Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,701 to 59,720 of 63,660

skywake

Pizzamorg wrote:

I am still not sold on the OLED Switch. There are some crazy images circulating but I am pretty much 99.9% sure that under natural use, the OLED isn't going to look that different to the existing Switch. I know it is only a small price bump in the scheme of things, but it doesn't do enough for me to justify buying a whole new Switch. However, if there is another Switch refresh at the end of next year, which makes some substantial improvements under the hood, while using that OLED screen, I will probably bite.

It's OLED so the images being shown are an accurate representation of the gap between them. It is a pretty substantial upgrade and definitely worth it if you're jumping on board now or are a heavy Switch user. The screen alone makes it a far more worthwhile than the New 3DS was, even with the spec jump the New 3DS offered

But I'm definitely with you on the other bit. I'm not jumping on this, one way or another there'll be a spec jump in the medium term. I didn't get the New 3DS because by the time it seemed like a sensible option Nintendo was talking NX. I'm skipping Switch OLED for the same reason

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Pizzamorg

skywake wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

I am still not sold on the OLED Switch. There are some crazy images circulating but I am pretty much 99.9% sure that under natural use, the OLED isn't going to look that different to the existing Switch. I know it is only a small price bump in the scheme of things, but it doesn't do enough for me to justify buying a whole new Switch. However, if there is another Switch refresh at the end of next year, which makes some substantial improvements under the hood, while using that OLED screen, I will probably bite.

It's OLED so the images being shown are an accurate representation of the gap between them. It is a pretty substantial upgrade and definitely worth it if you're jumping on board now or are a heavy Switch user. The screen alone makes it a far more worthwhile than the New 3DS was, even with the spec jump the New 3DS offered

But I'm definitely with you on the other bit. I'm not jumping on this, one way or another there'll be a spec jump in the medium term. I didn't get the New 3DS because by the time it seemed like a sensible option Nintendo was talking NX. I'm skipping Switch OLED for the same reason

I mean you say that, but the amount of images that show the original Switch being this like grey, washed out, mess while the OLED is this bright, super crisp/sharp screen. Maybe the OLED is that good, but I dunno what they have done to their OG Switch cause I can assure you, mine does not look like that. Like I am the first to talk about Switch limitations, but if you are Switch screen is grey and completely devoid of details, get that ***** repaired.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

BruceCM

I was never 'sold' on the OLED Switch, if only because I have a Lite now, @Pizzamorg .... Before it was announced & people were saying it'd be a significant upgrade in other ways to go with the screen, I was more hoping it wouldn't be, lol I don't understand why they didn't do this for the Lite 1st, since it'd benefit more from it. However, I still wouldn't buy that straight away, I'd wait for good deals & to see what else was coming up

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

Don't forget about the MH Rise Sunbreak stream in 10 minutes.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

It's definitely a substantial upgrade.

The whole reason ppl want better resolution in games is because it improves the image you view. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, and OLED also provides a notable improvement to the image being viewed.

I'm definitely getting one. Not just for the larger OLED screen but also for the kickstand, speakers and slight increase in storage (I'm capped out at 1 TB, so even 32 GB extra can buy me an extra handful of games not archived). For those who never bought the v2 Switch, it also offers nearly double the battery life, which imo is a massive upgrade for anyone who plays portably. Combined with everything else, it's a very compelling upgrade for v1 Switch owners.

But as with anything, it won't be for everyone and there's nothing wrong with sticking with your current Switch. You don't have to have the latest, bleeding edge release of everything. Otherwise you're buying new systems every 2 yrs, and that can get expensive. A new Switch will be out in 2023-2024. For those who want to wait it out, that's fine too.

But for those who do get the OLED, I don't think it's going to disappoint.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Oh right!

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak blowout incoming!

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

It's definitely a substantial upgrade.

The whole reason ppl want better resolution in games is because it improves the image you view. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, and OLED also provides a notable improvement to the image being viewed.

I'm definitely getting one. Not just for the larger OLED screen but also for the kickstand, speakers and slight increase in storage (I'm capped out at 1 TB, so even 32 GB extra can buy me an extra handful of games not archived). For those who never bought the v2 Switch, it also offers nearly double the battery life, which imo is a massive upgrade for anyone who plays portably. Combined with everything else, it's a very compelling upgrade for v1 Switch owners.

But as with anything, it won't be for everyone and there's nothing wrong with sticking with your current Switch. You don't have to have the latest, bleeding edge release of everything. Otherwise you're buying new systems every 2 yrs, and that can get expensive. A new Switch will be out in 2023-2024. For those who want to wait it out, that's fine too.

But for those who do get the OLED, I don't think it's going to disappoint.

There is no difference to the resolution in the new model?

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
???

I'm aware. I never claimed there was, soooo... lol

I made a comparison to illustrate that resolution isn't the only method by which the quality of the viewed image can be improved.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
???

I'm aware. I never claimed there was, soooo... lol

?

What are you talking about here then?

"It's definitely a substantial upgrade.

The whole reason ppl want better resolution in games is because it improves the image you view. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, and OLED also provides a notable improvement to the image being viewed."

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

skywake

Pizzamorg wrote:

I mean you say that, but the amount of images that show the original Switch being this like grey, washed out, mess while the OLED is this bright, super crisp/sharp screen. Maybe the OLED is that good, but I dunno what they have done to their OG Switch cause I can assure you, mine does not look like that. Like I am the first to talk about Switch limitations, but if you are Switch screen is grey and completely devoid of details, get that ***** repaired.

Believe it or not that is the gap between OLED and LCD. The problem is two fold, firstly your brain is pretty good at interpreting the "washed out" look of an LCD panel. In context it knows the darkest bit should be black so that's basically what you perceive. Of course you'll only really notice it's not when you have a point of comparison, like a bezel or a device using an OLED panel

Secondly, you're probably looking at comparisons between OLED and LCD panels on an LCD. So when the LCD panel looks particularly bad it's looking bad as a video of an LCD panel on an LCD panel. The OLED panel in comparison looks about the same as you'd expect an LCD panel to look like... because you're looking at that image on an LCD panel.

If you don't believe there's a gap go to a tech shop and walk through the TV section. Have a look at the OLED panels which are probably showing some super high contrast demo images. Then look at the LCDs which... will probably be showing some sports or something making it a hard comparison. But even with that poor comparison? You should still be able to see how big a gap it is in terms of contrast

Edit: Oh, and @JaxonH is talking about the image being displayed not the resolution. The image is about more than the number of pixels and the level of graphical detail. There's also the peak brightness of the display, the level of contrast, the pixel response time, the refresh/framerate, the colour depth, the colour space, the colour accuracy etc, etc.... OLED panels generally outperform LCD panels on most of these metrics

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I made a comparison to illustrate that resolution is not the only method by which quality of the image can be improved.

The comparison pointed out that, typically people laser focus on resolution. Why? Because it improves the image. And then stated that, guess what? There are other means by which the image can be improved. OLED is one of those means. Color, contrast, luminous intensity, etc, are all factors which can contribute to improved image quality.

I was simply trying to point out that resolution isn't the only aspect that matters.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

skywake wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

I mean you say that, but the amount of images that show the original Switch being this like grey, washed out, mess while the OLED is this bright, super crisp/sharp screen. Maybe the OLED is that good, but I dunno what they have done to their OG Switch cause I can assure you, mine does not look like that. Like I am the first to talk about Switch limitations, but if you are Switch screen is grey and completely devoid of details, get that ***** repaired.

Believe it or not that is the gap between OLED and LCD. The problem is two fold, firstly your brain is pretty good at interpreting the "washed out" look of an LCD panel. In context it knows the darkest bit should be black so that's basically what you perceive. Of course you'll only really notice it's not when you have a point of comparison, like a bezel or a device using an OLED panel

Secondly, you're probably looking at comparisons between OLED and LCD panels on an LCD. So when the LCD panel looks particularly bad it's looking bad as a video of an LCD panel on an LCD panel. The OLED panel in comparison looks about the same as you'd expect an LCD panel to look like... because you're looking at that image on an LCD panel.

If you don't believe there's a gap go to a tech shop and walk through the TV section. Have a look at the OLED panels which are probably showing some super high contrast demo images. Then look at the LCDs which... will probably be showing some sports or something making it a hard comparison. But even with that poor comparison? You should still be able to see how big a gap it is in terms of contrast

I ain't arguing the gap, I am just saying that the LCD screen is perfectly fine as it is. The OLED itself and the very minor adjustments just aren't worth it to me no matter how hard people try and argue the benefits of OLED to me. If it is enough for you, then that is great because then you are who this is for.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

JaxonH

I don't think anyone's trying to forcefully cram the benefits of OLED as being worth it to anyone else but themselves. The benefits and improvements are there. Whether someone personally feels they're worth upgrading for is only a question they can answer.

I know I'm not trying to convince anyone else to buy one. But I am excited for it. It's a very high quality upgrade and I've been ready for a new Switch model for some time.

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

I don't think anyone's trying to forcefully cram the benefits of OLED as being worth it to anyone else but themselves. The benefits and improvements are there. Whether someone personally feels they're worth upgrading for is only a question they can answer.

I know I'm not trying to convince anyone else to buy one. But I am excited for it. It's a very high quality upgrade and I've been ready for a new Switch model for some time.

I was addressing more the deceptive side by sides, where someone uses a completely blown out OG Switch next to an OLED model and then says "INSANE UPGRADE!". And it is like... maybe it is an upgrade, but you're making it look like the existing Switch is completely unusable and that just isn't true.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I don't think that's anyone's intention. The current Switch is most definitely not unusable. I've used mine for 4.5 years and love it.

But the differences are real. The pics aren't intentionally blowing anything out. That's just how current Switch is compared to OLED. The difference is evident in a side by side. But if you're just playing current Switch it'll look fine.

I don't think the message is, "current Switch is garbage, this is a must have upgrade". The message is, "current Switch is fine, but when compared to the OLED the advantages are clear".

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

Yeah maybe, games media and the modern generation of clickbait and rageclickbaiting has made me cynical. Maybe it is completely innocent but I've long since lost my trust. All I see is a lot of grey, washed out, borderline unusable screens displayed for the original Switch and I'm like looking down at my Switch in my hands like... ??? what is wrong with their screen? They should get that serviced.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Link-Hero

@Player_One
I see you're not familiar with Anti's "preferences". Well, all you need to know is he only likes to play games with cutesy graphics and nothing more. Whether the game is good or not doesn't matter in the slightest to him.

Link-Hero

Switch Friend Code: SW-3097-0477-1999 | Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Pizzamorg

Link-Hero wrote:

@Player_One
I see you're not familiar with Anti's "preferences". Well, all you need to know is he only likes to play games with cutesy graphics and nothing more. Whether the game is good or not doesn't matter in the slightest to him.

Is that the person that says R-Rated products are evil? Or is that someone else?

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

JaxonH

@Link-Hero
Whether the game is good or not doesn't matter in the slightest to him

I noticed

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Neon White, TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Sonic Origins, AI Somium Files Nirvana Initiative
STEAM: Monster Hunter World
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic