Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,681 to 34,700 of 51,011

toiletduck

@jhewitt3476 I'd be more surprised about not including botw in the list. It's all about personal taste though of course...

Edit: and there @Grumblevulcano already responded to my surprise

Edited on by toiletduck

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia I wouldn't call Xenoblade 1 and 2 open world games in the traditional sense. Big environments, yes, but it's still very much a linear JRPG with locked-out environments until story progression. Torna is also pretty small.

Xenoblade X is absolutely an open world game, on the other hand.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia There's a huge difference between the western RPG/BotW style and the way Xenoblade games handles its world. BotW and western RPGs are pretty much big open worlds that are big for the sake of being big, you could reduce the world size by like 75% and it would be a much better game. Xenoblade games handle its worlds more like Odyssey, the size is very good for the content it has.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

darkfenrir

Personally I still feel BotW is the few games that handle the big world fine because I end up enjoy exploring for the sake of exploring for that game.

darkfenrir

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Maybe. I haven't actually delved into Skyrim beyond Whiterun yet. I'll get there. Someday. I own the game on 360 and never played it. Bought it on Switch but decided to play it in VR instead but decided that's a bit much and bought the pretty version on X1. So now I have 4 versions of Skyrim and still haven't really played the game. 5 copies if you consider the digital and physical Skyrims separate since one was bundled with PSVR.

Going by Morrowind/Oblivion though I never felt that TES games were "too big" since the whole point like BotW was just explore the world and find things like it's real world exploration rather than itemized checklisting.

Ubisoft open worlds are another thing though were the "open" world is just kind of "there" but you end up going through it on a GPS anyway. And Fallout....don't get me started on their empty open world of nothingness with big stretches of wasteland with nothing going on. It's not an open world it's just a sandbox to screw around and make your own fun in. That's not fun at all.

Yeah, Torna's small. It's just the few maps. But XC2 proper, Tantal alone was ginormous and required tremendous exploration BOTW/TES style. I love open worlds, loathe sandboxes intensely, and even I was overwhelmed by Tantal.

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

Mario Party is a lot of fun. I think you'll enjoy it.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia The only titan I felt was an issue was Temperantia and that was more to do with how little story involvement there was.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@NEStalgia MMOs aren't growing anymore, we already reached market saturation. I think you forget how many MMOs there were in the heyday of the craze. It's just the only ones that can survive now have to have big big branding.

link3710

FaeKnight

There still a lot of MMOs out there if you go looking. Some of which have been around for 10+ years. Heck, Everquest and Everquest 2 are still around. However MMOs have been moving from a pay-to-play to free-to-play format for years. World of Warcraft is one of the last holdouts in that regard, and even that one lets you play for free for the first 20 levels.

Just because MMOs are coming to consoles now, that doesn't mean they are going to change their business model.

FaeKnight

NEStalgia

@subpopz "for now"....I worry with new consoles in a year or two what new "industry standard" will be applied.

@FaeKnight As long as the business model stays for MMOs I can deal with it. It's the bleeding effect that worries me (and makes me disdain MMO in general even more. Only reason I bothered with this one is "Skyrim but with your friends" sounded kind of cool (to borrow their FO76 branding.)

@Grumblevolcano Temperantia was tiny though. It was one long hallway with a few little corridors.

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

Eh, Elder Scrolls Online never to my knowledge billed it's self as "Skyrim with your friends". It billed it's self as a new storyline set in the world of Elder Scrolls, and as an MMO.

FaeKnight

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia

So, FF XII was an Open World RPG like BOTW or more like Xenoblade 1 / 2 since FF XII has a Huge world but separated by different areas ?

My Top 10 villagers on ACNH:
1. Rooney
2. Raymond
3. Sterling
4. Wolfgang
5. Apollo
6. Sherb
7. Marshal
8. Curt
9. Jay
10. Tybalt

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

FaeKnight

FFXII is weird. It's not an open world game in the sense we'd refer to such now. But at the same time you could technically walk from one end of the game world most of the way to the other. There were areas you can only reach via airship. But for the most part each area connected somehow to another area, just like in Final Fantasy X. Which I've seen mocked as being a 'hallways simulator'.

FaeKnight

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter xii... In done ways the most similar game design is monster Hunter. It's not numbered zones, but it's a large open area separated into zones because of the hardware of the time.

@FaeKnight yeah, but that basically sounds like Skyrim with your friends (the x with your friends descriptor is what Bethesda uses to describe 76, not teso, i just adapted it)

NEStalgia

Nemodius

I think one of the reasons why I like Skyrim as an open world game is that it is so relaxed, I'm not pushed into doing the main stories, I was able to go one an assload of side quests and set up my character with minimal hindrance because I'm not following how the main story line wants me to go, other open world games (even Zelda) still limit you to having to progress some before you can explore more and grinding actually requires strategy, you can't just usually grind one thing to death and max out everything, I like that they set up your character level system by forcing you to actually progress in your skills

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

FaeKnight

The big difference is in how an MMO does it's story telling. In a game like Fallout the actions of a player can change the world around them. If you decide to kill all the npcs in a town, go for it. But they're going to stay dead. When you finish a quest line the events of the quest line persist and have tangible consequences. When playing Skyrim if a vampire kills the blacksmith in Whiterun, the blacksmith stays dead for the rest of the game.

With an MMO that's not possible. So you killed the boss and saved the town from burning to the ground. In maybe 10 minutes the town's going to be on fire and the boss will be stomping around again. Unique enemies respawn constantly because the quest has to be able to be completed by everyone, not just the first person to accept the quest. This means that the quest lines and events for low level players and the start of the overarching story-line (if the game has one) are taking place at the exact same time as the high level quests and events towards the (current) end of the story-line. And no matter how many times these events are done, they are never considered "finished" outside of a few lines of text a given player likely skipped over.

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish I play RuneScape and I just restarted my Old School RuneScape account while I play other games too. So I play MMOs (and my YouTube channel used to be built around RS) personally, but MMOs are dying for good reasons.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FaeKnight

@EvilLucario Not dying so much as changing with the times. Heck, one of them is coming to Switch. That's Warframe, by the way.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

@FaeKnight I was more thinking of traditional MMORPGs like WoW and RuneScape, but yeah that's pretty true. Although in that vein you could probably say that every big online game is an MMO.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic