Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,101 to 53,120 of 69,981

Grumblevolcano

I noticed something about the eshop, the "Current Offers" section is just the "Charts" section but for discounted games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Guest88

@Ralizah not hard to do when two of them are 7 year old hardware and other two are hard to find because chinese messed up with the virus.

Guest88

jump

@Guest88 You're giving China too much credit for messing up with the virus. Plenty of other countries have ranked much higher in how they have messed up their handling of Coivd. I wouldn't even put China in the top ten.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Guest88

@jump Corvid came from China didn’t it? So yeah they have the blame for lying.

Edited on by Guest88

Guest88

JaxonH

@jump
True, many have, but theres no denying China lied in submitted WHO numbers, Im pretty sure they banned flights within the country but not going out of the country (you can check me on that but I think that's the case), they persecuted and censored the brave Chinese journalists who were trying to speak out and warn us before it blew up, all of which contributed to the worldwide spread. There's also at least 2 Chinese citizens, one a high level virologist- Li-Meng Yan, who worked at the Wuhan lab on actual coronaviruses, who have fled the country and gone on record about China manufacturing the virus (not to say its escape was intentional), and it's worth mentioning Li-Meng Yan didnt just make the claim, she brought receipts with evidence supporting her claim (you'll have to do your own research and come to your own conclusions on that, though). Whether that be true or not I cannot say, but I dont think its wise to write off these Chinese whistelblower scientists, as fleeing the country and coming forth doesnt seem like something a high level scientist would do if they're making things up.

So ya, there's plenty blame to go around, without question, but China should definitely be at the top of the list.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jump

@JaxonH yeah I watched the clip of her on Carlson Tucker which says it all really. She has already been debunked ages ago, she is part of group set up by a former Trump aid (who is currently awaiting trial for fraud) where their goal is to teach people about China being bad or something like that.

As nice as it would be to have a target to blame it’s just a part of nature and blaming China ends up being a diversion to deflect from the short comings of country’s leadership on the issue.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

link3710

@JaxonH While true, going around yelling about China the virus every time COVID is mentioned tends to do nothing but get people of Asian descent harrassed. There was no reason to bring China up in this thread.

link3710

JaxonH

@jump
I havent watched that interview, I only read an article about it. Would have to do more research, but tbh I didnt particularly care enough to do the work. It's not like it changes anything anyways. Accidents happen, regardless of its source. It was still handled irresponsible either way.

@link3710
Fair point. I do think theres plenty to blame with China and I never understand those who try to make excuses for them, but at the same time, there's no reason to go out of your way to criticism them more than necessary. That being said, I dont think people are criticizing the "people" of China so much as their communist government (CCP) and nobody should have to walk on eggshells over the possibility of the select few ignorant zealots who would "harass Asian people" as a result.

I mean, if that's all it takes for someone to harass the innocent, they're probably unstable people who will harass people regardless. Should never censor our speech over a tiny percent of ideologues- unless you're actively saying "attack and harrass innocent people because the CCP was irresponsible" making the connection between a fair criticism being responsible for the actions of the unstable is a stretch.

All that said, ya, one shouldn't go out of there way to demonize. Way too much of that going around already.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH Yeah, it's not about persuading them, it's about making them feel like it's a comfortable environment for then to harass people.

Buuuut anyways, back on topic, What do people think about rumors that the new Switch revision will still use Mariko as a chip? It was on the front page today if anyone didn't see.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Who reported it?

If it was bloomberg or one of the Asian media companies who reported the Lite, I buy it. If it's just a leak... not so sure.

But it wouldn't surprise me. I never expected the revision to be some major jump anyways. Next gen we'll see the jump. This revision, I'm just hoping for slightly better framerates and res not tanking as low.

Ralizah

All I'll say is this: China absolutely deserved criticism early on for trying to hide the severity of the virus from the world, but once it left China, it became the responsibility of the world. Some world leaders have risen to the challenge and helped control the severity of the outbreak. Others have struggled, but done so without malice. And then some have ignored it, downplayed it, lied about it, and/or actively helped it to spread unchecked in the general population, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people who didn't need to die to it.

And no, the virus being a bioweapon is a stupid conspiracy theory that was debunked very early on last year. There's a reason only right-wing grifters are continuing to push the idea.

With that said, @Guest88 , it's not unusual for hardware to be difficult to obtain immediately after launch. The Nintendo Switch was sold out for months after launch, which, as we can all agree, wasn't affected by the pandemic. There's also evidence that demand for these new consoles is sky-high. Which isn't to say the pandemic didn't obviously strain things more, because it obviously did, but I think they'd be difficult to obtain this soon after launch either way.

And the PS4 is still popular and selling reasonably well in the UK. The Switch outselling everything else combined in that market, which has traditionally not been a strong one for Nintendo, is still impressive and points to likely huge numbers. Crazy to think Wii numbers seemed like a pipe dream at launch, and now Wii numbers are, like, a worst-case scenario for Nintendo at this point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

Don't really know if this Switch revision is worth upgrading towards since I'm already trying to get a PS5, but the info leaked through the datamine sounds plausible enough. Nothing too fancy, it definitely doesn't sound like a whole generation leap forward like a lot of people were hyping up. Definitely more of a PS4 Pro to PS4 situation. A 4K capable dock does sound cool though as someone in ownership of a 4K TV that only really gets taken advantage of with anything but gaming since I own just the base PS4 and not the Pro

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry PS4 Pro to PS4 would be more of a downgrade, right?

Anyone expecting anything more than a New Nintendo 3DS-style mid-gen refresh is deluded, IMO. A few games designed to run better on the newer hardware will benefit (again, I'm expecting MH to be marketed heavily alongside the Pro hardware if it turns out to be real), but 90% of the library, including a lot of the big exclusives, will likely run identically. Ports downgraded for the Switch are generally optimized for the original hardware, so only games with dynamic resolution support or unlocked framerates would potentially see a boost.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Maybe right wing grifters are pushing it's a "bioweapon", I dont doubt that- ideologues always tend to push narratives that benefit their own. But I dont think the claim said anything about being a "weapon". I believe the claim simply said they were researching strains (which they were, that's a provable fact) and created a new strain (why, who knows, scientists are always doing questionable stuff behind closed doors- just look at eugenics).

So "weapon" Idk anything about. That does sound like conspiracy (not to say its impossible- anyone who thinks biological and chemical warfare isnt real hasn't studied World War 1).

So ya, as far as the claim made, it's not like a real Chinese virologist didnt make the claims. It's not like it was some extremist on a forum who conjured up some conspiracy. There was legitimate evidence presented by a Chinese scientist which was grounds for suspicion. Maybe it turned out to be false (which I'm not saying it is or isn't- you seem pretty confident but I haven't yet seen any hard evidence to refute it-, then again I havent looked beyond a scientific article way beyond my level of understanding saying its impossible to be manufactured, and another with science way above my head saying its impossible to be natural lol... so if you can link me I'd appreciate it. I always seek the truth no matter who's "side's narrative" it benefits- I'm on nobody's side except the side of finding the truth), but when a Chinese virologist who worked on coronavirus strains makes a claim, it would be irresponsible to not at least test the claim to see if it's true. Because it's not really conspiracy. It's a claim. If it's not true then it's a false claim, and should be proven false with evidence.

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Even then at the end of the day the New 3DS is a much more favorable comparison to whatever this new Switch is considering the actual amount of New 3DS exclusive software is so miniscule that it can basically just be treated like any hardware refresh that happens halfway through a system's life. Same with other revisions of Nintendo handhelds like the DSi and even the Game Boy Color

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Cotillion

New 3DS was a good refresh. The SuperStable 3D was a nice fix and the C-stick and NFC being built into the system were good additions. Not many games made exclusive use of the added power, but it did speed up the system overall doing everything else.
These kind of QoL improvements are all I want or expect from a Switch revision (re: Pro) model.

Cotillion

JaxonH

Btw, I really appreciate the members on this site. I've had so many mature discussions about topics where people normally get emotionally attached to their opinions. I really enjoy discussion where different views are presented in a friendly discussion but without the ideological tunnel vision, and with an open mindedness to seek the truth without demonizing anyone with a different view.

I think we could solve world hunger if they put the NintendoLife forum members in charge of the world. We'd at least accomplish more than the current lot of top brass 😁

@link3710
Coprocessor?

That sounds like a dock helping to push higher graphical fidelity to me. Then again, I saw rjer going on about dual screens, something datamined showing an auxiliary screen which he thought was evidence they were going to make a 3DS like device. Which personally I find to be outrageous.

Idk what to think. I'm expecting a marginal bump like New 3DS got. And I need a Monster Hunter Rise themed Switch. I need it now.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH

https://apnews.com/article/9391149002

That's an AP piece summarizing why the virus likely developed naturally.

Here's a link to the paper referenced in the AP piece:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Here's a link to a critical and thorough review of Yan's paper by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security:
https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/our-work/pubs_archive...

Moreover, the same set of people you were referencing (Yan et al) authored a paper alleging that the virus was, in fact, a Chinese bioweapon. Refer to:
https://zenodo.org/record/4073131#.X_d2iNhKiUk

It's a given that neither of us are virologists who have studied the virus personally and come to our own conclusions based on first-hand evidence. With that said, I'm willing to trust multiple respected professionals in the field who have studied it and said it originated naturally over clearly politically motivated actors with links to Steve Bannon.

@TheFrenchiestFry Game Boy Color was a big upgrade when you consider how nearly every game benefited from being played on it to some degree, and the multiple exclusive titles it enjoyed. It was far ahead of the DSi, New 3DS, and other refreshes in terms of the support it received.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic