Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,841 to 44,860 of 45,675

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
But if you're not on that level with FE there's not going to be very much for anyone else to like compared to most other entries

I see a lot of people who liked Fates. Some more than others, but Fates has a pretty big fanbase actually. And I think that comes down to the fact that sure, the story was lame. But since the stories were never exceptional to begin with it's not that big a loss. And it's still somewhat entertaining, even if flawed.

And the gameplay was so finely tuned, it was a joy just to play the maps. I'm actually not super good at the game. I always play on Normal mode, for example. Conquest was harder than Birthright, but it wasn't brutal on Normal mode. A fair challenge but nothing most people would have issue with. Hard may be another story but most play Normal.

I think the incest thing is a moot point since you only pair who you choose to pair. So it's only a thing in the game if you choose for it to be.

But the maps in Conquest were truly glorious. I remember being in this cavern with wind that would blow everyone a few spaces each turn. Stuff like that you just dont see in any other game in the series.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

StableInvadeel

Something I find rather creepy about it is how they forced the child units to work similarly to Awakening, but without the benefit of time travel.

These are just people they literally threw into a pocket easy bake oven universe to live alone and miserable until they were useful for combat or too inept to survive alone.

And it’s not like Awakening where the kids are conceived at some undisclosed point in time in the future, here these marriages come with an instant mating ritual attached.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

rallydefault

I have high hopes for Yooka 2. I'm glad they're going to make the game heavy on 2D stages. I was REALLY disappointed with the first game; felt super clunky, hit detection was weird, movement and moves felt floaty...gah...all horrible sins for a 3D adventure game.

But the sequel is looking a bit better. But if the character weight remains the same, I just can't do it.

rallydefault

JaxonH

And that was probably my biggest criticism of Fates. The goofy shoehorned time travel children mechanic. The dull story? Sure, that sucks. But it would have been alot better had this not been forced into it.

Of course, we all know the shortcomings of Fates. I simply feel the good outweighed the bad, and despite not being my fave Fire Emblem, the immaculate gameplay and map design (even the DLC maps were better than most maps in other games) was more than enough to make up for it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy They used both Odyssey and Sunshine so I'm thinking either Odyssey DLC or Odyssey 2 announced in the next Direct with Isle Delfino as a kingdom. There was that Odyssey map in 2017 that had Isle Delfino on it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I don't think they've ever done DLC that long after the main release.
It'll be another game if anything. I think we're definitely getting Odyssey 2 anyway, because it sold really well and it makes sense to reuse the engine and some of the assets for a sequel (ala Galaxy 2).

So Isle Delfino kingdom seems possible. I'd really prefer a Sunshine remaster though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Huh, I'm surprised to hear you're not "hardest mode only" material in FE! I really found Conquest to be "challenge mode" in general. I felt lost early on, but similarly, in Birthright, I felt like it wasn't really a strategy game at all (Dark Crystal looks to have more interesting strategy battles than that!)

I remember that wind cavern. I remember cursing a lot during that wind cavern. That may be the point I just decided "aww, eff it, I'm restarting in easy"

Story/world wise...I mean it was just so bad. Short of Senran Kagura I never say a game world/story is all out bad. Bland, boring, derivative, sure...bad, that's a rare seal of disapproval for me. But they made such a hoopla of the novelist they got to write the story....and I was floored how shoehorned it all was. The unfortunate thing is if they hadn't tried to split the game into 3 greedy parts, I think the story might actually have been good. But they kind of broke it with the "3 paths" thing (and dragging the "plot twist" they already told you in the marketing out for 1/3 the game.)

Gameplay wise though, I still feel like Birthright was boring, Conquest was, though creative, too hard for average (or worse) players, and...honestly I don't know about the DLC, after the first two I was so burned out on the game by that point I didn't care and stopped playing. But more importantly battles were long. Most FE games, most strategy games in general have a sort of short & sweet pacing of battles. I mean, yeah, it's long, it's a strategy game, but generally they have a pacing to them. Fates battles seemed to just drone on and on, not with exciting nail biting combat but positioning parties forever with endless spawning enemies. I'm not far enough into 3H yet to say for sure it doesn't go that way, but for now, I can say the pacing seems more like I'd expect in the genre. I suck at the genre, but I always find at least the first half of the games addictive. Not with Fates though which turned me off early.)

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia There is only one paring in the story that is incest unless you are counting westermarck effect, but considering EVERYBODY knew but Kamui, I don't think it exists on both sides. I do headcanon that Kamui is more likely to fall for a Hoshido sibling after finding out they aren't related...but at the same time they isolated Kamui on in Nohr...which i felt like it was partially to eliminate any thoughts of a sibling bond beyond the title. As for Garon, people follow nutbag leaders every day...that is art imitating life. Half the atrocities committed in real life were because people were too "patriotic" (whatever that means at this point) and too scared to say no. So that seemed like standard game RPG/JRPG fare to me.

I enjoyed the maps on all three routes but I just wanna play more fire emblem.

The biggest issues I had with Fates was the childrealms (they should have done a gen gap rather than trying to redo Awakening without the time travel), the way the ultimate villain was handled...(they tried too hard to make him a puppeteer but did a mediocre job at it and they hamstringed themselves with Kamui's heritage...half of that should have just come out in the beginning. Also the heartstring pull with Kamui's mother was too soon, from a realistic perspective meeting your mom that you haven't seen since you were an infant would have prompted a disconnect and not the "awakening/ crisis" that happened. Should have made Kamui spend like a year there as a diplomat/plant. The ultimate villain was a neat idea...it just got stretched badly.

I felt like Nohr's whole deal escalated too soon no matter what route played; it didn't really feel like these two nations had been at war for decades and more like Nohr was just on a warpath...which makes Garon look a little cartoon villain silly (even though there are dictators just like that). My other issue was the awakening characters...for people that were sent there for a reason...it was hard to glean that from the game, so it just felt like fanservice...shoehorned fanservice. Otherwise most of the characters were written well enough (again not amazing but not as horrible as people like to imply) I will admit to being annoyed that Camilla wasn't a romance for both sexes...because she was very obviously Kamui-sexual. And it makes her yandere-ness make more sense if that was an underlying motivation mixed in with the psudo mother/oldersister/Kamui is her berserk button personality. Her armor is absolutely stupid though she would have been amazing if she had armor like Titania. No sane woman that is top heavy would ever wear a leather belt in between her breasts like that... I chafe just looking at her. Sex appeal for men is cute but not if you are going to get shot and killed because you left a very vulnerable part of your anatomy open. Don't wear armor then.

That being said I really felt like there was a lot of borderline abuse and torture going on with the siblings of Nohr...I think Garon was really cruel to all of them and they all had a touch of Stockholm Syndrome. Some were worse than others, so I feel that was also part of the I will follow my noble father no matter what. The only character I honestly disliked was Takumi...I would kick him down a flight of stairs (if I was mean like that).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Well, yeah it wasn't TECHNICALLY incest for most of it, but it was implied incest-fetishism at best. The general vibe was just, to me, very transparent in what it sold. I didn't hate it explicitly because of that, but it was another feather in the cap of giant cringes in the game to add to the pile.

As for Garon, people follow "nutbag leaders" not because they care a wit about the nutbag leader, but because there's benefit to them in doing so in terms of reward, personal or cultural gain of wealth or power, etc (in essence, on some level they AGREE with the leader and his/her goals.), or because they're afraid of the ramifications of not (often justifiably.) That's not what we see in Nohr. They neither celebrate the result of his goals, nor seem particularly frightened of "father." They seem entirely oblivious that Garon is anything but pretty stern and think he's a well meaning well balanced but harsh man.

Beyond that they had two otherwise reasonable factions with no actual direct cause for conflict beyond a king they all should be able to see as not right, and a natural go-between mediator they all accept. Yet they just battle because "Hey we're FE characters, we gotta battle, and we don't have PokeGO on our magic tablets yet!" With 5 million encounters between the royals of both sides, where they stand around having conversations with the hero they all relate to standing right there....and at no point did anyone figure out they're not actually at war? Real live has lots of stupid between factions...but that was just a whole other level of sticking their fingers in their ears. IT doesn't match the characters thinking as portrayed.

Maybe it could have been saved if it didn't lean so hard on magic dragons and silenced refugees that know about magic dragons..... too much gimmickery to make a plot work.

Agreed on a lot of the other parts (ugh...Camilla....) And I get that the Stockhom Syndrome was meant to be implied....but if it was, they dropped the ball on that as well and just made them oblivious, distracted, happy go lucky nuts, except Xander (who I will always see as Audrey Drake's "Husbando" from now on...which makes me associate her with Camilla...) who seems like he SHOULD have had sense and authority, but just gave endless benefit of the doubt to Garon for no realistic reason. Not even just duty, but legit benefit of doubt.

Takumi...ohhhh, yes, Takumi. I hated him. He definitely contributed to my feeling of the game overall. I don't know why I hated him so much, but nothing says "giant [censored]" quite like Takumi.

NEStalgia

Knuckles-Fajita

I read the first part of that post and then just went....nah. I'm good for the day.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

PikPi

If Nintendo ported any Mario games, I would definitely prefer the Galaxy games to Sunshine

PikPi

Ralizah

NEStalgia wrote:

Well, yeah it wasn't TECHNICALLY incest

You know you've entered full garbage fire territory when nearly every discussion about the plot somehow lands back on the subject of "is it incest even if they're not related?" Due to this, the terrible writing, and the reliance on certain character tropes, Fates is five feet away from being some gross harem-y fantasy property. All Fates is missing is the isekai element.

Yet petting someone's head was considered beyond the pale. Can't have a cute minigame in my not-technically-incest sister-romancing sim.

Thank goodness Three Houses came along and made the series great again. I absolutely love the world-building, the ideologically-driven characters, etc. It's so good.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

Shovel Knight news coming on August 28th:

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Grumblevolcano
Is that Yacht Games Direct ?

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@Ralizah LOL, I nearly choked on that! It's really so true. I'm surprised so many people defend that so readily. I mean I get it, if you're an FE super fan you're going to easily look around that for the game....but since we now have an amazing one to supersede it you'd think it would be easier to say "yeah, in retrospect...that was really bad" Echoes was a remake of an NES game and, IMO, was still substantially superior.

" Fates is five feet away from being some gross harem-y fantasy property."

Really, you'd put it that far away? When I think of Fates, I think "harem fantasy" first. I think "really really really long battles that drag on and on and on" second. That's not a good combination. (And yeah, I recognize the Conquest maps were really really cool...it's such such a shame they were glued to such a horrible world and with weird difficulty to split the SKU.)

I mean the game literally opens, for male characters, locked in a bedroom with a bunch of fawning female characters who seem very interested in touching and calling you brother..... and THEN you get Camilla.....

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I mean, it's plot-focused enough to get away from that harem fantasy thing a bit as it goes on, but it's... yeah, it's otaku pandering for sure. I don't mind Camilla quite as much: I prefer outright fanservice over this weird imouto fetishism, and the lady is at least built like an adult.

Everybody in the game is some really common anime trope, and I never feel like they grow into much of anything as time goes on. Three Houses has some one-note characters, but they still mostly feel like people, and they have layers to them.

I think the biggest thing I hold against Fates, though, is the huge focus on weapon forging and the My Castle elements of the game overall. They were a nuisance. The monastery might get a bit thin content-wise later on, but early game it's such a huge, great base full of so many different activities that all kind of co-exist nicely.

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@StableInvadeel Gaiden is NES.

I'm honestly surprised Japan NES Online hasn't got Gaiden yet but if that rumour about SNES being a more expensive tier of NSO ends up being true it seems very likely that NES will continue for plenty of months after SNES goes live.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic