Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,901 to 11,920 of 69,962

NaviAndMii

Therad wrote:

NaviAndMii wrote:

Therad wrote:

My work computer can be docked, is it an laptop or an hybrid?

Wikipedia:

"In computing and video gaming, a docking station ... provides a simplified way of "plugging-in" an electronic device such as the tablet-like hybrid video game console, the Nintendo Switch and laptop computer to common peripherals."

Psst, citation needed. Aka, someone has added it without checking it up.

Besides, my comment is about Nintendo marketing it as an home console, and they are the only one.

Well, let's focus on the word 'hybrid' then - when you say "My work computer can be docked, is it an laptop or an hybrid?", the answer is both... It's kind of like saying; 'is a Honda CR-Z a car or a hybrid?' - the answer, again, is both - they're not mutually exclusive. A hybrid can operate in 2 or more different states - the CR-Z can operate as a traditional petrol car and/or modern electric vehicle, the Switch can be used as a home and/or handheld console, your work computer can be used as a laptop and/or traditional PC...

...your original comment was that the Nintendo Switch is a "handheld in all but name" - but the name of the console is 'Switch' and the marketing message is that it can 'switch' between being a home/handheld/portable console - I happen to agree with the rest of what you said regarding the PSVR being a PS4 peripheral, but I find the concept of the Switch very clear to understand because of Nintendo's clear marketing/naming of the product, not in spite of an unclear marketing message (like the Wii U)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

BigBadJohn

Nintendo aren't marketing it as purely a home console. Every advert I've see in the uk (and I've seen loads surprisingly) ends with "play anywhere, anytime, with anyone" along with three pictures showing the three different modes.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Octane

What's with all backwards logic in this thread? The Switch is a handheld, period. If Nintendo released an HDMI cable compatible with the 3DS (in fact, I'm pretty sure those already exist), that wouldn't turn the 3DS into a hybrid or console either. A system is either portable, or it isn't, and the Switch clearly is. It doesn't matter what Nintendo calls it in this case. They can call it a toaster, but that doesn't mean the Switch is a toaster.

Octane

zitpig

I don't care what it is, but I've never even connected mine to a tv. And I love it.

zitpig

NaviAndMii

@Octane In your example, the HDMI cable would allow the 3DS to exist in either one state or another - that's what a hybrid is. Like I said above, the two things aren't mutually exclusive - they aren't binary definitions where it either has to be defined as one thing or the other. If your toaster could also be used as a home console, it'd be a hybrid.

I do get what @Therad and yourself are trying to say - most people would look at an iPhone 7 and call it a phone, it's marketed as a phone...but if someone said that they primarily used it as an MP3 player, or a camera - you couldn't say that they're somehow wrong for interpreting the product that way because of it's versatile, hybrid nature...it's not 'backwards logic', it's just the nature of 'hybrid' technology.

Edited on by NaviAndMii

StuTwo

Octane wrote:

What's with all backwards logic in this thread? The Switch is a handheld, period. If Nintendo released an HDMI cable compatible with the 3DS (in fact, I'm pretty sure those already exist), that wouldn't turn the 3DS into a hybrid or console either. A system is either portable, or it isn't, and the Switch clearly is. It doesn't matter what Nintendo calls it in this case. They can call it a toaster, but that doesn't mean the Switch is a toaster.

I don't think it's backwards logic at all. Some people will use it as a home console and the technology in the box facilitates that.

The biggest point though is that it doesn't matter. It's a device that plays Nintendo games for which Nintendo will be developing and releasing their marquee games on for the foreseeable future. It doesn't matter whether it's a handheld or a home console in the same way it doesn't matter whether I'm typing on a laptop or a desktop or a tablet or a phone.

Of course the marketing is important and does make a real impact on the positioning of the format (i.e. whether it gets more "home console" style games or more "handheld" style games, perceived value and an influence on the way that consumers view and use it) but the marketing is separate and the technology flexible enough to fit a number of different marketing approaches.

Provided that Nintendo supports it and that it's powerful enough to run the games that they want to make does anyone care what it is (I've used mine exclusively as a handheld so far).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

BigBadJohn

The fact that we are having these arguments about what the Switch actually is kind of proves Nintendo have got it spot on. Some arguing it's a handheld, some that it's a home console and some that it's a hybrid. You can use this system anyway you choose; play anywhere, anytime and with anyone.

SW-5512-0541-9236

KirbyTheVampire

In my opinion, in terms of the hardware itself, the Switch is a handheld with the dock basically being an HDMI cable, but in terms of functionality, it can work as both a handheld and a home console, which functionally makes it a hybrid. It's not literally a hybrid in that it transforms itself into the shape of a traditional console or something, but it works like a hybrid.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

BigBadJohn

@Octane How very dare you. I have never once been wrong about anything ever. Not once.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Luna_110

For me its an hybrid since I can play according to my needs - both as a home console and as a handheld.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

NaviAndMii

It's a blurry line, no doubt!

I'm sure a lot of people will use it exclusively as a handheld - I can totally see that ..personally, I've been playing with it docked most of the time - admittedly, that's mostly down to the fact I don't have a carry case yet - but I bought it very much with local multiplayer/couch co-op in mind & I think that that it'll play best, for that purpose at least, when docked ..my eyes aren't good enough to play 4 player split screen on a 6.2in tablet!

I must admit, when Reggie started spouting all this stuff about the Switch being a 'home console' - I did cringe a little - it certainly looks more like a Vita than a PS4! ...but, in fairness, it is (technically) Nintendo's most powerful 'home console' ever - and is currently the only place to get the traditional Nintendo home console experience with the latest Nintendo games ...it'd have been more accurate for Reggie to just call it a hybrid right off the bat, but I think he used the word 'home console' instead to better justify the perceived high price point (ie. this has a home console price, because it's a home console) ..cringey? yes. ..could we all see through it? yes! ..does it matter that much? not really.

DefHalan

@skywake the graph shows Switch had releases last year which I am pretty sure that didn't happen. It also doesn't show the increase of software on the 3DS from last year when they weren't supporting the Wii U, which I believe you brought up.

I have said this many times, there isn't as much software as I expected. That doesn't mean there is no software. Also Nintendo is back loading the year, minimum software releases throughout the year, then a dump in the holiday (if all the announced games make it in this year, how many times was Xenoblade Chronicles X delayed?) So it will be difficult for them to announce something and release it without stepping on the toes of all the games they are releasing in the second half of the year. So I doubt we will see new game announcements for 2017 releases, most likely push them to next year.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

@DefHalan Pretty sure the graph showed 0 Switch games for 2016. A bar diagram would've been better though.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

Here's a crazy concept.

Bear with me here guys. This will blow your mind.

Want to know what PSVR and Switch are?

Get this right. All this talk of whether its this or that or if it counts.

The truth is: They play games. They are devices designed to play games

Mind blowing I know. Such a difficult concept.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@Octane "So, either those ''cancelled'' Wii U games were never in development and they just had serious issues with their software output, or they're still waiting, stored away in a locker, waiting for their announcement."

I think it's a bit of both. It's no secret they had serious issues with software output for the WiiU. They did not understand HD development at all, and walked in assuming they could go with their usual 18 month turnarounds, and discovered they needed to build all new tools from scratch and development times were doubled, or more, with a need to double, or more the staff to pull it off. As such they had studios doubling up helping other teams, halving the number of potential content. They had next to nothing while launching WiiU, and most of the WiiU games announced after a year weren't released until the past 2 years to round out the END of the console. Most of what was in development for WiiU (at the start) we got for the WiiU (at the end.) The delayed/cancelled games were never named. One was Zelda. I DO suspect there are others, and I Do suspect one of them is Metroid/Retro (or Metroid replacement from Retro.) Pikmin 4 all but confirmed as one of the missing and that was done years ago. These are in the vault and/or being tweaked added to.

But a lot was just a realization they were in over their head, WiiU was tanking, and pulling resources for developing for "unknown platform" that was to be Switch. They likely used WiiU as a prototype working on those games, to get through design, level design etc. Then moved it to porting to Switch, like Zelda, but with newer tools and less overhead, in the past year. I do think it's true they moved most production to Switch a while back, and held what they had indefinitely for Switch, and have much more they CAN launch within the 1-2 year whenever needed. But I also think that the timeline for transitioning didn't mean that most of that was going to be ready for Holiday 2017 even at the most optimistic. Moving for Switch didn't mean "for Switch launch timing", it meant "to have a real Switch schedule instead of WiiU's 2 games every 8 months and a turnaround time of the entire console lifespan." Lingering support for 3DS also took some of their resources for the past year but is likely now winding down. The fact that Monolith turned around an entire Xenoblade epic in year 1 tells us they've been working on that for years. Maybe that was meant for WiiU too. Remember, 3 years ago we weren't supposed to be looking at new hardware at all right now, we should have been in the golden years of the WiiU for another year or three.

@skywake stellar breakdown, great work!

@DefHalan Arms' online content will be there at launch. What won't be is voice chat & the features of the subscription service. Arms launches after Kart. The online infrastructure is certainly ready. We're doing Splatoon's test fire TODAY after all.

" I was expecting Nintendo to come out swinging, and all I see is Nintendo doing Nintendo and banking on Zelda hype."

From a business perspective that's not entirely a bad plan though. When you have a GotY candidate for your console launch, and you have a limited number of consoles in the wild, it's not a bad plan to milk that game for as long as possible to both promote the system as a requirement for the super popular game, but also to spare your other games for after that first game builds out the user base a bit. Also, Nintendo is backed up as it is trying to supply launch hardware and software to meet demand...it might not be a great time for them to diverting resources for properly promoting another game. As it is they're kind of quietly dumping 3DS stuff with little fanfare. It might not currently have the trove of games you'd like to play on it, but they're generally trying to pepper it with "something for everyone" for now, to build up all audiences. Even if they had 20 games ready to go, they wouldn't dump them all on the market at the same time so they could watch their quarterly earnings spike for 8 months, then plummet for a year and a half when they have a drought. They'd want to work ahead so they have premade products in the vault ready to release when needed from a marketing/financial perspective, not release everything as it becomes available.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@BLP_Software WHAT? Playtime is serious business! People starve over playtime and wars are sparked over playtime... oh wait they aren't? Sorry, been on the internet too long among people that seem to believe that.

I really really wish I could play that Star Trek VR game though. Ah well perhaps there will be a holodeck before I die.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Haruki_NLI

@Ryu_Niiyama My issue with that Star Trek game is cost of entry.

Thats a lot of VR Units for 1 title

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DefHalan

@Ryu_Niiyama actually people do starve or gain massive money over people's playtime. That is the entertainment business. If people stopped playing games, I would be out of a job and starve until I find another.

DefHalan

@Octane Switch started on the graph in 2016 way above the bottom line. Switch didn't have releases in 2016, or the graph is unclear on what it means.

@NEStalgia Why do so many people think I am asking for a software dump at launch? I mever said that is what I wanted. I only expected more than 9 titles in the first year. Especially when I expect a few of those games to get delayed to 2018, because that stuff happens. I hope for more announcements, but either way, I will probably buy the first good bundle I see (Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey bundle this holiday please)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic