Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,421 to 42,440 of 50,394

TuVictus

I'll only be getting it once the inevitable Prime 4 special edition gets released. Or maybe I'll ge lucky and in 2021 they'll release a Switch Pro/X and I can get a fancy one then

TuVictus

Magician

Link-Hero wrote:

So those accessory leaks were legit and not for some knockoff like I initially thought. I still think Nintendo wasted there time and effort in making a worse version of the Switch. There's no point in making a mini version when the original model was small enough to begin with. But hey, if you want to waste your money, go buy a Switch Lite.

You're acting as though Nintendo hasn't done this before. Did you have the same opinion of the GBA SP? Or the DS Lite after the orginal "fat" DS? There are people like me who have been begging Nintendo for a portable-centric Switch. And so...here it is.

And no the stock Switch was never "small enough". It still requires a travel case, nobody in their right mind just stuffs a Switch into their pants. To be fair, the Switch Lite will still require a travel case as those analog sticks will still be an issue. I had hoped Nintendo would've opted for circle pads like those on the 3DS but alas.

Because of that, I look forward to the Switch Micro in three or four years.

Switch Physical Collection - 620 games (as of July 1st, 2020)
Currently playing: The Grisaia Trilogy (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

New_Guest

NEStalgia wrote:

@Ralizah That's not a hardcore gamer, that's a technophile. And is precisely what drove me away from PC gaming.

Hardcore gamers are the people that need to 100% everything and beat everything on the hardest level and find every secret or get the highest scores - portability only helps them.

Well then there's the new "hardcore gamer" that's all about online competitive games and it's always open-mic night. I suppose Switch doesn't work for them. I don't think of them as gamers, really, at all, they're virtual sports fans.

Yea like when people said the Wii U gamepad wasnt designed for "hardcore" gamers. Real hardcore gamers will play games whatever control you give them

Edited on by New_Guest

New_Guest

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
I mean, you can already share experiences across Switches. Download games on 2nd Switch. To swap back and forth, launch eShop on active Switch and in settings, select deactivate. Then launch eShop on other Switch and it automatically activates. Instantly close eShop and you're done. 2nd Switch is now active. Cloud saves will take care of progress.

They may streamline it further though. It sounds like they have something planned. But it's nice to know you can already move back and forth between systems.

PLAYING
NS: Xenoblade, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Borderlands 2, Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, XCOM 2
PC: Persona 4

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Paper Mario Origami King, Bravely Default II
PC: Vampire: Masquerade- Bloodlines 2, Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

New_Guest

Tsurii wrote:

@Therad I've played the Arms demos with Pro Controller and never felt like I'm at a disadvantage, hell I did fairly good, I believe, despite never using motion controls. Without the joycons, or without the motion controls I guess, all you do is play the game with a really unique control scheme that's not even particularly difficult to get down.
It's definitely different, I don't have to play that game with split joycons to know that, but I don't think you're missing out on anything.

Arms is totally playable with traditional controls. Its probably more efficient for a tournament. But it takes some of the fun out of it

Edited on by New_Guest

New_Guest

NEStalgia

@Therad Motion was always the worst control scheme for ARMS. I think ARMS would have done a lot better had they not tried to use it to appeal to the Wii audience. Though I understand their reason for doing so since that was the audience they knew they had, and didn't know if they could rebuild trust with the core audience until Switch took off like lightning with the core audience.

@EvilLucario I think that's Nintendo adding confusion where none previously existed. Like they always do. Though I think this time it means "I really have no idea until I ask Kyoto for approved talking points."

Switch currently shares saves via cloud saves (for most games.) There's no reason to believe that won't work out of the box for Lite...it's just a Switch with a different chassis and some bits missing. What he may be referring to is maybe they're working on a way to transfer Splatoon 2, Dark Souls, LGPikachu etc saves...since right how they'd be forever stuck on your one console. Which would be nice.

@Magician "nobody in their right mind just stuffs a Switch into their pants. "

See, Nintendo NEVER gets it right. It's so simple yet Nintendo always messes everything up. Nobody stuffs a Switch into their pants because it's too big. They announce a new smaller Switch you can fit in your pants the same week a Senran Kagura game releases.....and they removed the HD rumble. When will Nintendo ever learn!?! Why do you hate money, Nintendo?!
</sarc> - needed for internet zealot clarity....

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Magician

@NEStalgia - Alright, I admit, that was worth a chuckle.

Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario It's probably too good to be implemented on a Nintendo system this early on (maybe in like 10 years ) but the only thing I can think of is being able to have your Nintendo Account on multiple consoles like with XB1. Sign in on a 2nd Switch and your complete digital library and cloud saves are available (digital games need to be downloaded from eshop) without doing a system transfer from the first Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

Switch has gyro in the tablet portion too. Just fyi.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

I doubt there were ever plans to release a more powerful Switch this year.

Late 2020 or early 2021 make a lot more sense.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

NEStalgia

@Knuckles-Fajita A stand is convenient but it's not like the stand on the normal Switch is really good anyway - I already use an external Hori stand because the regular one sucks and doesn't allow an external charger.

And there's no harm in optimizing for handheld play, it doesn't get away from the point of Switch - that is the point of Switch. It's a hybrid, not a home console. I'm a 50/50 player, I hate when I dock a game and it looks bad on TV, sure. But I also hate when a game seems iffy handheld....because if it's iffy handheld, why didn't I just buy it on X1/PS4? For a game to be ideal on Switch, it's never going to have the best gfx, so having a top notch handheld experience is what makes the Switch version desirable to begin with. So a renewed focus on an optimum handheld experience is absolutely beneficial to us "flagship" Switch owners - it's why we bought it.

I'm defending the Lite but I'm no more interested in it than you are. Big Switch is the sweet spot. I like the dock & go format, and there's no chance I want a smaller screen or no rumble. It's not for me, the main unit is the better unit in every way but portable size. But it's certainly a useful unit to have available, one I anticipated existing since back at the Switch reveal, and effectively just always assumed it existed already. It was entirely inevitable. It doesn't detract from big switch, which I'm very grateful for. It grows the audience, makes ports more likely, and ensures handheld mode is well tested and thought out in games. The only person it doesn't benefit is the one screaming "why can't nintendo just make a powerful home console!"

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@WebHead You can't delay something that isn't even announced or likely to exist beyond rumors.

@Ralizah I still can't envision Nintendo doing the "X1X" thing. It's kind of a mess. Maybe for the same reason Sony did Pro, the 4k thing, they'll need it, but I just can't see that working out for Nintendo. A new "NEW" SKU, sure, but not ging the "3 versions of the same platform" route.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Lots of excitement online, but lots of whining, too. I must have missed the part of the announcement where they talked about phasing out the hybrid model in favor of the Lite.

@NEStalgia Think "New Nintendo Switch" instead of "Nintendo Switch X," so to speak. If there is an upgrade, I expect it be somewhat modest and to replace the current $299.99 iteration.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

Magician

Ralizah wrote:

Lots of excitement online, but lots of whining, too. I must have missed the part of the announcement where they talked about phasing out the hybrid model in favor of the Lite.

Some folks missed the leaks of two new iterations of Switch being in production.

The dockable, upgraded Switch Pro is coming, but previously like the Lite...we don't know when.

Edit: In hindsight, I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch Pro were a tv-mode only variant. What if Nintendo actually did phase out the stock Switch? Leaving Switch Pro for couch gaming and Switch Lite for portability. Which leaves tabletop mode out in the cold of course. But what if?

Edited on by Magician

NEStalgia

@Ralizah It was right after the part where they compared the Lite to the "flagship Nintendo Switch."

Yeah, that's my feeling too on "New Nintendo Switch" (except the New name ). Any performance bump would be intentionally modest and probably in support of a resolution bump or something for docked mode at most, and maybe slightly more VRAM at vendor request like N3ds.) Just a hardware refresh. Not a "new premium performance model" that everyone still bizarrely expects, mostly due to the odd X1X/PS4Pro situation.)

@Magician Hardware refresh as Ralizah said. A "Switch Pro" makes such little sense for Nintendo. Introducing the Lite and then introducing a superpowered Switch, and having developers/publishers deal with all that would be a madhouse. I know fans just want a PS4 competing Switch.....but that's not really realistic and doesn't appear to be in Nintendo's intentions. Like NEW 3DS and NEW 2DS. There's always a hardware revision, but not a split "premium model" like X1X. That's kind of a niche product even for XBox let alone Nintendo. The market for that would be very small, and not the major market for Switch. Lite is a much more major market for them.

Edit: Isn't your edit just a fancy way of saying "Why can't we go back to separate handhelds and consoles?" As though Switch didn't prove there's a market for not doing that?

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Yeah, probably a Korok Forest being stable 30fps kind of upgrade.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Don't demand the impossible. I'd just be content if it can run Crysis. Nothing insane like you want.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic