Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,761 to 42,780 of 69,981

TuVictus

Lol that's fair enough. I'm sure many Switch owners, especially here, feel that way. More power to however you play. I prefer handheld for smaller games that I don't really need to pay attention to, or if I'm grinding in an RPG because I'll have something on the TV in the background. Otherwise I always prefer docked play, which explains why I tend to prefer the stronger consoles for 3rd party games the vast majority of the time.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Banjo-

PikPi wrote:

@JaxonH Yikes, heavy disagree. It's obviously not essential, but 4K Ori definitely has a pretty noticeable upgrade to 1080p . Both are beautiful, but 4k has a certain almost magic quality to it specifically thanks to its art style. Felt the same about Dragon's Crown 4k, too. Something about those kinds of fantasy visuals really pop. But yes, it doesn't matter cuz it'll still look good for Switch owners. so yay.

You are totally right but there will always be someone that says that resolution and frame rate don't matter at all and that they don't make a discernible difference.

Banjo-

TuVictus

Nah, I deleted my comment, figured this is a conversation not really worth my time , honestly. I'd rather just be excited for people that will be able to play the game now, in 60fps to boot, which is really what I find impressive

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

link3710

Well, Ori's definitely on my buy list as is that action pinball game. Probably Eastward too, and maybe Torchlight and a couple others... ugh... so many choices.

link3710

JaxonH

It's not that they "dont matter" it's that they matter an indescribably small amount when weighted against the fact its already 1080p 60fps (not like we're talking 540p here) and the fact you get a console game + handheld combined.

Sure, it "matters". But like 1% as much as getting 2 versions in 1 given the will look 95% as good anyways.

There's always that one person trying to downplay every Switch game as "good if you have no better options" or "good as a 2nd best choice". Screw that. I have all options and I'll take multiple versions in 1 that look nearly identical over a marginal resolution increase over 1080p for an artsy style game any day without thinking twice. That 2% better perceived visual fidelity isnt worth twice the value of the game. Getting 2 versions in one is though.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Banjo-

Unfortunately, some people are not objective and are too radical about the console of their choice even those that make believe that they have an Xbox One X too but prefer to play third-party games on Switch because the visual difference is not discernible and other unbelievable things.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Ralizah

Different things matter to different people. If you genuinely don't care about portability, or think of portable games in the same way you would disposable mobile games, then it makes sense to value that little bit of increased fidelity on 4K-enabled systems over what the Switch has to offer.

For me, unless the sacrifices are too great in terms of performance, then I'm always going to opt for something that doesn't keep me tethered to a TV.

Choice is good.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@BlueOcean
make believe they have an X1

Now you're just being ignorant. Everyone here can vouch for me having an X1X and PS4 Pro. I've posted pics multiple times.

It has nothing to do with "loyalty", it has to do with value. There is more VALUE in 1080p console + 720p handheld + hybrid play than there is 4k TV only. I dont care if its Nintendo, Sony, MS or NASA. It has to do with value.

I bought ALL my games on PS4/X1 before the Switch existed. I have a shelf full of games. Over 100+ because there was more VALUE there. But now... there isnt.

I know it's hard for elitist fanboys to possibly understand how anyone could EVER value 2 versions in 1 at full HD more than a marginal res bump, but that just shows you're the one stuck on an idealogy, not me.

Imagine if I said what? Someone claims they would actually buy a version of a game tethered to a TV when they could have the exact same game console and handheld? Only a console loyalist would do such a thing. They dont even own a Switch- they're lying about having one. Otherwise why would you POSSIBLY do something so stupid?

Cause that's exactly what you're doing right now. I may not agree with it (I think it's a waste of money to buy a TV only game when you could have the exact same game to play on the exact same TV but also anywhere), but I at least understand that different people value different things, and some may not care about portability, so a marginal bump holds more value to them. You, however, have just demonstrated you are either unable or unwilling to consider any viewpoint except your own, to the extent you falsely accuse others as liars and radicals for daring to not value the same exact things you do. I mean, who's the radical here?

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Banjo-

@Ralizah Of course, I wasn't talking about portability which is the main selling point of Switch so much that Nintendo is releasing a handheld-only Switch. For me playing on the TV is not torture though, I find it much more immersive and enjoyable.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

rallydefault

@BlueOcean
You are right: there are some third-party games where the graphical disparity between Xbox/PS and Switch versions is pretty big. DOOM comes to mind. Now, I own/played through DOOM on my Switch, but dang the graphics are blurry and muddy. It's playable, and I had a blast, but yea - difference is huge. I don't have the Wolfenstein games on Switch, but I'd assume the differences are similar.

For older games like Skyrim, I don't notice too much of a difference between Switch and the other consoles. Same goes for games like Stardew Valley and such where, well, there really aren't enough graphics that require lots of power.

For MOST third party games, I will buy them on Switch even if that means a noticeable graphical downgrade. I did it for DOOM, and the ability to play that game on the go was enough value to smooth out the graphics thing for me. But I won't pretend the graphics didn't bother me from time to time. Would I do it all over again? Actually, probably, again because of the portability.

Now, if the newest CoD game were to come out on Switch hypothetically? Nope, would definitely buy that on the other consoles. Not only for graphics but because of the larger playing community for that type of game.

So what I'm saying is, you have a point, but there are plenty of people out there who find that portability can trump almost anything.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Ralizah

@BlueOcean It's not torture for me either, but I like being able to play away from the TV, and I would do it for every single game if I had the option.

4K TV only vs. 1080p TV/720p handheld. There's no clear 'better' option. It just depends on your preferences.

Ryu_Niiyama

Looking forward to Ori, EarthNight and Torchlight 2. Curious about Roki, Skater XL, Risk of Rain 2 (even though that isn't my cup of tea), Eastward and the Touryst.

Can we just let people play games on the systems that they want? If it is available and someone chooses to play on a system YAY, more games for EVERYBODY.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

TuVictus

Torchlight 2 seems like a particular good fit for Switch. I'm probably gonna get Baldur's Gate, too. But for now the next game I'll buy is most likely Daemon X Machina. I hope that game does well

TuVictus

Banjo-

@Ralizah Right, I like handheld consoles and I didn't say that portable is bad, I just said that I think that playing on a bigger screen (TV) is more immersive and enjoyable because you said that you don't want to play tethered to a TV like it was a bad thing.

Banjo-

Banjo-

rallydefault wrote:

@BlueOcean
You are right: there are some third-party games where the graphical disparity between Xbox/PS and Switch versions is pretty big. DOOM comes to mind. Now, I own/played through DOOM on my Switch, but dang the graphics are blurry and muddy. It's playable, and I had a blast, but yea - difference is huge. I don't have the Wolfenstein games on Switch, but I'd assume the differences are similar.

For older games like Skyrim, I don't notice too much of a difference between Switch and the other consoles. Same goes for games like Stardew Valley and such where, well, there really aren't enough graphics that require lots of power.

For MOST third party games, I will buy them on Switch even if that means a noticeable graphical downgrade. I did it for DOOM, and the ability to play that game on the go was enough value to smooth out the graphics thing for me. But I won't pretend the graphics didn't bother me from time to time. Would I do it all over again? Actually, probably, again because of the portability.

Now, if the newest CoD game were to come out on Switch hypothetically? Nope, would definitely buy that on the other consoles. Not only for graphics but because of the larger playing community for that type of game.

So what I'm saying is, you have a point, but there are plenty of people out there who find that portability can trump almost anything.

Absolutely true and I agree with you 100%. I just remarked on some people's unbelievable statements like "the visual difference between Switch and Xbox One X is not discernible". Just that, nothing else. If you tell me that the visual quality and frame rate on Switch is worse but you prefer portability all I can say is that you are a honest person and that it's absolutely fine and I have never complained about that, because that's not a lie but a personal preference.

Back in the Nintendo 64 era some people preferred the Game Boy Color and the difference was much bigger. I'm fine with that and I actually had both consoles. You prefer playing on Switch or playing on a more powerful console depending on the game and that makes perfect sense to me, that's the most sensible option if you ask me.

Is it playing tethered to a TV a problem? Perhaps for some people like Ralizah it is and I respect that but if I have a choice I'll play on a TV, so I was just telling him that for me it's not a problem but of course it's not that I'm right and he's wrong but that my answer would be that to the "tethering" issue.

In short, Switch can't have visual parity with the other consoles, not to mention with Xbox One X, but of course every console has its own advantages. So my conclusion about this topic is: play whatever you want on whatever you want, respect other people and don't lie!

Now that you mention Doom and Wolfenstein, I think that the Switch versions are visually awful. On the other hand, the Switch versions of Team Sonic Racing, Crash Team Racing and Okami are fine and probably the Switch version of Okami might be the best port because you can use the touch screen.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

JaxonH

Nobody said there was no difference, only that for a game like Ori, or Cuphead (NOT EVERY GAME), but for games like these, the difference is negligible enough to not even be a serious factor of consideration when weighted against the double value of hybrid play.

Strawmanning is rephrasing the other's words and attacking that instead of what they originally said. Nobody said there was ZERO difference. Only that for games such as this one, that difference is laughably negligible to the point most normal people wont even be able to tell screenshots apart (which is true, we've seen it with Cuphead). The improvement from 1080p to 4k is incredibly small for non-realistic games. Heck, it's small even for realistic ones. Better? Sure. How much better is the question.

I toggle games from 1080p to 4k all the time to see the differences, and it's not some huge drastic change, even for the most realistic games that benefit most. Nicer? Absolutely. Wolf2 on X1X is the best looking game I've ever seen. But Wolf2 in 1080p was dang close. Pretending a cartoony game is going to be this huge difference thats so clearly and obviously better is a joke. Accusing someone of lying about having a console just because they would still choose Switch is pathetic. Changing their words to save face with accusations is a facepalm.

Edited on by JaxonH

redd214

Ralizah wrote:

Different things matter to different people. ....
Choice is good.

Argument over lol, well said!

Ori looks interesting, may check it out early next year when things slow down a bit.

redd214

Ralizah

@BlueOcean I do mean 'tethered to the TV' to be a bad thing. Which is distinct from saying 'playing on the TV.' If I want to play a Switch game on the TV, it's a matter of personal choice. It's my preference at the time. Home console/PC games are tethered, though: you can't go elsewhere and play them unless you intend to turn the game off, unplug the console, and heft it somewhere else in your house. And they're not really portable in any meaningful sense like the Switch is. If your power goes out, then say bye-bye game (this happened to me LAST NIGHT as I was playing a PS2 game and was saving my game, so the save file corrupted. Ten hours of progress lost in a flash. Ugh.)

Playing on the TV is fine. I do it occasionally with the Switch. And when I do, it's always fun, because the design of the hardware makes it a result of MY initiative instead of pure necessity.

I'm not trying to argue. I just want you to understand that I'm not saying that playing on the TV is bad. I just deeply value the Switch's flexibility. It molds itself around my life instead of forcing me to mold myself around its own hardware design limitations.

Edited on by Ralizah

HobbitGamer

Ralizah wrote:

I just deeply value the Switch's flexibility. It molds itself around my life instead of forcing me to mold myself around its own hardware design limitations.

This right here for me. It’s easier to play when and how I want on Switch as opposed to my previous consoles. That’s the biggest selling point for my lifestyle.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

Oh great, another game for me to double dip on! Any metroidvania I'm just more likely to play on a handheld. I never get far enough on X1 into the game....though that does still leave the sequel. Heck I'm even doing Bloodstained on Switch...despite the smell of fail.

@BlueOcean It's a little funny that you like handhelds but prefer playing on TV because it's more immersive...and you still don't want a dockable Switch It's like it was meant just for you

@redd214 I'm surprised you haven't at least started it yet...isn't it on GamePass? I bought it, but never got past the first area....it's just not the sort of game I pick up an X1 to play vs. Switch.

@HobbitGamer @Ralizah My only trouble is I've molded my playing habits around the 3DS era. So I have certain games I designate as good handheld games and tend to put them in Switch and certain games I tend to designate as good TV games and save them for Winter when I'm playing on the couch anyway, so PSXB works fine for all that. As a result only certain blockbusters like Odyssey and BOTW (and Pokemon) do i end up playing on the TV on the Switch )

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic