Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,501 to 42,520 of 69,992

Grumblevolcano

Honestly given how long it's been since we've heard anything about SMTV, I think it may have been necessary to release Joker in Smash for SMTV to come to Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
We haven’t heard anything because they only started real development about a year and a half ago

https://www.destructoid.com/development-of-shin-megami-tensei...

And they’re going big. They want to make it a proper entry for TV play, well suited to Switch’s hardware power. Expect this game in 2021, maybe 2022 depending. It’ll be in the latter years of Switch’s lifespan.

But judging by how good SMTIV was even using the meager 3DS specs and lower budget, SMTV is every bit as exciting as Persona... it’s gonna modernize the series while still retaining the portable advantage. My brother still tells me SMTIV was his favorite game on 3DS, and he loved games like Fire Emblem Awakening and Zelda Link Between Worlds.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

EvilLucario

@JaxonH In the case of Falcom, they're very tiny despite their pedigree, so they can't afford a Switch version without outsourcing. There's only so much resources to go around, and Ys VIII's sales on Switch were weird as far as I remember, being decent in the West but not good in Japan.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
I’m not convinced. For one, they were small developers yet managed to make games for both Vita and PS4. So when it’s a Sony handheld they somehow manage, when it’s a Nintendo handheld they’re “too small”.

For two, YS VIII set records on Switch in the west, which is by far the larger market. And in Japan, it didn’t do that great, but it also arrived a year late, and after not one but two other versions had already released (again, small team somehow managing to make a handheld version for dual release, when its Sony’s handheld), one console and one handheld. So they had already sold to both markets. Switch had no advantage left.

Furthermore, had the tables been turned and Switch actually received a game exclusively, rather than a year late port that already sold on two separate platforms both handheld and console, I am inclined to believe it would sell more globally, judging by YS VIII. But even if it didn’t, it dang sure would do better than Vita globally, which they somehow always managed to find resources for. Yet for Switch, not only do they not develop for it, they won’t even go out of their way to contract others to port for them. The only reason YS VIII came over is because NIS pushed for it and offered to do the work.

So ya, I’m not buying it. It sounds like an excuse they’re trying to pass off as legit. But that excuse just doesn’t fly when they were supporting both PS4 and Vita before, and when Switch sells more copies in the two largest markets worldwide despite releasing a year later on a smaller install base, and they won’t even so much as pursue contracting ports to be developed by someone else.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

Persona 5 is never coming based on ATLUS' attitude towards the very idea of making their big IPs multiplatform franchises

They are fixated on the idea that their IPs must stay on specific platforms because they think they know that the majority of the audiences for those IPs will always own those systems. They know SMT and Etrian Odyssey players will own Nintendo systems, they know Persona and Catherine players will own PlayStation consoles, etc.

My assumption is that they put spinoffs outside the Dancing games on other platforms because they feel safer putting these smaller, less significant titles on them to help drive potential consumers to buying the platforms they need to experience the main series

As evidenced by their comments when the DMCA takedown notice was sent to the RCPS3 emulator when it was shown running Persona 5 on PC, they are HEAVILY against the idea of people using other platforms to play their games when they designed them to be exclusive to one platform and one platform only. I know it was justified by the fact that you could play P5 illegally using that emulator, but the comments still indicate that they just refuse to bring their major IPs to other platforms when they're so used to the audience always being there and owning specific platforms. As evidenced by Persona 5's sales, I don't see their status on the whole matter changing

Persona 5 is literally a pipedream at this point unless you cave in and buy a PS4/Pro for Royal, or a PS5 for Persona 6

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm sorry I wish I could be optimistic in ATLUS' ability to change their attitude, but a simple survey wouldn't prove a single damn thing unless I see it physically happening. And judging by how they're heavily ambivalent towards the hypothetical fact you don't own a PS4 for Persona 5 Royal, I think that day will not come at least for maybe another decade.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

which is a shame because more people need to play Persona 5 and the entire series in general. They are all masterclasses in JRPG design and gameplay and P5 in particular was my personal Game of the Year for 2017

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@BlueBlur101
None of us know what’s going to happen. Persona may never come, but it’s definitely not a pipe dream. If it was a pipe dream they wouldn’t be surveying their fans for which platforms they want to see the next game on. And they’re not releasing spinoffs on other consoles to try to sell a totally different console, they’re doing it because they want to make money.

I do agree Atlus isn’t keen on releasing on different platforms, and there’s a good chance it might not happen, sure, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility by any means. Persona spinoffs show interest in cultivating a fanbase on other platforms, and with Sega’s new multiplatform policy and the incredibly large public expression of interest for the series to appear on Switch, I’d say it’s at minimum a coin toss as to whether we see the game come over. It may not happen, but it is definitely not a pipe dream. And I’d say Persona 6 is actually the more likely outcome given their surveys. They are not known for porting their back catalogue to new platforms but, when they indicate they are contemplating releasing the next game on different platforms and they are priming an audience with spinoffs on Nintendo, and when they have the confidence of knowing nearly 20,000,000 people will have been exposed to that franchise on the platform at the time development begins and platforms are chosen (especially with no other handheld alternative anymore)... I’d say the odds are no less than 50%. We may even see 5 and 6. It’s certainly possible. I’m not banking on it, but it’s not an unreasonable outcome.

I already own a PS4 (and you don’t need a Pro to play the game, heck it’s even on the last gen system PS3), and already own the game. I quit playing about 10 hours in. And I’m not going to buy the game all over again for another $60 for expansion content when I never even finished the base game. At least... not on the same exact system. But I’d buy it in a heartbeat on Switch, without question, because I’d actually get back to playing it on Switch. And I think a lot of people are like that. Even people who have the game or have access to the game, they would definitely buy it on Switch. So it’s not even about people owning the right platform, it would be about the fact people would double dip to have a portable version because the series is known on handhelds. And in the process they would also sell to a bunch of people who don’t own/aren’t interested in PS4. Of course this series has done well for itself but, if selling 2 million copies is cause to hang up the hat and say “good enough, we don’t need more, time to ride the coat tails” then the franchise will never grow. They should have a thirst to sell 5 million copies. Bring it to Switch and the added sales could actually make that happen.

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

At the very most I see a PC port of vanilla Persona 5 similar to Catherine Classic based on comments SEGA made in regards to wanting to put more of their non-Sonic Catalog on PC following the success of the Yakuza and Catherine ports

I don't see it coming to other CONSOLES though. Atlus have done a good job of convincing me that if there are people who don't strictly have PS4s for the majority of their established IP, they give absolutely zero f*cks and will continue to only appease the people who do by showering them with content.

I'm glad I own a PS4 and I do plan to get a PS5 for next gen, but the amount of stubbornness ATLUS has regularly displayed in regards to their constant refusal of putting their major IPs on more than one platform, has honestly reached as close to tone deaf as possible. And I do feel bad for the people in this thread who exclusively own Switches or plan to exclusively own Nintendo platforms, either by choice or just because they can't afford anything else.

You're missing out on magical games and I do sympathize with those people here.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

I want to confidently say that one day Persona 5 will come and the Nintendo crowd will finally experience what I consider the best JRPG of the decade thus far. But, I just can't. It doesn't mean I despise the people who want P5 on Switch, I'm just way less of a believer and would rather look at things realistically than optimistically. sorry

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@BlueBlur101
I mean, most people own multiple consoles and have played it. I played it and, it was excellent, one of the best RPGs of the gen. I’d put it up there with Xenoblade 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy X and XII, Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest XI. But not quite as good as Fire Emblem Three Houses, Zelda BotW, or Monster Hunter World and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate though, which are my faves I’ve played this gen (I also anticipate Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and SMTV to land in the “best of this gen” group as well) But I never finished Persona 5. Like Persona 4 Golden, my interest started to wane after the 10 hour mark, and I can’t say why. Might have been the fact I couldn’t play both TV and handheld, which has greatly contributed to me actually finishing games. Always been meaning to get back to it though. Which I would definitely do if it came to Switch.

Ironically, I actually finished Persona 4 Dancing, in fact it’s the only game I ever platinumed... ever. I don’t know why I got into that game as hard as I did but, at least judging by my actions, I seem to enjoy the spinoffs more than the main series (as that’s the only one I actually felt compelled to complete). With that in mind I am actually looking forward to Persona 5 Scramble. I would have preferred a new Dancing game, but P5 and P3 dancing sucked... Nowhere near as good as 4. Not a big mosou fan though, so there’s that (I did like FE Warriors though, so we’ll see).

TheFrenchiestFry

@RedderRugfish My assumption is that Atlus are just comfortable with putting the main series exclusively on PlayStation because they know that the audience who have been following them for a long time will buy those consoles in particular to support them and the series' future further. And the purpose of the spinoffs being multiplatform to me, is that Atlus sees them as a platform to slowly curate potential consumers into buying PlayStation consoles to experience the main titles. It's why Persona Q tied into the plot of Persona 4, or why the Phantom Thieves were put in PQ2, and probably even why Joker was even put into Smash in the first place. The spinoffs are just a safe method of cross promoting the main games.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

That being said Persona 5 Scramble sounds interesting as a concept, and I'm looking forward to see more of it, despite how hilariously handled its reveal was.

TheFrenchiestFry

darkfenrir

I never finished P4, but I'm interested in P5... But not interested enough I'll buy a PS4 for it lol

It seems to be awesome game though, although I heard a lot of sentiments that the story really dragged on on latter parts

darkfenrir

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH the Persona series as a whole is the game series that helps me get through school and managed to lift me out of depression temporarily. The series personally means a lot to me and I'd love for more people to be exposed to those titles.

Persona 5 is tied with The Elder Scrolls V and Witcher 3 as my absolute favorite RPG of the generation, though DQ XI is a very close second.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

And thats where I stop you. Persona WAS a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei. Or rather, it was never meant to be an SMT spinoff. Over the years Atlus began to pretty much turn Persona into its own IP independent of the SMT series in spirit. It's why starting with Persona 4 Golden, they removed the Shin Megami Tensei moniker, as well as the series emblem, from the box art.

Persona was actually meant to be an original IP for Atlus, as the first game had no mentions whatsoever to the SMT series, but the SMT moniker was added specifically in the Western releases for marketing purposes, to make it seem as if they occupied the same exact universe, and for a while they did share multiple common gameplay tropes. The high school setting itself was actually inspired directly by Shin Megami Tensei IF on the Super Famicom

However, now that Persona has its own dedicated development studio and the plots nowadays almost never connect to the Shin Megami Tensei titles, it seems Atlus is treating Persona as its own unique IP, free of the SMT moniker tho it still considered a part of the larger Megami Tensei franchise. The SMT moniker was literally attached to Persona to sell Persona by itself in the West. But now since Persona has become the most lucrative sub-series in the Megami Tensei franchise, even outpacing Shin Megami Tensei, it is now free to flourish as a completely unique series as it was supposed to be. It's probably a factor in why Atlus thinks the audience for Persona lies outside Nintendo systems unlike SMT. And the first game was also a pretty big success on the PS1, though it would be P3 that would actually establish the series as an ongoing thing for Atlus moving forward.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Remember that the first Persona and the 2 games that made up P2 didn't have any allusion to Shin Megami Tensei in marketing or story whatsoever. The moniker was added to Persona 3 to ease Western players into the series by making it seem like Persona and SMT were always related.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

90 hours in Fire Emblem, and I’m still 5-6 chapters from finishing my first playthrough. This’ll be a 300 hour game before I’m done, maybe even 400 with the expansion pass.

I am not the type of person who does multiple playthroughs or cares about New Game +. There are so many amazing games that I’m trying to keep up with, I don’t have time to play the same game over again. That sounds like the biggest waste of time you could possibly do.

But this game is different. For the first time since... well, ever, I’m dying to play again. I’m foaming at the mouth over New Game +. I still can’t believe they actually made four different paths. Even if it’s the same for the first half of the game, that’s still nuts. And even then the first half of the game will be using different characters so it’s going to feel like a different experience. Different conversations and different relationships and different skills and a different dynamic on the battlefield... I’m truly blown away.

I just can’t figure out what I’m going to do when Astral Chain releases. There is no possible way I’ll be done with this game in three more weeks. And if it were any other game I would just toss it in backlog, but Astral Chain looks as good as Fire Emblem- one of the finest games of the gen and if Bayonetta 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, the sky is the limit for Astral Chain. But Fire Emblem is also one of my fave games now, and I just can’t decide whether I should keep playing and put Astral Chain on hold, or, put FE on hold and run through Astral Chain. And then, to make matters worse, Dragon Quest XI, Ni No Kuni and Zelda Link’s Awakening all release around that same time too! I may just have to put FE on hold while I run the gauntlet of GotY contenders all throughout fall, then revisit it for a second, third and fourth playthrough after the expansion releases. Because there’s no signs of the games slowing down even after September. Witcher 3, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword and Shield, DOOM Eternal... There’s simply not enough time to play all these games.

Not that that’s a bad problem to have but it’s still a bad problem to have! Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest alone, alone, could last throughout the rest of the year. Just those two games alone. Idk what Switch’s 2020 lineup is gonna look like. But if they ease up, it would provide a good opportunity to catch up on all the games from 2019. Thing is, even if Nintendo lets up, the system is getting so many third-party games now that there’s never really going to be another slow period.

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

@BacklogBlues Persona 5 Scramble is a completely different game. In fact judging by the trailer, the story seems to take place after the events of Persona 5 and introduces a new character who isn't in that game

TheFrenchiestFry

Therad

RedderRugfish wrote:

The supposed exclusivity Atlus has with Sony on the Persona series strikes me as odd.

Atlus has been putting games on Nintendo consoles for decades and still do.
They've been putting Shin Megami Tensei (the parent series of Persona) games on Nintendo platforms for years and still do.
They're fine with giving us Persona spin off games on Nintendo platforms.
They're fine with putting a Persona character into a crossover fighting game featuring Nintendo characters.
But they won't put Persona games on Nintendo consoles.

It's almost like if Nintendo put lots of Super Mario and Mario Party games on Playstation, but only put Mario Kart on Xbox.

Every time a game only appears on ps4, people starts throwing the 'sony-pays-for-exclusitivity' card despite no evidence for it. A simpler solution is that PS4 has been the top dog since it launched and is therefore the defacto platform to create games for. And if we check the case for persona 5, how often do atlus port their games? The answer is almost never. So it isn't especially odd if it stays on PS4.

A platform holder earns most of their money from licensing deals, you can't very well earn money if you pay off every game dev for exclusives.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic