Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,821 to 54,840 of 69,962

JaxonH

We’re almost into single digits!

Monster Hunter Rise Countdown Timer

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Socar

@JaxonH Whether this is pro or not doesn't matter to me and whether the guy who confirmed that the V2 had Mariko doesn't matter either since its not always accurate news. The point is that you're stating facts which are still speculation unless the big N spits it out.

@Vargbrand Right...have been wrong for four years the Switch has been released and those terrible rumors that keep spreading over and over again with no proof. Also, LCDs aren't really that outdated either.

@skywake First of all, no there are still a ton of phones that have LCDs. Heck, even Apple still has lots of their products that are LCD until the iPhone 12 pro..i think. Samsung is the leading market over the phone business so of course they'd have OLED. But there are only a handful of phone brands that can do OLED and can manufacture phones with OLED because of them being..well big. Xaomi sill uses LCD screens and same for Apple.

The technology for LCD is just improving on the same level as OLED. Even if Nintendo were to somehow follow Sony's attempt with the Vita, the OLED model would most likely not do well and Nintendo would replace it with the LCD model instead. If you just observe the color of an IPS LCD and that of OLED, there is little difference which means that there is nothing wrong if Nintendo sticks with LCDs for as long as they can.

But look, time will only tell whether Nintendo actually does it or not because this is just another one of the rumors that even when reported are still not official. I'm fine if Nintendo brings up OLED but it's being unrealistic especially since LCD has been something Nintendo has been using for years even when OLED started getting better. So until LCDs stop getting better, there is little reason or motive for Nintendo going to the "powerful" route.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

skywake

Socar wrote:

@skywake First of all, no there are still a ton of phones that have LCDs. Heck, even Apple still has lots of their products that are LCD until the iPhone 12 pro..i think.

The iPhone X was the first generation that had OLED but they skipped it for the cheapest SKUs. The same for the 11 series. The entire iPhone 12 lineup is OLED. As I said, most phones that aren't budget phones or old stock are OLED these days. It used to be a premium feature, it's not anymore. In a couple of years it'll be pretty much entirely OLED in the Phone market

Socar wrote:

If you just observe the color of an IPS LCD and that of OLED, there is little difference which means that there is nothing wrong if Nintendo sticks with LCDs for as long as they can

This is BS. Period.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

I think Nintendo's stuck with only NES and SNES because of NSO's price. If/When Nintendo adds another console it'll probably come with either a price hike or a premium tier. So like a few possible outcomes:

1. Nintendo becomes inspired by Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold price hike announcement in January (which got reverted) and NSO price increases to $60 a year. Comes with NES, SNES, GBA and gives you access to the ability to buy N64 to Wii games and localizations like the FE1 one VC style (excludes $60 remasters for 1 game like XCDE and Skyward Sword HD). 3D All Stars and FE1 localization becomes exclusive to this.

2. N64 to Wii games VC style ends up being in a separate premium NSO tier. If you only care about existing NSO features then you buy the base NSO tier subscription.

3. Nintendo announces their answer to Game Pass and this ends up helping more niche franchises like Metroid.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano The problem with these consoles is that there’s only a small number of games they can add to the libraries thanks in part due to publishers seeing value to selling them separately. I think people keep expecting way too much then become disappointed when games no ones ever heard of get added. Also I’m kinda wondering if there’ll be any more added since it’s been way over a year since SNES was launched and there’s been nothing leaked from data miners suggesting new systems are on the horizon.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Socar

skywake wrote:

Socar wrote:

@skywake First of all, no there are still a ton of phones that have LCDs. Heck, even Apple still has lots of their products that are LCD until the iPhone 12 pro..i think.

The iPhone X was the first generation that had OLED but they skipped it for the cheapest SKUs. The same for the 11 series. The entire iPhone 12 lineup is OLED. As I said, most phones that aren't budget phones or old stock are OLED these days. It used to be a premium feature, it's not anymore. In a couple of years it'll be pretty much entirely OLED in the Phone market

That doesn't mean that LCD remains obsolete however way you want to slice it. Xaomi uses LCD, and many many other brands use IPS displays especially monitors. Just recently we have phones like the Poco X2, Realme 6 Pro and many many others.

I don't want to waste time arguing about this because unless Nintendo officially states it, its just speculation as far as it can go.

And yes the IPS LCD screens are nearly on par with that of OLED especially the fact that you get sharper pictures which means getting higher resolutions in smaller devices like that of the Switch.

rallydefault

Wavey84 wrote:

@rallydefault
Didn't mean mini, like literally, but yeah you're probably right. Aside from keeping the OG 1989 design, they would probably just add a USB port, Back light, better screen and a few options to keep everybody satisfied including both monochrome pea soup + Ghosting or Black&White to mimick the GameBoy Pocket and possibly Suepr GameBoy color.

Can't See a future GBA mini being that much of a success though in comparison. Even if they randomly announced a GB Mini tomorrow, it would take months and months until release and years later for nintendo to finally feel comfortable releasing a Switch GB Online service when mini production stops and sales have complete slowed down or nearly died off.

Yea that's exactly what I think, but I do think it would be hugely popular, even if only in initial sales. Nostalgia has been "in" for the last few years, and a GameBoy console would be in a league of its own compared to the other retro mini consoles that have been released. The GameBoy is, obviously, portable by its very nature and can be thrown into bags and purses and pockets (certain models) right alongside smart phones.

Honestly, and this is dreaming too big I realize, I could see it almost getting a new life alongside the Switch and Switch2. Nintendo's always been awesome at handheld gaming, and I would wager a lot of the indie stuff we're seeing these days could be made to run on a rejiggered GameBoy console. Stardew Valley in your pocket? That would be so cool. Certain modern games could totally be made to work on it alongside the massive retro catalog. Nintendo could even do some new games for it or re-configure some DS/3DS games to it to not require the second screen. The NSMB games, for instance.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

@Socar
I never said LCD was obsolete, I recently spent $500AU on a 27" 1440p IPS monitor, you don't need to lecture me on how good LCDs can be. What I said was OLED panels have become cheaper to the point they are viable options for non-premium products. Particularly in smaller screen sizes. There's no argument to be had, you're just objectively wrong on that point.

Also this insistence by you that OLED and LCD are "on par" technologies is BS. Sure LCDs can have a higher peak brightness and OLED does have (although not as significant these days) burn in issues. But other than those two things OLED wins every day. They have deeper blacks which means higher contrast and better colour reproduction. They're also more power efficient which kinda matters for mobile devices.

No question about it, if Nintendo is revising the Switch OLED is going to be on the cards. It's the easiest prediction to make tech trends wise outside of maybe more internal storage. It just also happens to be rumoured from super reliable sources.

You'd have to be pretty delusional to think OLED was off the table

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Socar

skywake wrote:

@Socar
I never said LCD was obsolete, I recently spent $500AU on a 27" 1440p IPS monitor, you don't need to lecture me on how good LCDs can be. What I said was OLED panels have become cheaper to the point they are viable options for non-premium products. Particularly in smaller screen sizes. There's no argument to be had, you're just objectively wrong on that point.

But you did say that in few years, phones would be stuck with OLEDs which isn't correct since LCDs have quantum dot displays which are advanced and better alternatives of OLED. Maybe it won't work much on phones but for gaming handhelds, its a better choice than having to deal with OLED.

skywake wrote:

Also this insistence by you that OLED and LCD are "on par" technologies is BS. Sure LCDs can have a higher peak brightness and OLED does have (although not as significant these days) burn in issues. But other than those two things OLED wins every day. They have deeper blacks which means higher contrast and better colour reproduction. They're also more power efficient which kinda matters for mobile devices.

Compare OLED with quantum dot displays and the difference isn't much. I'd rather Nintendo improve the next level of LCD's and use QLED over OLED since it meets both their budget and for me cause I don't have to deal with burn in screens.

skywake wrote:

No question about it, if Nintendo is revising the Switch OLED is going to be on the cards. It's the easiest prediction to make tech trends wise outside of maybe more internal storage. It just also happens to be rumoured from super reliable sources.

You'd have to be pretty delusional to think OLED was off the table

You mean sources like WSJ that have stated for years that a new Switch model is coming but never has for the past four years? You mean the statement from Bloomberg that they said last year and are reconfirming it again this year? Get real, its all specualtion unless its official.

All you and others can say that the report is confirmed but Nintendo can and at any point decide to revert the idea and do things differently. OLED may be a smart idea but it doesn't fix Nintendo's problems with stability and longetivity which LCD panels are more effective for them. At best..even if the new model ends up being OLED, its unlikely it will sell as well as the base and for Nintendo to recoup the losses of the OLED model, they revise it to LCD just like the PS Vita.

You have to be pretty delusional if you think Nintendo should consider OLED and risk consumers complaining about burn in displays because of the pro taking more heat than phones and that its being overused.

JaxonH

@Socar
1 Forget WSJ. We’re not talking about WSJ. We’re talking about Takashi Mochizuchi, who has been 100% correct in everything he’s ever said about Switch. You can’t take something some other person said and use it to discredit him. That’s like me saying, well, Joe Blow over there in Utah lied to me, so I guess Socar can’t be trusted.... wait what? What the heck does Joe blow in Utah have to do with Socar? They’re two different people.

2 Bloomberg accurately reported last year about this. This is just further details about the same model they told us about last year, when they specifically said, a new model is coming in 2021

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/nintendo-p...

3 WSJ, for the record, hasn’t been wrong either. I have no idea what you’re talking about.

There’s this article. Which was 100% correct and simply reporting what Mochizuchi said about the Lite and v2

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-sw...

And there’s this article which also correctly states a new model is coming in 2021

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-launch-two-new-switc...

Sounds to me like you’re just ignorant. You hear talk about articles mentioning a new Switch, you don’t do any research into it, and you then assume that because articles mentioned a new Switch, that means one has to be coming in the next 30 days, and if one doesn’t show up in the next 30 days, it means the articles were wrong.

If you actually take 5 minutes to read these articles you keep referring to, you’d realize that they’ve either been correct, or are pointing to this new model coming in 2021. The very evidence you claim to have against it, is evidence against your own argument. Of course you’d realize this if you actually took 5 minutes to do some research, but you’re completely ill informed about this subject.

You can sit here and make all these arguments about other screens they could use but the fact is, a contract has been signed for OLED screens. That’s just what it is, whether you can rationally wrap your head around it or not.

And it lines up perfectly with everything they’ve told us. WSJ and Bloomberg told us last year a new model was coming in 2021. Economic Daily News told us Nintendo was looking into new screen technology such as Mini-LED, so we knew they were shopping on the market for a new screen type. Now Bloomberg confirms a contract has been signed for 7” rigid OLED from Samsung, due to over supply cutting costs in half over the last few years. Everything makes sense and lines up perfectly. Nothing contradicts. And now Bloomberg is reiterating that the new model they told us about last year, that WSJ told us about last year, it’s coming, just as they said it would.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

@JaxonH

I think Socar is goading you into an argument just for the hell of it. I'd add him to your ignore list and just move on. Just reading his posts of denial raises by blood pressure. "You can only lead a horse to water."

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Magician
True enough. Consider it done.

rallydefault

@Magician @JaxonH
You guys are incredibly quick to just write people off if their opinions differ from yours. Yea, he's sprinkled a few charged words in here and there, but he does back up what he's saying with some examples.

You're gonna turn this place even more into a pretty one-sided echo chamber.

And you could just ask him to calm down the rhetoric and see if he wants to continue the discussion. @JaxonH is doing his usual thing where he demeans them ("ignorant," "can you wrap your head around?" etc.) and then claims moral high ground. This place is never gonna grow if you guys keep doing this to people.

rallydefault

Slinkoy1

@rallydefault shhhhh, you can’t say anything like that out loud, they may just respond to you, I know, very bad. Aside from that, “switch pro” is gettin real out of hand, you either have the “ I don’t think it’s real”, or the “oh my god it’s real cause this one guy who said switch lite was coming says it’s coming!!! If you doubt believe it I’ll force it onto you!” It’s gotten even worse then the smash leaks (looking at you “Grinch” leak and every other supposed “leak” to date) I don’t know why we all can’t just be quit about it, and wait to see if it EVEN gets announced not when, IF or EVEN. End of my rant.

Hi

Slinkoy1

@Giancarlothomaz you sure do put a lot of videos on here. Not being mean, just find your determination for putting stuff on here pretty great

Hi

Magician

@rallydefault

I've no qualms about healthy disagreements. JaxonH and I ourselves have butted heads from time to time. But when someone just denies the mounting evidence that Nintendo is set move on from the LCD display as Socar has been expressing, it gets sickening to watch. All the leaks suggest Nintendo is moving to a cheaper, more energy efficient rigid OLED.

Nintendo makes a bigger profit margin per console sold and customers get a bump in contrast and battery efficiency. It's a win-win.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

If you haven’t seen the latest Monster Hunter Rise trailer, you really should check it out. What a fantastic looking game.

@Slinkoy1
Nobody I’ve seen has been “forcing” anything onto anyone. The only thing that I have seen happen is people denying the report from Bloomberg from Mochizuki who told us all about Switch Lite and Mariko. Denying that a business deal has taken place for OLED screens.

Which, whether a person wants to believe a new switch is coming or not, I don’t think anybody particularly cares. The problem is when certain individuals start arguing with anyone who believes it is to tell them how wrong they are, sticking their head in the sand like an ostrich as if Mochizuki is just “some guy”. He’s not just “some guy”. He’s a mainstream media reporter with contacts in manufacturing, he’s proven to have reliable contacts as he told us about Switch Lite and Mariko long before release, and he’s now telling us he has confirmed a deal has been struck. People can believe it or not believe it- that’s up to them, but there’s no need to start arguments with anyone who has the common sense to understand this is happening to attempt to convince them it’s not.

Can’t speak to the “grinch leak” or anything else. I wasn’t a part of that. There’s fake leaks every single day that don’t pan out, and just because everybody believes something, that doesn’t make it more credible. What makes it more credible is the quality of the source the information is coming from. The grinch leak, as far as I remember, never came from a trusted source. People just chose to believe it anyways. That’s on them. But you can’t treat every single piece of insider information as if it all comes from the same source. I think that’s the #1 problem people make because they just don’t follow this stuff. They hear “leaks” and, in their minds, they just associate all of them as coming from the same Santa Claus Leak Fairy, and because some leaks are obviously wrong, that means the Santa Claus Leak Fairy is not reliable, and therefore, no inside information can ever be trusted, regardless of who the person is, even if it’s a proven, credible mainstream media investigative journalist telling us his contacts in manufacturing can confirm the deal has happened. It’s like people only have two modes- completely gullible or believe nothing (which ironically, believing nothing is just gullibly believing no source can never be trusted). I think people ignorantly buy into fake leaks because they don’t do their own research and don’t understand the source isn’t proven or credible, get burned, then respond by accusing everything of being fake so they don’t have to deal with being duped again. There is a better, more reasonable middle ground approach, but it requires effort (and a little common sense) looking into the source to see if it’s legitimate first, then assigning a probability, or likelihood of occurrence, based on the quality and credibility of that particular source.

But if someone still chooses to just deny everything, believe nothing, no matter how credible the information is, hey... they’re free to do so. Nobody is “forcing” them to believe anything. Nobody is starting arguments with them to tell them how wrong they are. We can co-exist peaceably. Just don’t harass people who do trust the source as if it’s your life’s mission to convince them otherwise.

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

@Magician
I really have no dog in this whole OLED/LC thing going on. I'm just saying that encouraging quick adds to your ignore lists is soon gonna find you in a very cramped range of opinions.

My further point was that @JaxonH gets away with a lot around here and we all know it. I'd wager he's chased away more than a handful of people; if you disagree with him, you get about one "good graces" post and then he's right on to calling you ignorant while simultaneously claiming he never insults anyone. It's not a fun situation for those of us who have been around for awhile, much less someone who just joined (though Socar's account seems old but I don't think they post much). There are so many times when it's just not even worth engaging with one of his posts because you never know what awful thing he is going to call you next. That's a horrible thing to think for such an otherwise-cool community.

I just want to see this place grow and encourage new people to speak back and forth without being instantly added to ignore lists or accused of just trying to start fights. Sometimes people disagree with you and just having a different way of typing that you may be interpreting wrongly. Who knows?

This place has been awesome to come to for Nintendo news for so many years, but some of the other old timers probably agree with me that things have devolved over the last year or so into pretty much the same people saying the same things. Discussion was much more varied and lively and included way more people when one or two posters weren't allowed to just trash people and get away with rhetorical murder. (Anybody else remember AlexSays? lol)

To each their own. Do what you wanna do, but I'd love to hear from a wider range of voices.

rallydefault

Slinkoy1

@JaxonH so now I don’t have common sense cause I don’t believe a rumor on the internet? And let me guess, you’re going to say “that’s not what I said” and edit your original comment, or you will say “Oh my god, it’s not a rumor, it’s facts cause the insider said so 😫!!!!” I wasn’t even responding to you, you CHOSE to respond to me, just to tell me I have no common sense. And why did you put don’t harass people? What did I do, make fun of the guy saying switch pro is coming, cause I don’t believe him?

Edited on by Slinkoy1

Hi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic