of evaluating whether the expected lifespan and benefits during that expected lifespan is worth the cost. And that's a judgment each person has to make for themselves. If someone fears burn-in then they'll make their personal decision accordingly. I'm not interfering with that. I'm just saying it's a great system and I recommend it.

Oh, and I agree. For some LCD will be a better solution. It definitely works, and there's nothing wrong with that if LCD is someone's choice. Certainly isn't my choice though.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

Well, the OLED screen itself means very little to me because I mostly play on TV, so... burn-in or not, it's not the selling feature for me.

Frankly, the things I want the most from a new Switch are the dock with the wired internet and new Joycons lol

But 350 is just too much for me at the moment. That's a lot of clams to put toward my family in other regards.

rallydefault

Dany4k

For people that use the Switch connected to the TV most of the time (like me, 95% of the time is docked) this is a pointless upgrade. An ethernet adapter is like 10 bucks and even then the speed is not that great from several tests I have seen online (even on the new dock the internet speeds are the same as wifi).

Even the "new" Nintendo 3DS upgrades were more useful than this, the console was more powerfull and saw increased fps on several games.

Dany4k

JaxonH

Well, sure. I don't think anyone's arguing TV only players should upgrade.

Hard disagree on New 3DS though. A few games did see improvements but not many. A few games seeing improvements is negligible compared to the difference a larger OLED makes for every single game on the system, the longer battery life and tabletop mode that's actually quality.

Giancarlothomaz

i knew Nintendo would never show Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 at TGA 2021, they are saving the game to showcase more information regarding the game at E3 2022.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH I wasn't planning on getting an OLED for a while, but now that I've tracked down a white one for my nieces, AND my fan has gotten louder and crazier in the past week, I'm getting nervous, and I started watching to see if I can find a red/blue OLED.

I figured my fan just had a lose fit, because it only made the whirring sound on occassion while using as handheld. But yesterday it was making the sound docked, which is a first, I think. It's been like this since 2017 or 2018. Works find otherwise.

Here's the whirring sound. I don't know if anyone else's makes this sound. 😁 It's always temporary, only seems to happen when i boot up Splatoon, or Rocket League. Hmmm both online games.🤔

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

JaxonH

@WoomyNNYes
It's in stock at Amazon right now. I just posted this in the Search For Christmas OLED thread.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098RL6SBJ?

And btw, that doesn't sound normal at all. None of my Switches have ever made that sound.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

Yeah, as tempting as the SWOLED's new screen is, I really wanted some sort of internal improvement to the system. Not even necessarily a "Switch Pro," but even something more conservative along the lines of the New 3DS would have been irresistible to me. That revision evened out performance in certain games, was far snappier across the board because of the increase in RAM, "fixed" the 3D (I actually can't take advantage of the face-tracking 3D, unfortunately, but people without thick glasses like mine tell me it's a massive improvement), added extra buttons and a c-nub, and had access to certain exclusive ports, so it felt like a far more essential upgrade.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

WoomyNNYes

JaxonH wrote:

@WoomyNNYes] that doesn't sound normal at all. None of my Switches have ever made that sound.

That's the response I was expecting.😁😁😁 It's always performed fine otherwise. It only does that after I've booted a game, then settles down, quiet & normal. I think the sound is fan blade wobble. Since launch, my console goes into a drawer when not in use, internal dust isn't a likely suspect. I've used canned air on it once a year since 2017. So, it's been a very clean, well cared for console.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya, that's right, it did make it snappier to download (although it was still slow as dirt regardless). And the glasses free 3D was a ton better. Pondering it now... ya, I ​think I agree it felt more "essential" but I don't think it provided more entertainment value. The C nub was horrible (we had Circle Pad Pro already which was better), and the improvements in games wasn't something I ever noticed. MH4U supposedly got closer to 60, but it was a variable framerate, so ya. Idk. I can't remember playing any games thinking wow, this is such a better experience now. Aside from a game stuttering, I could never tell which games were 30 or 60 or 45 on that small, 240p screen. Maybe others could, Idk. And the extra buttons were hardly ever used.

It was a solid upgrade, don't get me wrong. But I think the reason it felt more essential was how dirt slow the 3DS was, and how bad the 3D was without eye tracking. It kinda felt like v2.0 of what the 3DS was meant to be if it was working properly from the start. Whereas Switch OLED, aside from the kickstand, feels like a legitimate upgrade rather than just getting to baseline of expectations. It feels like a genuine improvement, where every game looks better (notably better in many cases). I never got that feeling from New 3DS. Most games felt no different than what they were like on the original 3DS XL.

But I also think it's something you appreciate more once you have one. Kinda like Switch back in 2017. It sounded good, but once we got it in our hands it was like ok, I get it now. This handheld thing is was cooler than I expected. That's how I felt upgrading to the OLED. I knew it was better- I'm not new to the tech after all, but once I got it in my hand, it was like, ahhh I get it now. I'm not saying it's the biggest upgrade we've ever seen, but I tell you what, I've gotten far more enjoyment out of this upgrade than I ever got from my New 3DS or PS4 Pro.

Pizzamorg

I picked up Luigi’s Mansion and while I usually enjoy gyro controls the sort of I don’t even know what it is… twin stick, gyro, combo is just a nightmare. Especially in handheld.

They’ve sort of part inverted the role of each stick and the role of each stick also changes slightly contextually if you’re using the hoover thing or what you are doing with the hoover. This often means I move the stick as I would in any other game but it doesn’t do what it would in any other game, this creates a very disorientating and frustrating experience.

Likewise, if you have the omnidirectional option on it kinda cancels out the need for the gyro but it just feels completely unwieldy, whereas the other movement option with the gyro aiming is better (for me). However, I am used to the role of gyro being a way of fine tuning your aim, with the body of the work still done by the sticks. However, here you are sort of in a 2.5 plane with the sticks really doing very little and the gyro carrying most of the weight. This again creates a lot of disorientation and frustration.

I am sure I will get used to it eventually, but just having a real hard time with it right now and can’t really understand why they didn’t just use a more conventional scheme for the game. Does this weird scheme actually enhance the experience in the end?

Edited on by Pizzamorg

WoomyNNYes

@Pizzamorg I'm assuming you saw there was a second control scheme. I don't expect the alternate control scheme to wow you, though. They are both kinda quirky.

Yeah, it's a little weird at first. I got used to it fairly quickly. If I haven't' played LM3 in a while, it sometimes takes me a few minutes to get accustomed to the controls again. The controls remind me of 3DS Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon - they were similar, if I remember right.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

JaxonH

Paper Mario is so good.

Untitled

Untitled

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
I wish Paper Mario games from N64 + Gamecube + Wii got remastered on Nintendo Switch like 3D All Stars so i can have a chance to play TTYD that i will never able to purchase TTYD from online shop due to inflated price.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
I'd love that too. But I doubt they will.

I have the original games on my shelf but no system to play them in. Used to play on GPD Win 2 and bounce saves over the network to my desktop PC, but SteamDeck will be much easier to just dock and play on the TV that way, at least for GameCube and Wii games.

That system can't come soon enough.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic