Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 55,961 to 55,980 of 69,991

JaxonH

2D games aren't as popular as 3D games, but Nintendo is the best in the business when it comes to 2D. One of the key perks of owning Nintendo platforms is gaining access to the few remaining AAA 2D games left. Namely DKC and Mario, but 2D Metroid could fall in that camp as well. They have some B-tier 2D games also, like Kirby and Yoshi (even their B-tier is better than virtually every other 2D platformer out there).

I want to see Nintendo continue to put out those 2D games, because if they stop, we lose the genre. Ya, there's indies and stuff but for full priced top-shelf budget 2D games, Nintendo is the last man standing.

That said, I don't want them to only release 2D games. Yes I want my 2D DKC, yes I want my 2D Mario, yes I want my 2D Metroid, and I'll even take my 2D Kirby and Yoshi (when they nail it, they nail it, like with Wooly World and Planet Robobot). But I also want 3D Mario. I also want a 3D DK. I also want 3D Metroid. I still want the majority of their games to be 3D.

And, they can do both. At least Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori Will of the Wisps came to Switch. Those were some of the best 2D games ever made, and absolutely on par with Nintendo's own offerings.

BTW, I hope we get Sonic 3 + Knuckles. That was my favorite of all the Sonics growing up and they never release those games individually anymore, much less release the combo where Sonic 3 was inserted into S&K.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jump

@Giancarlothomaz not sure what you’re on about with having a stigma about 3D games, they are the norm and standard. Also if you look at Mario the New series has a fairly meh reaction to compared to the more celebrated 3D ones so I’m not sure where you are getting 2D is better than 3D from. This is of course ignoring something as stupid as a 2D game is better than a 3D since quality doesn’t work like that.

I’m neither for or against 2D/3D DK but Ninty went through a phase of having too many 2D platformers, they even turned Pikmin and Chibi Robo into 2D platformers and were laughed at for doing it. They have Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Maker and New Mario etc so Donkey Kong moving to 3D makes space in the already crowded 2D platformers scene and boosts it’s 3D mascot game output which is fairly slim pickings at the moment which all makes sense to me.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

@Giancarlothomaz Lol Donky King 64 was released back in the 90s, it’s gonna blow your mind what video games are like nowadays. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

sixrings

@Slowdive ead made 3d world. I’m sure the DK gang would fit perfectly into a 4 player 3d Dk world.

Edited on by sixrings

sixrings

JaxonH

I hated DK64. I think it’s terrible. While DKC series are my favorite 2D platformers of all time.

So naturally, I’m typically far more excited for a new 2D DKC entry than a 3D one. Tropical Freeze announcement almost made me cry, and I’m not an emotional person.

HOWEVER. We already got Tropical Freeze, so I feel satisfied, and if there’s any team that can do justice for DK in 3D, it would be Nintendo’s internal 3D Mario team.

So it seems the stars have aligned to the extent I’m actually hoping it’s 3D. With that said, you wouldn’t see me complaining if it was 2D. Regardless of what genre it is, that team makes masterpiece games. So I’m not overly concerned with the specifics. Whatever it is, I know it’ll be top shelf.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@Slowdive I got the Switch collector’s edition pre-ordered, I have no idea how well it’ll play but I just love that game so I couldn’t refuse the purchase.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FragRed

@Slowdive Yeah I bought both Sega Ages versions of those games too. Alex Kidd DX is giving me some Dragon’s Trap remake vibes. I’d love to see Alex Kidd in Shinobi World get that treatment. That’s my favourite.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@Slowdive I think timing was a key thing, 3D World (Wii U) came out at a time when 2D platformers were extremely common by Nintendo and the more traditional 3D Mario hadn't been seen for awhile. People got their traditional 3D Mario with Odyssey and then when 3D World came to the Switch it was a lot better received than on Wii U.

There's not really a comparable situation with DK like the main complaints about Tropical Freeze was that it wasn't Metroid Prime 4. Like when VGA 2013 happened Reggie wore the Metroid pin to the event and then the big reveal was Cranky Kong in Tropical Freeze.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

On a different note, I wonder how Capcom will approach revealing the 3.0 update for MH Rise. Given it's releasing at the end of May we know almost for certain it'll go live between May 25th and May 28th (won't go live on a weekend and releasing on May 31st would mean it's June in some regions) but with E3 approaching perhaps the 3.0 update will be all that's detailed with future MH Rise and MH Stories 2 info saved for Nintendo E3 2021 Direct.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jedgamesguy

The Metroid fan base is starving. Like a pride of lions that haven’t eaten in a few days, they’d take any scrap of information, even if it was literally conceived in someone’s sleep.

If we don’t get anything during E3 regarding Metroid Prime 4 I still wouldn’t think it’s cause for concern though.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jump

@TheJGG Starving? Metroid has had two games released in the last 5 years, that’s a lot more than actually popular games series can manage ;p

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

sixrings

@jump I wish those two games just received switch ports. For federation force I’d find it easier to find friends to play with on the switch then the 3ds. I know a lot of people owned the 3ds but no one I knew. As for the Samus returns game. It came out so late on 3ds I wasn’t buying it there thinking it would see a switch port eventually. Maybe I’ll have just missed out. But still starving none the less

sixrings

jump

@sixrings since you didn’t buy the last Metroid game it’s your own fault and yours alone that Nintendo doesn’t treat Metroid as a big franchise if even Metroid fans don’t buy Metroid games ;p

Nicolai wrote:

kkslider5552000

Slowdive wrote:

My biggest critique is that it doesn't capture the essence of the original game; it's too bright, too noisy, and completely butchered the very last part, which I will not spoil here.

I don't disagree, but as a counterpoint, it's still a much more fun video game than Metroid 2. I can say this very confidently as I played Metroid 2 only a year before the remake. Its more unique elements and a few other things keep it above the first game, but its still an obnoxious game in places.

I do think AM2R probably did a better job balancing being a remake and a great game simultaneously though. I've heard some people suggest they're both missing something, but I'd argue that the only way to properly recreate Metroid 2 would be to make a better gameboy looking game with horror elements in the first place.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

Giancarlothomaz wrote:

@jump F-Zero fanbase?

Any context for why you're asking me this?

Nicolai wrote:

sixrings

@jump it’s my fault Nintendo released a new system and then decided to still release games on their old system. That is one way to run a company. Blame the consumer base when you make dumb decisions.

sixrings

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic