Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,921 to 45,940 of 69,964

Octane

@Dezzy I was partially joking. I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 20 mil or so. Zelda was 50 IIRC; so it's definitely not more than that. At least, I hope not, because in that case I wonder where the money went.

However, considering Pokemon is the biggest media franchise of all time (in terms of revenue), they can easily afford a 150 GTA budget. 16 million sales; even if only €20 of every copy goes to Nintendo, that's still 320 million in revenue. But every digital copy means €60 goes straight to Ninty's bank account.

Octane

link3710

@Octane X&Y had a 20 mil budget, we know that. I'd wager this game was maybe 25-30? Or it could still be only 20.

On the other hand, Nintendo definitely doesn't get 60 off a digital sale, they get 20, it's split three ways Hoooowever, on top of that, Nintendo has no direct say in Pokemon's budget, nor does GameFreak. The board at TPC decides that. Which while Nintendo or GameFreak or Monsters leadership could call a vote of no confidence on them to replace them I'm sure, they'd definitely need a majority agreement to pull it off.

Obviously in reality it's more messy than that even, since the TPC board isn't going to want to pick a direct fight with Nintendo's heads but...

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Octane

@link3710 Oh yeah, sure. But I meant that all of it is revenue for the collective Nintendo/TPC/GameFreak conglomerate, none of it goes to a GameStop or Amazon.

I do get that Nintendo doesn't have as much say in what happens, probably some, but not all, otherwise it would've been treated differently I think.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

So EA has stated they are happy with how Switch is doing, but basically has nothing to announce, and is cautious that the top sellers are all first party titles.

So NOW the excuse is "Well we can't top the charts".

As if a Nintendo game selling 10m and yours selling 2m on the platform is bad.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ThanosReXXX

@Knuckles-Fajita Also "funny" is how they state that many people have both a HD console and Switch, as if the latter isn't an HD capable console...

EA: Every Avenue of excuse possible...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Haruki_NLI

@ThanosReXXX At this point I want it to continue because A) Screw EA most of the time and B) The researcher and sadist in me wants to get that sweet sexy buzz right in the heart every few months when they somehow pull another excuse out.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ThanosReXXX

@Knuckles-Fajita That feeling when petty excuses from EA actually cause anything even remotely positive in people...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

rallydefault

<considers joining the mindless EA hate train>

<decides to actually think for himself>

rallydefault

Tyranexx

Last I checked, the Switch had HD. Did some patch get pushed out that downgraded it to standard def in my absence?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Magician

If that AC special edition Switch was a Lite rather than a standard Switch I would have insta-bought it.

However, I don't need another standard Switch.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NotTelevision

Almost everything about that AC Special Edition Switch is perfect. It’s like George Michael’s “Careless Whisper” was playing when I first saw it 😅

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

link3710

Ugh, that Switch looks so good. Like, by far the best special edition they've put out yet, dual tone joy-cons, a fantastic looking dock, a detailed back design. Plus it's the updated model... gotta remind myself I really don't need it. I'll wait for the next revision, whatever that ends up being.

link3710

Toy_Link

@Tyranexx
And it's not like EA's games aren't HD on Switch. All the FIFAs run at 1080p/720p docked/handheld. I think high resolution mode in Unraveled 2 900p with 60fps mode and handheld running at 720p.

Can't remember what it was for Fe, but it looked blurry in handheld mode, so I'm guessing 720p docked?

Edited on by Toy_Link

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Toy_Link

@rallydefault
Isn't it just as mindless to accept EA's excuses as fact despite what other third party developers are doing right now?

I'll praise EA when they do something right, like I did with the Switch version of Unraveled 2 and I've seen many others do the same such as with their latest Star Wars game.

Tyranexx

Man, I'm not even into Animal Crossing and even I'm digging that Switch design! Hopefully scalpers don't run off with all the machines.

@Toy_Link Those observations make that tweet from before funnier if possible.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

Tyranexx wrote:

Last I checked, the Switch had HD. Did some patch get pushed out that downgraded it to standard def in my absence?

Well HD has never been properly defined, so it's not a helpful term. It's often used to mean 1080p and higher though.

If that's the case, you could say that Switch is HD capable, but often fails to reach HD.

Then again, that's true for the Xbox One too. A lot of games on there are 900p.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Toy_Link

@Dezzy
I'm not a tech savvy guy, but isn't 720p considered (lower end) HD? I recall owning a laptop 10 years ago that had a 720p screen marketed as HD and I remember that the 360 and PS3 were being heralded as bringing HD gaming to the mainstream and most games on those two systems were 720p.

Dezzy

@Toy_Link

Yes, I was going to say that actually but got distracted. Some people did consider 720p as HD. But then when 1080p became the standard, they kinda shifted the definition.

Basically, it's never been formally defined by anyone, so it doesn't really mean anything.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic