Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,741 to 59,760 of 60,255

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah @JaxonH I think the style of game would be why it doesn't come to Nintendo platforms. From what's been announced so far, I think it may be a M rated GaaS game.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
GaaS lol?

No I don't think so.

It'll be like what they did to Final Fantasy. AAA-ified and Sony-fied with a bunch of close up over the shoulder shots with thin corridors and cracks in walls you move through slowly as the camera pans up behind the shoulder for that "ooh" and "ahh" effect. Real time combat and a focus on graphics and cinematics and a story that presents itself as being "mature"

The light hearted romp with silly enemies and classic turn based combat... that's not marketable to the masses in the west. So DQXIS may well truly be the last of its kind.

PLAYING
NS: METROID DREAD (10/10 muah!)
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but this quote sounds like your typical "we're going to support a game for 10 years" type thing.

“Dragon Quest XII is being developed taking into account the next 10 to 20 years of the Dragon Quest series... There are parts that remain consistent with the traditional image of Dragon Quest, but new elements are also necessary. After all, as a brand we always need to innovate.”

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/dragon_quest_xii_co...

Square Enix has delved a lot more into the GaaS space recently with stuff like Outriders and Avengers.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WoomyNNYes

With Pokemon Arceus coming in January, it's made me wonder. Has the Switch had any other big Nintendo game releases in January?

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider
Ni'tendo liker
Rocket League (platinum III/diamond I - 3v3)

Pizzamorg

I so have to wonder what the future of the Switch is when it comes to third party games designed with next gen consoles in mind. Like the Switch hardware wasn't amazing when it came out and it's getting pretty long in the tooth, now. While there has been some amazing success stories on the Switch, it seems like without some really dedicated optimisation, even basic games seem to struggle to run on the Switch - like I hear even stuff like Disco Elysium has a huge performance hit on Switch and I'm just like... how??? It is basically a text based game! And I mean even modern games made for the Switch, aren't always great from a performance perspective. Three Houses really doesn't look good docked and that game chugs in really weird places. Rise's heavily compressed, 720p, visuals and 30 fps cap feels really rough in 2021. I hear Hyrule Warriors can be borderline unplayable docked, too, but I haven't personally played that one.

And now we're in this COVID world, how many people are wanting to play a severely compromised version of a game, just so they can take it on the train with them? Especially once we get into the swing of devs really trying to push the capabilities of the PS5/Series X and the new generation of cards.

Like I think the Switch will be fine as first party games will still exist, but unless a more powerful Switch arrives, I can see flagship third party releases being either cloud only or disappearing entirely from Switch over the next couple of years.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: I am Setsuna, Splatoon 2, Cruis'n Blast.
Non-Switch games I am currently playing: Far Cry 6, Life is Strange: True Colors.

DarthNocturnal

@Grumblevolcano

I see it as "we're going to be challenging the usual conventions of the franchise, and if it pans out, it could become the new standard for the franchise".

If I recall correctly, they did hint that player choice will play a bigger role. And then there's the potentially darker tone.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

These new Mario Golf courses are excellent. More difficult courses, that's for sure. I got creamed in last place on amateur on the ice course. I did get 1st on the tropical sand course though. Super well designed, so that the default aiming is almost never where you ideally want to hit the ball.

@Grumblevolcano
Just sounds to me like their excuse for changing the core identity of the series so they can have something to sell to the masses in the west.

Aka "quirky turn based doesn't sell the numbers we want the west, ergo, we're changing it"

Not that I care that much. I like Dragon Quest, but I don't like it that much. They're gonna do what they're gonna do. I'm just tired of Square Enix selling out their classics in the pursuit of "the wider western audience". There's games that can appeal by streamlining with a larger budget (Monster Hunter World and Monster Hunter Rise) and then there are games that will never appeal unless you change the core identity of the series (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest).

Thank goodness for their Switch team. Gonna be the only one left at SE where we can reliably depend on them to produce high quality turn based rpgs. Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy... these are the pinnacle of Square Enix RPGs now. I'd like to see SE offer them a larger budget for these games, but, maybe they're just not profitable enough to warrant more than they currently receive. And you know what... I'm OK with that. If keeping the budget moderate is what makes them feasible, then so be it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

While I didn't care much for the new Dragon Quest, I do think it is a shame a lot of traditional turn based series are moving to either a full action game approach, or some kind of hybrid or "with a twist" system. Like even Bravely Default and the titular system, like can I please just turn this off and just play it as a straight turn based game?

I guess that is why I ended up enjoying Stories 2 as much as I did this year, in fact it might be my game of the year tbh, there is still a bit of a twist I guess with the different attack types, but it is probably the closest to a proper turn based RPG I've played in a while. Like I enjoy games like Xenoblade or I am Setsuna or whatever, but I would have preferred they were just normal turn based games to be honest. The extra steps they add onto the turn based approach detract more than they add for me.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: I am Setsuna, Splatoon 2, Cruis'n Blast.
Non-Switch games I am currently playing: Far Cry 6, Life is Strange: True Colors.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Alot. Which is clear by the incredibly high sales numbers of games today. Because it's not just "on the train" where ppl play handheld. It's at home, in the recliner. Downstairs in the kitchen. At work 5 days a week. It's just a more personal gaming experience many ppl prefer.

So ya, there's always gonna be ppl who think, "I don't get it, I never fly on airplanes so I'd never use it" and those ppl simply aren't the target audience.

Some games have struggled but by and large most games are satisfactory. MH Rise may not look as good at 856p with dynamic res down to 720p, but for people who value portable MH, it not only looks good enough and runs well enough, it exceeds expectations.

There's always going to be games that aren't that demanding and can run. PS4 and X1 will be getting cross gen ports for years. By the time that stops a new Switch will be out.

I don't see anything changing. But even if it does, we'll be so far in the tail end of the generation anyways it won't matter much. And, we now have companies making bespoke games ground up for Switch at target platform (Capcom with MH Rise, MH Rise Sunbreak, Resident Evil Switch, Square Enix with Neo TWEWY, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy, Ubisoft with Mario Rabbids, etc) that, combined with Nintendo's own games, I can't imagine it'll feel much different. Plus there's still tons of 7th and 8th gen games that can be ported at any time.

edit
Also, MH Stories 2 is amazing. More ppl need to play that game.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Hmm I stay out of the speculation when it comes to gaming or my budget. Just dealing with announced games is expensive enough.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Sure. But either way, there's going to be games we don't yet know about, be it those or other, completely yet unknown games.

Point being, there's more than just what we see on that infographic.

PLAYING
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
I read that quote more as, "If people like this game, this is the direction we wanna take DQ for the next generation."

rallydefault

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH To that yes you are correct. Seeing the speculation titles made me back away from that comment. But in general since games don’t stop yeah it’s going to be a money pit.

I’m supposed to be on a strict budget next year though. Need a bigger apartment since I now work from home permanently and I am tired of tripping over computers. Plus paying for school outta pocket (rather that than more loans though) but it will be funny going back to being a broke college student (relatively speaking) at 36. Lucky for me I have not had a TV for two years and a busted xbone so I have plenty of unopened games (let alone the switch backlog).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

BruceCM

DQXII is awhile away yet.... I'll certainly want to see more about that game, whatever they end up doing with it

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

I feel like I just can't find a good YT channel for Nintendo content nowadays. One with ppl I can actually relate to, who are excited for the same games I'm excited for on Switch.

It seems like more and more, people have this attitude toward Nintendo Switch of "I'm a big boy, I'm too grown up and cool for that, we only slobber over AAA games here" or an attitude of "unless it's Mario or Zelda, it doesn't exist to us".

I watch IGN scoop or whatever, and they're just, "Kirby is lame, don't care about Splatoon, KOTOR is such a blunder on Switch, hahaha PS5 is getting a remake losers". Then I watch ACG podcast discussing the Direct, and none of them have actually seen it, Karak asks if Metroid looks good and all 3 guests just shrug their shoulds like "meh, I guess". They don't even mention Splatoon 3 or half the other games shown.

Then I watch Alana Pierce Direct response and she doesn't even mention Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak.

Then I watch Spawncast and listen to RGT trash the Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak announcement. "Oh its just DLC, horrible announcement, Direct didn't even get good enough to bother watching for first 10 minutes". Dude, are you that thick? It's not just "mere DLC" you igno, it's THE Master Rank Ultimate Edition Expansion everyone's been waiting on. The Iceborne of Rise. This is a MASSIVE announcement.

I watch NintendoLife's video about Direct highlights. Again, not so much as a footnote on Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak.

Like, really? This would NEVER happen if it were a PS Event. Only on Switch are games treated with such a dismissive attitude.

I can't relate to anyone anymore. Where's the content creators that understand the significance of Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, at least to the extent they could bother mentioning it or not trash it like it's some $1.99 costume DLC... where's the content creators that understand the hype for a 3D Kirby, who understand how amazing Splatoon is, who actually care about KOTOR coming to Switch and don't just try to use it to mock the system in some 3rd grade fanboy pissing contests?

Where's the content creators that actually have their finger on the pulse of what Switch gamers care about? Pretty soon I'm just gonna seclude myself in some Nintendo diehard fanboy channel. I can't stand their ignorance either but at this point, I'm tired of watching content creators who don't respect the games I care about.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

kkslider5552000

Imagine watching an IGN podcast, intentionally. I imagine that's just waste of time for anyone who has any real passion for most video games.

GVG usually has a fairly reasonable take on the games, and while I've not watched them in a while Easy Allies are rarely dismissive from what I remember (and the recent Nintendo-y podcast they have, Friend Code, was about the Direct). While I do think this reaction is a bit much, I do agree with the point of how people are dismissive for most of the cool stuff announced at Directs is really dumb. Even when a game I'm not into is announced, I usually know the significance of why an announcement would be cool and excite people. Like Stealth_ on Twitter put this perfectly when he posted a video of someone going nuts over the Legend of Mana remaster, a game most people didn't think much of when it was announced for Switch.

I will say though...that Monster Hunter announcement was kinda nothing. It was a cg nothing trailer to announce that they're doing what I assume is the exact same strategy of DLC they did for World. I can't imagine fans were that shocked after it sold so well. Even I was a huge MonHun guy, I'm not sure I'd get that excited for that trailer personally. I don't even like most CG only trailers for new games for that matter, let alone DLC.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

alexwolf

@JaxonH

I think Arlo, BeatEmUps, and Austin John Plays are pretty good Nintendo-related channels, all of them uploaded Direct reaction videos.

alexwolf

Budda

@JaxonH
I know what you mean. I watch several Nintendo focused channels.
But from the bunch I'd say AndresRestart has a wide spread interest in Nintendo games. Rule of 2 Review is basically Metroid focused but I like his"neutral" points of fews. Both very small channels.
I also have something for Pokémon/Nintendo (not the usual poketuber)... And so on...
I have several channels for each franchise basically.

Budda

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Games discussion is dead now really. Or at least it feels like it. It’s either complaints, speculation/ rumor (but no talking about actual games that are announced or upcoming ), console wars, and infighting. Many Gamers are seemingly some of the most miserable people on the planet and news which needs clicks feeds that cycle makes it worse.

If you like something you are a shill or as one person that had nothing better to do told me yesterday, wasting your time. It’s horrible.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic