Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,701 to 53,720 of 54,912

ToadBrigade

@link3710 That graph would’ve gotten me a failing grade in seventh grade science 😂 Kidding aside, the point is that we’re basically already at a point where it is very hard to tell the difference between the new and old gen, and the “generational leap” will soon become a thing of the past.

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer)
Splatoon 2 Campaign
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

toiletduck

Dutch news site Nu.nl is reporting that the Dutch consumer rights protection organization is collecting complaints about the Joy-Cons, together with other European consumer rights protectors. I'll try to find an English article on this later (after work), but for Dutch speakers: link

edit: quick search led to this article

Edited on by toiletduck

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Grumblevolcano

I think my Joy-Con may have actually gotten drift after all this time. I rarely use Joy-Con but both my pro controllers ran out of charge while I was cutting down every tree in Akkala Citadel just over a week ago (there's a quest in Age of Calamity that requires a lot of wood and that story mission has lots of trees) so I changed to the Joy-Con grip while my pro controllers were charging and both player and camera control felt off.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Arbor

do you guys think there will be a special edition switch/switch pro launched alongside botw2?

Arbor

Giancarlothomaz

@Arbor i think is very likely to happen, Legend of Zelda along side Mario, is Nintendo bighest franchise, i believe they gonna release a Special edition Switch or the rumored Switch Pro to release along side Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2(something tell me that Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 is gonna be bighest game for 2021, maybe with also Super Mario Odyssey 2 releasing along side it).

i like HD Rumble.

Grumblevolcano

@Arbor I think no because we're entering year 4 of the Switch and there's only been 3 1st party special edition Switch systems:

• Pokemon Let's Go (Switch)
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch Lite)
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch)

Meanwhile with the 3DS there were lots of special edition systems by this point.

I could see however there being Link green Joy-Con kind of like how Odyssey had Mario red Joy-Con.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WoomyNNYes

@Grumblevolcano Ditto. A week ago I noticed my left gray joycon drifts enough to mess with gameplay. These are launch day joycons from march 3 2017. Calibration page showed it was slow to return to center, or slightly stick to a direction.

Online stores are sold out of gray joycons, but I walked into a Target store and they had one gray pair left on the wall. Full price, of course, $79.99 usd. I got lucky finding that pair.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Playing: Rocket League, Immortals
Would pay handsomely for Geoguessr on Switch

JaxonH

@link3710 @ToadBrigade
Good thing it wasnt a graph made for a school, and instead was just a quick illustration made for a forum post done in 30 seconds to better communicate the concept which I was trying to convey. Which it does. It wasnt dressed up because it doesnt need to be. It's simply a visual tool to help communicate what my verbal language is describing.

You don't need a peer reviewed quality graph to get the idea (I can make one if you like, but I felt people are smart enough to infer the conceptualization).

The Y axis is perceived visual fidelity as a function of time. X axis is obviously time. If it represents 50 years, it should be evident you divide the span by 50 which is about 1 major line every 10 years. The units of Y are irrelevant. The point is the limit being approached (though sure, we could call that limit 100%), and the ever shrinking gap between mobile and console since they are both inevitably approaching the same limit. The mobile function is simply offset as its trailing by a decade or so.

Which, I think the point was clear enough, as people have already said. So why nitpick when it's just a quick sketch to help clarify. If we were in the same room, I would have drawn the same image with a pencil in 2 seconds (which is essentially what I did here, only I did it on desmos in 30 seconds), not drafted up a textbook caliber diagram.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise demo
PC: -----
PS5: -----
EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise

Jesus is Lord.

gcunit

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Arbor I think no because we're entering year 4 of the Switch and there's only been 3 1st party special edition Switch systems:

• Pokemon Let's Go (Switch)
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch Lite)
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch)

Meanwhile with the 3DS there were lots of special edition systems by this point.

I could see however there being Link green Joy-Con kind of like how Odyssey had Mario red Joy-Con.

Doesn't this one count?

Untitled

Edited on by gcunit

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

link3710

@JaxonH I said I got your point from the start, I just think the graph only served to be more confusing than helpful.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
My bad. Wasn’t trying to be confusing- the intent was to clarify. Hopefully this is less ambiguous...

Blue = Console
Red = Mobile
Time “0” = Year 2000
Untitled

Per the graph, we’re at the 20 year mark (20 years into the new millennium), and mobile graphics are roughly at the same point console graphics were at 10 years ago (which you can estimate by picking a point on the red graph and moving your finger horizontally to the left until it hits the blue graph, and count how many years ago console technology was at the same point). Except you have to keep in mind, consoles only see a jump every 7-8 years, so while we saw a huge jump to X1 and PS4 around the start of 2014, we won’t see the corresponding jump in mobile to that level until around 2024.

It’s not perfect- I’d need to better estimate % perceived visual fidelity for the consoles at different points in time and extrapolate a best-fit curve that uses that data as calibration points, but as a quick and dirty reference, it works.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

BestBuy Buy One Get One Half Off, Includes Sniper Elite 4, Ori Will of the Wisps, Ori and the Blind Forest, Immortals Fenyx Rising and More!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-nintendo-switch-ga...

Also, rumors if you add a lower price game into your cart first, it’ll take half off a higher priced game you add second. No promises though

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Magician

@Ralizah

Well...I've messed around with the split pad pro for a few hours and I truly believe they're the joy-con alternative I've been desperately needing. Sure I'm giving up a whole lot of joy-con features, but I usually turn rumble off and rarely use motion controls and nfc anyhow. In the end my only hope is to stop the endless cycle of the joy-con I use contracting drift after roughly nine months of using them.

(For those who don't know, I'm now on my fifth pair of joy-con since August 2017 due to drift issues.)

So if the split pad pro manages to break the chain I say, "hallelujah!"

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 697 games (as of January 19th, 2021)
Currently playing: Alliance Alive HD (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Ralizah

@Magician The SPP really is awesome for handheld play. I'll still switch to joycons + grip for games that really benefit from gyro and/or HD rumble, but the majority of games, I've found, don't really take advantage of those features, and for those games, the Split Pad Pro is perfect. The sticks and buttons are SO nice.

Also worth mentioning the ability to map controls to paddles on the back of the controller, and also the turbo function, which is tremendously helpful for games like Animal Crossing that make you press the same button over and over.

The biggest downside for me is the sheer... size of the thing. It really does make the Switch absurdly long when they're attached. But this isn't an issue for me, since I have a Lite that I use as a secondary console, and that's the machine I'll take around with me everywhere. The SPP is what I use for games when I play them around the house.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Super Mario Galaxy/Piczle Lines DX (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

JaxonH

For the life of me, I can’t understand why not one single accessory manufacturer has made a set of joycon for enthusiasts that doesn’t cut ANY features, and adds things like a D-pad, assignable back buttons, etc.

Or even just joycon with a D-pad that actually have gyro and HD rumble, or is even wireless at all!

Nope. Every single blasted controller is missing something. Even the Power A pro controllers boasting gyro... they don’t have rumble. Not even normal rumble. Like... come on guys. 70 million Switches, and you don’t think there’s a market for enthusiast controllers? Rather than compete with 30 other off brand generics stripping back as many features as possible to sell for less, maybe release a single enthusiast model that offers everything gamers want. Nobody even tries. Other consoles, sure, all the time. But Switch? It’s like they think everybody is a casual who only cares about having buttons and nothing else.

What do you mean you want the controller to be wireless? We gave you a d-pad on it, why would you care about anything else? It’s only $20... Ya, and just MAYBE we want more than $20 worth of features!

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

toiletduck

JaxonH wrote:

For the life of me, I can’t understand why not one single accessory manufacturer has made a set of joycon for enthusiasts that doesn’t cut ANY features, and adds things like a D-pad, assignable back buttons, etc.

Or even just joycon with a D-pad that actually have gyro and HD rumble, or is even wireless at all!

Nope. Every single blasted controller is missing something. Even the Power A pro controllers boasting gyro... they don’t have rumble. Not even normal rumble. Like... come on guys. 70 million Switches, and you don’t think there’s a market for enthusiast controllers? Rather than compete with 30 other off brand generics stripping back as many features as possible to sell for less, maybe release a single enthusiast model that offers everything gamers want. Nobody even tries. Other consoles, sure, all the time. But Switch? It’s like they think everybody is a casual who only cares about having buttons and nothing else.

What do you mean you want the controller to be wireless? We gave you a d-pad on it, why would you care about anything else? It’s only $20... Ya, and just MAYBE we want more than $20 worth of features!

Amen.

toiletduck

toiletduck

JaxonH wrote:

@toiletduck
Its essentially the same game loop as Zelda. So, if BotW got old for you, then ya, this probably will too. But if BotW didnt get old, then neither will this. Especially since it's much shorter than Zelda.

The combat is fantastic. Way better than Zelda. That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the game is like Bayonetta. It's not like Bayonetta. I'm saying the game is like Breath of the Wild, but with actual good fast paced combat. It does the slow motion thing if you dodge last second (although, Zelda did that too so...).

Immortals Combat

Also, while most Ubisoft games do drag on, most people who've beat it are praising it for not dragging on, describing it as the first "non-Ubisoft" Ubisoft game in years. It doesnt have the fluff. In fact, I think the game is half the length of Assassins Creed Valhalla. They took the less is more approach, so as to not out stay its welcome.

Thanks again. I just watched the video. Although this type of battle system is usually not entirely my cup of tea, I think I'll enjoy it nonetheless. It seems that you don't have to dive all to deep into the battlesystem and still properly play and enjoy to game. I'll definitely pick this up later, probably as a warmup before BOTW2.

toiletduck

JaxonH

DOOM Eternal is legit. Idk what else to say. Its even better than I had hoped for.

Look at this solid framerate! And look at how good the visual quality is! Panic Button, you've redeemed yourselves!

@toiletduck
Honestly, it keeps getting better and better the more I play. I like the upgrades and progression system. Increase health, stamina, potion capacity, swords, axes, unlock abilities and skills, upgrade existing abilities and skills... it's very robust.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH you are trying to explain to us, trought this graph, that one generation the graphics and others adantanges is gonna be so minimal compared to previous generations, that very few people are gonna notice this,the jump to next generation of consoles is not gonna be drastic, was, SNES to N64 or PS2 to PS3 for example?is that your graph want to represent?

i like HD Rumble.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic