Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 881 to 900 of 2,201

R_Champ

@DensoYamaha41

Xenoblade 2's fighting system gets better the farther you get into the game. Maybe not quite as good as the first two Xeno games, but elemental combos are pretty cool when you get them just right. Story stays about the same so if you didn't like it, that doesn't change much throughout the game.

Final Fantasy XII isn't really more intuitive than Xenoblade 2 (though not really less either). It's mostly about how you set up your "Gambits", which are set behaviors you you prioritize for your AI teammates. A typical gambit might look like:

1) Status=Negative: Cast Esuna
2) Any ally: HP<50: Cast Curaga
3) Attack enemy: nearest

It's pretty straight forward but you can really spend a lot of time changing up your gambits to meet the needs of different battles. There are no combos or timing like Xenoblade 2, but "Quickenings" (Limit Breaks of XII) are very similar to elemental combos in Xenoblade.

I haven't played too many RPG's on Switch yet (I own many of them on other systems already). But Tales of Vesperia is a solid game if you like the series, and Valkyria Chronicles 4 was a lot more fun than I'd thought it'd be (real-time/turn based). Skyrim is always a winner if you haven't played it yet (still one of the best open world games up their with Witcher 3 and Zelda). Dark Souls wasn't really my thing, I beat it, but didn't enjoy it much. Great atmosphere, but I always felt like I was slogging through the game and not enjoying it, but that could be different for you.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

NintendoSlav

I keep going back and forth on buying Xenoblade 2. I saw it at a garage sale for $50 (Australian prices) which is a decent deal, but I keep hearing mixed reviews. It seems to be either love or hate so I might take the plunge and see. The open world exploration looks amazing.

Regarding Dark Souls, I bought it and was instantly dissatisfied, but the next thing I knew I had spent almost 10 hours trying to get better. It's kind of grown on me a little (with the help of YouTube walkthroughts). The realistic combat and physics are amazing - definitely something I feel was lacking in BoTW. The problem is that the games makes no effort to explain any of the endless mechanics and features that you can use, there's no map or explanation as to where you need to go, and you basically get punished for trying to explore by being insta-killed from sneak-attacks by big enemies.

NintendoSlav

NintendoSlav

Also - can someone clarify whether the Xenoblade Torna DLC can be purchased and played separately from the base game? I'm seeing physical copies on eBay being sold but not sure how it works.

I hear great reviews about it - apparently they fixed some of the glaring issues in the base game and made it more friendly for beginners with a shorter story. I'm thinking it might be a better place to start.

NintendoSlav

Magician

NintendoSlav wrote:

Also - can someone clarify whether the Xenoblade Torna DLC can be purchased and played separately from the base game? I'm seeing physical copies on eBay being sold but not sure how it works.

Whether you buy Torna the Golden Country physically or digitally, owning the base game isn't necessary to play Torna the Golden Country. However, TtGC comes with a DLC code for various content only usable by playing the base game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Venus_Adept

@DensoYamaha41 Like others says you should give another chance to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The battle system is amazing once you get the trick but you learn that gradually in the game. Anyway i would recomend you to try Tales of Vesperia, check some youtube to be sure is your cup of tea, but i think is a good RPG for the system.

Venus_Adept

NintendoSlav

Magician wrote:

NintendoSlav wrote:

Whether you buy Torna the Golden Country physically or digitally, owning the base game isn't necessary to play Torna the Golden Country. However, TtGC comes with a DLC code for various content only usable by playing the base game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Thanks a lot! : ) Will probably pick up

NintendoSlav

Qwertyninty

Can accessories recommendations be made in this thread also... or is this only for games? If not is there an accessories thread?

Qwertyninty

toiletduck

It happens here regularly so I think you're good to go.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Laoak

Tell me about LABO VR's coding features. That's all I care about, me and my son are getting the £35 pack

{funny quote here}

Darknyht

After owning a switch for about six weeks, I am going to turn here to try to find something to play on it. The only two restrictions are that I refuse to purchase something I already own on Wii U (which for sake of this assume if it was on Wii U and worth owning, I purchased it), and I am trying to not spend more than $40 for any game.

I have already have Blaster Master Zero 1 & 2, Paladins (most F2P have been tried), Starlink, Super Mario Odyssey, XBC2: Torna, Sega Gensis Collection and Might Gunvolt Burst. What else is worth purchasing under $40?

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Ralizah

@Darknyht Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle goes on sale quite often, and it's one of those best exclusives on the system. I'd highly recommend that the next time Ubisoft games are on sale.

Have you played Valkyria Chronicles? It's superb, and only $20 normally.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Darknyht

@Ralizah I have looked at Mario + Rabbids, but I am not huge on strategy games so I haven't given it a hard look. That is part of the reason I have been shy about Valkyria Chronicles too. I tend to lack the patience to play them, with the exception of Final Fantasy Tactics which just somehow struck the right chord at the time.

Maybe the next time I see it on sale in Walmart I will go ahead and pick up Mario + Rabbids and try it. Worse case scenario I will have to go to the retro store to sell it.

Darknyht

Ralizah

@Darknyht Have you played Hollow Knight? It's one of the best indies on the system. People also rave about Celeste.

Have you played the base game of Xenoblade 2? Octopath Traveler? Fire Emblem Warriors? The latter goes on sale quite frequently (actually, if you're American, it's on sale right now via Amazon).

Edited on by Ralizah

HeroOfCybertron

How is A Hole World? I was interested in buying A Hole New World but didn't because I heard it was broken and then noticed it had been pulled from the eshop, today while I was looking through the eshop sales and noticed A Hole New was back and on sale, so has it been fixed?

Bah weep granah weep nini bong

Darknyht

@Ralizah I think I found something. Walmart had a physical Steamworld Dig 2 on sale and I will probably pick that up.

EDIT: Decided instead to pickup Bloodstained. I have appear to be on a 8/16 bit pixel art kick lately. Must be age.

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

RR529

How is the difficulty in Onimusha & Darksiders? For more action oriented games within recent memory I've beaten the main quests/stories in BotW, Fire Emblem Warriors, God of War (2018), Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, Okami HD, Shining Resonance Refrain, Yakuza Kiwami, and YS VIII, all on "Normal" for games with difficulty settings.

Think I'd be able to handle either of those two games, or are they more Dark Souls, Nioh, or Ninja Gaiden kinda difficulty, of which I'm not really into (especially curious about Onimusha in that regard)?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Louise29

hello everyone looking for new games to try I am not into games where you fight people

https://4drclanforum.com/

Louise29

everyone what is rocket league like is it still active

https://4drclanforum.com/

Dogorilla

@Louise29 I haven't played it for a while but the Switch version has cross-platform multiplayer with Xbox One and PC so I'm certain it will still be active.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Ralizah

@Darknyht Good choice on Bloodstained. It's a fantastic little game, and decidedly better than any of the NES Castlevania titles.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic