Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,741 to 53,760 of 69,963

Grumblevolcano

Timing was Wonderful 101's biggest problem, system sellers drive hardware which then drives smaller software. Wii U got the system sellers way too late for the Wii U to be successful.

The re-release was bad timing too. May 2020 was packed with Switch games, physical release got delayed to July and on the PS4 side it was in close proximity to 3 of the biggest exclusives of the PS4's lifespan (FFVII Remake, TLoU2, Ghost of Tsushima).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BenAV

In my opinion, The Wonderful 101's biggest problem is that it's just not very good.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

The games that'll make 2021 for me will be Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (god, what a mouthful), Shin Megami Tensei V, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, and for now that's it. Maybe Monster Hunter if that piques my interest enough (@JaxonH please brainwash me into your Monster Hunter cult), maybe No More Heroes likewise, maybe Disco Elysium... it seems like a low key year so far.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ralizah

@theJGG I'm really hoping we start getting news about the Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster Turbo Edition after Strikers is out. I'm dying to hear about it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@theJGG
JaxonH please brainwash me into your Monster Hunter cult now

Be careful what you wish for! Once you get sucked in the Monster Hunter vortex, there's no climbing your way back out. It will make other games feel boring by comparison. You won't want to play anything else while you're in the perma-binge state. Only after completing the game will your brain start to adjust and feel pleasure from other experiences again.

Indoctrination begins now 🧚‍♀️

I know it's a bit of a long article, but that tends to happen with people passionate about the Monster Hunter franchise. You start with a paragraph and before you know it you've written a small pamphlet. It even happens when playing the game. Start with a 15 minute hunt, and before you know it 4 hours pass by like nothing, and you're still not tired of playing.

It's worth the read if you truly want to understand the appeal of Monster Hunter, at least... as best you can without playing it. Just know that you likely won't enjoy enjoy game until you find a weapon you like, learn it's moves and combos, and get at least a basic familiarity with what a normal hunt looks like and what you're supposed to be doing. Those who just casually dip their toes in almost invariably end up saying, "I don't like it... feels slow... it's confusing". Those who commit to learn almost invariably end up saying, "GOAT! This game is amazing!"

https://www.pcgamer.com/why-people-love-monster-hunter-so-dam...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

I'm interested to see about tomorrow's results like whether MK8 Deluxe is still the best selling Switch game and if Pokemon Sword/Shield has overtaken Pokemon Gold/Silver.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jedgamesguy

@JaxonH I have read the article and it makes me see the series in a whole new light. I honestly thought it was something similar to Dark Souls, with a bunch of monsters to kill. But the fact that the developers prioritise the realism of the creatures above all is really admirable. I’ll absolutely look out for it, look at sales numbers and reviews, and I might get the game after all. Not that I was ever against it if I’m being honest.

@Grumblevolcano I didn’t realise those were tomorrow! Can’t wait for those numbers! Only thing it does is prove all of us right for trusting the Switch to begin with.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

JaxonH

@theJGG
Ya, it's nothing like Dark Souls, except inasmuch that they both have animation commitments, i-frame dodge rolling and a high barrier of entry.

But Monster Hunter is nowhere near that level of difficulty. It only seems difficult at first because you haven't developed the skills, but as you play your skills improve. Out of 600 hours playing the average MH game, I think it's safe to say I usually get carted less than a dozen times total (cart = faint from losing all HP, which sends you back to base on the "kitty cart", which is a little wagon cart with wheels the felynes use to haul your unconscious body back to base... you get 3 carts per hunt before you fail the Quest, and zenny rewards decrease with each cart, thankfully not material rewards though, so it's no big deal really).

That said, there is usually endgame content for the vets that is more difficult (so they don't lose interest from it being too easy) but it doesn't actually feel too hard either because by the time you get there, you're a master hunter.

There's usually at least one or two end game Quests though that are a legitimate hard-core challenge, and which truly test a hunter's mettle. Kinda like Champion's Road in Mario 3D World.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

There were only 30 large monsters in MH World? Aren't there 100+ in GU?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
World had 30 in the base game, but 36 after all the DLC monsters.

The Iceborne ultimate expansion plus DLC updates took the grand total up to 71.

MHGU had 93 large monsters, by comparison. Which is a 31% larger roster than MHW:I + all it's DLC additions combined.

Compare that to MH Tri on Wii, which not only had a paltry 18 large monsters, but actually removed certain weapon types. Yikes. No wonder MH3U on Wii U was so attractive with its 12 weapon types and 51 large monsters. That's almost triple the monster count. Even MH Portable 3rd had 40, while MH4U had 75.

As for MH Rise, thus far we have 24 monsters 100% confirmed, with another half dozen that are all but confirmed due to their armor sets being shown, and about 8-9 more monsters leaked. I suspect the count will be higher than World's initial count, but only by 5, maybe 10 monsters. So 35, possibly 40. Then again, some of the leaked monsters may turn out to be DLC additions. We don't really know.

So I'd count on 35. That seems a safe bet. Which is 5 more than World got at launch. Add another 5 as DLC, that takes us to 40. Then add another 30 for the Ultimate edition, that's 70, and another 5 as Ultimate DLC, for a grand total of 75- the exact same count total as MH4U. Which seems reasonable given the new engine.

edit

Preorder Monster Hunter Rise at Best Buy for a free steelbook case!

It seems different than the EU version. It has a sunset background like the Deluxe version boxart, while the EU version has a daytime sky background like the base version boxart.

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
I said I'd expect 35, with another 5 added as DLC over the course of the following year leading up to Rise Ultimate.

As for areas, we know of 4 confirmed areas already, with 1 leaked area.

Shrine Ruins
Flooded Forest
Frost Islands
[unnamed volcanic region shown in trailer]
Sandy Plans (leaked)

Whether we get anything else beyond that, I'm not sure. I suspect those will be the 5 we get in the base game though. And perhaps a special area for a boss at the end.

jedgamesguy

JaxonH wrote:

It will make other games feel boring by comparison. You won't want to play anything else while you're in the perma-binge state. Only after completing the game will your brain start to adjust and feel pleasure from other experiences again.

Forgot to mention this last night but I felt this way with Fire Emblem: 3H and Persona 5 (and even Persona 4). Both have crazy amounts of dialogue, and numerous relationships possible. Persona had much more depth than I could have imaged on that front, so revisiting FE will be a bit strange.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

FragRed

The Nintendo Switch is selling like absolute crazy! Just shy of 80 million and outselling the entire 3DS line already!

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

MH Rise demo is over in 15 minutes based on the original announcement back in January. Don't delete the demo though as you can still access local play and judging by the MH World demo any future demos would likely be updates to this one rather than a separate download.

Grumblevolcano

dionysos283

Wow! Almost 80 million units sold in less than 4 years!

Why do you guys think third party support is still so weak? E.g. Rockstar Games so far only released L.A. Noir on Switch. 😕

dionysos283

Magician

@dionysos283

Take-Two's support of the Switch has been alright. L.A. Noir was fine. But they've also brought Civilization VI, Borderlands Collection, BioShock Collection, XCOM Collection, and the Outer Worlds. Although games like WWE 2k Battlegrounds, WWE 2k18, and Carnival Games are complete garbage.

Why they haven't released a triple pack of GTA III, VC, and SA on Switch yet baffles me.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BenAV

Third party support has been pretty good from my perspective. The publishers that haven't been giving much support are mostly ones that publish games that I'm not interested in in the first place.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic