Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,401 to 42,420 of 69,981

HobbitGamer

@Galarian_Lassie Great, now I have the theme song for Taz of Tasmania stuck in my head...

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

@RR529
It’s OK to make comparisons to that game without it meaning it’s the greatest video game of all time. It just means a game that, like BotW, modernized a dated series and took it in a much needed new direction for a modern audience.

DQXIS is the BotW of Dragon Quest. The games before it were grossly outdated, and DQXIS may still have the same core structure but it’s a massive leap forward in comparison. Just like Fire Emblem Three Houses is the BotW of the Fire Emblem series. And Dex controversies aside, Pokémon Sword and Shield looks like the BotW of the Pokémon series. Which again for Pokémon, it’s iterative but it’s a massive leap forward compared to past games and a much needed modern direction.

Those are the big 3 Switch titles that come to mind fitting that description. 4 counting Zelda. Hopefully SMTV and Metroid Prime 4 will follow suit.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Heavyarms55

Dat old school anime aesthetic yo!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

DenDen

@JaxonH
I played all the dragon quest games released on Nintendo consoles and I can reccomend them too everyone.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Magician

Hmm, it seems that the leading rumor for Sega's AAA Gamescom reveal is a NiGHTs sequel.

Sega recently filed a new trademark for the series.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NEStalgia

In some ways BotW is a terrible comparison for the modernization example, in that, it didn't actually replace the old style with a modernized redesign of it like SnS, 3H, and DQXI. There's new games in both styles, and both are basically different genres, in the Zelda series now. Similar to how Mario 64 didn't permanently redesign Mario games, the 2D and 3D styles continue to get new entries.

@Heavyarms55 How do you live in Japan and yet have not played any Dragon Quest game? You've just had your J-Gamer card revoked.

If you have about 900 hours to kill, I definitely recommend 7 on 3DS as probably the greatest of the series (albeit 11 is a better game in general...)

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Having been in a situation where it would have been super useful, I wonder why there's still no Netflix app on the Switch. I have been using the Hulu one recently. Comes in handy when it's time for bed

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
It's a perfectly valid comparison, you're just pointing out specific details and aspects that aren't a good comparison, but that's not the aspect being referenced. Like saying "but they have different names so the comparison isnt valid". But the names aren't what's being compared. So you're right, it would be a horrible comparison IF it was being made with respect to the extent previous formulas got replaced. But that was never the comparison being made. The comparison being made was exactly what I said- modernizing for a new generation. Doesnt matter if they iterate or overhaul, the common thread among them is they are all stepping it up and making significant changes compared to past entries, to appeal to a new generation. Anything beyond that is making a different comparison.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DenDen

4 6 and 7.
That are my favorites.
7 is godlike man what a great game so much content.
Maybe even better then the ff games

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Magician

Quite an exciting day. I've got my order for a Switch V2 locked in. I'm also upgrading the memory from 256GB to 400GB. Even though the bulk of my Switch collection is physical, I've used nearly 150GB in space just for patches and various game updates. I'm also considering dabbling in DCUO again, which is a healthy 25GB download.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

I've been seeing a lot of people talk up DQB2. I ignored it because I tried the demo for the first one, didn't really like it, and am still a bit baffled by the whole mission-based Minecraft JRPG thing it has going. I'm assuming there's nothing here to entice someone who wasn't taken in by the concept of the first game, right?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

Ralizah wrote:

I've been seeing a lot of people talk up DQB2. I ignored it because I tried the demo for the first one, didn't really like it, and am still a bit baffled by the whole mission-based Minecraft JRPG thing it has going. I'm assuming there's nothing here to entice someone who wasn't taken in by the concept of the first game, right?

It's the same core concept, a sandbox rpg, only with some really good quality of life improvements and online connectivity. Specifically online multiplayer and the ability to travel to the bases of other players who've uploaded theirs to the shared server. The only negative is performance, the Switch port wasn't dialed back, it's taken straight from the PS4 version. Because of that, it taxes the Switch like no other game on the platform.

If you're in an area with a whole lot of effects and NPCs the framerate can get all the way down to the single digits. Your Switch's exhaust fan will be working hard and your battery life emptied quickly.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I'm going to get to DQB2 in a week or two - I have to separate from FE3H a bit. But what didn't you like about the demo of the first one? I thought that game was a charming little masterpiece. Easily one of my favorite games of the past few years and I've been hyped for 2 since a year and a half ago. And it's not a matter of liking building games. I still don't "get" Minecraft. I don't like it. I don't enjoy it. Aspects of it are amusing, but overall I just don't understand how it's a phenomenon at all...it's pretty "meh" if you're not a fan of building digital Legos. Yet I adore DQB. Maybe because you can play it in a way that building takes a back seat and it's more of an RTS base building exercise glued to a JRPG rather than a "minecraft" game, even if the block concept is borrowed from Minecraft. To me, I never built to build. I built to construct units/tools/barriers/defenses, and building forward bases with defenses and resources management....very much like playing a (very slow) RTS. But with the awesomeness of a story and RPG setup.

It's really quite unique in that.

Only controversial thing in 1 was the fact that the 4 chapters were basically 4 separate campagins not connected. I actually enjoyed that, but the pure builders never liked it. 2 supposedly is one continuous campaign.

@Magician Yuck, that's nasty to hear about the battery/heat thing....

NEStalgia

Ralizah

https://nintendoeverything.com/mary-skelter-2-launches-for-sw...

Mary Skelter 2 is coming late October. It's apparently bundled with the first game.

This was another victim of Sony's censorship policies, so I'm glad English language players will have the opportunity to experience the full game the way the developers intended.

@NEStalgia Minecraft's survival mode is an appealing, procedurally-generated survival game with lovely ambient music and a pleasingly open design. In many ways, it feels like a predecessor of sorts of BotW. Creative mode isn't really my thing, but considering the insane stuff you can build in the game, I can see why it appeals to some people so much.

What I played of DQB came off as a slow, clunky building game/JRPG hybrid, without the design freedom and adventurous feeling of either mainline Dragon Quest or Minecraft. Perhaps that doesn't reflect the larger experience of the game, but that was the impression I got from the demo.

@Magician I don't understand how SE can release a game like DQXI S that, so far, seems like it's perfectly optimized for the platform, while also releasing poorly optimized ports of spinoffs like DQB2 and the DQ Heroes games.

Anyway, thanks, you answered my question. I think I can safely ignore it. Especially if it doesn't run well to begin with.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I never really got survival mode in MC either. It just seems aimless. I need structure in a game...a goal I'm supposed to achieve beyond "do whatever....survive." DQB fixes that. BotW fixes that....they start you out with some McGuffins to deal with, things to find, places to go...it sets purpose where MC doesn't. Inventory management is a mess. That said I've only played the console versions not the PC version. Maybe it's better with a mouse. But it's still stone-ugly to look at on a level that is painful....it's the Quake 1 aesthetic. But even that was fixed back in the late 90's....

In a way you're not wrong about DQB, it is slow. The controls (in 1) weren't great. It is a building game/JRPG hybrid. You do have design freedom (and a creative mode) like MC, but with actual purpose and meaningful locations/mines/etc located. You can build whatever you want and mine resources wherever. But it also has NPCs, objectives, missions, deliberately placed resources, treasures, etc. Maybe an MC fan can't like DQB and vice versa?

I don't recall the demo but I don't recall thinking it didn't represent the game, though it of course doesn't include anything beyond your first flag upgrade, and was the smallest of the 4 maps....

NEStalgia

Eel

Well, there IS a goal in minecraft, and an ending.

Your ultimate goal is to reach the end and slay the ender dragon.

You just kinda stumble upon it though, since there's no clear way to learn about it in-game.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Magician

Ralizah wrote:

Mary Skelter 2 is coming late October. It's apparently bundled with the first game.

@Magician I don't understand how SE can release a game like DQXI S that, so far, seems like it's perfectly optimized for the platform, while also releasing poorly optimized ports of spinoffs like DQB2 and the DQ Heroes games.

Firstly, the news of Mary Skelter 2's western release and official date is today's top story. Fantastic news really, it's arriving much sooner than I expected. The first game is a really good dungeon/rpg, one that I'm still working through. I assume Idea Factory will offer an uber-edition exclusively through their online store, like they did for Super Neptunia RPG.

Secondly, you have to consider the fact that DQB2 was co-developed by Koei Tecmo as well as SE. In my experience, Koei Tecmo games have had the most inconsistencies in regards to their performance on Switch. I would be quicker to blame KT over SE.

Edited on by Magician

Ryu_Niiyama

DQB2 didn't seem to have many optimization issues to me. granted I'm packing my island full of forests and random buildings. so its finally starting to slow down in a few spots.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic