Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 52,981 to 53,000 of 53,702

StuTwo

@JaxonH I think you're overlooking just how much there is to do - often in very tight time constraints. You have a different button to press for your whistle, when you throw a Pikmin a certain distance they can become "deactivated" if there's nothing for them to do, if you're using a controller the second stick allows you to rotate the mass of Pikmin around you. All of these things require a bit of accumulated "video game literacy" to navigate. It isn't massively complex but it's got more in there than - say - Mario and - like all RTS - it has tons happening all at once, which in Pikmin & Pikmin 3 is compounded by the meta survival stress of the game structure.

@link3710 I know - but I think it has a very different target audience. Zelda and Splatoon are deliberately targeting experienced players who are expected to know what they're doing. Stylistically the graphics and presentation in those games reflects that. It doesn't quite with Pikmin in the same way - it's not "babies first RTS" but superficially it looks like that.

I think it's a franchise that could go off in a lot of different directions without losing the core of what makes it great. I just hope that Nintendo really does have Pikmin 4 planned. It's one of those games that they should always be planning to properly service their fanbase - whether it makes Animal Crossing money or not.

I also think it's probably one of the Nintendo IPs that's best placed to be adapted beyond videogames because it has such a strong visual style, distinctive humour and, for Nintendo, a strong but not oppressively excessive narrative (a Pikmin film for instance would work well).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

JaxonH

@StuTwo
If multiple 5 year olds can play it and love it I dont think there's gonna be any issues. Unless it's a 3 year old trying to play, and I dont think they're trying to sell the game to 3 year olds.

Kids catch on more than you think. And even if they dont, they still love and have fun playing. Countless 5 and 6 year olds who play Zelda BotW and just have fun running around.

Not to mention, the bulk of sales will be from people older than 5 anyways.

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: Cyberpunk 2077
PS5: Demons Souls
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX

Jesus is Lord.

ToadBrigade

@Grumblevolcano oh yeah, this is just fantastic. I am sure that “yahaha!” sound didn’t give anyone PTSD.

On another note, I am still undecided on Pikmin 3. I haven’t had time to play the demo, but I remember playing the original on my friends GC, and having a lot of fun drowning hundreds of Pikmin at once (I had a dark sense of humor, ok?). I think the gameplay loop looks pretty addictive though, and I do need a fresh multiplayer game with my family. The real question for me is whether or not I would get enough time out of it to make it worth the 60 bucks.

Hollow Knight for Smash!

link3710

@ToadBrigade Well, here's the breakdown:

1. Story mode - Around 15-20 hours for a typical playthrough. Can be done in co-op. Multiple difficulties encourage additional playthroughs.
2. Side Stories - We don't know how long this will take to beat. I'm wagering around 10 hours perhaps? Also Co-op.
3. Mission Mode - These are standalone missions. With all the DLC ones included, that's 30 missions. Each is only 5-15 minutes long, but they're scorechasers where you try and do the best you can. Still, even playing each one once is probably another 5-10 hours. These can also be played in co-op, I'm not sure if there's a separate set of goals for that.
4. Bingo Battles - This is the competitive multiplayer aspect. Hard to put a number on it, but basically you go head to head with another player (locally) to try and get bingo by obtaining items on a bingo board you get. The time you get out of it is up to how much you like it. There's 12 stages with 3 layouts each, and randomized spawns, so you won't ever get the same thing twice.

All in all, you're looking at around 30-40 hours to see all the games content (minimum probably, I'm low balling it since there's still a number of unknowns), all of which is local multiplayer in either co-op or versus.

link3710

ToadBrigade

@link3710 Thanks, that’s good to know. HowLongToBeat only says 20 hours for completionists, but I would guess that doesn’t take into account the type of game it is. I probably wouldn’t even consider buying it, except Nintendo decided not to make games this year besides ACNH and HW:AoC. I am probably going to get the latter, and already have all the other games released this year that I am interested in, but I didn’t know much about this one.

Hollow Knight for Smash!

ToadBrigade

Also planning on getting the fighter’s passes at some point, especially if Hollow Knight is announced. A man can dream!

Hollow Knight for Smash!

Heavyarms55

@StuTwo Honestly I agree. Pikmin is a hard series. There's a lot to learn and RTS games on console have always been less than ideal.

Pikmin is the kind of series that's really adored by it's smaller but dedicated fanbase but struggles somewhat to pull in new people.

However the Switch has a huge install base at this point, what, like 67 million? Pikmin 3 on Switch will have a huge swath of potential new players. And there's more hard-core gamers playing Switch compared to the much more casual larger install base that the Wii had.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JaxonH

Just taking some time to ponder, and I was thinking about how much I love Nintendo Switch games. Like, really, really love them. To the point I feel like it’s the only platform I ever need.

I can’t get enough of this Pikmin 3 demo, for starters. I want to replay the mission mode stage and get a better time, hopefully get all the fruit under 7 minutes to clear it without using After Hours. I feel like I could get an hour or two of playtime just from this one level. The entire game? I could probably play it for years on and off, just getting better times in mission mode. This game is so incredible- I struggle to think of a single game I’d rather be playing on another platform. Then the Kingdom Hearts demo- I’m really excited for that game now. It’s not gonna win any awards but, playing it on the Switch Lite is a really special experience.

Then I remember Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, my favorite 2D platformer ever made. There’s nothing that even comes close in the genre, although New Super Mario Bros U is a respectable 2nd place. And Rayman Legends a close 3rd. And Mario Maker 2 is very good. Nothing else like it. The 2D platformer offerings on Switch are incredible.

And of course there’s Zelda Breath of the Wild. Watching a Twitch stream today helped me relive just how much I love that game. One of my all time faves. And Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity and Zelda BotW 2 on deck is just even more to love.

And there’s Mario Odyssey, one of the best 3D platformers I’ve ever played. It’s so good. There’s just no other 3D Platformer that even comes close. And Mario 3D Collection adds another 3 of the best 3D platformers, and Mario 3D World is right around the corner, which I probably rate just as highly as Mario Odyssey.

And there’s Splatoon 2, my favorite competitive shooter I’ve ever played. Overwatch was pretty fun but it wasn’t in the same league. There’s nothing else out there that can provide the experience you get in Splatoon.

And Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Simply put, the best kart racer ever made, hands down. And Smash Bros, not my favorite fighting game of all time, but it’s still a really special game. My favorite fighter, believe it or not, is Ultra Street Fighter II. I grew up on SFII Turbo, so that game really hit a special chord with me. Especially using the Hori fight stick.

And let’s not forget Fire Emblem Three Houses. One of my favorite games this generation, and one of the the best strategy games I’ve ever played. Of course, there’s also Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyria Cheonicles 4 and Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and XCOM 2 and Civilization VI, which basically comprise all the best strategy games money can buy. A special honor to Mario Rabbids though. That game is muah! Chef’s kiss.

And there’s Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain (and soon Bayonetta 3). The best action games I’ve ever played.

We’ve got Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps, two of my favorite Metroidvanias of all time. Up there with DKC Tropical Freeze, honestly. I just consider these games a different genre.

We’ve got Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, One of my favorite games ever made, even if it isn’t quite as good as MH World with Iceborn included. But that’s no worry, because we’ve also got Monster Hunter Rise in just 22 weeks! And it looks to be competing for GOAT. And as if that weren’t enough, Monster Hunter Stories 2 is looking fabulous.

We’ve got Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Cbronicles 2, the first of which is my all time fave JRPG. And hopefully their new project isn’t too far off, or a port of Xenoblade X.

We’ve got Bravely Default 2 and Shin Megami Tensei V due out in the next 12 months, both of which will likely be some of the best JRPGs of the generation. Not to mention SMT3 HD, Trails of Cold Steel IV to go along with Trails of Cold Steel III, and YS IX to follow up YS VIII. And with Dragon Quest XI S, No No Kuni, Octopath Traveler, Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Final Fantasy XII, the JRPG lineup is immaculate.

We’ve got Okami HD with motion and touch controls, multiple Resident Evil games with gyro, Trials Rising (one of my all time faves), Dragon Quest Builders 2 which I love to death, Cuphead, Dragons Dogma, Hades, Hollow Knight and Silksong, Steamworld Dig 2, Luigis Mansion 3, over 25 Mega Man titles, Skyrim with gyro, Zelda Links Awakening, Paper Mario, Pokémon Sword/Shield, DOOM and soon DOOM Eternal, Witcher 3, Borderlands 2 and PreSequel with gyro, 4 mainline Assassins Creed games with gyro... And there’s more, MUCH more.

All on a hybrid handheld system... I love it. I absolutely love it. Playing games in handheld mode while chilling in the leather recliner is one of my favorite ways to enjoy games. It’s so much more personal than playing games on the TV. Not that I don’t like playing on the TV also- I totally do. I like both. But that’s what makes it so awesome- I can actually do BOTH! And to think, we’ve still got another 3 strong years left of games before the Switch runs out of gas. This will truly be my favorite system of all time. I mean, it already is. Even now. But once everything is said and done, it’s going to be even better. Admittedly, the Switch really benefitted from Nintendo being able to port over most of the Wii U library. So not only did it get its own games but it got basically an entire generation’s worth of exclusives extra on top of that. But they are great games and even better on a hybrid handheld. If Switch 2 has BC it’s gonna be the ultimate gaming device.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX

Jesus is Lord.

Giancarlothomaz

my Villagers Maple e Rhonda has just make a very sugestive conversation with me about lets cook a Blueberry Pie for you, Nintendo stop teasing me like that and give to us already the Cooking mechanics, if i know how to post Pictures here i could show you what sugestive dialogue about Cooking i just got.

i like HD Rumble.

Giancarlothomaz

@Grumblevolcano oh no!prepare everyone when you got all Korok Seeds in this game, here your reward a huge piece of crap(that not a joke)i have PTSD by this Yahaha.

i like HD Rumble.

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH agree Switch is now my favorite Nintendo console(my other favorite Nintendo console is the Gamecube)after i played the Switch(first my cousin Switch)and now my own Switch(i have them since decembre 4th of 2019)i fell in love with this console,and i can't return to a dedicated home console or Handheld console like DS/Wii or even a PlayStation, i will also add to your list of amazing games and future Nintendo Switch releases,Luigi Mansion 3, Metroid Prime 4, playing my Switch become almost as a routine, when i have my Wii, DS and 3DS, i played they games and switched between them or played rarely them, since i have completed them all, and i very critique in regards what games i want to play in my consoles, plus in Brazil(where i live),games are very expensive, so i can't buy Hyrule Warriors:Age of Calamity followed by Monster Hunter Rise i a wanted, since most games in Brazil Costa up to R$400.00 or more, i love Switch since i don't have the restraint of be staying in my Bedroom and i can take my Switch to my country House, and play with my cousin, Switch is amazing for that and is amazings games you mentioned.

i like HD Rumble.

Octane

@link3710 @StuTwo One thing I did notice is that the controls in the Switch version are more complex than on the Wii U. The whistle is too big IMO. I guess it's easier if you want to grab all of them at once, but it makes it harder to grab only a few. Additionally, whistling for a short amount of time doesn't call them anymore, it only stops what they are doing. This is rather complex, and you really need to get the hang of it if you want to use it the way it is intended to. I feel that these are ''advanced'' controls, but there is not option that allows you to go back to the ''standard'' controls.

Likewise there is a new option to call all Pikmin on the map back to your base. But it now shares the same button as the character switch button. So you have to press Y (iirc), and then select a character on the d-pad. It feels a lot slower than on the Wii U. The new feature is nice, but I don't know if it's necessary, and it adds an additional button press to character swapping, something you'll be doing a lot.

I can definitely understand if the controls turn people off, because compared to Pikmin 1, the controls have become more complicated, with more features. Some of them are nice, but I think all of it can be streamlined a lot more. We don't need all of these features. Or maybe offer different control setups, like a standard and advanced.

Octane

StuTwo

JaxonH wrote:

@StuTwo
If multiple 5 year olds can play it and love it I dont think there's gonna be any issues. Unless it's a 3 year old trying to play, and I dont think they're trying to sell the game to 3 year olds.

Kids catch on more than you think. And even if they dont, they still love and have fun playing. Countless 5 and 6 year olds who play Zelda BotW and just have fun running around.

Not to mention, the bulk of sales will be from people older than 5 anyways.

I know that 5 or 6 year olds can handle "hard" games (as a child I cut my teeth at that age finishing TMNT and Castlevania). I also know plenty of children of that sort of age who've played dozens upon dozens of hours of Minecraft etc. I have young children myself though and I know that most at that age (and older if they've not played many games when younger) really struggle as soon as the controls go beyond two buttons.

Someone on the 3D All Stars Thread (my apologies I can't recall who and I don't have the time to go through the thread just now) said something like (I'm paraphrasing) watching an intelligent capable adult friend who didn't game much try to play Mario 64 was like watching someone try to juggle whilst balancing on a beach ball. It absolutely rings true to me. Pikmin in all it's guises has much more going on than Mario 64.

@Heavyarms55 I think it's that sometimes we forget that on this forum we are in a bubble. By definition we are not "normal" - just to be commenting on here means that we are more involved with (and likely more experienced) Nintendo games than 99% of the population.

Pikmin 3 is for "us". I hope it sells well and expands its audience so that there are more of "us" and we get more games like Pikmin but I can see the obstacles in the way of that. Principally the fact that it's a busy game with controls that are quite involved.

The threat hanging over you that you can potentially lose 10-15 hours of progress if you run out of fruit is also a problem (again - probably no-one on this forum saw the game over screen or came close in this or the original Pikmin but I guarantee that a lot of people out there did).

StuTwo

Octane

@StuTwo If you get a game over screen in Pikmin you probably did deserve it

Octane

StuTwo

@Octane I'm sure! No one should ever see the Pikmin 3 one.

...but I'm still certain that many people do see it after they accidentally drown all their yellow Pikmin or burn all their blue Pikmin at an inopportune moment early on.

Even if they don't actually game over though - the stress that it provides just by existing in the background can be off-putting for some players (I'm sure this stress turned a lot of people off the original Pikmin).

StuTwo

JaxonH

@StuTwo
I don’t think the controls are that hard. More than Mario? Sure. But Civilization VI this is not.

Even if some of the extremely young players do end up drowning Pikmin or what have you, it’s not going to stop them from playing or enjoying themselves. How young do you have to be to not be able to handle the controls in Pikmin which is like four buttons? Because I’m pretty sure if you’re 8 years old or more it’s not going to be any problem whatsoever, so the percentage of potential players where this would be an issue is going to be a negligible percent, and even then, they’ll have fun with it as I read with many accounts of peoples’ five-year-old kids.

It’s really not that complicated. Doesn’t mean everyone’s going to be good at the game. Of course new players struggle with Mario and they’ll probably struggle with Pikmin too, but that doesn’t mean they’re not going to play it or enjoy it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

StuTwo

@JaxonH I don't think Pikmin is rocket science (although it does kind of literally have you rebuild a rocket...) but there is a lot going on. In Pikmin 3 you have three troops of Pikmin (in 5 different colours) in different places at the same time. The four buttons might not seem like a lot but the complexity is enough that you can accidentally kill an hour or two of progress completely by accident.

Honestly I know - from watching my own children - that 4 button games are a lot to handle. That doesn't mean they won't have fun with a game - they will - but it's not as immediate, it risks hitting a "frustration wall" pretty quickly and it has to compete with free one button (often touch) HTML games.

I don't think this is just a problem with kids under the age of 10 either. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is good but rote... and it's one of the best selling games of all time. Mario Galaxy is incredible... and it sold OK. There's a reason for that and a lot of it is complexity of control. It pushes away a lot of adults at the same time as it locks out many children.

It's something I'd particularly bring up with the Pikmin games because I think it's a game that from a graphical and art design perspective should be particularly well placed to appeal to a casual audience.

Whilst I'm sure it's not the thing that would make people on this forum buy or not buy Pikmin 3 I'm just slightly disappointed that there's been no attempt to insert MK8 DX style accessibility options. I'm not just thinking about @Octane 's advanced and basic controls idea - I'm thinking that for Pikmin 3 difficulty options to fully automate the AI of the other troops or to turn off the day-night cycle or to always have an infinite supply of Pikmin in the onions might not have been a bad idea.

Basically "Funky mode" might have found a big audience here.

StuTwo

Octane

@StuTwo @JaxonH I don't know if you can blame the lack of success solely on the controls. Not many people played the games, so I don't think there's enough people to be turned off by the controls. If it got bad reviews, maybe. Not every game is for everyone, I think the problem with Pikmin has a lot to do with the fact that its main entries were on the GameCube and the Wii U, and the lack of advertising. It's not a Mario game or a Zelda game, so it'll never get the same treatment from Nintendo, understandably. But I think that these are the main reasons why it hasn't had that 3+ million sales mainstream success.

Now the big question is whether Pikmin 4 will appear on the Switch or not. If Pikmin 3 does decently this time, but Nintendo delays Pikmin 4 until the Switch successor, it's entirely on them. Ideally 3 would've been released a lot sooner and we'd be playing 4 by now. I fear that the release of 3 may only delay the release of 4. But we shall see. I think it also would've helped if we got a collection of 1, 2 and 3, instead of only 3. Newcomers may skip this game if they haven't played the first two. So if you're going to introduce new people to the franchise, do it the right way, and give them everything. We're only talking about 3 games anyway.

Octane

Giancarlothomaz

here the sugestive dialogue that i have with my Villagers Maple e Rhonda yesterday(stop be naught, this is not what you are thinking dirty mind), watch this dialogue and tell me this is not a very sugestive dialogue about the rumored and highly anticipated Cooking mechanics.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=347643946306733&a...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=347638756307252&a...

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

ToadBrigade

Giancarlothomaz wrote:

my Villagers Maple e Rhonda has just make a very sugestive conversation with me about lets cook a Blueberry Pie for you, Nintendo stop teasing me like that and give to us already the Cooking mechanics, if i know how to post Pictures here i could show you what sugestive dialogue about Cooking i just got.

I did a double take when you said your villagers were having suggestive conversations with you 😂

Hollow Knight for Smash!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic