Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,761 to 42,780 of 45,812

Magician

Ralizah wrote:

It probably also means Nintendo will lean away from doing stuff like making certain moves in Mario games reliant on motion gesturing and HD rumble.

The very reason why I don't hold Mario Odyssey in the same regard as Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, or Super Mario 3...those moons that require you to use those motion controls for enemy special abilities.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 425 games (as of October 11th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Summon Night 6 (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

JaxonH

Its shortsighted to pretend there's no value in a Switch Lite. All kinds of false presuppositions to assume a person would care enough about the minuscule number of games requiring Joycon to buy an extra set for the incredibly small percentage of gameplay requiring it (Odyssey has a couple moons requiring it, that's about it, and there's so many moons one could easily skip those and never know the difference).

And that's also assuming a person doesnt care about the smaller form factor or the fact you get 33% more battery life with Zelda (4 hrs vs 3), or a proper d-pad in handheld mode without buying a separate joycon and sacrificing gyro.

Different people value different things. But one thing is for sure. Console gamers are extremely price sensitive, and while most people on an enthusiast site would rather pay more for more features, the bulk of the install base is not enthusiasts. The bulk is price sensitive casual gamers who just want to play Pokemon or Fire Emblem on a handheld.

You best BELIEVE a $200 Switch is gonna set the market on fire, especially this holiday. Smartest move Nintendo's made to date.

@Ralizah
Nailed it.

This is the correct viewpoint ūüėČ

Edited on by antdickens

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

HEY LISTEN! GO PLAY ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST!

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Knuckles-Fajita

@HobbitGamer I would have thought this thing would maintain the option to dock much like it maintains the ability to pair with controllers.

Now I think about it...

You buy a Switch Lite for 200, get the most from games with a pair of JoyCon for 80....may as well just buy a Switch...

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dogorilla

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

You buy a Switch Lite for 200, get the most from games with a pair of JoyCon for 80....may as well just buy a Switch...

Yeah that was my issue with the concept of a Switch Mini when it was being discussed before. I guess it's fine for people who just want to play handheld games and don't care about single-system multiplayer, HD rumble, Labo, etc, but it's definitely inferior in many ways. I feel sorry for any Switch Lite players trying to find that Mario Odyssey moon where you have to follow the vibrations of the HD rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah wrote:

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

Plus this means docked mode will suffer more going forward, as now there are guaranteed to be more handheld players, so developers will likely prioritise that other docked play. So the mirror matches between handheld and docked we have already seen will be a permanent fixture.

Honestly, this is probably the most exciting thing about the Switch Mini. Developers will be going to pains now to ensure parity between docked and handheld, meaning we're hopefully less likely to see gimped ports going forward. It probably also means Nintendo will lean away from doing stuff like making certain moves in Mario games reliant on motion gesturing and HD rumble.

Isn't the easiest option just to do a docked version of playing Super Mario Party in handheld mode? In that game you can't even reach the title screen until you connect a detached Joy-Con, so basically by "docked version" I mean have a very basic screen which can't be passed until you take the Switch out of the dock and if you put the Switch back in the dock while playing the game pauses and states to take the Switch out of the dock.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Well...the introduction of the Switch Lite should aid Nintendo in reaching that estimated goal of 18m Switches sold for 2019. They must have the production lines going morning, noon, and night in order to get millions of Lites on store shelves by the holiday season.

Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita It is good if it means fewer games that optimize primarily for TV play. 720p can still look good on a TV.

@Magician The gimped handheld mode and forced motion gesturing for certain moons is, far and away, the biggest problem with the game. Dumb, dumb thing to include in one of your biggest games releasing on your brand new hybrid system.

@JaxonH The hardcore crowd has been underestimating the appeal of the Switch from the very beginning. A $199.99 Switch Lite + Pokemon S/S is going to light the market on fire.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Therad

Nintendo have a lot of first party titles which depends on detached cons, some of them are among their biggest brands. That will surely annoy some parents.

Therad

Ralizah

@Therad Super Mario Party, for sure.

1, 2, Switch, I guess.

What else?

Ralizah

DenDen

@BruceCM
Yes it deffinley will,
About the lite im still not sure yet if I whould buy it.
I whas hoping for a longer battery life besides that im

Now playing
Switch : slay the spire, Fire emblem tree Houses, super neptunia RPG (updated 13-0
10-19
Switch fc: SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

BruceCM

Oh, I don't think anyone doubts these will sell, @JaxonH .... I'd get 1 if I didn't already have a Switch

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey, Snipperclips, any game with coop focus.

And no, I dont see how not prioritising for TV mode is good. That means 35m people have the option of a crapper experience, and then we move away from the point of the Switch, even on the original model.

Another thought...you can connect controllers to play games right? But....it hasn't got a kickstand so...do you just lay it flat on the table, or is that another extra purchase for a stand?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

I need that Pokemon Edition.

Thus begins anew the JaxonH handheld collection. My 2 Fire Emblem 3DS, 2 Monster Hunter 3DS, 2 Zelda 3DS and Metroid 3DS need company.

I made a deliberate effort to avoid collector edition consoles. No Monster Hunter XX Switch. No Pokemon Switch. No Dragon Quest Switch. At $400 it's just too pricey to be buying showpieces. But at $200 and a bangin Switch Lite variant? The rules have changed indeed...

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

Jesus is Lord.

Therad

Ralizah wrote:

@Therad Super Mario Party, for sure.

1, 2, Switch, I guess.

What else?

Let's go Pikachu/Eevee, arms. But I would argue the biggest one is Odyssey. Some moves are impossible without detached cons. And as have been said before, without rumble some moons becomes impossible.

And yes, you can technically play them all without detached cons, but they were built with it as the primary method to play. Adding joycons and the price becomes the same as an ordinary switch, and will work worse since you can't dock the lite. Did it have a kickstand? Otherwise I would argue adding joycons becomes incredible clunky.

It is quite unlike Nintendo to remove features like this. And no, 3ds to 2ds was not the same thing. Nintendo had an explicit rule all games should be able to be played without 3d.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Magician

Therad wrote:

Nintendo have a lot of first party titles which depends on detached cons, some of them are among their biggest brands. That will surely annoy some parents.

I wouldn't quantify two or three games as "a lot".

Edited on by Magician

Therad

Magician wrote:

Therad wrote:

I wouldn't quantify two or three games as "a lot".

Those are the games kids are most likely to get though.

Therad

JaxonH

Pokemon Let's Go is 100% playable in handheld mode. No joycon required.

ARMS is 100% playable in handheld mode as well. No joycon required.

There's a big difference between not being playable and having a preference of way of playing removed. As long as the games function and play, it won't matter.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I doin't know that "the hardcore crowd underestimates switch" - I'm convinced the "hardcore" crowd that complains about Switch on the internet owns two each. If you're not so addicted to your games you need to carry them in your pants wherever you go, how can you even call yourself hardcore? What, you just spend an hour in front of the Plasma TV with an XBox and call yourself hardcore? Do you even mash A, bro?

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'm totally getting that Pokemon S/S Switch Lite if I can swing it.

I can't wait to replay some of my 2D and indie games on the Switch Lite!

@Knuckles-Fajita Games optimized for handheld play still work well on the TV. The same is not true of games optimized for docked play when undocked. It's very much a good thing that developers will now be forced to keep the handheld side of the experience in mind more often when designing games for the Switch.

Also, nobody is going to get a Switch Lite with the idea that it'll be good for couch multiplayer.

It seems like you're hunting for reasons to be down on this.

@Therad SMO is still enjoyable in handheld mode if you're not trying to pull off advanced moves. You can certainly complete the game and 95% of the moons in handheld without rumble. Having to shake the console to long jump as a frog or dash as a cheep-cheep is annoying, but it would hardly break the game.

Also, I'd argue ARMS and Pokemon LGPE control better in handheld mode.

So the only games that are truly compromised are 1, 2, Switch and SMP.

EDIT: Also, the lack of 3D in the 2DS is far more crippling for games like ALBW and SM3DL, imo. Especially the latter, considering certain areas are designed to be navigated with the 3D activated.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

darkfenrir

Let's Go is actually better on handheld mode lol. Gyro aiming is amazing than swinging your arm around

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic