Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 56,841 to 56,860 of 69,963

Clyde_Radcliffe

rallydefault wrote:

@link3710 It's also not a good look to release the next title in a series on more powerful hardware but with fewer courses/modes/etc. than its predecessor on lesser hardware. Definitely a move that makes you wonder if things were a bit rushed (ha again).

It's the same with Mario Party. Why does Mario Party Superstars have 5 courses when the GameCube one had 7?

Let's be honest, all the Mario games bar the platformers and Mario Kart have been on a downward spiral since the GameCube era.

Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

It's also, by the way, crazy how much content Smash Ultimate gets compared to other Nintendo games. Can we make Sakurai Nintendo president?

Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

Snaplocket wrote:

@Clyde_Radcliffe You are aware almost 95% of the game's content is just ripped from previous games right? It's not entirely made from scratch like Mario Golf Super Rush or Metroid Dread.

I want brand new games coming the next generation. Not ports and rehashes. It's understandable for the Switch because the Wii U didn't do well but if this happens 2 console generations in a row I'll be really upset.

Yes I'm aware but then Mario Party Superstars is a greatest hits too but has only 5 boards!

Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

I understand. I'm actually considering buying PGA Golf instead now 😂 It can be found for half the price or less and kind of looks like it could scratch the relaxing golf game itch that the N64/GameCube Mario Golf scratched. If Camelot are home use bland courses I may as well get the real deal! Plus it seems to have a, better meter system and online.

I know everyone raves about Golf Story but a top down golf game will never be as enjoyable as a 3D one for me!

Edited on by Clyde_Radcliffe

Clyde_Radcliffe

JaxonH

There's always gonna be a group of ppl upset about something or dissatisfied about one thing or another. Can't please everyone.

Wii U games are an exception because so few played them. But you look at 3rd parties and other systems- people buy ports all the time even when everyone did play them, and that's without incentives like hybrid functionality or the first time you can play it as a handheld title. People just love certain games and will buy them to have on their current console, with no other incentives than that. So when you add in hybrid functionality and improvements on top of being on someone's preferred platform, and as games most haven't played at that? Ppl are all over it.

At the end of the day, I just enjoy what I enjoy, and that's all I can do. I love virtually every Wii U game ported, and every other game ported, be it PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, Wii, 360, etc. I wanted Pikmin 3 on Switch, I wanted Xenoblade oh Switch, I wanted Monkey Ball 1, 2 and Deluxe on Switch. Etc etc. I want every game on Switch. I don't think there's a game out there where I'd say, "nah, I'm good, it's a phenomenal game but I'd rather not have the option to play hybrid handheld".

As for Mario Golf- I love golf games, but the only ones I actually prefer to play are Mario Golf and Wii Sports Golf. If it ain't one of those I really have no interest. I've tried other ones and wasn't impressed. Wii Sports Club had just 3 courses and I played that thing for countless hours- more than every other non-Wii Sports non-Mario golf game combined. It's probably my favorite golf game of all time.

But Mario Golf looks pretty great too. I do wish it had a few more courses, but they are adding some via DLC, which should at least bring it closer in line with World Tour. It needs a season pass though. Drop 2 DLC courses and add another 6 via season pass for a total of 14. I'd be all over it.

I just hope the motion swings work well. I really need it to work well. I've heard mixed results. When I get home it's the first thing I'm testing. It would still be enjoyable with buttons- after all, World Tour was buttons only. But having good motion controls will elevate it on par with Wii Sports Club Golf. Or at least close too. Nothing could match twisting the Wiimote to curve and hitting the ball off the gamepad screen.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

I can somewhat understand the sentiment that those really dedicated to the Wii U feel slightly cheated by the fact pretty much all of its best games have now received either Switch ports or even multiplatform ports in the cases of TW101, Fatal Frame and LEGO City, but the Wii U was only owned by like a little over 10 million people worldwide. Most people getting these ports are seeing them as new games to begin with, and it's not like they eat into resources that could be used to develop new titles. I didn't read anything about Skyward Sword HD impacting BotW 2 or the No More Heroes ports affecting NMH 3. Some are even outsourced while the core team works on new projects such as the case with SMT III HD Remaster sharing a development period with SMT V

As for ports of 7th gen or some 8th gen releases, I think it's a case by case thing. Certain titles have fared on Switch a lot better than others and specifically for the diehard Nintendo fans that don't really have a multiplatform setup, again these kinds of ports like Danganronpa or Dark Souls just introduce them to new franchises. Hell even Smash played a role in that in specific cases when you look at the reactions to characters like Joker or Terry Bogard

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Cotillion

I have a Wii U and have gladly repurchased my favourites on Switch. I don't like the Wii U and prefer having those games on a system I actually like. Those great games deserve better than to be left to rot on a system that massively failed.

Cotillion

TheFrenchiestFry

@Shadowthrone Even as someone who never got a Wii U I'd agree

Those exclusives were way too good for the console they were bound to

Except Tokyo Mirage Sessions but that's mostly because I'm still sad that's what SMT x FE got turned into

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
As it’s own thing, it’s fine. I like it. But the way they pitched it, I had much different expectations. I envisioned grid based Fire Emblem gameplay in an apocalyptic Tokyo setting, fighting against demons and with some new, interesting twists. I was expecting Game of the Generation level quality.

But ya. I enjoyed my Wii U because of the games it provided. And for a failed system, it had a pretty killer exclusive library. But the OS was soooooo sluggish. Doing anything on that system took 30 seconds. Booting it. Going to settings. Opening the eShop. You name it. It also relied on the gamepad in a way that made using the pro controller insufficient at times, and then when you wanted to use Wii BC only the Wiimote worked. You were constantly juggling between three different controllers, One of which needed a nunchuck attached half the time… it just wasn’t a smooth experience.

But the games. The games were fire. And to this day, I keep it hooked up for all the Wii and GameCube games that run natively. I’ve tried Wii games on Dolphin and the Wiimote never works correctly like on Wii or Wii U. In fact, I was just playing WarioLand Shake It yesterday. That’s what Wii U is good for now. It’s a VC console, and it offers Wii Sports Club bowling and golf, which can’t be replicated and is one of the best reasons to own one besides the VC (and Xenoblade X, but that’ll get ported for sure).

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

It's always funny looking back at SMT X FE and realizing that I don't care much about either series and thus preferred how the creators went far away from that crossover idea to give us a good anime JRPG instead. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is to me what Mario + Rabbids is to hardcore gamers, essentially. Don't know how these two things combined to become this but uh, thanks!

I always find the talk about how great Wii U's games weird. Yes, the Nintendo console had some real good first party games, as if this somehow made the Wii U distinct.

Also, my very obvious solution to the "Switch getting lots of games I already have on Wii U" was to be a normal person and buy Switch a while after its launch like most people did. First time being a normal person since before Gamecube apparently. :V (the fact I got a PS3 in like 2017 is the opposite type of not normal btw)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I was expecting basically Devil Survivor with both Fire Emblem and SMT characters. In my opinion I think TMS should've been its own IP because outside of some Fire Emblem characters and shared elements, it pretty much has more to do with SMT anyway than the former and doesn't really evoke the vibe of either franchise that well

It's a fine game, I just personally have a pretty strong dislike for it because of how it was teased like it was going to be something else entirely. But maybe Atlus and Nintendo knew about that as well because it seemed like they basically sent that game out to die anyway given how the Wii U was doing back then and then SMT IV Apocalypse came out like a few months later

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
Idk if Wii U’s great games made it “distinct”, but it certainly made it an enjoyable console thanks to those great games, which at the time couldn’t be played anywhere else. I don’t know what’s weird about acknowledging that it had great games when everyone mostly agrees it did.

@TheFrenchiestFry
Well, now that we have Fire Emblem Three Houses and Shin Megami Tensei V, it doesn’t feel like as much of a sting. At the time, neither series had an HD entry so it was carrying a lot of expectations on its shoulder.

Losermagnet

TMS was something I really enjoyed on the Wii U. Then when I played the Switch version I just....didn't care. I didn't beat it in either case, but did get quite far on the Wii U and I think replaying the same sections again broke me. It didn't bother me that it was Jpop themed, but that was probably anothrr thing the Wii U didn't need. I can't imagine the brainstorming session that lead to a series with Permadeath being combined with a series about Demon Fusion, and having that lead to Jpop teenagers improving their self esteem.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

JaxonH

Remember Metroid-Starfox? Who knows what crazy crossover ideas Nintendo has toyed with.

BTW. Gotta speak on this.

Tony Hawk PS 1/2 is freaking legendary on Switch. The original Tony Hawk PS 2 is like the highest rated game of all time I think, at a 98/100? And for good reason. It's a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

And it's perfect on Switch. The remake brings it into the modern era, with contemporary graphics and solid performance, new content and tricks, optional mods, a fantastic Stat based progression with plenty of challenges to complete in each stage. I love it. I love it so much!

Handheld mode looks really impressive, exceeding my expectations. Docked as well. It's just a really high quality port. So glad they brought this to Switch- not every game caters to the Switch audience but this is absolutely one that does- its exactly the kind of game we Nintendo fans love. Exceedingly strong gameplay, highly refined, with an easy pick up and play nature but deep and rewarding for those who practice and develop skill.

And Mario Golf. I love it. I'm really impressed by the quality of the game. Even if you're not into golf, or golf video games, I think it's worth taking a look at. It's highly polished and tons of fun, as you'd expect. I wish it had a demo so ppl could try it.

And Neo: The World Ends With You. Wow. This game is good. For years my brother raved about the original TWEWY, saying it was one of his favorite games on the DS and even of RPGs in general. When it came to Switch I was excited, but the controls just didn't jive well. I figured out how to use them properly which helped, but you could tell it's best played on dual screens.

This new one though... it's high quality. And the music is superb! I've just got the game sitting right now, running on my TV mid conversation, so I can listen to the soundtrack. I'm officially impressed. Demo is live- no reason to not download and check it out. Save data transfers to the full game, too!

And lastly, Monster Hunter Stories 2. I have not yet played the demo. I'm saving it for last since I suspect I won't put it down once I start. But I'll report back once I play this weekend.

imagazelle

@JaxonH How did you feel about the motion controls in Mario Golf? You can't control the spin and curve of the ball like in Wii Sports, huh?

imagazelle

JaxonH

@imagazelle
Not as good as Wii Sports Club, but… they’re not bad they’re incredibly close. The more I use them the better Im getting, and now I’m consistently hitting Birdies whereas I was doing Bogeys and Double Bogeys before. I’m having a ton of fun with them. It makes the game harder, that’s for sure, but that’s what makes it fun. The learning curve is what makes it so good.

And yes, you can put spin on the ball through the curve of the shot like Wii Sports, but it’s harder to do and not as exaggerated.

I’m getting better at it, and learning it’s not just how fast you swing, but how far back your wind up is that determines your power. That’s key. And you’ll see arrows on the swing bar for the direction of spin. Practice shots just like in Wii Sports where you can judge power and spin beforehand. I love it. But it did take a little bit to acclimate.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

WiiU is still one of my favorite systems as I love the gamepad. The Switch improved on everything I hated about the 3ds but is overall to me a little worse than the game pad. That being said I don’t get the feeling of being cheated out of wiiu games.

Those games being on Switch don’t take away from the time I spent on WiIU and games like captain Toad, Mario Maker and DK I prefer to play on WiiU. And that is before the games that are still WiiU only. But nobody buys VC games and goes “darn I feel cheated because I had this on NES” and many of us have rebought games that we still have on original, functional formats. So why is this suddenly different? Ports and remakes aren’t new. I have ports of games that went from nes to snes for cryin’ out loud.

Is it because it was a “failed” system? Did everyone throw out their dreamcasts? Sega CDs? NeoGEO( if you could afford one)? Is a system only fun because the public likes it now?

It’s all about perspective. I’ll say until they come up with a way to make a Switch type system that still has asynchronous viewing support with the tv that the wiiu is the best place to experience any games with maps/inventory (Zelda and XCX especially) as well as DS games and there is still fun to be had on the system even with games that have been ported or gotten sequels. Honestly, I wish every system had so much of a conversion. So many games are locked on the PS2/PS3 systems for instance with no other recourse than owning those systems or a BC PS3. I live in terror of my Ps2 finally kicking the bucket. Same with 3DS.

Still, at the end of the day anyone that enjoyed their WiiU(s) -I have 3 of em- has no reason to be angry at ports. Your money and time wasn’t wasted.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Right.

Entertainment received is not suddenly lost by others now receiving that entertainment on Switch. I got my money’s worth regardless of what comes after. But I am glad Switch is here. It’s the system we’ve been waiting our entire lives for. And the system Nintendo’s been waiting to make for the last 2 decades.

Even if you knew all Wii U games would eventually land on a successor 5 years later, would it have stopped you from enjoying those games at the time? I can’t imagine skipping Metroid Dread because it’s going to inevitably release on the Switch 2 in 2027.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Ha! I’m imagining telling my 12 year old self not to play OoT because the 3ds version is like a decade away. It would be in the paper... “It’s sad what that little girl did to that woman that looks similar to her...just sad” or all those disney vhs tapes I still have...just wait till you are an adult. You can get the bluray!

Not only that most of these ports are cheaper! Oh no Mk8DX is 60. Well I paid 60 for MK8 and then bought the DLC. And they improved the battle mode. Plus you can get these games on sale. And some games get a second chance to reach more people, which is always good.

Edit: my second 1TB is here!!!!! For the honor of grayskull, I can play all my games again!

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic