Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,661 to 53,680 of 55,008

NintendoByNature

@jump ah you're right. My apologies. In my little kid heart I still want to party like its 1999.

NintendoByNature

link3710

@DannyBoi Jump already answered, but the Switch has no mobile data of any kind. What would make you think otherwise? It doesn't have the hardware for it either, so it's not like they can patch it into the OS.

link3710

JaxonH

gcunit wrote:

DannyBoi wrote:

... it primarily being designed for streaming

Checks age of Switch.
Checks number of streaming games for Switch and ratio of streaming to non-streaming.
Checks definition of 'primary'.
Checks sales of non-Switch hardware & software made by Nintendo.
Checks 'Ignore' button still works... just in case.

Lol lol this post was legendary 😂

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise demo
PC: -----
PS5: -----
EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
In between Sniper Elite 4 and Immortals Fenyx Rising, I’ve actually been playing more AI The Somnium Files. I’m so glad I bought this game digitally (I don’t really play games much that I own physically only, because I primarily use my digital only systems, for convenience). It’s so good. I’ve never really been into visual novels but I’ve always wanted to get into them (ya know, the whole “I believe any person can get into any genre, it just takes playing the right game”). Stein’s Gate just never did it for me, despite all the praise I’d hear from others.

But this game is different. It’s easily the highest budget visual novel I’ve ever played, and the 3D sections actually elevate it to feel like much more than your typical VN. I swear, sometimes I’m just not in the mood to deal with reaction times or stress, and I just want a game I can relax with and play at my own pace. Some thing with a good story... this game fits that bill to the tee. It’s exactly what I’ve been missing this whole time. I finally found a game that has sold me on the genre.

And to be honest I probably wouldn’t have bought it if it wasn’t for you championing the game leading up to its launch. As the years go by, there are fewer and fewer new experiences that give me that rush, that sensation of discovery I used to get all the time back in the Wii U era and early Switch days. But this game is proof enough there’s still genres left that are worth discovering.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Oh, nice! I've been meaning to get back to it myself. I had leant it to a family member who had just gotten a Switch and was looking for something 'meaty' to play, but I was in the middle of my playthrough at the time, so... I'll probably just start over.

The game's writer, Kotaro Uchikoshi, has solid cult cred both from his work on the Infinity series VNs from the early 2000s as well as his Nintendo DS/3DS Zero Escape trilogy, the latter of which blended mind-bending science-horror scenarios with engaging escape room puzzles. If Spike Chunsoft ever gets off its lazy butt and ports over The Nonary Games collection to Switch, it'll be an absolute must-buy.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Super Mario Galaxy/Piczle Lines DX (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

SM3DASislit

Grumblevolcano wrote:

The Player's Voice category for the Game Awards gone live (winner is 100% decided by the public) and a few Nintendo games are eligible:

• Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity

@Grumblevolcano
Sorry for the last response, I was busy this week.

• Oh, that's cool.
    Checks Player's Voice category
    Once again, Ninjala has been snubbed of another award. 😐
    At least Genshin Impact got another nominee, though. 😃
    I wish Ninjala had gotten (at least) a couple of awards from TGA.
    You know, something that has surprised me this year is the amount of praise that Genshin Impact has gotten, and how quickly people have dismissed Ninjala. 🤔

Edited on by SM3DASislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. Also, if you haven't played it since launch, please give it another chance. 🤔

JaxonH

I think Ninjala had some serious issues. Namely the Rock Paper Scissors showdowns which was entirely luck based, and the fact many people just didn’t find it that fun/fulfilling long term. Of course, more power to anyone who loves it. I don’t think it’s a bad game. It’s just... it only ever reminds me how I’d rather be playing Splatoon 2.

edit
Chronos Before the Ashes is a pretty good little game! And it looks decent in handheld mode (always a huge sticking point for me after Outer Worlds). Not spectacular, but decent. Better than most games of this caliber do, lets just say that.

It’s not a masterpiece by any means, but it’s a really solid Souls like game, but with multiple difficulties and more of a Bioshock/Metroid Prime atmosphere. I’m surprised that I can’t seem to put it down. I just keep playing, and playing... more than Dark Souls ever got me hooked. Maybe because it’s not soul crushingly difficult. It feels kinda hard, but not really.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

SM3DASislit

@JaxonH
I get that the Rock Paper Scissors combat can be annoying to some because it's luck based, but that doesn't bug me for some reason.
Also, they added an option (in either 1.2 or 2.0) in which you can get out off the Rock Paper Scissors combat by pressing the L button.
TBH, I haven't played Splatoon 2 since January, and I'm enjoying Ninjala currently more than Splatoon 2.
EDIT: I hope that my response didn't come off as harsh or rude.

Edited on by SM3DASislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. Also, if you haven't played it since launch, please give it another chance. 🤔

JaxonH

Apollo’s Arrow is so dope in Immortals Fenyx Rising. You hold ZL to aim, and use ZR to shoot your arrows (with gyro aiming added), but you can use L to shoot Apollo’s Arrow which is a flying arrow from the perspective of the tail end of the arrow, and you can use the analog and gyro to steer it as it flies. It’s so freaking cool! And all it does is use up stamina as it flies so you can fly it really freaking far, and you’ll just be out of stamina for a few seconds afterwards. And all the arrows automatically recharge overtime! I really really like this design.

The game feels like Zelda BotW x Assassins Creed Odyssey. It really does. It’s basically Zelda with Greek mythos, full story and voiced dialog, humor and more Bayonetta style combat. But the skills and gyro bow and arrows and gyro when scouting the land (just like BotW you can look over the landscape and place up to 6 markers, and discover secret chests via detection by HD rumble when the cursor is lined up with a landmark.

I really really really want to buy the game on PS5 since it has cross platform save built in, so I can play that version on the tv and Switch in handheld, but there’s no gyro in that version! And they went Epic Store on PC instead of Steam, which I refuse to buy from, so no gyro PC version either (maybe it’ll release on Steam down the line? After Epic Exclusivity? Probably- if they were never planning to release on Steam they would have made it UPlay exclusive). I would have easily dropped another $100 on this game to have a PC version of the game + season pass with gyro while I play. But as it stands I’ll just stick with the Switch version. By the time it releases on Steam I’ll be done with the game. I would’ve bought on PS5 too had it included gyro. They did include the HD rumble the Switch has, but not the Gyro. Lost sale.

But I really feel I need to stress how good this game is. Like, would you pass up Zelda BotW? If not, then don’t pass this game up either. Because it really feels like it’s on that kind of level. I hesitate to say it’s THAT good, because as good as it is, no, it’s not quite as good as Zelda. But the fact it’s within a stone’s throw of one of the greatest video games ever made, that says it all. Missing this game is like missing Zelda BotW. A notion most Nintendo fans would find absurd. Wait for sale, wait for a patch for crashes (a fair complaint), Buy it in the bargain bin, rent it, borrow it from a friend... who cares, but whatever you do, make sure you play this game!

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Just curious, why gyro playing does really matter to you ?
For me as casual gamer, i'm okay if the games have gyro play or not as long the games are playable with normal controller.
Btw, are gyro control same with motion control like Wii games or Kinect Xbox 360 games ?

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

DarthNocturnal

It's all motion control, just way more accurate then what the Wii had, and without the need to set up a sensor bar or camera.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

gcunit

@Anti-Matter Asking JaxonH why he likes gyro aiming is like asking Anti-Matter why he likes six pack abs... he just does. Alot! 😛

Edited on by gcunit

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NintendoByNature

gcunit wrote:

@Anti-Matter Asking JaxonH why he likes gyro aiming is like asking Anti-Matter why he likes six pack abs... he just does. Alot! 😛

Hahaha this was great

NintendoByNature

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Is gyro aiming like on Pokemon Let's Go ?

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Eel

Gyro makes it a lot easier to precisely adjust your aim.

At least for me.

Although, when done wrong they can be infuriating.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@gcunit
Lol

@Anti-Matter
Gyro aiming uses subtle motion movements to fine tune aim. The Wii was onto something, but it never reached its proper potential because the Wiimote lacked a right analog stick, so devs often forced the player to turn the camera with motion controls, which doesn’t work well. Now that we have a more modern system with two analog sticks and Gyro aiming which doesn’t require a sensor bar, The player can turn the camera with the right analog like normal, and even do rough, general aiming with the right analog, but utilize motion to dial in the aim, which is much faster due to the larger range of motion mapped to player input compared to the tiny, 15mm radius of an analog stick. Which results in better accuracy, quicker response times and more repeatable results.

Sony has now perfected the gyro technology by adding a magnometer which, like a compass, uses the magnetic field to keep the orientation calibrated without drifting. This was the final hurdle to overcome with regard to the technology. It’s still 100% in most games which use right analog for camera and only use motion to fine tune aim, but for games which use Gyro to imitate pointer controls such as super Mario galaxy and Pikmin 3, the pitfalls of gyro are apparent for all to see. Hence the need to recalibrate with the R button every 30 seconds. Hopefully Nintendo adds a magnetometer for the Switch 2 controller.

@NintendoByNature
I feel like... I hit these dry spells where nothing truly amazing is releasing. Good games, sure. Even great games. But sometimes I will go six months without a game releasing that truly grabs me and gets me excited every time I play it.

Like, Hyrule Warriors AoC. I think it’s a great game. I do. But it just doesn’t excite me. Spiderman Miles Morales and Demons Souls. Both great games. Exceptional even. Buuut... they just don’t excite me. I don’t feel enthusiastic about getting off work to dig in. Yet we’ve had three games back to back to back that do exactly that- Pikmin 3, Sniper Elite 4 on Switch, and Immortals Fenyx Rising on Switch. And a large reason for why these games play so well on the switch is precisely because of the utilization of Gyro to enhance the experience. Like, Sniper Elite 4 is a great game regardless, but I flat out I’m not interested in playing it without gyro. The fun is lost without it. It really is. The fun comes from zooming in and sniping somebody using Gyro aim so you really feel like you’re the one aiming, rather than fighting with a stiff, rigid control stick. I think Immortals would still hold up without it, because it’s not as prevalent, but it’s still used frequently enough that it would be sorely missed if it was MIA (as it is in other versions).

Anyways, regardless of that aspect, I guess what I’m trying to say is this is one of those rare games that really gets me excited to play- it’s one of those rare games I’ll probably... no, not probably... will certainly play through to completion. It’s easily the best new game I’ve played all year, and is for sure one of the top 3 Ubisoft games I’ve ever played (other 2 being Trials Rising and Kingdom Battle, though Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell Blacklist and Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag are noteworthy contenders)

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

toiletduck

With regards to Immortals: it's the reference to Bayonetta combat that holds me off and I'm afraid the gameplay loop gets old soon. That tends to happen a lot with Ubisoft games: a lot of fun for the first 1/3rd of the game, and then it becomes a repetitive chore. With BOTW that hardly ever felt like that. I always wanted there to be more.

Besides that, this forum's game topic title hurts my eyes so much that I have trouble checking in there

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH intereting, so is that the way the Gyro aiming work in Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild? and could work in Metroid Prime 4?

i like HD Rumble.

JaxonH

@toiletduck
Its essentially the same game loop as Zelda. So, if BotW got old for you, then ya, this probably will too. But if BotW didnt get old, then neither will this. Especially since it's much shorter than Zelda.

The combat is fantastic. Way better than Zelda. That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the game is like Bayonetta. It's not like Bayonetta. I'm saying the game is like Breath of the Wild, but with actual good fast paced combat. It does the slow motion thing if you dodge last second (although, Zelda did that too so...).

Immortals Combat

Also, while most Ubisoft games do drag on, most people who've beat it are praising it for not dragging on, describing it as the first "non-Ubisoft" Ubisoft game in years. It doesnt have the fluff. In fact, I think the game is half the length of Assassins Creed Valhalla. They took the less is more approach, so as to not out stay its welcome.

@Giancarlothomaz
Not just Zelda BotW, but Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Saint's Row 3, Saint's Row 4, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Rogue, Sniper Elite v2, Sniper Elite 3, Sniper Elite 4, LA Noire, Doom, Doom Eternal, Doom 64, Ion Fury, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 2, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Fortnite, Overwatch, Paladins, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, Alien Isolation, Crysis, Daemon X Machina, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Okami HD, Panzer Dragoon, Skyrim, The Outer Worlds, Monster Hunter Rise and it's used in many other games (Splatoon 2, Arms, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D All Stars, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc), but in a less traditional sense (such as Splatoon 2 not fully mixing analog with gyro for Y-axis). And yes, it will certainly be used in Metroid Prime 4. Otherwise we riot 😂

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic