Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,761 to 53,780 of 69,991

teo_o

I have a question for anyone that crunches nintendo's sales charts. Does the switch have a case for higher attachment rate of first party titles compared to past consoles?
In other words, how much first party sales have been helped by the console, beyond some of them being unmissable masterpieces? Quality aside.
In the past year we've seen pikmin 3 becoming the best in the series sales wise, and paper mario becoming the fastest selling in the series, and i'm wondering if we have some sort of multiplier by now. has a correlation being established?

teo_o

Giancarlothomaz

@teo_o Switch have a attrach rate for softwares far more impressive compared to previous Nintendo consoles( all Nintendo first party and most third party/indies have sold more on Switch then if was sold on a Wii/DS for example), look at Animal Crossing New Horizons impressive sales results and compare it to Animal Crossing New Leaf, it managed to sell 31 milions units just in one year when Animal Crossing New Leaf took 5 years to sell 12.04 milions units sold.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

teo_o

@Giancarlothomaz of course focusing on one platform has to make some impact.
Take AC Wild World (2005 DS, 11.7 millions) and AC City Folk (2008 Wii, 4.3 millions), they sold combined 16 million and some, and you were able to transfer your character, but the social features were somewhat weak compared to nowadays (one could argue new horizons is also pretty weak...)
Then we got new leaf on 3DS but no WiiU title, so it managed to sale "just" 12.8 million copies. Of course COVID played a part on New Horizons, so speaking aside the pandemic I was wondering if we can determine the "switch factor" that could influence Nintendo on resurrecting or porting certain franchises

Edited on by teo_o

teo_o

Ralizah

Random rant.

I hate the way Nintendo revamped preorders on the eshop. I used to be able to preorder and preload big upcoming games. The money would go out of my account right away, and the game would be on my system. Problem solved. Now preorders are pretty much reserved until a seven-day period before the game comes out, which is annoying. Combine that with the eshop's $200 limit, and it gets particularly annoying. I've been sitting on a $70 eshop code for the better part of a month now because I hit that limit and Nintendo won't let me prepay for games I know I'm going to want ahead of time.

Also don't like discounts that expire on launch day. I was thinking about getting Cyber Shadow, but wanted to wait for sufficient footage and impressions from reviewers/players before buying in. Well, by the time I thought "I can get into this!", the discount had expired. I'm certainly not going to pay $5 extra because I waited a day too late, so now I've been waiting for the game to go on sale. But even if it goes on sale, as a matter of principle, I'm going to wait for a steeper discount, because I'm not going to wait months to pay the same price for a game as I could have bought it for before launch. So now they've lost me until the game gets a 50% discount, and at that point, I'll likely be playing other games anyway.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah yea I had the same issue with the pre-load thing not long ago. I had a good amount In eshop credit that i wanted to allocate to MH but since it doesn't actually take the money or DL, I went and used it elsewhere. Its not like I'll be able hang onto that credit for 3 months so it's a silly new way of doing things.

As for the pre-order discount, sometimes you just gotta take that gamble unfortunately. I did and it's been pretty sweet. I think you'd like it. Sometimed though I get a little gunshy when devs discount a game before it launches as they could try to grab people on price when the game isn't all that great. Thankfully, cyber shadow is loads of fun.

NintendoByNature

dionysos283

Not sure how it was in other regions, but here in Europe I had no problem waiting for some reviews and still taking advantage of the discount.

dionysos283

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah The irony about the preorder problem people are having...

Is because governments found the old way to be illegal so Nintendo made it what people said they should do.

And now it's a problem there too.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature I expect I'll probably enjoy it if I ever get around to it. But, at the end of the day, they're the ones who lose with the pre-order pricing shenanigans. Without the preorder discount, I might have purchased it at full price. Now I'm out until it's at least 50% off.

I'm having the same issue with Gal Gun Returns. If I decide to wait until launch to get a sense of how it holds up on Switch and the discount expires, then I'm out until it hits $30 or less in a sale.

First world problems

@Haruki_NLI I wonder, would it still be illegal in Europe or wherever they were running into legal issues if they offered people refunds in the form of eshop credit or something? Because the current system is just sort of useless.

Grumblevolcano

Mario 64 is more wonky then I remembered it to be, decided to finish off 3D All Stars (first did 100% Sunshine then 100% Galaxy, after 100% Galaxy I figured I may as well play 64 while I wait for 3D World). Died quite a few times doing the Caged Island star in Whomp's Fortress and some deaths from Mario just running around a circle despite moving the left control stick in a specific direction.

I don't know how much was changed in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy version of Spyro 1 but I'm leaning towards Spyro 1 being the best 90s 3D platformer. Best 3D platformer when looking at all 3D platformers is still Sunshine or 3D World.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I too preferred the old way.

Unfortunately, too many people were complaining, "Nintendo is anti consumer, they should let you cancel pre-orders!" And so they changed their policy.

Which, I'd rather pay up front and preload right away- I don't need refunds. I only buy what I know I want. But... the anti-consumer accusations won out, and now this is what we're stuck with.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BruceCM

Dunno how it works elsewhere but with Game, if you use your card to pre-order a game, they only take the money a few days before it's due out ..... But you can put the money into your 'wallet' & use that to pay for it, instead

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Buizel

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Mario 64 is more wonky then I remembered it to be, decided to finish off 3D All Stars (first did 100% Sunshine then 100% Galaxy, after 100% Galaxy I figured I may as well play 64 while I wait for 3D World). Died quite a few times doing the Caged Island star in Whomp's Fortress and some deaths from Mario just running around a circle despite moving the left control stick in a specific direction.

I don't know how much was changed in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy version of Spyro 1 but I'm leaning towards Spyro 1 being the best 90s 3D platformer. Best 3D platformer when looking at all 3D platformers is still Sunshine or 3D World.

Honestly, I think of all 3D platformers of that generation, the Spyro trilogy has aged the best (it does help that they came a bit later in the generation!). The reignited trilogy didn't do much more than update the graphics and refine the controls a bit - the originals are still perfectly enjoyable today.

Not sure I agree about the latter statement though (I personally think both games are far surpassed by Galaxy and Odyssey).

At least 2'8".

Ralizah

Oh, good. I don't care about how the online runs, but maybe people will stop crying so much about it now (fat chance).

@Grumblevolcano Other than having a beautiful HD version of Galaxy that works well in portable mode (I completed my Luigi playthrough recently entirely on my Switch Lite), the best thing about this collection is people seeing how clunky and miserable Mario 64 really is by modern standards. I'm noticing a real downtick in the people who claim it's the platonic ideal of the platformer genre and act like you're just nuts when you point out how poorly it controls, or how empty its levels are, or how much the camera control sucks, etc.

I 100%ed all three games in the collection now. Really satisfying, as I've never done that before. Mario 64 was as miserable as ever, and now I can say I've fully completed it. Mario Sunshine is worse than I remember, but still a massive improvement from its predecessor, and solid fun in its own right. Mario Galaxy is actually a little worse than I remember insofar as I forgot how annoying those motion controlled levels were, and the entire experience is still a little on the easy side (aside from those infuriating trash disposal levels). Still one of my top three Nintendo games overall, though.

And yeah, Spyro has always been better. Part of that is probably because it built on what Mario 64 had already achieved, but it's goofy, has great level design, the controls are mostly decent (controlling the camera with the shoulder bumpers is hard to get used to after years of using twin-sticked controllers, admittedly), and it beats the pants off of any of the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games.

@JaxonH @BruceCM There's an easy solution to this. Make it where you can lock in preorders early if you're paying from funds in your eshop account instead of from an external source. It should be a simple matter for Nintendo to be able to refund credit to your account before launch.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Maybe that's a solution, but I suspect it has more to do with the software being downloaded and on the system. Once that happens, they don't want to deal with refunds (hence why preload is now blocked until 7 days prior to launch).

My solution would just be a waiver you click on and enter your password for, confirming you waive your right to a refund.

Either way I don't really care that much. It's slightly less convenient not knowing when the charge will come through and keeping balance topped off, but it ranks pretty low overall on the list of things I actually care about.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Buizel

Been playing some of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game. I was excited about this one as I quite enjoyed the film, and I missed this when it originally came out.

I have...mixed feelings. The game is certainly charming, and I do like a good beat-em-up. But I feel the progression system is a little broken, and the difficulty curve is all out of whack. I'm a bit iffy about levelling up and upgrades in a beat-me-up to begin with (I think they can work, but they need to be carefully balanced), but I feel that some of the level-up moves gained, and the ability to upgrade indefinitely, really ruins the balance a bit. As such, I reached a massive difficulty spike around stages 3 and 4, which were overcome by a bit of replaying, which allowed me to gain experience and money for upgrades. But now I have improved strength and defence, and an overpowered move that lets me combo effectively with any weapon, but the enemies haven't really got any stronger. Consequently levels 5 and 6 have been a cake walk (I've not lost a single life!).

I think it's an okay title which is held up by it's charming art direction and scenery. Definitely not a purchase that I regret, but I am a little disappointed.

Also perhaps I'm missing a lot of the fun by not playing co-op!

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

What I can’t stand is how slow you move in beat em ups, and the run button is always “jerk the analog fast” or “double tap dpad” which I’m not using. Wish I could just hold a button like ZL to run. And frankly that’s why I didn’t play it for more than 15-20 minutes.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic