Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,001 to 53,020 of 55,026

Giancarlothomaz

check out 8 voice actor that could voice Ganondorf in Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 he have dialogue in the game, what Voice actor you think is the perfect fit to voice Ganondorf in Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2?

i like HD Rumble.

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 No one has ever complained about Dark Souls' story. It doesn't have one. In fact people actually praised the fact it employed minimalist storytelling but had lots of lore that the player can go out of their way to find should they want to do so.

The problem with BOTW is that the story was actually built up pre-release to be something greater in scope than it actually ended up being. It was a major focus of the final trailer before the game came out and it actually looked like Nintendo was attempting to pull off a mature, narrative driven game to compliment its obvious sense of scope and freedom in gameplay

I wasn't expecting Metal Gear levels of intricate complexity but I didn't expect it to feel like as much of an afterthought next to the gameplay as it ended up being

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

BotW is ingenious in the way it tethers increased character development and story cutscenes to exploration. Besides allowing the land to tell its own story, I always felt like I was on the cusp of learning something new about people in the game. Also, there's the persistent presence of environmental puzzles, being able to climb everything, shrines, etc.

Dark Souls was TOO plotless and cryptic. Bloodborne, too. Those games feel like someone designed the bare gameplay elements but shipped the game out before the music, storytelling (even almost entirely plotless games typically give the player a reason to do what they're doing), dialogue, etc. was finished.

@JaxonH The hunters in this game seem very relatably human, between the increased interactivity and the voice clips. It's... weird, but I don't dislike it.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Super Mario Galaxy/Piczle Lines DX (Switch)
Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

kkslider5552000

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

No one has ever complained about Dark Souls' story. It doesn't have one. In fact people actually praised the fact it employed minimalist storytelling but had lots of lore that the player can go out of their way to find should they want to do so.

The problem with BOTW is that the story was actually built up pre-release to be something greater in scope than it actually ended up being. It was a major focus of the final trailer before the game came out and it actually looked like Nintendo was attempting to pull off a mature, narrative driven game to compliment its obvious sense of scope and freedom in gameplay

I wasn't expecting Metal Gear levels of intricate complexity but I didn't expect it to feel like as much of an afterthought next to the gameplay as it ended up being

1. So Dark Souls doesn't have a story but it has lore and thus story...telling. what?

2. But I do agree that the marketing made the story seem far more of a major focus of BOTW than it should have. Doubly a shame since the big story trailer they brought out was one of Nintendo's best ever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@kkslider5552000 Ok it's not like it doesn't have a story, but it's EXTREMELY basic. It's almost 80's Nintendo levels of basic. I'm pretty sure Sekiro was the first FromSoft game I can actually recall where they actually have some form of proper narrative with stuff like character dialogue and motivation, but Soulsborne games dating back to Demon's Souls have never had the deepest plots, but make up for it with the excessive amount of worldbuilding and lore that is prevalent throughout

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Beaucine

I think it's misleading to say the Souls games "make up" for a lack of plot via worldbuilding. It's more like they ditch plot altogether to focus entirely on lore and environmental storytelling. It's still storytelling, though, in a way that videogames are uniquely equipped for. There's also a very direct throughline of mutual inspiration, from the original Zelda to Ico and Shadow of Colossus to Dark Souls and back to Zelda (with the release of Breath of the Wild). All of them are relatively light on plot and heavy on using the environment (and item descriptions, in the case of Dark Souls) to convey mood, narrative, and meaning. There are some indies that do this, too, quite effectively: Hyper Light Drifter and, especially, Hollow Knight.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

JaxonH

I actually agree about Dark Souls. There’s nothing wrong with the lore approach, it’s just different. Metroid Prime kind of follows the same formula.

And... I actually kind of agree about Zelda being light on story. But at the same time, given the structure of the game, it makes sense they did it how they did. It could have used a little more emphasis imo, but on a scale of 1 to 10, each game has a certain balance of story that makes sense for that game. I think Zelda should be a 5, and BotW was around a 3. So ya, it could have used a little more emphasis, but only a little. It’s a gameplay focused game, after all.

And even so, it’s still one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. A bit more story, a bit more dungeons, and I dare say it would be the closest thing to a perfect video game there ever was.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise demo
PC: -----
PS5: -----
EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise

Jesus is Lord.

kkslider5552000

I think it hit an awkward halfway point where it had not enough story (traditional narrative) to live up to previous Zelda games (especially with the increased size of the game), but too much to just be a game storyabout its world and storytelling in the environment. Not quite Twilight Princess, not quite Shadow of the Colossus.

Though I'd also be cool with the opposite approach, and make a narrative heavy Zelda (maybe not as an open world game). Some of the better Zelda games have solid enough writing and have enough to them that you could make something closer to a JRPG and other story driven games like that in terms of a focus on plot. I'm not sure they SHOULD necessarily, but it feels like they have talented enough writers (and localizers as it were) to pull it off.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

toiletduck

@JaxonH It's also a matter of taste. I'm more often than not bothered by the story and plot. Example: in Horizon Zero Dawn the cutscenes followed each other so fast and were so long that it felt more like watching a movie than playing a game. I had a similar vibe during parts of Paper Mario: Origami King. Often when you skip the cutscenes out of boredom, you miss an assential clue of what to do next.

In BOTW's case, it was just perfect for me. The fact that I wasn't forced into long cut scenes, I never skipped any and I actually got immersed into the world and its (hidden) stories (kinda like @Ralizah explains). So for me the story (or lack thereof) was just perfect. Not having too much of story actually adds to the replayability for me, since the game isn't spoiled once you know the ending.

Of course I realize that this is just my opinion and that most people like a more meaty story.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

TheFrenchiestFry

I seriously wish people would stop using Witcher 3 as a source of comparison for graphically intensive games being able to run on Switch.

Firstly, it's still an Xbox One/PS4 game just like DOOM and Wolfenstein, and like those games, resolution wise it looks far from ideal especially in TV mode, and the game still stutters a lot around crowded areas like towns with lots of NPCs

We're now getting into games like Cyberpunk and Hitman 3 that are actually designed with next gen consoles in mind. Cyberpunk coming from the same developer doesn't automatically mean it'll just run like butter on Switch because not only is it on a new engine, but it looks considerably more dense in terms of how the world's geometry and how many characters are populated within Night City looks as well.

Witcher 3 RUNS on Switch. That doesn't mean it wasn't compromised in a lot of areas to run on Switch. The same would probably apply to Control and Hitman if they were ported natively. Especially considering they're both considerably newer games, and Hitman isn't even out yet.

TheFrenchiestFry

ianl579

@kkslider5552000 Skyward Sword was more like this. I think BOTW's open world, exploration-focused design was in a large part due to the backlash SS recieved (though, as a fan of that game, I would love it if BOTW2 hewed closer to a story-driven experience).

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: Iconoclasts (Switch)

link3710

So I just realized, does anyone know if No More Heroes has all the bonus content from Heroes' Paradise included?

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 I believe they confirmed on the Nintendo website that NMH was based on the HD remaster

TheFrenchiestFry

WoomyNNYes

I hope NL has an Oceanhorn 2 review coming. That releases today. If it's a fun mediocre game, I might be into it.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Playing: Rocket League, and um.... Rocket League.

Magician

Hitman III and Control are getting cloud versions on Switch? That's money I'll be saving. Oh well, better than nothing for Switch-only owners I suppose. I was kind of hoping the cloud streaming stuff would've stayed Japan-only like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Resident Evil 7 were on Switch.

Switch Physical Collection - 700 games (as of January 21st, 2021)
Currently playing: Alliance Alive HD (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

TheFrenchiestFry

Devil May Cry 5: Cloud Edition. Now Switch owners do get all 5 games lmao

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry Sorry to be that guy, but what HD Remaster? I can't find any details of it via google. Only the Switch version shows up as a remaster.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 Oh I mean Heroes Paradise. The enhanced port of NMH1 that came out on Xbox 360 and PS3

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic