Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 2,200

Timbox

@cambotero this will do. Thanks so much! Guess it will be toad first and when that’s completed yoshi anyway 🤣

Timbox

Krull

@scubydo I'm just waiting for Cross Code, Persona 5S and Dragon Quest XI to come to Switch... That'll be enough RPGs for the year - although I'll likely have to get Pokemon Shield. And maybe Fire Emblem.

As for new stuff that's actually, you know, out, I've heard good things about Hob, but that's not a personal recommendation. It's on my list, though.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

AndyD

Krull wrote:

@scubydo I'm just waiting for Cross Code, Persona 5S and Dragon Quest XI to come to Switch... That'll be enough RPGs for the year - although I'll likely have to get Pokemon Shield. And maybe Fire Emblem.

As for new stuff that's actually, you know, out, I've heard good things about Hob, but that's not a personal recommendation. It's on my list, though.

Yeah, there is so much coming out, I am not sure what is good and what is being rushed...

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

ZedSwitch

Just bought a Switch and I currently already have Diablo 3, Dead Cells, Road Redemption, Nuclear Throne, and Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle.

I have $20 left in funds for the eShop and I'm down to choosing either one of these games:

a) Fast RMX
b) Marble it Up
c) I Hate Running Backwards
d) Pulstar & Blazing Star together
e) Save up and get Hands of Fate 2

Any one of the above you'd recommend?

ZedSwitch

Cissero

I honestly feel that something like Maplestory, Albion online or Runescape is missing from the switch. I've been longing to scratch that (online) grind itch, but I can't seem to find a suitable game on switch to do that. The likes of disgea 5 or JRPGS are not really in my ballpark either (even though FF World Maxima gave me some entertainment). It doesn't even have to be an MMO, just a grindy game that makes me feel like the grind is worth it would be amazing (when I was younger Pokémon did this, as reaching level 100 was quite prestiges).

Any suggestions? Or opinions on a game like Albion online / Runescape / Maplestory coming to switch?

Edit: I own Diablo III, and though it is a great game, I'm looking for something new

Edited on by Cissero

A proud Switch owner that's always working on the impossible mission of clearing his backlog.

Benjoo

@Cissero I loved old school and classic runescape. Every skill level was earned with hard grind. I think there may be a gap for this on switch if they allow a more appropriate communication. Me and a friend were talking about why Pokemon is not among a mmo setting by now. It would be surreal. Or am I missing something?

Benjoo

Cissero

@Benjoo exactly, i just miss a game with such a rewarding level grind on Switch. I know these kinds of games are not for everyone, but personally I would find it highly relaxing. That's why I.m.o. a game like Maplestory would work so well. Kill a bunch of stuff, level up, compare yourself with others on the leaderboard, have a ton of abilities for each class from which you can map 4-5 to match your prefered playstyle, and have some (daily) dungeons to give the 'community feel'. I'd be all in for it, and I would happily drop 30-40~ euro's on a game like that.

A Pokémon mmo is a dream of many people, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for that a while longer tho.

A proud Switch owner that's always working on the impossible mission of clearing his backlog.

Magician

Cissero wrote:

Any suggestions? Or opinions on a game like Albion online / Runescape / Maplestory coming to switch?

Warframe

You could spend thousands of hours in that game and you'll have gotten nowhere.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Cissero

@ReaderRagfish I've gotten this suggestion a lot, guess I'll dive into it and give it a fair shot Thanks!

AndyD

So for a JRPG, what is one that is recommended at the moment? Or forthcoming in the next week or so? I have XENOBLADE 2 and Torna, so that one is in my library all ready, just fyi.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Cissero

@HeroOfCybertron i heard that Feudal Alloy doesnt live up to the expectations. To me it looks very cool and I do want to try it out tho. I'm planning to read some more reviews before buying tho.

Magician

ZedSwitch wrote:

I have $20 left in funds for the eShop and I'm down to choosing either one of these games...

At $20, and with Pulstar/Blazing Star on your list, I insist you consider Ikaruga instead. There are several shmups available that are what I'd consider to be "swimming in 7s." The shmups from Psikyo and East Asia Soft. There are even a few 8s, such as Blazing Star (that slowdown though). But Ikaruga is a 9 in my book, a must-play in the genre.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NintendoSlav

Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked a hundred times already - I'm looking for a game to sink hours of exploration/progress into after finishing BotW. Preferably an RPG adventure, but I'm not sure if I'd like the deeper/more complex ones like Skyrim.

Right now it's likely between Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Darksiders, My time at Portia, or Ittle Dew 2. Open to any other suggestions.

The main thing I'm looking for is exploration and item hunting, as well as puzzles. I hear Darksiders is great for this but the puzzles are very simple and the game is currently overpriced in my region ($50 in Australia).

Dark Souls looks very appealing but watching footage of it looks like it hasn't aged well (never played it before). The combat looks slow and repetitive, the visuals are dark and uninviting, and the animations unpolished. I could be wrong though.

To say thanks, I'll provide a mini verdict of some of the games I've played so far in case it helps anyone.

NintendoSlav

NintendoSlav

So here's my verdict on the games I've bought so far in case anyone is interested.

Blaster Master Zero - not a good buy unless you're a fan of the originals. The controls are terrible, the platforming not fun at all, directional shooting is near impossible, and the visuals/sound/UI are too old for their own good.

Celeste - a must-buy. Great example of retro style done right. Classic platforming with plenty of gameplay depth, tight controls, and an original story that any modern-day adult can relate to as opposed to the usual mythical stuff.

Enter the Gungeon - OK if you want something for pick-up-and-play, but don't expect too much. The level and item randomization is too inconsistent. Sometimes you get a gun/item that makes you unstoppable, other times you get junk. Enjoying the game and progressing seems to be a matter of luck.

RIVE - good but very unfairly challenging at times. Requires a lot of unavoidable deaths just to figure out what to do. The controls are very good but shooting just feels a little off at times, which is crucial for a game this fast-paced.

Mario Odyssey, BoTW & Smash - not without their flaws, but definitely must-plays. They're on sale now as well so picking them up for the current price is a great deal.

NintendoSlav

Magician

NintendoSlav wrote:

I'm looking for a game to sink hours of exploration/progress into after finishing BotW. Preferably an RPG adventure, but I'm not sure if I'd like the deeper/more complex ones like Skyrim.

That's easy, I highly recommend Yonder. It's a collectathon/adventure/sim-lite game. There's zero combat, with gameplay being primarily busy work. The game has quite a large world to explore and the atmosphere is pretty chill.

NintendoSlav

Magician wrote:

That's easy, I highly recommend Yonder. It's a collectathon/adventure/sim-lite game. There's zero combat, with gameplay being primarily busy work. The game has quite a large world to explore and the atmosphere is pretty chill.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that one on my list. It looks amazing but it sounds a little too laid back and repetitive by the reviews - ie no risk of dying, no leveling up etc. Would be good to see how it compares to Portia or Stardew Valley in terms of the crafting and farming elements.

NintendoSlav

troy258

@scubydo
I would recommend Disgaea 5 complete if you are looking for a grindy turnbased jrpg
Tales of vesperia definitive edition, if you want an action based rpg
Atelier rorona, if you are looking for a more relaxed experience and like micromanaging your items. ( I suggest not buying the deluxe pack, rorona is really good, totori is average, and meruru has some bugs)
There is also Battle chasers nightwar, final fantasy IX, final fantasy VII and final fantasy X-X2 but I haven't finished/bought them so I can't personally recommend them.

troy258

DensoYamaha41

Hello,

I have beaten Zelda and Octopath Traveler which both games I highly recommend. I bought Xenoblade 2 and put 5 hours into and really disliked it. I am just not a fan of the story and especially fighting. In my opinion the fighting was too dumb downed.

I really liked Octopath and other Final Fantasy games but never played 12. Was wondering FF 12 fighting is like Xenoblade or is it more intuitive.

I already beaten FF6, 7. 8, 9, 10. Any other RPGs on Switch that people recommend?

Thanks

DensoYamaha41

Magician

DensoYamaha41 wrote:

Any other RPGs on Switch that people recommend?

That depends on the subgenre you're looking for. Turn based? Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be my favorite. Open world? Skyrim. Action? Ys VIII. Tactical? Mario+Rabbids. Strategy? Valkyria Chronicles 4. Rogue-like? Darkest Dungeon. Dungeon? Labyrinth of Refrain. Character? Wasteland 2. Adventure? Ittle Dew 2+. Pocket Monster? World of Final Fantasy. Beat'em Up/Brawler? Code of Princess. Sandbox? Portal Knights.

The term RPG is very ubiquitous because so many games use RPG elements these days.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic