Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,861 to 54,880 of 69,962

gcunit

jump wrote:

@TheJGG I'm pretty sure Sony have said they aren't planning on a successor to the Vita when they stopped making new Vitas.

Saying you've no plans in 2018 does not mean you have no plans 2021.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

link3710

@TheJGG Yeah, I think combining Samsung's official statement with WSJ claiming they have sources saying Nintendo's buying isnt exactly a giant leap lol.

Anyways, I'm convinced we'll see OLEDs from Nintendo in the next few years (probably less) now at least.

It could always end up being a 3DS situation where it's totally random which screen type you get though, and they just ship both OLED and LCD interchangeably... I definitely hope not. It'd be incredibly stupid but not entirely out of character for Nintendo as a company. Fuwaka probably wouldn't allow that though.

link3710

jedgamesguy

@link3710 Yeah, Furukawa’s not an idiot, he knows Nintendo’s gotta act. I’m excited to see what the idiots complaining about the Switch’s poor graphics say when you get to play Breath of the Wild in 4K.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

jump

@gcunit It doesn't but they stopped making Vitas in 2019 (actually thinking about it the Vita lasted a long while) so since they let their portable audience lapse with no new console it's safe to assume if Sony are to produce a new portable console it will be longer than a couple years due to how long development takes as a minimum let alone a change of attitude towards the format. I will happy to eat crow if they do release a new portable console this year though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Grumblevolcano

I don't think Sony would've pushed aside Japan in recent times if they were doing a Vita successor. The sole purpose of a Vita successor would to reclaim market share in Japan from Nintendo and all Sony's recent actions suggests they've accepted that they've lost Japan to Nintendo and are focusing on the US instead.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

Sony largely abandoned the Vita a few years after it came out. They're done with portable consoles. Nintendo has that entire market to itself.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

link3710

So we may not see at til next year at the earliest (though considering there's supposed to be multiple NLG teams making games now it could be this year even), but anyone have any theories on Next Level Games... Next game? We do know there's the bizarre wolf poster in Luigi's Mansion 3 that may have hinted at either an upcoming or cancelled title.

I do think it's safe to assume they didn't have another Luigi's Mansion in development in parallel with 3, but they have a tendency to rarely stick with any one IP anyways.

link3710

Magician

@link3710

NLG could do something relatively quick by just porting their Wii version of Punch-Out to Switch.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

link3710

@Magician Could they? The political climate lately hasn't been great for that sort of game. And that aside, I'd expect them to farm any ports out to another company unless it was some sort of training project (a la XC:DE or Wind Waker HD)

link3710

Magician

@link3710

If a Switch port of Wii Punch-Out is too...insensitive, I imagine NLG would instead have been assigned to support MP4 development to help expedite its release.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

gcunit

Ralizah wrote:

Sony largely abandoned the Vita a few years after it came out. They're done with portable consoles. Nintendo has that entire market to itself.

Why did Sony get into portables in the first place?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jump

@Magician That would feel like a bad omen what with their work on Federation Force.

I'd love to see Next Level's canned Mario wrestling game get revived, it sounded great!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Magician

@gcunit

I love my Sony handhelds, but Sony released the PSP and the PS Vita when they were a Japanese company. Now they're based in Murica and are focusing their products on western gaming sensibilities. They don't care about portable-centric gaming that dominates Japan these days. 8k gaming and PSVR 2 are their focus, for better or worse.

sixrings

@link3710 every year or so we get a new release of street fighter two. Other than the rising sun image taken out the game continues to sell. I don’t know why punch out would be any different. Doesn’t Disney put a disclaimer on their old films on the Disney channel. Surely punch out isn’t destined to die because of the lefties. And damn it I vote left.

sixrings

Giancarlothomaz

@TheJGG well Sony is watching that Nintendo is making a lot of money with Switch, knowing Ps Vita flaws, maybe Sony will try to steal Nintendo thunder, Sony is taking quite a beating with Switch, they don't want to lose dominance in the USA and japan sales charts,@Gcnuit Sony did two Handheld console, one during the DS era(PSP) and another during the 3DS/Wii U era(PS Vita) and Sony did this because they realized the Handheld console market is very lucrative, so they tried to compete with Nintendo, PSP was a sucess with 80 milions consoles sold, sadly PS Vita despite some excelent games, was abandoned by Sony and third party to focus on PS4.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

link3710

@sixrings To be fair, there's people pushing for censorship on both sides of the political line lol. Both of which should be taken with more than a grain of salt.

But Street Fighter isn't anywhere near as reliant on stereotypes as the original punch out was either so...

In any case, @Magician while they might assist on MP4 (and art style and poor release timing aside, there's certainly stuff in that game that could help expand Metroids world), interviews suggested they were working to have multiple games in the pipeline as part of the buyout, so I doubt theyd be fully dedicated to that if it was the case.

link3710

sixrings

@link3710 maybe but they didn’t mind releasing it on the Nvidia shield in China. And the nes game is available on NSO while the arcade version is on Hamster ACA. So perhaps it isn’t as big a issue as some might think.

sixrings

urrutiap

Just curious as to what other people here are using their Switches/Switch Lites as. Besides having physical games what stuff from the eshop?

Me, ive been getting half of the Resident Evil games and a few RPG stuff like Trails of Cold Steel 1, Vesperia and Ys Origin. So pretty much my Switch Lite is a portable Resident Evil and RPG house

urrutiap

Magician

@urrutiap

In my eyes, the Switch is the ultimate port / indie / first party machine. I want all my favorite games from years past (from Atari 2600 to PS4) to be available on Switch. If a game is multiplatform, I look towards purchasing the Switch version regardless of it being the worst version of that game performance wise. Portability is king with me. Whether that's playing in tabletop mode on break at work, using my fight stick while in tv mode at home, or in handheld mode while laying in bed.

Genre wise, I try to dabble in everything.

Although genres like survival, sim racing, and competitive multiplayer aren't my cup of tea.

TheFrenchiestFry

@urrutiap My Switch is mostly a Nintendo-first party and indie machine with some classic games like the PS1/PS2 FF games

I'm generally adverse towards buying current gen games on Switch because I have so many other options and the portability isn't enough to sway me if a game just looks considerably worse on the Switch next to PC or PS4/5 (e.g. Wolfenstein II)

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic