Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,701 to 34,720 of 69,962

PCkid

@Nemodius - your lack of loyalty shows you are a weak willed pathetic......... -

I beg your pardon ?

PCkid

Nemodius

@PCkid
Ohhh, I get it, LOL, I apologize if it SEEMED I insulted you, I wasn't sir , please read the rest PC, I said I do it too and I also encourage it, you said you have multiple systems from other manufacturers, I was trying to say that is not only cool, I agree that should be the way it is

yah, totally my fault man, sorry, sometimes the words that come out aren't always organized the way they are meant to sound for me (very sincere, no sarcasm)

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Anti-Matter

@subpopz
Meanwhile, my Main machines are Nintendo.
PS1 & PS2 = My Another Primary machines.
But PS4 = Gap filler what Switch doesn't have (The Sims 4 for example)

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla

Sadist wrote:

If Sony and MS didn’t want to abandon their userbase, they should have stayed with the PS2 or 360 respectively.

I'd say the difference there is that the PS2 and X360 had obvious room for improvement in terms of graphics and power, whereas I personally can't see what they can do to improve the PS4 and X1 much in that regard. I see what you mean though and why they need to keep releasing new systems (although I kind of thought the PS4 Pro and X1 X filled the 'shiny new hardware' role for the time being).

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Nemodius

@Anti-Matter
I love having systems from other manufacturers, but the PS2 is the reason I formed the rule of waiting 18-24 months before getting a new system, I traded in my PSX, for a PS2, big money when it first came out, but the number of games it had that I liked or wanted wasn't even worth it after two years, I had 6 PS2 games and 37 PSX, I regretted jumping on that ball so quick, so I came up with a simple mathematical equation

price of the base system ($300 for this example) x 2 = there must be at LEAST $600 (before tax) worth of "must have" (for me) titles available, so for the Switch, I waited until there were at least 10-15 ($40-$60 each) games available that I had to have, I got it after 5 months, LOL and just keep getting more

but all in all, I love games and if a system has enough games i really want, i don't care the name of it, it will be mine

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

bluemage1989

@subpopz same here and have always been a primarily Nintendo gamer. What you say is true about missing out but honestly I think I am okay with missing out on a few exclusives unless your willing to buy every platform there's always something to miss.

bluemage1989

JaxonH

@skywake
This is an interesting topic, but one that is evolving. There have been recent developments with regard to Moore's law that many probably aren't even aware of.

Nvidia CEO Declares Moore's Law Dead

Important to note that Moore's law applies to resistor counts, not raw performance.

According to Jen-Hsun, CPU scaling over the past few years has significantly increased transistor counts, but performance improvements have been few and far between. GPUs, in contrast, have gotten much faster over the same period of time. Jen-Hsun has occasionally referred to this as “Hyper Moore’s Law,” and he argues because CPUs are less good at parallelism, GPUs will eventually supplant them

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

Pokemon Let's Go is being datamined to hell and back it seems, as usual.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

bluemage1989 wrote:

Honestly think im about ready to go Nintendo only going forward. Have always had an Xbox companion console but feel the need is becoming less and less.

PC + Nintendo going forward for me. Although I'll still have all my current systems as legacy consoles to play games on for years to come.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

Ralizah wrote:

bluemage1989 wrote:

Honestly think im about ready to go Nintendo only going forward. Have always had an Xbox companion console but feel the need is becoming less and less.

PC + Nintendo going forward for me. Although I'll still have all my current systems as legacy consoles to play games on for years to come.

I think Switch + PC is a really popular combination. While I personally prefer the convenience of using the Xbox One X over PC, that's mainly because I have a TV-based console-like PC setup that's much less convenient to navigate and operate than a console, and tbh cant run games as good as my X1X anyways (it was more built for Dolphin than the latest AAA games, although it can run Civ VI in 4K, so it's not too weak). My brother has a desk-based PC setup, and never really uses his PS4/X1 anymore. I was never a fan of the desk-based PC setup though.

I still think it's good to have other consoles though, cause there's always those games that drop from time to time where you're like, I gotta play it! Red Dead 2 is a good example (which didn't come to PC, so X1X proved it's worth for that game, especially with how much better it looked compared to PS or the base X1... of course I'm sure it'll come to PC next year so, like Switch, if you wait it out you'll get it eventually).

Still, I love the combination of Switch and PC myself, I just prefer the handheld PC approach. I think it's awesome playing GameCube and Wii and N64 and PS2 and all that on a handheld. It's also really cool to play all the AAA games on STEAM that don't come to Switch. So while I may not be that big of a fan of traditional PC, I'm a huge fan of portable PC, which thanks to its 720p screen and built in controller mode, doesn't have half the issues I encounter with the desktop. And being set to hibernate when the lid closes like 3DS... it really feels like a true handheld experience.

Still nice to have a PS4 for the exclusives though. And while far fewer, the Xbox for exclusives (Ori and the Will of the Wisps is gonna be my GotY whenever it releases). The backwards compatibility is also nice. I hear they just added Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy. I bought those games years ago waiting for BC compatibility. But they're on Steam and I can play them on the handheld, so I wasn't too worried about it.

But ya, Switch + PC is a pretty killer combo.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

Tally another that may be going solely Nintendo +PC next go round. I enjoy having everything but honestly, the only system I'm ecstatic to own is the swtich (hardware concept and available games) and most of the AAAs I care about head to pc.

Xbox as a stand alone doesn't have enough genre diversity to warrant a next gen investment for me. Sony has many franchises that I followed that have ended their stories (Yakuza, Danganronpa) and I need more exclusives that I'm personally interested in to warrant dealing with their controller on the regular. PS4 is a fantastic FG box, and they do have some exclusives to my taste (NIOH, Spiderman) but nothing that I would expect to carry me to the PS5. Sometimes I feel like console gaming is getting stagnant, but part of it is the popular games are often not ones I'm interested in (RDR2 passed me right by for instance) but then I find myself enjoying a number of games on Switch and PC (including many of my fighting games) and I realize that it is a better return of investment for me. I will keep an open mind since I said I wouldn't buy the X or the 4 but at the same time I still feel a smidge of buyer's remorse for both so I don't think I want to do that again. Too many dev/publishing monopolies, too much of samey (and often uninteresting) gameplay and paper thin stories for me at this point. Gaming is thriving right now, but to me it feels like it is buckling under its own weight.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

Very few games are exclusive to PC, at least, ones I care about. So I find that PS4 does the job for me. Third parties + PlayStation exclusives; and a Switch for Nintendo exclusives.

I've also have (read: need) a laptop, so a gaming PC is a bit redundant to me at the moment.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
Nintendo showed that study where roughly 20% of users were console only, with the remaining 80% being either handheld only or a mixture of both handheld and console.

That means 1 in 5 people have no interest in the portable functionality. So 1 in 5 people probably won't care about anything on Switch beyond exclusives (such as yourself), because if you're playing multiplatform games on the TV only, there are better alternatives.

Octane

@JaxonH Well, I've never taken it out of the house, that's true lol. I do sometimes play in handheld mode on the couch, like I would use the Wii U GamePad. That's perfectly fine for games like Golf Story or Minit; but if I'm playing something like Mario Odyssey, I definitely want it on the big screen. And the Pro Controller is a great controller IMO, so any reason to use it, is a good one.

Octane

Nemodius

@GrailUK
I personally am positive that the Switch (and the general concept of hybrid game systems) will be here for some time to come, I mean hell, it's not a new idea,
the SNES and the NGC both had adapters so you could play the games from their portables (GB/GBC and then GBA) on your tv, and lots of what I call "Fourth Party" manufacturers make portable consoles that play the original carts of base consoles, but you can only usually find those online or a flea market and their quality is usually questionable, but NEC had the perfect gaming system in a way
most have heard of The Turbo Grafix 16 (or "PC Engine), they had it great, a 16 bit console system with credit card sized cartridges, but a couple years later while their main system was still selling popular, they came out with some awesome additions, a CD ROM add-on to the console, but the player was actually a CD Walkman, a portable CD player, not just something you add and use for nothing else, they also came out with my favorite ,The TurboExpress, it was a full color, 16 bit graphics portable that used the same game cards, it was same shape as the gameboy, but about 50% bigger, but wait....there's MORE
The TurboExpress had an add-on of its own that you plug into the game slot and it turned it into a fully functional handheld broadcast tv receiver

people have been wanting "All-In-One" systems and portables forever, Nintendo has proven it is not only easy but practically perfected and not a gimick thing,

Nintendo set the bar higher on the gaming system front
the "Hybrid" concept can't be ignored and won't fall into the shadows like the TG-16 line of products did
and I'm sure will go nowhere but up from here

GrailUK

@Nemodius Ye true. There have been adaptors that essentially let you play the game itself anywhere, but as for allowing you to play the console anywhere? Hmm. Hey talking about that handheld PC Engine. You could plug that into the TV and use it as a controller right?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Nemodius

JaxonH wrote:

@Octane
Nintendo showed that study where roughly 20% of users were console only, with the remaining 80% being either handheld only or a mixture of both handheld and console.

That means 1 in 5 people have no interest in the portable functionality. So 1 in 5 people probably won't care about anything on Switch beyond exclusives (such as yourself), because if you're playing multiplatform games on the TV only, there are better alternatives.

according to your numbers 20% of the people don't care if it's portable, but In the next sentence you implied 80% are only in it for the games
but that does imply that the remaining 80% do love the dual functionality, but you worded in such as to make it sound like that 1/5th minority was the more important or significant number ???
it's very confusing

JaxonH

@Nemodius
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't see anyone confused except you.

Where did I "make it sound" like the 20% minority was "more important"?

Where did I "imply" the 80% are "only in it for the games"? (in fact, I said the exact opposite)

So... ya. That's just factually not true. I said no such thing nor did I imply any such thing. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Edited on by JaxonH

bluemage1989

I don't have any interest in PC gaming myself and while its nice having something to play the latest big AAA like RDR 2 I have the same enjoyment from the Switch + 3DS + WiiU + Retro consoles. Then again I'll probably see the launch hype and next thing I know I'm plugging in the new Xbox (because I'm a sucker for new pointless stuff) and then barely touching it for months on end.

bluemage1989

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic