Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,001 to 53,020 of 69,964

Buizel

Octopath Traveller is great but does indeed have random encounters. However, there are ways to reduce their frequency and this can be done as early as the first few hours of the game.

It's a very traditional JRPG but does everything very, very well imo. In particular I think it nails atmosphere and has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in recent years. Plus the class system and ability to play character stories in any order really do wonders for the game imo.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

MPSSislit

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@rallydefault
I wonder if they'd bother adding a more traditional control scheme to SS. Although more then a few enemies factored in the level of control you had over your sword swings. But it's been a while (pretty much a decade) since I completed it, so maybe it'd be easier to adapt then I realize.

@DarthNocturnal
What I'm thinking they might do for SS HD (if it ever becomes a thing) is make it like Galaxy in 3D All-Stars where the original control setup is used on the Joy-Cons, but then have a more traditional control setup on the Pro Controller (i.e. Joy-Cons still used IR "pointer" for Star Bits, while Pro Controller used Gyro or the R-Stick for Star Bits).

Edited on by MPSSislit

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

BruceCM

Ah, I see, @NintendoByNature .... Well, it's bound to go on sale again, so you can get it another time! You're probably set for games for awhile, anyway

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Looking for another JRPG, preferably without random encounters (I preferred the 3D sections of DQXIS to the 2D sections) to help reduce the wait for 3D World/Bravely Default II/MH Rise. Any recommendations?

@Grumblevolcano

Final Fantasy XII, Atelier Ryza, either Xenoblade 1 or 2 and the expansion Torna.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

kkslider5552000

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I mostly just don't want to lose the QoL features both 3D remakes added. Boots as standard equipment in OoT, and MM allowing for more control over your time with the Song of Time's variants. Amoung other tweaks.

Ironically one of the things I've heard about from the Majora's Mask remake from people is that they went so overboard with QoL that they made parts of the game pointless and missed the point. Also, they ruined Zora swimming so objectively its worse than the original, discard it. :V

That being said, I can't imagine going back to a Wind Waker without the swift sail. That was like the iron boots on touch screen to make Water Temple tolerable in 3DS fix, but for like half the game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

I dont recall swimming being an issue in the remake, but its also been quite a while. I'll head back to it soon.

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

The changes to the swimming might have bothered crotchety fans of the original, but it made no difference to me as a new player. Additionally, the other QoL changes and visual improvements make MM3D the better experience, by far. I've gone back to the original (via the GC collection) since, and it just sucks in comparison to the remaster.

RE: Wind Waker HD, the biggest improvement was shortening the annoying Triforce shard hunting near the end compared to the original.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Magician

As I look at the PS Store, searching for games that would be good candidates for Switch ports, the list of games with a file size below 16GB is surprisingly thin. I've always maintained hope for a Tekken 7 Switch port, but that game has a file size bordering on 50GB. Seeing that, it suggests there's almost no chance of a Switch port. And that's a bitter pill to swallow.

CDPR's bank of good will with gamers was emptied with the release of Cyberpunk 2077. However, I am endlessly thankful for the Switch port of The Witcher III. But I can't help but feel that it is the last of the "miracle ports" for Switch owners. Even if the rumored Switch Pro is as powerful as a base PS4 we Switch owners still won't get GTA V, CoD, FF VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, etc.

Tired...rambling...thirsty for new Switch game announcements despite my backlog.

Appreciating the Switch like no other platform I've ever owned.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

link3710

@ToadBrigade @DarthNocturnal Majora's Mask main changes were adding permanent saves at Owl Statues (previously you could only suspend there, it wouldn't go back if you died) and a number of new owl statues were added, Save statues that were for saving only not warps are all new, Gyro aiming, tons of new Bomber's Notebook features, fishing, hint stones, most of the transformation attacks had QoL changes like Goron having a better combo or Deku aiming having a reticle, or Zora swimming. Plus, a new sidequest was added.

All those I (and most people) would count as positive changes. The main thing most people take issue with is the bosses, namely Odolwa got reworked into a standard 'expose the weakpoint' style boss instead of his insane (but fun) original version. Gyorg and Twinmold were both reworked as well.

I'd say Twinmold was better in N64 (though... Twinmold in the original was mediocre at best as well so that's not much of a loss), Gyorg and Odolwa in 3D, and Goht is identical in both. Mainly I'd like to see them take another shot at fixing Twinmold and Gyorg, since neither version is any fun really. Though, there are plenty of people who'll swear by the original boss fights to this day.

link3710

link3710

@Magician Keep in mind, that file size will inevitably be reduced on Switch since the assets won't be 4K ready (as are most of the games you mentioned, many of which probably have separate assets for Pro / Base model). Tekken 7 isn't... out of the question, though I could see it being a digital only release. And Soul Calibur VI is currently just 20 GB, 11GB at launch, so I could see it easily launching on cart with the DLC having to be downloaded.

...I think I'd prefer Tekken Tag 2 to be ported again over Tekken 7, but that's just me.

Also, Tony Hawk 1+2 and Crash 4 are probably coming, Tomb Raider may make an appearance still, Dishonored I + II are both small enough, DMC 5 is technically possible at just over 32GB, as well as the Batman Arkhams... KH 1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 are all feasible, though we'll see if that actually happens.

Honestly though, there aren't THAT many non-exclusives not on Switch at this point.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 I wouldn't say 2.8 is that feasible if Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't

Of the actual games in that collection, 1 of the 2 included is pretty much a KH3 tech demo which runs on the exact same engine despite being considerably shorter of a game. If SE have constantly been dodgy about how feasible a KH3 port would be then the same would probably apply to a game that's esssentially a technical showpiece for what KH3 would eventually be capable of

This is probably what Nomura was referring to when talking about how the collections weren't possible to do on Switch even though they were considering it at one point. The only one I can actually see ported well without any compromise is 1.5 + 2.5, but that still doesn't cover a good chunk of the series

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

Most of the games I’m interested in either A couldn’t run on the Switch, just not possible, realistic limitation of portable gaming, or B are older games. Not retro, but... 7th gen. Like Batman Arkham Asylum and City. Mass Effect Trilogy. Dragon Age 1 and 2. Portal 1 and 2 (wth Valve, you put Orange Box on Xbox 360, come on!), DMC reboot, etc. But there really isn’t a long list of games I want anymore. We’ve gotten so many already. Of course, there are always games that I don’t realize how much I like them until they come over and I play them (Sniper Elite 4 was one of those games- holy cow am I in love with that Switch port, Immortals surprised me with how amazing it is, Borderlands 2 reignited my love for the game, which I plowed through on Vita of all devices- having a Switch version that looks like the PS4 with gyro on a handheld is a Godsend), but more often than not they’re meh.

I’ve never been big into Kingdom Hearts, and so while I do think they need to at least being 1.5 + 2.5 or release an exclusive for Switch, it’s more for the sake of others who are diehards. If they don’t come, I won’t be too upset. It’s not like I ever bothered to play them much before anyways. I never liked Crash (although I would buy the new one if it came to switch) but Tony Hawk needs to happen.

Frankly though, with the lineup we have, I’m not even thinking about other games anymore. I just wanna play some Monster Hunter. Jan. 26th to Feb. 26th is gonna be a Blitzkrieg with Atelier Ryza 2, Persona 5 Strikers, Bravely Default 2 and Super Mario 3D World (I really do love that game). That’ll serve us a good distraction until March when the video game to end all video games releases.

But we still have Ys IX: Monstrum Nox and Trails of Cold Steel 4, and Neo: TWEWY and Monster Hunter Stories 2 and Shin Megami Tensei III HD and Shin Megami Tensei V and Rune Factory 5 all coming sometime later this year. And an empty slate of Nintendo 1st party. I only put serious time into so many games each year. And just those games alone are probably enough to keep me busy for the entire year because they are all games that I will actually play in sink tons of time into.

This is the first year in which I’m actually hyped from day one and already have my gaming regimen planned out through December. March 26th can’t come soon enough. Between Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Bravely Default 2, Rune Factory 5 and Shin Megami Tensei V, this has got to be the most epic year for Switch to date, just on 3rd party exclusives alone. Throw in Disgaea 6, No More Heroes 3, Bayonetta 3 if we’re lucky, and ya, 2021 is the year of Switch 3rd party exclusive support. Took a few years to kick into gear, but it’s finally time to collect my friends... It’s finally time to collect.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jedgamesguy

@Grumblevolcano Played Trials of Mana? It's a 90s comfort food JRPG in every sense of the word. I dunno if it's on sale right now but it's worth a shot if it is. Music's pretty infectious (if simple by today's standards), voice acting is a little hit or miss, but the graphics are very charming, and you can choose which three characters you can use for the whole journey. Combat's pretty fun and not very stressful too, it's real time. And even on Hard Mode it's not very hard, but I turned it down around mid-game.

@JaxonH I really want to get into Kingdom Hearts, have a PS5 and Switch, so while honestly it doesn't really matter which, I'd like to see what it can do on Switch. A game that size and scope feels like it would work with a Final Fantasy X / X-2 package, which it is already.

I agree about the next month being a blitzkrieg, it'll be a good one.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry 2.8 is also likely significantly less crazy to port than 3 anyways. A place like the BH6 world is likely impossible, whereas 0.2 is merely improbable to port. It's pretty linear, with generally small enough areas it should be able to be ported by someone who knows what they're doing.

link3710

FragRed

So this has happened. Was someone else sniffing around them? Maybe Bethesda and the other acquisitions by Sony and Microsoft has actually woken Nintendo up to doing the same

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Ralizah

I wish vanillaware wasn't so loyal to Sony. I'd love to play games like Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, Dragon's Crown, and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim on the Switch.

Ditto with the new Sakura Wars game. It's on sale, and I keep almost buying it, but I feel like it's a prime candidate for a late Switch port.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

kkslider5552000

Whoa that's unexpected.

Not Next Level Games specifically, because that's an obvious choice for all involved. But buying an actual game studio, that's a bit unexpected.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed This is one of those situations where I'm surprised it wasn't already the case much like how I was surprised to find out Bluepoint and Housemarque aren't already a part of Sony (they've only done PS exclusives and most of them being Sony 1st party IPs for the past several years).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jedgamesguy

Anyone seen that MetalKingBoo Daisy Screaming video? NEXT LEVEL GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic