Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,681 to 34,700 of 69,981

diwdiws

@Nemodius what your forgetting is heat management. Yes you can cram a lot of power in a tablet/handheld but heat will limit its performance. Tablets dont need active cooling since the apps it plays don’t really push the limits of its hardware unlike deicated gaming consoles. You can also observe when phone or tablets heats up, it actively slows down the hardware. So yes you can cram Ram, a monster CPU, A modern GPU but you wont be able to max it in such a small console without a big heat sink or fan. HEAT itself more than battery or cost, hinders the possibility of a high spec Switch

diwdiws

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I'm looking at stability, sure developers that aren't Nintendo prioritize resolution over framerate but games like RDR2 are a mess on all consoles except XB1X regarding framerate. That won't help Microsoft as Sony's marketing leads to PS4 version selling the best but it does suggest that PS4 Pro's lifespan isn't going to be large.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@diwdiws
what your forgetting is heat management

Can confirm.

GPD Win 2 is exactly the kind of device people talk about when they say a really powerful Switch. And when I'm running really demanding AAA games like Final Fantasy XIII or Bioshock Infinite or Wolfenstein The New Order or whatever, it gets toasty. Like wayyyyyyy more toasty than any dedicated gaming handheld on store shelves would ever dream of getting. Granted, I use a tool which runs the system on a higher power profile- so instead of the stock 7W (same as Switch in handheld) I push it to 8.5W with turbo boosts when needed to 10W, and holy cow, I would not want to see how hot it gets on a full 10W profile or worse yet, a 12W profile (and some people do torque up those Watts to run ridiculously demanding games).

On the current power profile I use of 8.5 with boosts to 10, it gets about as hot as I would want to hold and still feel somewhat comfortable without it burning your hand like you're holding an iron. Whenever I'm playing a game and it feels that hot I know that game is super demanding and it's pushing it to its uttermost limits. People take for granted just how nice and cool the Switch is. I've heard people complain it gets warm sometimes, and I'm like lol no, you don't know what warm is. Running DOOM on Switch is like an ice cube compared to the Win 2 when running DOOM.

I'm quite sure Switch could do considerably more with a higher power profile, but it would come at the cost of more heat and less battery. And we are already at the cusp of what I expect for a minimum battery life. And really, when selling a mass market device like Switch, you just can't let it get warm like that. For PC enthusiasts and handheld enthusiasts such as myself, i'm OK with the handheld getting a little warm if it means playing a demanding AAA game. But when you're selling a handheld to mass market you have to make sure that sucker is nice and cool at all times. Which unfortunately means capping its output.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Nemodius

@diwdiws
nope, heat was never out of my thought, I know all about, been playing with PC's for over 35 years, laptops for about 20 now, and various forms of portable devices (phones, tablets, gaming, ect.),
heat is never out of my mind, plus my particular career taught me plenty about how heat and cold effect such devices,
my career developed a harsh sense of trying to find everything that can go wrong, before even thinking it could be possible, so my experience in business, science and electronics has given me an outlook if I feel something is good or bad, I know it's a legitimate reasoning

but also try to remember I did say "wish"/"want", I never said I expect Nintendo be willing or would, just that I wish they would, and I put out an example of a far more powerful device than would be needed to suggest it could be reasonably done, quality and reasonably priced

but again, everybody, it was a self admitted "wish list" "wishful thinking", but I did also try to make them realistic, unlike some people who want a 30% reduction in size, but 4K screen and 2x+ the battery, even I know that's a fairy tale unless you want to pay $6,000+ for it

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Nemodius

@subpopz
when, I was younger, I had a cousin who was the biggest habitual liar in the world, but all the shnizzit i watched him have to do to try to maintain and back them up, he always ended up screwing the pooch, I learned, deceiving was a self defeating thing, except for Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy, as long as at least one of my kids believes, I will propagate that little white lie,

out of fairness to you and others, if I have a business and/or scientific analysis of something, I will freely post sources, all I ask is that, if there is more info you want, please just ask nicely and give the the benefit of the doubt until I can show

so we good then ??? you no longer hatin' on me bro ???

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Nemodius

@JaxonH (or anyone)
what is "Win 2" ???

Edited on by Nemodius

Nemodius

Yosheel wrote:

Win-dos

Not really. It's the name of a handheld computer

Ahh, I remember now, the famous "Mexrosoft" operating system......funny Yosheel LOL

anyway, a handheld hmm...
I'm curious now

diwdiws

Nemodius wrote:

@diwdiws
nope, heat was never out of my thought, I know all about, been playing with PC's for over 35 years, laptops for about 20 now, and various forms of portable devices (phones, tablets, gaming, ect.),
heat is never out of my mind, plus my particular career taught me plenty about how heat and cold effect such devices,
my career developed a harsh sense of trying to find everything that can go wrong, before even thinking it could be possible, so my experience in business, science and electronics has given me an outlook if I feel something is good or bad, I know it's a legitimate reasoning

but also try to remember I did say "wish"/"want", I never said I expect Nintendo be willing or would, just that I wish they would, and I put out an example of a far more powerful device than would be needed to suggest it could be reasonably done, quality and reasonably priced

but again, everybody, it was a self admitted "wish list" "wishful thinking", but I did also try to make them realistic, unlike some people who want a 30% reduction in size, but 4K screen and 2x+ the battery, even I know that's a fairy tale unless you want to pay $6,000+ for it

@Nemodius you think what you said was realistic? Basically you said you want a Switch that for the same size has hardware that can run games comparable to PS4 and Xbox One with 16gb of RAM all for under 400$ is that realistic? GPD Win 2 has stronger specs than switch and thats already 650$ and add to the fact that its still way under powered compared to PS4 and Xbox for that price

diwdiws

JaxonH

@Nemodius
It's probably exactly what you're looking for. But you're going to pay through the nose for it ($650) and if you want a hybrid set up so that you can play your games on the TV also through a more powerful machine with cloud saves transferring your progress, you'll need a separate PC, making the whole hybrid setup around $2000 total. But it's a killer setup if you can afford it.

Keep in mind, that second link that takes you to ThePhawx's video library of games tested on the Win 2, all those games were tested on stock 7W power profile setting out of the box. Many of those games do indeed run once you use Intel's Tuning Utility to increase your power to 8.5W with boosts to 10W (my recommended max, although some push it higher). But at least that will give you a good idea of what it can do out of the box. The ITU is super easy to use though, and he has a video explaining how to set it up once you get a Win 2 and what settings to use in the Intel Tuning Utility. It can run Monster Hunter World at 540p - 600p 30fps lowest settings. That's about the limit of what the machine can do running on 8.5W-10W. You can run DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 in 720p. And much more.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-2-handheld-game-co...

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdC3pP79J-A9DOxk9GbrHB_E...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Nemodius

@diwdiws
I also said not before 2021, the tech from now will be smaller, more powerful and cheaper, plus it would give this Switch plenty of time to play around and give Nintendo time to see what Sony and Microsoft are up to

Nemodius

Moore's Law is pretty much right on, except price, actual real production costs (NOT the "MSRP") actually go down, slower than the evolution of the tech, but as those techs expand, they get copied and improved by competitors, forcing lower sales prices as the new tech is even only 6-9 months on the market, the Switch's current hardware tech is already around a year+ old (there was a hardware revision in June 2018), so the smaller and more powerful tech of now will be much cheaper in 2021+ when i said I thought would be a good time to put out S2, for a reasonable price

gotta admit, Intel's "Core i7 8086K" is pretty damn mean, 28 cores, each core operating at 5GHz each !!!
$440 right now by itself, but in 3 years, you will be able to buy it at Best Buy for $250

Edited on by Nemodius

PCkid

@Nemodius

I'd prefer a powerful console over a hybrid one. To be honest, the choice on nintendo hardware is based on their IPs and that's it.

The portability doesn't interest me at all. I like playing games when these are good, not because they are portable.

The choice that has been made by Nintendo for the Switch was the good one to make cash really fast but on a long run, I think they're going to collapse if they don't stick to the market in terms of performances and game releases.
This year is the perfect example. I'm happy to not be an exclusive Nintendo gamer otherwise it would has been a paltry year for me.

PCkid

Dogorilla

I've said something along these lines before but I don't really see the point in Sony and MS making the PS5 and Xbox 4 at the moment. The way I see it, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are already about as powerful as the average consumer is likely to care about. Most people don't even have 4K televisions, so they don't benefit much from the Pro/X anyway. I'd have thought that the difference in power from the current gen to the next gen will be small enough that only 'hardcore' gamers will care about it enough to upgrade, and most of the people who care that much about graphics play on PC instead of console anyway. And it seems pointless for Sony and MS to throw away their userbases of around 80 million and 40 million people respectively, without there being a good reason to make a new console. Having said all that, I don't actually own any non-Nintendo consoles so there may be more room for improvement from the PS4 and X1 than I realise, or maybe Sony and MS's new consoles are gonna have some amazing new gimmicks that will make everyone rush out and buy them, we'll see.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Octane

@Dogorilla PSVR is definitely going to benefit from a big boost in power. That being said, I don't think it'll happen next year; maybe early or late 2020.

Octane

Sadist

@Dogorilla

It doesn’t work that way. If Sony and MS didn’t want to abandon their userbase, they should have stayed with the PS2 or 360 respectively.

In the end, you do not want the market to stagnate and where your potential market grows uninterested because you did not refresh it with an interesting product. Case in point Nintendo with the Wii too Wii U transition.

Sony and MS have been (for almost two decades) in a traditional hardware race to offer the best, most powerfull console at an affordable price. And with technology always advancing quickly, new consoles are needed to keep the attention from fans and the mass market alike. There is your good reason, people love new shiny hardware. Sony and MS offers them the possibillity.

Plus there have been rumblings of companies hiring for next gen projects. MS has already revealed Project Scarlett with multiple rumours surrounding it (multiple hardware SKU’s, streaming and others) and Sony can’t be too far behind.

We’re getting next gen reveals in 2019. Release early 2020.

Edited on by Sadist

Sadist

bluemage1989

Honestly think im about ready to go Nintendo only going forward. Have always had an Xbox companion console but feel the need is becoming less and less.

bluemage1989

Nemodius

@PCkid
guess you missed my point, anyway,
you have Nintendo AND some other game systems from some other companies ???
your lack of loyalty shows you are a weak willed pathetic.........

Oh Wait, I can't talk, I am an Uber Whovian, Star Wars guru and Trekkie fan equally, so I know all about basinging my interests on the entertainment, not the meduim, so I obviously respect anyone's love for multiple system manufacturers
games systems wise, I currently have Sega's, Sony's, Nintendo's, NEC, ect., I buy a system for the games (which is why I USUALLY wait 18-24 months after a system is out to see if it is worth buying for me)
I admit, the medium is a selling point in my case, working an average of 70 hours at the university, I like my to go entertainment, but what I love about the Switch is that I'm not limited to one or the other

but anyway, my original point wasn't so much about portability as ability, does Nintendo need to up the game on making a more powerful system so game makers can make better games, (and stay up on the competition) ??? absolutely, whether it's biological, sociological, economical or technological, those who don't evolve get left behind,
do new systems (not JUST Nintendo) need to be limited to a base console ??? that's not realistic either...

let's face it, are the games REALLY evolving ???
*their graphics are always getting better, VERY true, people want more palets, more sprites, more, more, more, so yah,
*sound ??? not really as much, sound has reached a point you can't REALLY get much better, just better music, voice acting and sound fx, but sound hardware itself is not really very evolved
*the games themselves, well, are they REALLY ??? sure some, there are new gameplay styles being innovated all the time, but mostly the games themselves are basic, action, platformer, RPG's, puzzles, adventure, ect., the game haven't even gotten much longer, hell some are terribly short especially for the price, but that just serves my point, even RPG's, 80+ hours of gameplay has been an expectation of players for many years now, but the gameplay concepts has hardly changed for any of these games in decades
*hardware, well, Nintendo sure has always tried to be the innovator, concentrating less on power and more on capabilities, giving new ways to play the games has always been one of their biggest selling points, and others have tried to follow suit

but I think we have reached a point where game development can only evolve so much, honestly, I don't want to be forced to play a minimum of 300 hrs to get through an RPG, and as much as I would like to see more levels in a lot of games, I think there is also the idea of too many levels, I want to get to the end eventually, games size wise are a good place, (opinion), sound....nope, continuing, gameplay, unless you plan on making all games with the "Powerglove X" and a VR headset, I think mobile, individual hand controls are as far as we can really go before it gets not fun anymore, and just how many buttons do you really think you can add before people start saying "WTF ???" , yah, I think the controls we have for all systems is about as far as we should go
which leaves us with the all important and usually a big deciding point for most.....graphics
well just how frigging realistic do you want Mario, or Goku or Tifa, just how many people do you REALLY want to fight in fighting games ??? 8, 16, 32 ???, good luck, just how many layers do you really want, how many would you actually notice ???, capability wise, even the Switch has some awesome capabilities, unrecognized, because it's up to the game makers to utilize them not the console makers, but all in all, some games are pretty damn impressive, but that's just it, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, they have reached a point where "What's the point ???", can games actually get much better, or just....better looking, but even that evolution is getting bogged down by pointlessness, ok, I guess playing football or basketball players that almost look real would be nice.......wait, we are almost already there, like 80% perfect, what about your sorcerer on Elder Scrolls, a little better sure, a little, why not, I'm not sure I want to see a perfect biological looking elf boy saving a princess from an evil half pig wizard warrior (Zelda), might ruin it and I SURE AS HELL don't want to see some fat plumber bopping around,

yah, no thanks, but how much better can the toony CGI get ???
I think even that will get to a point it just can't go any further, just requiring more storage, but even that is already avail on all systems, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo,

technology is racing to get more powerful, faster, smaller, cheaper, but software really can't keep up to fully utilize it, and games are going to get to the point where better games will no longer be defined by better graphics or controls, they will be soley based on content, so we get great stuff, but don't actually need it, I say we have come or will VERY soon where solid, base only consoles will be pointless and unnecessary, and hybrids are where the bar should be set at, but again that's just a personal opinion

Edited on by Nemodius

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic