Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,841 to 54,860 of 69,962

JaxonH

@Slinkoy1
Sighs...

People really do look to take offense in anything. Anything to make themselves look like a victim to distract from the actual argument at hand.

I never said you didn't have it, I said it takes using it. The two aren't mutually exclusive. And it wasn't said as an insult. But you know that. You're just looking for a way out of responding a rational argument you have no rebuttal to.

Looks like I'm adding another one to the ignore list. I don't have time or patience for this type of petty nonsense anymore.

Invent being insulted to avoid the argument at hand- get blocked. Respond with aggression- get blocked. Harass others for believing something you don't- get blocked. Fail in any way to have a civil discussion without lashing out- get blocked. Underhanded jabs misrepresenting what others say without @ them in the comment, then complain when they respond- get blocked.

I'm done tolerating this crap. Either learn to have a civil, polite, friendly conversation, or get blocked. I’m not gonna waste my time with people looking for a hostile argument anymore. Life is too short to waste it away with people looking for a fight.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Slinkoy1

@JaxonH I’m sorry I misunderstood the common sense thing, I wasn’t even trying to start an argument I just voiced my opinion and you responded. I wasn’t looking for a way out of your argument( if I were a jerk I would say “I found a way to argue your argument”, but I’m not) I’m perfectly fine with being out on your ignore list, just understand I dint mean for my comments to come out mean.

Hi

Ralizah

Don't sleep on Gnosia, y'all. Fantastic game. Just beat it.

This might end up being my favorite Q1 release of 2021. We'll see. I can finally move onto Persona 5 Strikers now!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I saw you were playing it on my notifications earlier. I still haven’t bought it because I saw the price was $25 and I wasn’t sure if I was ready to commit to that yet, but if I like it even half as much as you then it sounds like it’s worth a purchase.

Did it get repetitive doing the scenarios over and over? How many different times did you replay the scenarios up through completion?

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

Gnosia is the latest of recent one off Japanese games that I keep hearing good things about but don't know when I'll get to. There's that, Sakuna, 13 Sentinels, AI: The Somnium Files.

I feel kinda like a hypocrite for not buying any of them yet, since supporting niche Japanese releases might as well have been my personality online during the Wii era.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

Socar wrote:

But you did say that in few years, phones would be stuck with OLEDs

Yes, in a few years it'll be hard to find a new phone that isn't OLED given the benefits of OLED and the continued closing of the cost gap between OLED and LCD at small screen sizes. Hard to argue against this given Apple has already made this move.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Ralizah

@JaxonH Yes and no. There's definitely a pronounced (and deliberate) element of repetitiveness to it. Honestly, it's worst in the beginning, because your stats are low, you don't know any skills, so you're kind of swallowed up by the dynamics of the group.

Once things started changing, though, so did my appreciation of the game. It's extremely cleverly designed. Just on a purely mechanical level, once you keep learning new skills and raising your stats to the thresholds required to use them, the game goes from feeling very RNG-based to more strategic, where you'll have to start considering alliances carefully, planning out betrayals, and generally operating in such a way that you help to influence the direction of the group conversations without sticking out too much. Some characters will have to be approached more carefully than others (for example, there's a part of the game where you'll need to convince the group to put one of the characters, an icy young woman named Yuriko, into cold sleep in order to advance the plot, but using skills to try and sway people against her triggers her own reactive skills that often swing group suspicions back onto you; so, instead of brazenly voicing doubts about her the first chance you get, you have to start by using your support skills to back up criticisms other NPCs make toward her, and slowly start to erode trust in her that way).

Even putting aside elements of chance and RPG elements, though, the characters all have pretty vivid, consistent personalities, and you can actually make accurate deductions based on what you know about them. A kind character, for example, who sticks by his or her friends is extremely likely to defend other Gnosia if he or she is one, whereas more selfish characters, when cast as Gnosia, will happily betray their comrades in a gambit to stay alive and undetected as long as possible.

The real value of playing the loop over and over, though, is what you learn across them: the fascinating worldbuilding, the interesting scenarios that play out as you try different configurations of elements, and, most importantly, the very interesting science-fiction story that binds the experience together. I don't know if you ever played any of the Zero Escape games, but it reminds me of them in terms of the way it cohesively fuses narrative with game mechanics. The player IS the main character, and the way you loop and manipulate the game becomes part of the plot.

There can be long stretches of time where you'll loop over and over without really learning anything new or advancing the plot. Granted, this is never fully a waste, because you'll be able to use exp derived from loops to improve your stats, but it can get annoying if you're invested in the story and then go hours without any significant progress. In that respect, even though I played it over long sessions, I do think it's probably best if the game is played slowly.

I don't know if the repetition is really a flaw of the game. Series like Disgaea and Monster Hunter are also built around loops of repetitive tasks as well. I do think it takes a bit of time to really open up, though, and this will probably be the biggest impediment to the game's mass adoption.

It was made by a team of four people, and I'm just super impressed with how well it came together. The music, art, gameplay, etc. doesn't feel like something out of an indie title. It doesn't make me feel like someone made it in their basement, which even fantastic indies like Stardew Valley and Undertale often do. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, of course (in fact, it's quite niche and thus won't appeal to most people), but it's excellent for what it is and is one of those titles that people will be fingering in years to come when they talk about "hidden gems" on the system.

And for the record, I believe, by the time I reached the true ending, I experienced 161 loops.

@kkslider5552000 Man, I wish 13 Sentinels' Vita version hadn't been canceled. I've played all of Vanillaware's games on that system. I'd happily take a Switch port, though. Their games just feel very 'at home' on handheld systems to me.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Wow, that’s a lot of loops! I’d say, like 25 hrs?

I totally get the comparison using MH, which does rely on repetition of hunting the same monster (though not nearly as much as it used to be in the old games- nowadays you’ll pretty much fight a monster once and move on, only ever repeating a hunt once in a while if you need to make the armor, which can now be done in just a couple hunts). Even so, I totally get it. Repetition isn’t necessarily bad. It’s only bad when it’s boring or no longer fun due to a feeling of monotony. But simply repeating something does not necessarily result in a boring, monotonous experience. It all depends on the game. To use the MH example, no two hunts ever feel alike, which is why I can hunt the same monster for 30 hours in the demo and still not be tired of it.

I did have some apprehensions about this game though since it’s just conversations in a 10 minute loop over and over, but ultimately you sold me on it, and I just bought the game. I also progressed to the point I finished my first loop and voted someone into cold sleep. It was only the first few minutes of the game but I at least wanted to get the ball rolling with a save file so I can hop back in it on either Switch via the cloud cross saves.

Ralizah

@JaxonH 25 hours sounds right. The approximate playtime seems to average between 20 - 30 hours for everyone. I'll know tomorrow, once the ten day time limit on not getting play activity data has lifted, lol.

Nice to hear you made the jump. I started playing it on my big Switch with the intention of going back and forth, but, honestly, after a few loops, I just left it on my Lite. It was originally a Vita game, and it really does look and sound better on a smaller screen.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions once things start changing. At the beginning, loops are extremely quick because of the limited cast, but the game will keep introducing new characters over the first few hours of the game. It'll take a while after that before it lets you deliberately manipulate variables as well.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya, ever since getting the Binbok joycon (the slimmer model that's still super comfy but not so gaping wide so as to not fit in a case or feel like you're holding a 2x4), and after successfully removing the back cover and adding electrical tape to the backs of the buttons (I redid it with 3 layers of higher quality tape for better adhesion and thicker layer, it's SO perfect now, I love these joycon and may buy another pair and do the tape trick as backup just in case they ever stop selling them), I LOVE playing games on my v2 Switch handheld mode now. Especially with my Arctis 1 wireless headset which has a USB-C dongle.

Feels like holding a Pro controller, still has Gyro, rumble, wireless (which BTW, the middle grip is just a rectangular slab so it fits in the case, which means having a proper pro controller on the go also- default grip for official joycon was way to bulky to fit, and this actually feels like a real pro controller when assembled) and with headset audio it's night and day from previous handheld experiences on Vita and 3DS. Especially 3DS. Super tiny, not that comfy, missing buttons, basic audio, etc. But now But? It's like a true console experience as a handheld. But anyways, ya, it plays really well on the Lite. That's actually where I started playing it tonight even despite all that, because it just felt right on the tiny Switch Lite slab.

That's one thing I'm not sure about though- picking the variables. I'm not sure what to choose. Is there an option to just randomly select? Or is there incentive to add more Gnosia to level up quicker or something? Otherwise I'm not really sure what to pick. Analysis paralysis at work.

Edited on by JaxonH

Socar

For the sake of the arguement lets argue about some of the points you've mentioned.

JaxonH wrote:

@Socar
1 Forget WSJ. We’re not talking about WSJ. We’re talking about Takashi Mochizuchi, who has been 100% correct in everything he’s ever said about Switch. You can’t take something some other person said and use it to discredit him. That’s like me saying, well, Joe Blow over there in Utah lied to me, so I guess Socar can’t be trusted.... wait what? What the heck does Joe blow in Utah have to do with Socar? They’re two different people.

What do you mean forget WSJ? The guy whom you so seem to trust actually was there and he claimed that there would be two models for Switch in 2019 which turned out wrong. Even if he was right about the Lite, he claimed that it would be released in summer which it wasn't so he was wrong there as well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-launch-two-new-switc...

So get that fact out of the way that even he isn't 100% credible. And its very likely that he'll be wrong with this claim at bloomberg as well. So then you'll next say that forget what he said two years ago I assume?

JaxonH wrote:

Sounds to me like you’re just ignorant. You hear talk about articles mentioning a new Switch, you don’t do any research into it, and you then assume that because articles mentioned a new Switch, that means one has to be coming in the next 30 days, and if one doesn’t show up in the next 30 days, it means the articles were wrong.

If you're going to call out those who differ from you being ignorant then by that logic, you're being ignorant well as I've already given you a good example of your writer being inaccurate.

But this isn't about being ignorant. This is about being logical. For decades Nintendo has always stuck themselves using LCDs because that is what Nintendo has been using for like since Game and Watch existed. You saying that Nintendo should invest in OLED which has been expensive to manufacture and has defects that are not only permanent but are too expensive to manufacture.

JaxonH wrote:

If you actually take 5 minutes to read these articles you keep referring to, you’d realize that they’ve either been correct, or are pointing to this new model coming in 2021. The very evidence you claim to have against it, is evidence against your own argument. Of course you’d realize this if you actually took 5 minutes to do some research, but you’re completely ill informed about this subject.

Right. You're starting a rumor as fact rather than speculation which is already being dangerous on you cause your writer has been wrong once. WSJ and Bloomberg are inaccurate as I stated already since they kept on blabbering the same claim they made two years ago which means that they don't want their source to be uncredible. This is just how journalism works. makeup facts that seem credible only to end up being not so much credible just like all those Switch pro rumors we've dealt with for the past four years.

JaxonH wrote:

You can sit here and make all these arguments about other screens they could use but the fact is, a contract has been signed for OLED screens. That’s just what it is, whether you can rationally wrap your head around it or not.

And it lines up perfectly with everything they’ve told us. WSJ and Bloomberg told us last year a new model was coming in 2021. Economic Daily News told us Nintendo was looking into new screen technology such as Mini-LED, so we knew they were shopping on the market for a new screen type. Now Bloomberg confirms a contract has been signed for 7” rigid OLED from Samsung, due to over supply cutting costs in half over the last few years. Everything makes sense and lines up perfectly. Nothing contradicts. And now Bloomberg is reiterating that the new model they told us about last year, that WSJ told us about last year, it’s coming, just as they said it would.

Let's assume that I'm wrong entirely and that the newer model is indeed OLED. So how can it be made in plastic? Cause you should know that Nintendo screens are generally made in plastic and that material is known for high level of durability..something that is true given the Switch can survive from 1000 ft.

Having done a bit of research, I've learned that OLED now is being made with plastic to avoid them being shatterproof. But from the ones that I've seen whether it works, none of them lasted more than one drop as they shattered. Their only other option is to opt for flexible OLED screens which are still in development and are more suitable for foldable phones which are far too expensive as of now. Given the technology is beginning, it is very unlikely that Nintendo would invest in this since they would want to incorporate plastic which OLED as far as I know isn't delivering their expectations.

But let's go further and assume that Nintendo would take that risk and do the OLED whether its plastic or not. It comes with price points and Nintendo depending on how they do this would range the newer model either 400-500$ assuming that they bundle it with its own dock, its own controllers and the console itself with the AC adapter.

So what incentive would Nintendo have to do to make people get into their product? And whether or not the price for it is affordable enough that anyone can buy(which isn't true as the Switch itself had to be 300$ for it to be bought by anyone). Adding exclusive games could work but then it comes down to how they can maintain their Switch userbase so at best they'd keep it as low as the N3DS where it becomes incredibly optional.

This would mean that it becomes more obsolete if all it does is just load games faster or somehow makes them perform better just like the N3DS, GBA SP, GB Micro etc. Suddenly out of nowhere, Nintendo will face people complaining about the burn in display and Nintendo would charge repairs for it which are too expensive. Suddenly, sales for the newer model become lower than that of the base Switch.

So to fix that, Nintendo alternatively revamps the newer model with LCD and disbands the OLED. Just like how Sony did with the Vita. This is what I strongly feel will happen and even if it doesn't happen this way, Nintendo would learn from this and just go back to LCD panels in the future.

I can end up being wrong in this and that maybe OLED could be what Nintendo is hoping to achieve. But the LCD technology is just as improving as the OLED so its not all doom and gloom for the former if Nintendo experiences problems with OLED. After all, it has to work with plastic which is still developing and not that many phones work shatterproof.

You can argue all you want but this is my stated opinion and I respectfully disagree with yours since you are giving claims that are not very accurate and that its being unrealistic since its not within Nintendo's level of interest at all..(I mean, they completely ignored adding even 4G on the Switch let alone 5G). And with that, I'm ending this. Any more and I'm just going to read and not respond.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

Didn't we have the same thing a week ago? It's getting unusually heated.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Ralizah

@JaxonH Don't worry too much about it. Just try out different stuff. Some character events only unlock when you're playing as one of the gnosia, for example. Eventually, an "event locator" function will be added that will allow you to roll set-ups that are more likely to yield unique story events.

Also worth a mention, since I initially overlooked it: the "how to play" section in the pause menu actually has an extensive in-game manual that'll help you understand some of the more arcane aspects of the game (like how to advance the story, or the way certain stats work together, etc.)

BTW, those joycons you mentioned: do you need to crack them open to make the buttons feel decent? I wouldn't mind better joycons that I could use wirelessly, but I'm not really comfortable with modding my own hardware.

Edited on by Ralizah

skywake

Socar wrote:

But this isn't about being ignorant. This is about being logical. For decades Nintendo has always stuck themselves using LCDs because that is what Nintendo has been using for like since Game and Watch existed. You saying that Nintendo should invest in OLED which has been expensive to manufacture and has defects that are not only permanent but are too expensive to manufacture

Technology changes. There was a time when optical drives were too expensive for consoles or when having mass storage was something for the PC space. The 360 and PS3 launched HDDs around 40GB, the PS5 and XBox Series have TB of fast NAND.

And yes, the Vita launched with a premium OLED screen and at the time that was pretty high end. In 2021 it isn't. It just isn't. And nothing you say changes that indisputable fact

Socar

skywake wrote:

Technology changes. There was a time when optical drives were too expensive for consoles or when having mass storage was something for the PC space. The 360 and PS3 launched HDDs around 40GB, the PS5 and XBox Series have TB of fast NAND.

And yes, the Vita launched with a premium OLED screen and at the time that was pretty high end. In 2021 it isn't. It just isn't. And nothing you say changes that indisputable fact

Except to wait and see what Nintendo reveals? Have you by any chance heard of Quantum dot displays? You said on one way that you have not said that OLED will take over but here you're saying that OLED is taking over so I'm confused on what you mean here. Switch again, doesn't even support 4-5G let alone 6 and that has been around for decades.

And technically, the statement says gaming console segments so it won't mean that its oled screen for the Switch model at all. Again, I will say this one last time. Sources are not credible and are as of now speculation. Until its official, nothing is certain so I sugest we end this and move on. Doesn't matter who's wrong or right here seeing its about opinions being discussed.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@link3710 While I'm going to watch this from the sidelines and prepare some popcorn, I feel like the only handheld gaming console warranting an OLED screen is Switch at the moment. Unless Sony and Samsung are teaming up to make a super PS Vita 2.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

skywake

Socar wrote:

Have you by any chance heard of Quantum dot displays?

Yes. Look, here's the thing. LCDs by their very nature will always be behind what OLED can do. You're talking about a display technology that has a backlight layer and a filter layer vs a display that's RGB lights. Black on OLED is black, on LCD it's not. As a general rule OLED is a better panel type than LCD, even fairly cheap OLEDs will demolish premium LCDs in things like colour reproduction and contrast.

Socar wrote:

You said on one way that you have not said that OLED will take over but here you're saying that OLED is taking over so I'm confused on what you mean here.

The word you put into my mouth earlier was that I was saying "LCDs are obsolete". They aren't, they have a place in the market. What I said was at smaller screen sizes the cost gap between OLED and LCD is becoming trivially small. If you're a manufacturer? You're going to pick OLED now that the price has dropped to the extent that it has. Which is what Apple has done already. Nintendo would be stupid not to do the same. This is the reality, OLED is likely even without this rumour.

Socar wrote:

Switch again, doesn't even support 4-5G let alone 6 and that has been around for decades.

I have no idea what you mean here

Socar wrote:

And technically, the statement says gaming console segments so it won't mean that its oled screen for the Switch model at all. Again, I will say this one last time. Sources are not credible and are as of now speculation. Until its official, nothing is certain so I sugest we end this and move on. Doesn't matter who's wrong or right here seeing its about opinions being discussed.

I haven't said anything about the rumour, I'm not talking about the rumour. I'm talking about the technology

My point was more along these lines. In 2007 Sony released the first commercially available OLED screen. 11", 540p, $2500US ($3200US adjusted for inflation). For that price today you could by a 65" 4K OLED and enough left over for an iPhone which happens to have a 6.5" full HD OLED panel. OLED is increasingly not a premium screentype. This is true regardless of how much you dislike the current Switch Pro rumours.

I'll also add that in terms of predicting what Nintendo will do next hardware wise and what rumours are and aren't likely? I tend to think that I'm on the money more than most. And on that note I believe I was saying OLED for a Switch revision/successor before the Switch was even announced. I was also saying that the Wii U would use discs but the console after the Wii U would use cartridges back when the Wii U was still Project Cafe. So you know, I'm probably not the voice on this forum you want to be dismissing entirely when it comes to hardware predictions

Lets just agree that you're letting your emotions get in the way of your grasp of exponential curves and I'm just some kind of cold, analytical psycho who likes tech and occasionally lurks on toy fan forums

Edited on by skywake

jump

@TheJGG I'm pretty sure Sony have said they aren't planning on a successor to the Vita when they stopped making new Vitas.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jedgamesguy

Switch it is then @jump. I’m not keen on a Switch revision myself but as long as Nintendo solves what for me is the only tiny problem with the Switch, power, they’ve made their perfect console.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic