Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,101 to 53,120 of 53,700

Giancarlothomaz

@Magician what?!Bandai Namco helped in the development of ARMS?, i only trough they helped with Smash and now New Pokémon Snap.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

JaxonH

Japanese Nintendo gamers really do conform to the “Nintendo fans only care about 1st party games” stereotype. It’s getting a little better, but only a little. In fact, it seems like Switch is actually doing worse in that regard than 3DS. At least in Japan.

Truth be told, there was a time that was true for basically all regions (and people tend to have a lot of explanations as to why, but be that as it may, it is what it is), but Switch has changed that. A lot of Nintendo gamers who used to only play Nintendo exclusives have started to become more open minded toward 3rd party games.

I only hope Monster Hunter Rise sees the interest it deserves. Feels like non-Switch gamers are salty it’s Switch exclusive and are opting for the ostrich approach, while many Switch gamers seem to have been more interested in having an exclusive MH for bragging rights than to actually play it (articles about World not coming to Switch garnered a much larger response than the announcement for MH Rise coming to Switch). Can’t help but wonder how the reveal trailer on YT is still only at 800k views, despite MH World trailer at 12x that and even MH4U hitting 4x that. That trailer should be at 3-4 million views right now. Even Pikmin 3 Deluxe is at 1.5 mil.

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: Cyberpunk 2077
PS5: Demons Souls
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH Regarding the trailer... Even I haven't watched that yet, and I usually watch every trailer. But afaik, it's the same trailer that was in the direct, at TGS, they showed on Twitch, and also (I think) was duplicated between Capcom and Nintendo's channels. While that's still low, I suspect it's not quite as unexposed as it sounds.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
The Nintendo one only has like 300k. And it was in the Direct which is 1.1 mil, but I imagine there’s quite a bit of overlap from excited fans. Maybe 2 mil tops if nearly every combined view is independent.

But ya, it’s concerning how low it is. I have seen a lot of non-Switch gamers saying they’re buying a Switch for it, but the problem is, it’s not enough. Usually comments in videos with 20k views. So many non-switch gamers are ignoring it, that the word isn’t getting out. Even on the MH reddit, the daily active members plummeted from roughly 3500 to 2500, as soon as it was announced as a Switch exclusive. As if people just said, “Nope, not touching Switch, don’t care how much I love Monster Hunter”. Elitism is very real.

Seems PS and Xbox gamers are much less open minded about playing on Switch than vise versa. Not that there weren’t some MH fans on the Nintendo side who did the same with World, but I think the vast majority of veteran fans clearly did play World, even if it meant buying a console to do so. Because we, as true fans, have always gone wherever the series goes.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Timing, don't forget the September Partner Showcase was the day after the PS5 event. Perhaps got buried under the backlash about PS5 games coming to PS4 and preorders being a gigantic mess.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
If that were the case, one would expect the viewcount to simply have a lag. But it’s slowed to 2-3k per day on average. Which I guess is better than stagnating entirely but, at that rate it’s only looking at 300-500k additional impressions before launch.

I think part of the issue is Nintendo sites and content creators not treating it with the respect it deserves. Pretty much all the big Nintendo Youtubers gave it a casual mention when it was released, and then moved on. When more news broke at TGS, nobody cared. All we got was half a dozen Hyrule Warriors vids back to back. Nintendo fans are grossly under valuing the game.

Capcom were running ads on YT after release like they did for World, but unlike World where it caught everyone’s attention, it did little to nothing to boost Rise’s visibility.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH All I'll say is that it's supremely telling that NIS feels confident in pushing away Sony for Disgaea 6's Western release, but, for the Japanese release, they developed a PS4 version. D5 Complete saw amazing Western sales, but I'm willing to bet the PS4 release probably sold better in Japan.

Regarding MH Rise, I think the "Wow!" factor of its production values and ambition contributed to World's meteoric popularity. The Iceborne expansion hasn't made nearly as much of a splash, and I'm willing to bet a full on World sequel would follow suit. With that said, there's no way the game doesn't rip apart the charts in Japan on release, and it'll likely sell well to Western Switch owners. Even Generations Ultimate sold decently, and that was a port of a 3DS game.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

JaxonH

@Ralizah
True. I expect a lot of buzz for MH Rise near and at release. It’s all any of us will be talking about come late March (aside from Nintendo financials the following week). It’s also true the initial wow factor of finally seeing a big budget Monster Hunter has subsided, and the next console entry, while hype, won’t generate the same kind of buzz (which as you mentioned, is already evident with Iceborn, which fell back in line with normal statistical trends of series sales for the most part, in fact, arguably less since it barely sold 1m more than Freedom Unite and Generations despite 3 separate platforms as a AAA release sold as DLC).

Disgaea 6 is case in point for the JP/western split within the Switch fanbase. Idk what it is about our Japanese Switch brethren, but they take a rather hardline stance with 3rd parties.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I don't know, I could see MH Rise buried by lots of discussions about the limited time releases being gone in a few days and perhaps Zelda 35th anniversary celebrations. How well the rumoured new hardware runs already existing games too if it does indeed launch alongside MH Rise.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Giancarlothomaz

is Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild considered a Soft reboot/reboot of the franchise?considering it timeline placement and how drastic the game is considered to previous Zelda games?

i like HD Rumble.

Ryu_Niiyama

@Giancarlothomaz It is considered far enough in Hyrule’s future that the time line happened but has no impact on the current world beyond Ganon refusing to stay dead. The link between the triforce bearers is well known enough that the Princess of Destiny (Zelda) is prepared/protected/trained each generation in case she is the unlucky one to get stuck with Ganon’s revival. This actually makes up part of the character arc conflict between Zelda, Link and King Rhoam (with some impact on others as well). The past legend is also known well enough that Ganon will consistently plague the world enough for the Sheikah to have developed tech to fight him, for that tech to fall into ruin and for the modern Sheikah to try to bring it back (and we know how that worked). Aonuma-san says it is a secret (something Miyamoto-dono has done before if I am not mistaken).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-22...

BotW was heavily inspired by the first LoZ game (and shows a symbolic passing of the torch in some of the official artwork) and even takes a similar narrative approach of being much later in the timeline to allow the game to be influenced by the Zelda mythos but not bound by it.

Basically all the games are still valid but are very ancient myths by the time the 100 years before BoTW war (the actual start of BoTW and focus of the new warriors game) happens.

I think soft reboot isn’t the best way to think of it as in some ways it is a return to its roots. However a 30+ year history and fandom expectations can weigh a franchise down. So I think Aonuma-san just wanted to make a great Zelda game without worrying as much as to where it fits into a timeline that was conceived later in the series’ lifetime.

I personally feel the first game is still at the end of the timeline as Ganon is finally defeated but I mean the dude has been resurrected as a mindless zombie a few times, plus in BoTW Demise/Ganon just said “bump it” and came back as a cosmic horror rather than trying to wear the skin of a human. I do hope they eventually put him in a Hylian body so the Gerudo don’t have to shoulder the stigma of birthing him (I feel like if this was a real story, they’d start killing any son born to the tribe just so the world stays at peace) and to shake up the story.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
A new Switch launching day and date would be the best possible thing to happen to Monster Hunter. It would be the showcase release, and a lot of people would pick it up alongside a new system.

But ya, people seem obsessed with this whole limited release stuff. Even though everyone has plenty of time to buy if they want it. Yet another one of those, "it won't actually affect any of us, but we're gonna complain for the sake of the hypothetical stranger that might theoretically miss out" ordeals.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Giancarlothomaz

@Ryu_Niiyama i see so Eji Aonuma proporsely make the timeline of Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, so this game could not be overshadow by Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time?(still considered by many the definiteve Legend of Zelda) well lets hope and expect Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 managed to become the best game of the franchise and finaly top Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time as the definitive Legend of Zelda, and i don't think like many people expect that Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 will gonna see the definitive end of Demise Curse(people will riot if this happen)Ganondorf/Ganon is a villain to iconic and important to have it definitive end on Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2(this is like killing Bowser definetely for the Mario series).

i like HD Rumble.

Ryu_Niiyama

@Giancarlothomaz Well more the entire 3 decades of history rather than one game. Aonuma-san has never seemed haunted by OoT by any means. I mean he started work on the series as a co director for OoT, so I don’t think and he has never stated in any interviews that I’ve seen that he needs to one up that particular game.

My own view is he wanted a bit of freedom overall but I think that he was also inspired by the game Miyamoto-dono wanted to make in LoZ but was limited by tech. The original game was a sprawling but devastated world in design if not in presentation. I am a little too young to have played LoZ when it came out but I imagine at the time it must have felt massive. I certainly remember LttP and OoT feeling that way.

OoT has hit sacred cow status. It was great but I personally enjoyed LttP, MM and TP better (not ranking BotW until I beat it again).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

This is so dope

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH nice you can pet the cat, Can you Pet the Dog need to see this, this is so adorable and cutie.

i like HD Rumble.

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Not just pet the cat, but do secret custom handshakes with them.

And of course you can pet the dog! As well as shake hands, put treats on their snout, everything!

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Shadowthrone

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm old enough to have played the original Zelda when it was pretty new and it did indeed feel that way at the time. It was a huge, sprawling world that was just open to explore and at the time the presentation was on point, only marred by translation issues (as was common at the time). BotW was truly a callback to that for me.

@Giancarlothomaz I believe Aonuma-san is on record saying the timeline placement is a 'secret' because he likes that people interpret it in their own way. Some people make claims and show evidence from each of the timelines that it could be from (heck, I've even read theories on how the timelines have somehow merged back together by the time of BotW). This is also kind of a return to what Zelda was for a long time - a legend. While you could piece together a timeline yourself, it never always made sense (like ALttP, you could place before the original prior to the official timeline being made, but ALttP also says at the end that Ganon is completely destroyed, yet he returns and even has a part of the Triforce and invades Hyrule?). The official timeline was, in part, only put together because so many people demanded it and Nintendo had to start having this stuff make sense by adding more to the times in between games. I don't believe Nintendo really had any set plan or timeline when they made OoT for having the timeline split. Nintendo always seemed to like leaving it open as a legend for people to interpret for themselves (also coupled with Miyamoto-sans on record feeling that story matters far less than the gameplay) and it was less binding for them to be tied to a set timeline of events, free to do whatever they wanted without constraint. I can see Nintendo trying to return to the ambiguous nature of leaving Zelda games as just that - a legend, except in the case of direct sequels. Personally, I'd be fine with that. It's a legend and legends are always open to interpretation.

Shadowthrone

Ryu_Niiyama

@Shadowthrone I suspected as much. I played LoZ after playing 3d dot heroes which pretty much lifts LoZ wholesale. And I remembered thinking that at the time when designing it LoZ must have been a massive overworld. I think some of that idea has been lost in the open world craze because some devs (ubisoft imo is notorious for this) forget that an overworld is filled with locales that play a role.

A game that is just empty space and does not function at least as a hub (hyrule field/Termina field) is a time waster. That’s why people fast travel all the time or don’t explore the whole map. I think Bethesda skirts it because the whole “you see that mountain? You can climb that mountain “ usually meant there was something on that mountain. Long time TES players know that the devs pepper the landscape with details (I remember in oblivion there was some random skeleton in a lake with a suicide note that had no bearing on the story at all and you could even play and never find it, but it was there if you did)but some openword games try to hard to mimic the real, full of uninhabitable or traversable places, world and just like me wandering the bottom of the Grand Canyon....there is little pay off.

BotW manages to keep the overworld aspect of zelda while letting the land tell the story similar to TES. Everytime I ran into a guardian, I wondered how many died trying to escape it as Hyrule’s defenses turned against it. Its that ability to use minimal scenery to spark you imagination to fill in the blanks that is a Miyamoto and Aonuma hallmark of game design. I adore Koizuma-san’s approach to storytelling, which gave us much of the rich history of Hyrule (and I think games after windwaker tried a little too hard to mimic his style and didn’t quite make it) but the almost D&D open story of 80s games allowed the gamer to fill in more of the blanks. (This coming from a woman that slept with the instruction manual to LttP under her pillow for a year because the drawings and slight story fascinated me, so I read it every night. ) BotW certainly tipped its hat to that.

That being said I like the LoZ approach to mythos. There are certain set pieces but they are more transitory titles that allow each version of the cast to be it’s own person. OoT Zelda was a revelation to me as a little girl. She set the pieces in play without having a ton of screen time and she both subverts and plays the DID and makes herself as important as Link in the series going forward. She aids Link as Sheik (with the implication that she avoids capture for seven years while training to become a Sheikah warrior), she is the leader of the sages and the final bearer of the triforce (of Wisdom) and she both gives Link the power needed to subdue Ganon and seals Ganondorf along with her fellow sages. Then she is powerful enough to set Link’s childhood back to normal (well for him considering his backstory). This has allowed Zelda to be a strong lead as well as powerful enough that her role is a burden on some of the other Zelda’s from a character perspective (SS, WW and BotW in particular).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic