Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,681 to 53,700 of 54,916

toiletduck

@JaxonH thanks, I'll check out the vid. Yeah, BOTW never gets old for me... I can probably start a new playthrough tomorrow and get sucked in all over again. I'm positive I'll give this a go somewhere along the line. I have so much to play though, that it's not necessary for me to pay full price for a game that will probably cost half in a few months time.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

JaxonH

@toiletduck
Totally understand that. I'm sure itll be $30 by March, give or take. But... Monster Hunter Rise will be releasing around that time, and hot off the back of Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Bravely Default 2 and Persona 5 Strikers (among other titles which could release around that time frame, such as SMT3, SMTV, No More Heroes 3, etc). Next year is gonna be so packed- the onslaught begins in about 60 days time! But, I'm sure there will be a gap at some point, making a good time to squeeze it in. The season pass has 3 notable expansions coming spring 2021, so you'll have the benefit of having all the content released by then.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise demo
PC: -----
PS5: -----
EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

Well, I'd totally written off Gods and Monsters (I'm not using the other title, lol), but if it's that good, @JaxonH , I'll be sure to snag it at some point.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Super Mario Galaxy/Piczle Lines DX (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I had too. When I saw the leaked Stadia footage, I said to myself, "well, looks like I'm writing this one off". But in spite of that, the game has made a believer out of me. I've never been more wrong about a game in my life, I dont think.

I'm almost confident you would love this game.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH How is the performance when undocked? It's an open world game, so I'm expecting some level of fuzz, but if it's like Xenoblade DE/XC2 where it's not really viable undocked, then I'll probably just play it on PC.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
screenshots from work yesterday
Untitled

Untitled

screenshot from at home yesterday
Untitled

As you can see, it's pretty impressive. Definitely not native res like BotW, but a far cry from disasters like Outer Worlds or Xenoblade in handheld. I'd say it looks about on par with Dragon Quest XI S. And it doesnt have any severe performance issues in handheld mode, either. All in all I'm very impressed with this game on Switch. Particularly handheld mode.

edit
@Ralizah
I took this screenshot at work just now, a minute ago. Had to turn the lights off in my office though due to screen reflection

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH And again this shows what's possible when a game is designed for Switch from the beginning. Though... we'll see if that saves Doom Eternal.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Ya, Immortals was clearly targeting Switch from day one. There's no possible way they could have downgraded a 9th gen AAA open world game of this magnitude to get it to not only run on Switch, but run fairly well and look this good. It seems clear to me this game was targeting Switch first and foremost, with other platforms simply upgrading from that baseline, as opposed to the familiar "target the most powerful system as the baseline and then downgrade".

And that's how every game should be designed. Because then every game could be made to run on Switch. Judging by the other versions, it doesn't seem to have held the game back in the slightest. And given the Switch version seems to be outselling all other versions combined on Amazon, Idk why they wouldn't want to.

You have the people who'll say "YA BUT other platforms have more competition", to which I'd say Switch has had plenty of competition. Be it Pikmin 3, Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity or Doom Eternal, there's lots of other games vying for attention. To which they'll say, "YA BUT most those games are ports, so people probably already played them". Which I'd then point out we're talking about the SWITCH platform and games vying for attention within the SWITCH fanbase. And then they'll likely say, "YA BUT they still probably played them on other platforms", which I'd respond with, "if you're suggesting Switch gamers also play games on other platforms, then you're admitting the other games releasing on other consoles are vying for just as much attention from Switch gamers as anyone else, AND YET... the Switch version of Immortals is still dominating".

So there's no weaseling out of it with slick arguments or justifications- Switch has established itself as a platform that can sell serious software, to the extent that, more and more, we're actually seeing it consistently outperform other versions. As long as the port is good, and there's reasonable marketing to let people know about it... Switch versions will sell. And the more time goes on, the bigger the install base grows, the more this truth becomes obvious.

We have crossed over into the dawn of a new era! Moving forward in a post-Switch world, we're only going to see 3rd party support grow. It may take generations before they fully recapture the majority of the market, but the process has begun. Switch has triggered a domino effect that can't be stopped. So many gamers have now tasted the sweet nectar of hybrid gaming, and they want more. Like with gyro aiming, they can't go back. They've been unplugged from the Matrix. And once you discover the truth, the world you knew can never be the same again.

10 years from now, we'll be there. We'll reach Zion- a hybrid land where 3rd party games flow like milk and honey. Where the hardware has advanced far enough to reach parity with 8th gen consoles. Where DLSS upscaling provides us with 4k images while docked, and 1080p images on the go, without choking the life out of the precious battery. A land where gyro has been perfected with magnometers, and joycon drift is all but a distant memory. Where HD rumble is utilized in every game as other platforms have adopted the technology.

Am I saying we'll be able to cross save with any platform for any game? No... I'm saying when we're ready, we wont need to.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH I'm not so sure about 4K DLSS being standard. 4K DLSS requires native 1080p, something that's still pretty rare on the switch. Though, well at least see well over 1080p for all games, so that's a plus.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
In 10 years time?? I'm not talking about Switch, I'm talking about the hybrid we'll have 10 years from now. That's 2 more generations ahead of where we are today.

If we can't hit native 1080p docked for 4k DLSS and native 540p handheld for 1080p DLSS two generations from now, we've got serious problems! Of course, I'll be immensely disappointed if they aren't leveraging Nvidia's DLSS technology by then. It's the perfect solution to running games viably on a less powerful hybrid.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Thanks for the screenshots. It seems like the game holds up fairly well technically, which is awesome. It'll definitely be a Switch purchase, in that case. I'm sure it runs much more impressively on PC/PS4/whatever, but, honestly, if I'm tethered to a TV, I want it to be for a game that just clearly needs all that horsepower. Like Cyberpunk 2077, a game so detailed and graphically advanced that the PS4 version is starting to sound rather compromised, like the Switch port of The Witcher 3.

The good thing about being patient with Ubisoft games is that, without fail, prices drop like a rock after a few months. Which is why I don't buy any of their games at launch, with the exception of Mario + Rabbids (and that was so good that I'll buy the sequel on day one as well).

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
It really does hold up. Open world games are notorious for being incredibly demanding, even for power consoles. So to see this game running on the Switch as well as it does, and from Ubisoft no less... is impressive. And the fog you see in one of the screenshots... that fog lifts as soon as you gain flight. I thought they’d used fog to hide draw distance, but it turns out it was just for the prologue (first hour is the prologue, then the game title appears very dramatic like on a high lookout point... and the fog is gone).

We were just joking the other day how this game already started going on sale on its launch day with its $49.99 Amazon price tag lol. I’m sure it’ll be half price soon enough. Ubisoft really screwed themselves by destroying their price integrity. Most people believe their games will drop price soon after launch, and thus refrain from buying day one. This is why Nintendo maintains price integrity. Nobody ever thinks twice about buying a Nintendo game day one because they think it’ll go on sale soon.

I try to buy all games on Switch that hold up at least as well as this one does. Switch gets fewer 3rd party games as it is, so I want as many of them as possible that I can get on a hybrid system. The ones that can’t hold up well... that’s what PC is for. Witcher 3 actually held up reasonably well given how demanding it was, but it definitely suffered because of it. That was a game I was glad to have on Steam also, especially since it had cross save. Speaking of which, this game also has cross save! So if you want to get it on PC also for an extra $20 to play that version on the TV and Switch on the go, you can do that. No gyro in any other versions though. And I feel it really does add a lot of enjoyment for Apollo’s Arrows, normal arrows, Far Sight mechanic looking for secrets and landmarks and marking pins, and throwing rocks and other heavy items.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH In 10 years time ports of today's games will easily run at those levels. But modern games... who knows how hard they'll be pushing the hardware by then.

link3710

DarthNocturnal

I remember paying roughly $40 CAD for AC Odyssey Gold, which included AC3 Remastered, on top of Odyessy's season pass. It was more expensive to buy AC3R separately at launch. You almost wonder if Ubisoft forgot that it hadn't come out yet.

Granted, this was 4-5 months after launch. But then even the Christmas sale was 50% off, I believe.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

@link3710
We’ve been approaching a mathematical limit (like in calculus) for years, and even this generation is quite evident the leaps are so small you can hardly even tell PS5 versions of games from PS4 versions. Hence why the focus has been put on other aspects. At this point they’re just cranking up the resolution dial and the frame rate dial to absurd levels. Next generation, I challenge anyone to spot the difference between PS5 games and PS6 games.

Perceived Visual Fidelity (Console: Blue, Mobile: Red) Over 50 Year Timeline
Untitled

With 2 more generational leaps in mobile hardware, the Switch 3 will easily, easily best 8th gen consoles. Maybe even reach parity with the Pro versions. And there’s not a game that exists from this day forward that couldn’t run on a PS4 Pro or Xbox Series X with at least 1080p 30fps, especially if its not running raytracing or any other crazy power-hungry processes. Unless it’s just incredibly poorly optimized.

Even if a small, select handful of AAAA games couldn’t quite run out of the box by dialing down to 1080p 30fps with lower than ultra settings (think medium or high), the vast majority would. To the point it wouldn’t really impact much of anything.

As we encroach ever further toward the limit, the gap between mobile and desktop will shrink even more. It only gets smaller from here on out. And frankly, even if a game somehow couldn’t hit 1080p, all it would have to do is hit 720p to nail 1440p docked with DLSS. And even that would be exceptional for a hybrid handheld. So either way, we’re covered... IF they integrate DLSS. If they don’t, they’re morons and should be replaced immediately with someone who has the common sense to leverage the solution staring them in the face.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH Okay I have to ask. What is that graph? It doesn't even have labeled axes. Like I know what it's supposed to convey but...

link3710

TheGameChallenger

@link3710
simple, up is the ”perceived visual fidelity” (basically how much we can tell graphics) and right, time increasing with each big box in ten-year increments.

Edited on by TheGameChallenger

TheGameChallenger

Northwind

I’m seeing reports that Nintendo has ‘ceased’ (which I’m assuming to mean they issued a C&D order) to a project that was making and selling custom Joy-Con shells in honour of Etika (the Nintendo streamer who died by suicide a couple years ago). Apparently these weren’t third-party Joy-Cons, but rather just custom shells that could be installed onto official Nintendo Joy-Cons one already owned. Also, apparently the money from the sales was being donated to suicide-prevention charity.

As much as I find this story believable, I’m trying to verify it and having difficulty. It seems slightly dubious, as third-party replacement parts are not illegal (though they might void any warranties) and lots of people make and sell third-party Joy-Cons and Joy-Con parts without getting C&Ded. (Also, most of those people aren’t donating proceeds to charity either.)

Has anyone heard this story, and does anyone (like, ahem, a journalist perhaps) have any reliable sources on the matter? All the reports I’m seeing are from 4-5 hours ago as of this writing, so it’s possible it’s still too new a story - but if it’s not accurate then I’d very much appreciate having a few sources to show some people I know, to encourage them to stop spreading rumour as fact. (And if it is accurate, well. Wow.)

EDIT: actually, I’m finding conflicting reports regarding whether the products were shells or full Joy-Cons. Take that portion of this post with a grain of salt, please. I’m also seeing that the reason for the C&D (if it even happened) might’ve been that they were being sold using the term ‘Joy-Con’ and Nintendo might’ve taken issue with that because it’s a copyrighted term. (Though it does make sense in context, since Etika’s followers were known as ‘Joy-Con Boyz’.) I’m still trying to find any concrete information about this; hearsay isn’t gonna cut it here, and so far that’s all I’m seeing.

EDIT 2: ok, the reason I couldn’t find anything about this is because...(drumroll please)...apparently it actually did happen but it happened over a year ago.

So. Poor-optics manoeuvre by Nintendo? Yes. Breaking news? No.

Now I’ve gotta give a few people a talking to about dredging up old news as if it were recent. I’ll leave this post here in case anyone else is seeing these reports too and wondering what’s up.

EDIT 3: nope, apparently I was wrong again. This apparently is a recent thing. An Indiegogo campaign related to this failed in August of 2019, but apparently that’s not what the reports were referring to. This post seems to contain a lot of information, but it’s 02:30 here so I’ll look into it more tomorrow afternoon. Later today afternoon. Whatever. (Linked comment contains a swear word.):
https://www.reddit.com/r/EtikaRedditNetwork/comments/k7y1yh/n...

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

link3710

@TheGameChallenger What makes you think horizontal groupings are 10 years? Why not 5? Or 20? And what year does the graph start on? And vertical may be perceived fidelity, but in what units? Is it converging to 100% or not?

As a graph, it's very vague.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic