Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,001 to 41,020 of 69,985

DenDen

@JaxonH
I Bought Battle Chaser’s Nightwar in the sale last week, did play it a little and from what I played Its good.
Good style of graphics interessting story and a Nice and fun approche to a RPG..

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

JaxonH

Check this video out.

It’s crazy how much Sony is now censoring (even going so far as to censor the art books that come with a collector edition) and how Nintendo has gone 100% hands off. Both companies have done a complete 180 in the last few years. I swear if you told me this five years ago I wouldn’t have believed you. Nintendo was a straight up Nanny State last generation. Now? The exact opposite...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH At least Nintendo had the decency not to censor third parties last gen. I HATED what they did with Fatal Frame/TMS/Fire Emblem/etc., but at least those were games THEY were publishing, y'know? I've never seen anything quite as infuriating as Sony forcing PQube to swallow the costs associated with localizing Omega Labyrinth by not allowing them to distribute the game in the West. It was such a crappy thing to do. And now they're kicking dirt at smaller devs and indies with their public statements, legitimizing concerns NIS voiced a while back about Sony not caring about smaller games or developers. As if smaller games and experiences didn't help to carry the PS4 early on.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

Yeah, I mostly find people angry about self-censoring games to be at the very least, hyperbolic and weird. BUT, there's a world of difference between doing that for games you make during the localization process and FORCING it on other devs and companies. Doubly so, when quite frankly, the games Sony is forcing that on are often actively sold on their fanservice, and only for a niche audience. And they will conveniently ignore games already on their console, especially western ones. It just looks really bad and is a dumb decision that helps no one at all (except maybe Nintendo).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
I think there’s a difference between a developer as a creator deciding to remove content out of their artistic vision, and Nintendo as a publisher and localizer blurring out cleavage, changing dialog or axing entire subplots.

It does seem contradictory when speaking about self censorship, but what we observed wasn’t really “self” censorship. It was Treehouse forcing censorship on Intelligent Systems and Monolith Soft for their western releases, against the vision of the creator. And I do think that distinction should be clarified.

@Ralizah
I preordered Omega Labyrinth [Switch] from PlayAsia just to support the censorship policies of Nintendo. Plus I’m just curious if it’s a good game or not. I play everything no matter how niche, no matter how big. Love trying new games I’ve never played before

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

JaxonH wrote:

@kkslider5552000
It does seem contradictory when speaking about self censorship, but what we observed wasn’t really “self” censorship. It was Treehouse forcing censorship on Intelligent Systems and Monolith Soft for their western releases, against the vision of the creator. And I do think that distinction should be clarified.

Not really. Because you don't know that anyone involved cares that it was changed. So there's no distinction to be made until anyone involved has an opinion. Or the only distinction to be made is "it is kinda stupid that this had to be changed because the ESRB might stupidly make a game M rated because it acknowledges boobs exist", I guess. The fact that they are in Japan making the game for Japan probably adds to them not caring how its localized, unless it makes a gigantic difference to the game as a whole. So even if sexy characters were their goal and something they actively cared about, that's how it is where they live and in their language, so they've already gotten what they want.

And my point is less that these changes are somehow INHERENTLY not bad and more that it is very rare that the things they changed are for anything that means anything. At worst, their dumb meaningless change was for dumb meaningless fanservice, that has no relevance to any of why even a small part of the game was good or interesting (though I am against the times where it did have a negative effect on a thing, that TMS change missed the point and made that part dumb and not worth any thought in the localized version). The whole thing of artistic intent is a dumb excuse, that doesn't actually understand the artist's intent. And I don't think their intent would be for minor changes that they likely don't care about to overshadow the game they worked on for 3 years. shrugs

I understand the concerns, but more often than not, the people involved in all likelihood care even less than I do.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
If they wanted it changed, they would have designed it that way from the start. The fact they didn’t create it that way means they wanted it how they created it. That’s why they created it that way, because that’s how they wanted it.

You can’t just go change a creators work and justify it by saying “well you don’t know if they care”. Any interference or modification post creation by an outside party, or do to pressures from an outside party, is censorship.

Now, it may not be that big of a deal. Nuance in all things, as each situation is unique and calls for discernment. But it is indeed censorship when you change something a creator created, after they created it. Even if they’re OK with it, it’s still censorship. They might be OK with it but that doesn’t mean it’s their ideal choice. Their ideal choice is what they chose in the first place.

So I’m not arguing it’s a big deal in most cases, but let’s still call a spade a spade. Whether they’re OK with it or not, it wasn’t their first ideal choice, and it was a change made due to an outside party’s decision or pressure.

This is not to be confused with localization which requires some changes being made so that references are better understood, and in some cases age ratings are complied with. But a lot of instances and examples we have observed were pertaining to changes made that did not affect the rating.

Edited on by JaxonH

kkslider5552000

I mean that's true I guess. Maybe. I mean most of it is true enough anyway. I just think on top of everything, I find it such a minor part of Nintendo games, so I really don't think it should be such a major talking point about them. And even the changes that do bother me, I can't comprehend the anger some people have. It's like you're trying to have a reasonable discussion and debate, and then an angry cat starts shrieking at you. And I would be offended as a dev if that discussion overshadowed the work I did, especially angry...non-discussion, let's be honest. Like I'm actively for people calling out Pokemon with the recent news, and that still isn't something I'd be apart of because of internet misery and anger.

I'm also sympathetic to the localization teams, because Xenoblade 2 got THE EXACT AMOUNT of backlash X got, but for not censoring anything instead of X that did censor a few things. In both cases, I personally thought the team did a good job in terms of changing or not changing it with one notable exception each tbh. But it is the clearest sign that you can't actually win, no matter what you do or don't do. It is War Games, the only way to win is to not play the game. ...I mean to play the game but not play the metaphorical game of internet debates and pandering to different yet equally volatile groups.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

DenDen

Nintendo is on fire.
Dont know what is going on in sony camp

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Grumblevolcano

@DenDen With PS4 dominating this gen and Microsoft abandoning Xbox exclusives in favour of taking PC gaming seriously, arrogant Sony has returned.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@DenDen Sony made an incredibly mean spirited statement about how theyve dialed back on indies.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Haruki_NLI

The comment that people will put games on PS5 just because its PS5 shocks me.

Like goodness me. Thats some familiar hubris on a new scale. Thats 2013 Xbox levels of "Youll do it anyway".

But thing is even with PS4, some developers arent putting games on there willingly. And adding in their new censoring policies, and stated future lack of interest in indies and smaller publishers like say, NIS, they really are making a lot of enemies very quickly.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

They need a good, firm slap to take them down a few notches. I hope the launch of their console is as rough as it was for Xbox last gen.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Luna_110

Yeah, the expectation that indies and small publishers will simply be on PS5 because they have no other option reeked on arrogance to me. It would be a nice opportunity for either Nintendo and/or Microsoft to jump in, and offer help with publishing costs (maybe with other things like marketing and localization) to see other titles coming to the console.
Plus, if Sony is going for the big AAA players, good luck... if development times were long enough this gen, I don’t want to imagine how they’ll be for the next one, and those same indies they are snubbing are the ones that are great at letting a console avoid droughts.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

WebHead

@Luna_110 I gues its kinda the community's fault. Everytime they focus on indies and VR we as a whole complain. Peoole liked the 2nd state of play more than the first.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

iKhan

@Luna_110 Yep, I feel like Sony has really pidgeon-holed themselves this generation, and because they are doing so well, they are getting arrogant about it.

As much heat as the PS3 gets, Sony really did a good job of diversifying their game genres and types of appeal. Remember Puppeteer? That was developed and published by Sony.

With the PS4, when was the last time Sony actively advertised something about Dreams? When was the last Little Big Planet game?

When was the last time Sony actively pushed a JRPG that wasn't FF? They just expect the JRPGs will come to them. It's no wonder that Bandai Namco has been actively revealing all their niche Japanese titles like Tales and Code Vein at Microsoft's conferences. It's no wonder why Squeenix is developing exclusive titles for Switch.

If Sony isn't careful, this is going to bite them in the back. With Microsoft really doubling down on 1st party development, and their stronger western reputation, Sony might struggle this generation and then fail to have a contingency.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

HobbitGamer

@iKhan It honestly reminds me of the huge price point and weird commercial days of PS3 launch.

@GrumbleVolcano I know I’ve asked you this a few times already and should remember myself....But when do we normally learn what the next NES NSO drop is? 😁

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

MsJubilee

Man this ShakeDown Hawaii game is disappointing. The missions aren't even missions at all they're so short they feel like minigames, also the story thinks it's clever but it's not. Soundtrack is great though, especially the radio tracks.
After playing 2 hours of this, i would not recommend this title to anybody.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

iKhan

RedderRugfish wrote:

So do you guys think the PS4 has been succeeding on its own merits, or did it just get popular because it was better than the initial competition? The Wii U wasn't exactly a smash hit, and the Xbox One didn't have a very good start at all.

It was better than the other options. The system barely had any good games on it you couldn't find on PS3 for the first 2 years. But Sony had managed to build some good will over the latter half of the PS3's life cycle, and fans were thirsty for a new platform, so the PS4 ended up being the best option.

I still don't have a PS4. I'm only CONSIDERING it because of Tales of Arise, Spider-man, and Horizon Zero Dawn look really good.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Toy_Link

Super Mario Maker 2 is the biggest launch in the UK this year for Nintendo (and judging by the boost in sales of Nintendo’s other titles is quite the system seller)

Also Bloodstained on Switch sold more on Switch in the UK than the PS4 and XB1 versions combined.

SOURCE:
https://nintendoeverything.com/uk-mario-maker-2-is-biggest-ni...

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic