Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,701 to 59,720 of 69,996

Magician

Just placed my Japanese import Xmas order. Wing of Darkness, Eastward, Dungeon & Gravestone, Alba: A Wildlife Adventure, eBaseball Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2021, and Aleste Collection. Wing of Darkness might be the worst reviewed game of the bunch, but for $18 I wanted to give it a try. Alba & Eastward have reviewed well, no concerns over either of those. Dungeon & Gravestone...I think is a bit too niche and will have a fairly low print run like BlockQuest Maker did.

Lastly, the cornerstones of the order are the Aleste Collection (which was finally marked down 20%) and eBaseball. I'm a shmup fan, so the Aleste Collection was going to be added to my collection eventually. And until MLB The Show arrives on Switch, eBaseball Pro Yakyuu Spirits is probably the best sim-baseball game available on the platform, sans the Super Mega Baseball series. eBaseball was marked down 43%, so I felt the time was right to order a copy.

eBaseball will be the first game I play from this order.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pizzamorg

Heard lots of good things about Loop Hero, so I just bought it on my Switch now it’s dropped.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

Who was that who posted saying they were looking for Switch OLED?

Ping them and let them know, live at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-Model-w-White...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

Switch outselling PS5 by a factor of more than 100 this week, I think it's worth a chuckle.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/famitsu-sales-11-29-21-12-5-21

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

IceClimbers

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is $12 on the US eShop for the Game Awards sale. That's a steal of a price.

Also Best Buy has BotW at $30 for their deal of the day. Don't know if I've seen it that low before.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ralizah

@JaxonH wtf the OLED was up hours ago and... it's still live! Can't wrap my head around it. This thing has been like gold dust since release. Almost kind of eerie not seeing hardware vanish the instant it goes live.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Buizel

Just watched NintendoLife's 31 Best Switch Games Yet video. Blimey, it's amazing how many quality games we have on the system at this point. The video doesn't even mention a ton of games I've had a great time with, such as Octopath Traveler, Valkyria Chronicles 4, the main series Pokemon games, New Pokemon Snap, Hyrule Warriors, Persona 5 Strikers, Bayonetta 2, Cadence of Hyrule, Mario and Rabbids, Shin Megami Tensei V, Ys VIII, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Streets of Rage 4, Mario Party Superstars, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Wario Ware...(I could go on...)

Worth a watch for anyone new to the system, or anyone needing reminding of all the great titles available for it.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

I stand by the Jax Must Play Switch Games list

• Monster Hunter Rise
  • Metroid Dread
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • Trials Rising
  • Ori Will of the Wisps
  • Zelda Breath of the Wild
  • Resident Evil Revelations (the Gyro aiming and gesture reloading with split joycon is insanely awesome)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles DE
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses

And, the Jax Top Handheld 3rd Party Games list

• Sniper Elite 4
  • Doom Eternal
  • Dying Light
  • Life Is Strange
  • Crysis Trilogy
  • Cruis'n Blast
  • Borderlands 2
  • Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection
  • Astral Chain
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2

@Ralizah
They probably stocked to the hilt for the holidays. It's such a fantastic system, once you get an OLED it's an eye opening moment. It's so good. Highly recommend.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

It is funny because I know I am seen as the complainer but I think I’d recommend almost every Switch game I have played. I don’t think - other than maybe Nocturne - I have played an objectively bad game on my Switch. There are plenty of games I either got fed up of, or didn’t end up enjoying a whole lot by the end or plenty of games I liked, but just didn’t go absolutely nuts for like others have, but - other than Nocturne - I would still openly recommend those games if my friends asked (games like SMT V, or BOTW or Three Houses etc).

In terms of new purchases I have made, Loop Hero is… okay. There isn’t really a huge amount to it mechanically, but I am sure there is heaps of depth, which makes it kinda great for the Switch as you can turn it on, run through a loop or three and then jump out again fairly painlessly. A great, short burst, handheld experience.

I am also playing Wargroove as I remember it catching my eye before but I didn’t pick it up for reasons i don’t know why. I am enjoying it so far, like a medieval Advance Wars/Fire Emblem game done in like a GBA style (the art style is gorgeous to me). I think probably the coolest thing about it is how much it lets you tweak your experience in terms of difficulty. I wish more games offered stuff like this. Control and State of Decay 2 still remain some of only truly great examples of difficulty agency, with really granular difficulty choices.

rallydefault

Just had the white OLED in my cart at Target but didn't go through with it. I just can't justify 350+ bucks if I've mostly been playing on my TV lately.

And I just can't ignore this nagging feeling that we're gonna see something that's actually more powerful in the next year or two.

It does look slick, though.

rallydefault

Pizzamorg

I honestly still don’t think the OLED model is really all that impressive. I only bought mine because it solved a lot of Christmas problems, IE I get a nice new OLED Switch for Christmas rather than something I probably wouldn’t use and my family get a nice MH Rise special edition Switch (even if that means nothing to them). I will probably give them the OLED Joycons, I understand they did tweak some stuff under the hood, but I would like to hold onto at least the Rise Joycons, since the MH Rise Switch is way cooler than the OLED to me, but I want that OLED screen/new dock. I guess I will just cover the OLED stuff in stickers or something.

Think I am going to buy them Animal Crossing as well, as my Step Mum keeps hinting that is the game she wants.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

I can't go back to the dull gray "blacks" of the LCD model. Sometimes I take my Lite to work still when I'm in a hurry, and every time I just feel disappointment looking at the screen.

The bolder, brighter colors and whiter whites are also a plus, but it's the blacks that make OLED non negotiable for me.

You won't see blacks darker than the screen itself. And LCD doesnt even do that, because it has light bleed from behind lighting up the already gray screen. Whereas OLED shuts off individual pixels with no light bleed, so the difference between the two is actually even more than the comparison below.

Untitled

I guess some people don't care much about that. But as soon as I got mine, immediately I was like yup, there's no going back now. Not if I have this as an alternative. Games look sooo much better. And, the battery life is even longer on average. Many games hit 1 hr extra on full brightness, on top of the already insane v2 battery life. Games like Final Fantasy IX getting 10 hrs on max brightness? It's nuts. And I like my battery life.

The kickstand is also a huge plus. I've always been a big tabletop fan, and have been singing it's praises for years. Having a solid full length kickstand that can swivel to any angle kinda feels like a must for a system like this.

And while it may not be as big a deal as the other aspects, having a full 7" screen really does make games more enjoyable, especially in tabletop mode where you're not holding it directly in front of your face. Text is that much easier to read, too.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think the biggest thing is OLED is most well known for burn-in so you come to the question of whether the screen difference is worth getting burn-in in the future.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pizzamorg

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@JaxonH I think the biggest thing is OLED is most well known for burn-in so you come to the question of whether the screen difference is worth getting burn-in in the future.

Yeah that is a big concern for me too, thankfully, I use a pretty healthy mix between docked and handheld so I am hoping to mitigate a lot of the risk.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Eh. That's a decision each person can make for themselves, but I'm not concerned.

No device lasts forever. And tbh I'd rather have 5 years with an amazing screen than 10 with a mediocre one. But that's just me. Besides which, I don't think it's as big a deal as some believe. I have an OLED TV, an OLED phone, an OLED Vita, an OLED Switch, and I've never had issues.

I have, however, had issues with LCD. The whole reason I bought an OLED TV in the first place was because my LCD TV got a massive dark splotch on the right side after just a few years of use. Thought screw it. No sense trying to make stuff last forever buying second rate. May as well buy the best and let the cards fall how they may.

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

I mean you are very much the exception in that regard, to be fair. Burn in on OLED devices is still very much a real issue, especially with stuff like gaming with stuff constantly on the screen. That is why I avoided all those hyped up LG TVs.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

It's a known risk, but a small one. My rationale isn't "zero risk exists", but rather, "minimal risk exists and those minimal risks don't even remotely offset the massive benefits".

I don't think I'm the exception, because OLED is pretty popular and ppl continue buying it, and even the article linked above in your post says all things considered, they still recommend OLED and don't think most normal ppl will encounter issues, and that it's, quote, "something to be aware of but not concerned". So ya. I'm not worried.

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

And that is fine, but I just don’t agree with your statement. I think the issue is as big as people believe it to be, because it is. (I took the link out, as I am not sure what the rules are here for linking to external sites, if people need to find it they can just google it). I believe Nintendo Life have their own article referencing the article I linked, too.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

Eh, everyone can evaluate risk differently.

But I trust my personal experience with 4 devices, and I trust the fact that it's massively popular and ppl continue buying it. If it were truly a big problem to be concerned with, ppl would encounter issues and stop buying that technology. But that's not what we observe. Instead, the OLED market is growing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/global-oled-market-2021-2026-1...

So ya. Anyone who feels it's too risky should stay away. I would never advocate someone buying something they're uncomfortable with. But it's a huge market growing ever larger- even Apple is getting in on it now, and that doesn't happen if a technology is insufficient with regard to meeting customer expectations.

Basically, I agree 100% with the article you linked. I fully accept everything they said, and that's pretty much my view on it. "Something to be aware of, but not concerned" (provided you dont fall in a high risk category such as someone who binge watches the news every day for years, or someone who plays a single game for thousands of hours- these ppl exist, and they should avoid unless theyre ok with the risk tradeoff). That goes doubly for Switch if you play hybrid, because it means your playtime is being halved versus any other device.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic