Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 50,361 to 50,380 of 69,988

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 I don't generally care about Kirby so Star Allies was a game I didn't pick up, and Aces was pretty disappointing in terms of content imo. Octopath was great as a console exclusive but other than that I was purely waiting for Smash the entire year. I played Gris and Into the Breach on Steam so that doesn't really count as a Switch purchase and I didn't pick up Celeste until early last year.

2020 was solid with stuff like Xenoblade and Catherine Full Body in particular and I'm definitely eyeing 3D All Stars in addition to Hyrule Warriors now, and the re-reveal of SMT V already tells me 2021 will also be pretty stacked in terms of high profile titles, especially as an "Atlus faithful" as they say on Twitter

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

They've definitely salvaged the year somewhat with Mario 3D All Stars, Pikmin 3 and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity (and Mario Kart Live but, meh).

I dived back into Fire Emblem after Paper Mario and I'm just as absorbed in this Blue Lions run as I was in my initial Black Eagles run last year. Such an incredible game. Probably replay a different route each year until complete. And still have Trails of Cold Steel waiting for me to get back to. Just got sidetracked with Fire Emblem.

And we also have a good February game with Mario 3D World, and Bravely Default 2 is likely December, maybe? Unless it gets pushed back to March or April. SMT3 may also come earlier than expected next year, and of course, Monster Hunter is still up in the air, probably going to coincide with the Switch+ launch. In fact, maybe Bravely Default 2 will as well.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I wouldn't expect Nocturne HD any earlier than March if the gap between Persona 5 Vanilla and Royal's Japanese & English releases are any indication.

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

I'd put 2018 and 2020 for Switch as equal. Too much reliance on 1 game (Smash for 2018, Animal Crossing for 2020) and game droughts are too large but overall a decent number of good releases.

I do wish Square Enix announced a lot earlier that they have no intention of bringing over KH to Switch outside of Melody of Memory as I would've got the games on XB1 months ago in a sale.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

On the topic of game engines, the underlying tech used in Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon, Animal Crossing is all the same game engine, as discussed by DF when they tackled New Horizons.

So saying one engine can't support multiple game styles is...off, given a proprietary Nintendo one does a third person online shooter, life sim, 3D fighter and kart racer.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Its such a crock, too. Like ya, these PS2, PSP and 3DS games that we had also running on a PS3 is too technically demanding for Switch.

Nomura is a PS puppet that likes to pay lip service to Nintendo, but actions speak louder than words. His actions show he likes to hide behind "technical difficulty" to ensure as few games comes to Switch as possible, and the few that do (FFXV Mobile, KH MOM) that would typically be developed only for Switch (why would other consoles need FFXV Mobile?) he ensures that even those go to other platforms.

I cant take such a statement seriously. Old retro games that, even as a collection, released on PS3, and he's hiding behind excuses for Switch. Either he's the most incompetent developer in all of SE and deserves to be fired, or he's playing games trying to hinder as many ex-PS exclusives leave the platform as possible. I suspect it's the latter. Watch, TWEWY 2 will also go multiplat, if he's in charge. I guarantee it (not that I'm against multiplat, but it just shows where his priorities lie- it's always one sided- take from Nintendo and give to PS, do everything in his power to hinder the other way around).

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KryptoniteKrunch

Yeah, that's really weird especially coming from SE who have been solid supporters of the Switch, and clearly their games on Switch do well. I never played a KH game, but I would've loved to start on Switch, having most of the series(barring 3, maybe) all on one portable system. Oh well, hopefully they change their minds after fan demand.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Ralizah

I've been saying this for a while, but, even with delays and whatnot, 2020 hasn't been a terrible Switch year for me. Certainly better than 2018 for me, which was dry as hell until the end of the year.

In terms of how support for the console has gone historially, 2021 should be one hell of a year for the system. I'm so ready for Shin Megami Tensei V.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

So with the release of HW: AoC in November can we shut down expectations of any additional announcements from Nintendo here in 2020?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

MarioVillager92

So far I got these Switch games that released this year:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

And I have Super Mario 3D All-Stars on preorder too. Pretty good roster of games if I do say so myself, it kind of seems like we'll be getting more announcements later on within the year, with the new Hyrule Warriors just being revealed. But I could be wrong, we'll see. Of course, I'm expecting a shadow drop if Nintendo decides to announce their next Switch game.

Potentially unpopular opinion, I didn't care for Hyrule Warriors that much. I thought it was a little too button-mashy for my liking. Hopefully Age of Calamity will change my mind.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah 2021 will literally be Atlus' best year since maybe 2013 or 2014 since it's not just being carried by Persona spinoff milking and will actually get some good spread of content across both Persona and SMT. It's also the Persona series' 25th anniversary next year so I think stuff like Persona 5 Arena and a teaser for Persona 6 on PS5 is probably happening.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH Well tbf I do believe him on the FFXV statement. Luminous Engine was from what I heard, an absolute nightmare to develop for which is what prompted Kingdom Hearts III to switch to UE4 after like a year or two. The statement on not getting the KH games to run on Switch was some pretty big bs. Maybe he was talking about cartridge limitations for putting stuff like The Story So Far which has like 9 different games and the Re:Coded movie retelling, but it's still a gross overexaggeration of porting difficulty.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
For sure, FFXV is pushing it, and I’m not even mad about that. But the fact that they couldn’t even release FFXV Mobile without including other platforms that literally already had the game (Who would buy the mobile version when you can get the full version for the same price on the same system), takes the SE music spinoff series that was always Nintendo handheld exclusive and makes that multiplat, bending over backwards to make sure ANYTHING that comes to Switch that Nomura has his hands on releases everywhere else, all while bending over backwards to ensure games that release everywhere else don’t come to Switch... with excuses that doesn’t even hold water... it’s painful to watch. The fact KH is not on PC is also evidence of this desire to keep it as PS-exclusive as possible, only begrudgingly porting elsewhere when overruled by corporate and he can’t fumble up some kind of excuse to convince them it can’t or shouldn’t be done.

Just recently I read that the developer of Hack GU wanted to bring the games to Switch, and he’s asked Bandai Namco several times, but they keep saying, “well, you know we have a long-standing relationship with Sony and we don’t know how to predict sales so... nah”. And it’s like, did you have a way of predicting sales when you initially took the risk of releasing on PlayStation when the series was brand new? No, but you did it anyways. There’s far less of a risk in releasing now on switch, in fact there’s a pretty clear trend of sub million sellers outperforming on Switch... so, what’s the REAL reason? It’s the “relationship with Sony” part of it. It’s the same reason that’s keeping countless other games off of Switch. Loyalism trumping business sense. All the devs that have enough sway to make it happen, they just don’t want to make it happen. And all the devs that do want to make it happen, they don’t have enough sway. All I takes is one cog in the hierarchy with a loyalist ideology to put the kabosh on Switch projects. And it sure seems like a lot of people out there in the industry have a vested interest in doing exactly that.

Especially the big publishers (though for different reasons- I think they just don’t want Nintendo to exist at all- in their mind it would be so much easier if they could just make one master version for TV-only power consoles with a multiplat machine that spits out 3 versions- Switch is a pain in their buttocks). Just read no Prince of Persia remake on Switch. And I immediately thought no, of course not. You were able to port the game to the Nintendo Wii, despite releasing on HD hardware, now that the gap is far smaller and sales of third parties are far larger, suddenly that’s no longer of interest. It’s the same crap, over and over again.

At least we have enough devs who are bringing games (Ninja Gaiden trilogy is a huge win, and even if it’s later, Tony Hawk and Crash are also a huge win), and a plethora of exclusives that it’s not the end of the world. I just see so much missed potential due to senseless shenanigans. Imagine if Mass Effect Trilogy and Prince of Persia got a hybrid handheld release, for example. That’s the dream... And they’re crapping all over it. The console is amazing and the library will have a stellar lineup by the time this generation is over (it already does), but it could be even better if these stalwart anti-Nintendo holdouts would cede their preferential loyalties and just release games wherever the gamers are, and let the market decide, and if big publishers would just commit to release every single multiplat title on Switch that can run at more than 20fps.

Edited on by JaxonH

RR529

Yeah, echoing what a few others have said, this has been a pretty good Switch year for me. Games that released this year in Bold.

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • A Short Hike
  • Daemon X Machina
  • Devil May Cry 2 HD (currently playing)
  • Gato Roboto
  • New Super Lucky's Tale
  • Paper Mario: the Origami King
  • Shantae & the Seven Sirens
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
  • Waifu Uncovered (no shame, lol)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, the Golden Country

Also, I have Super Mario 3D All Stars on pre-order, and will likely nab the new Hyrule Warriors if I finish the Mario games before the end of the year.

Oh, I also got Final Fantasy IX this year, but it didn't really click for me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

It’s been an ok year. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

Highlights for me include:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Club House Games
Paper Mario Origami King
Mario 3D All Stars
Pikmin 3
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Borderlands Collection
Bioshock Collection
XCOM 2
Trails of Cold Steel 3
Catherine Full Body
Burnout Paradise
Saint’s Row 4
DOOM Eternal (hopefully)

Many others I’ve played but, I think those really defined the year for me, or will define it when they release. Of course, I’d also add Persona 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam as notable 2020 releases, and the extensive time I’ve spent in Trails of Cold Steel 1 on PC.

Overall, not a bad year, and we still have some great stuff to look forward to, but I’m ready for 2021. I’m ready for a blowout year. I’m ready for a new Switch, a new ground up Monster Hunter, a new ground up SMT, a new ground up Bravely Default, a new Pokemon Snap, a Breath of the Wild Sequel, Mario 3D World with new content, YS 9, Trails of Cold Steel 4, SMT3 Remaster, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3...

Im ready to put this year behind us.

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Persona 5 Scramble + SMT III Remaster + SMT V is one hell of a year for Atlus, I agree. Feels good, like we're back with the PS2, when Atlus was releasing ambitious games left and right.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

ianl579

I think a new Smash character in October, Crown Tundra in early November, and Bravely Default 2 in December would round out the year nicely.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Toy_Link

Magician wrote:

So with the release of HW: AoC in November can we shut down expectations of any additional announcements from Nintendo here in 2020?

I honestly expect to see at least an announcement for the next Smash DLC character by the end of the year. There's also the Pokemon S&S DLC and Bravely Default 2 which are both still slated for 2020, so we'll probably hear an official release date for those or an announcement of a delay.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Ya I forgot about that one. Honestly, I was really excited for Trials of Mana, but when it actually came time to play it... Idk. It just didn’t get it’s hooks into me like I expected. Still a solid release though, and worth mentioning.

@Ralizah
Persona 5 Scramble keeps escaping me. Every time I think of games coming I forget that game is supposedly a 2021 release. Maybe it’s because they’ve never officially announced it for the west, so it doesn’t feel “100% confirmed” yet. I thought Yokai Watch 4 was a lock, yet here we are 3 years later and still nothing. I’m pretty sure it’s coming though because KT had it listed in their western release schedule.

Speaking of which, how bout a round of applause for Koei Tecmo. Not only excellent work with Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, not only Persona 5 Scramble, not only previous highlights such as Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Atelier Ryza (and a half dozen others) and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, but Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (if confirmed), Atelier Ryza 2 and Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV.

Talk about model support. And their games are getting better. For a while there, KT games were all 6/10, maybe 7/10 caliber games at best. But lately, they’ve been upping their game. And it seems the next 12 months will be their best yet.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic