Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 5,541 to 5,560 of 15,210

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

They already did water better in Majora's Mask/Skyward Sword so...

Are you high? No, no: are you high?

This is important!

...are you high?

Skyward Sword didn't even have a water temple. All it had was a few ponds and that drunken-Loftwing-inmmersed-in-jello swimming minigame. You couldn't dive, explore, fight, nor even just stand underwater. What could you possibly have liked about that game's swimming that was in every way a step back from Ocarina, Twilight, and Majora's setups?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

I think @Blast has the right idea about why so little is being revealed, I do disagree with the "NX needs Zelda so dang bad its not even funny." though. What NX really needs is big 3rd party support from the western and Japanese developers.

Yes, so complete versions of games like:
FFVII Remake
FFXV
KHIII (and the HD remasters of previous games)
CoD 2016
Battlefield 2016
FIFA 2017
TMNT 2016
Rocket League (including full cross-platform play with XB1, PC and PS4)
Minecraft (Wii U version is on par with 360/PS3, NX version needs to be at least on par with XB1/PS4)

and many more.

On the 1st party side, all Nintendo needs for the launch window is a proper 3D Mario (like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1) and a few games from franchises they've completely forgotten about like Metroid, F-Zero, Golden Sun and Advance Wars.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mirror-Image

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that this long delay has something to do with adding a female element to the main character. I believe with all the talk about what was shown and the possibility that Link was actually a girl made Nintendo rethink some things. Of course I never thought link was a girl but with Linkle now out in the wild this news wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I think you're clutching at straws here. Link a woman? I don't think so! If Link was actually a woman all this time, then this is going to change pretty much everything that has preceded this new installment. I don't think Nintendo wants to mess with the already firm history Zelda has made and this could turn a lot of people away from the series as well as they were left believing since their childhoods that Link was a man. Of course, this would have nothing to do with how fun the game is going to be, but it would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

Edited on by Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

jump

Mirror-Image wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that this long delay has something to do with adding a female element to the main character. I believe with all the talk about what was shown and the possibility that Link was actually a girl made Nintendo rethink some things. Of course I never thought link was a girl but with Linkle now out in the wild this news wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I think you're clutching at straws here. Link a woman? I don't think so! If Link was actually a woman all this time, then this is going to change pretty much everything that has preceded this new installment. I don't think Nintendo wants to mess with the already firm history Zelda has made and this could turn a lot of people away from the series as well as they were left believing since their childhoods that Link was a man. Of course, this would have nothing to do with how fun the game is going to be, but it would certainly raise a few eyebrows.

It's been said many times before but nothing would be needed to be retconned as it's rarely ever the same Link from game to game nor do they really care about the history of Zelda as they mess up the timeline constantly.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Shinion

@arronishere: It just comes down to whether or not Link is an avatar, or an actual character. If they do go for the avatar route seen in Bioware games and Xenoblade Chronicles X I'd be disappointed as I feel Link (m) has done enough over 30 years to establish himself as a main character that shouldn't be degraded to just the male version of an avatar system. Why not have Mario (f) or Samus (m) if they're gonna do it once why not for all of them? In my opinion it's because these are iconic characters (not merely Ubisoft iconic) who should be treated differently to Robin in Fire Emblem Awakening or Commander Shepard in Mass Effect.

The better route would be the way KT have handled it in Hyrule Warriors with Linkle, just have a separate female protagonist established who can exist alongside Link. I'd be all for that, it's something the series should have done a long time ago. That and make Zelda herself a playable character lol.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Mirror-Image

arronishere wrote:

It's been said many times before but nothing would be needed to be retconned as it's rarely ever the same Link from game to game nor do they really care about the history of Zelda as they mess up the timeline constantly.

If Nintendo didn't care about the history of Zelda, then why place such a prominence on it in every game? Sure, the timelines get screwed up with each game, but to say Nintendo doesn't care about it's history with Zelda is like saying that the guy who invented the Starbucks Frappuccino doesn't care whether he's acknowledged as the inventor of this drink or not, which is total BS and I don't believe it for a second.

Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

arronishere wrote:

Mirror-Image wrote:

arronishere wrote:

If Nintendo didn't care about the history of Zelda, then why place such a prominence on it in every game? Sure, the timelines get screwed up with each game, but to say Nintendo doesn't care about it's history with Zelda is like saying that the guy who invented the Starbucks Frappuccino doesn't care whether he's acknowledged as the inventor of this drink or not, which is total BS and I don't believe it for a second.

In your own words Nintendo screws the Zelda timeline constantly but care about the timeline, that doesn't hold up for me and they look at it as an after thought.

The guy that invented the frappuccino sold it to Starbucks for millions so he didn't care that much about it.

Yes, but the guy who invented the Frappuccino still wants to take credit for the product as there was a recent interview with him where told how he invented it. He may have sold the product to Starbucks, but he still wants the acknowledgement of inventing it. Anyway, I stand by original comment that Nintendo does care about it's history with Zelda and they place an emphasis on such history in each of their installments in the series.

Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

arronishere wrote:

I think it's more about hindsight, "damm if I kept the frappucinno I would have been a billionaire" in any case it's a very strange thing to bring up.

Does Zelda really put emphasis on the timeline though? I've found it to be just easter eggs to the previous games and the Zelda lore rather than a continuity of history with it having very little to do with the game's plot.

I'm not talking about a timeline! I'm talking about the folklore of Zelda, which is its' history. All of these strange and wonderfully imaginative characters you meet on your journey fill your screen with tales of myths and legends and this is what I'm talking about, although the actual history of Link is something that's a bit more concrete.

Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

arronishere wrote:

Eh? Your orginal comment was they would have to change the history of the games to fit in a female Link but my point was the continuity would perfectly allow a female link without change to it due to Link being a reincarnation (so new Link's soul would just have popped into a girl this time) and Ninty don't really care about the specific world and history as they chop and change it constantly.

I feel like having a frappuccino now.

Let's just agree to disagree that Nintendo doesn't care about its history of Zelda, because we're never going to reach any kind of mutual understanding.

My point about them changing Link to a female would create more of a shock then anything positive as Link, as mentioned, is an iconic character and that character has always been male. Ask anyone who has played Zelda for years and they'll tell you they associate Link with being a male hero not a female. So, yes, I believe if they do make Link a female this time around, they'll cause a little stir, which will probably end up isolating a lot of the Zelda fanbase.

I'm in the mood for a Frappuccino now myself.

Mirror-Image

DefHalan

I thought Link was Female for a while when I played A Link to the Past, my first Zelda, because it looked like he wore a dress. lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

jump

DefHalan wrote:

I thought Link was Female for a while when I played A Link to the Past, my first Zelda, because it looked like he wore a dress. lol

And the pink hair...

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Mirror-Image

Unrelated topic: Let me say that I really do hope that Skyward Sword gets an HD revamp at some point as I think the game is nice looking, but I just wished the controls would have been better. I despise the Wii Motion Plus. Right now, because of the controls, it's my least favorite Zelda game.

Mirror-Image

DefHalan

Mirror-Image wrote:

Unrelated topic: Let me say that I really do hope that Skyward Sword gets an HD revamp at some point as I think the game is nice looking, but I just wished the controls would have been better. I despise the Wii Motion Plus. Right now, because of the controls, it's my least favorite Zelda game.

I wonder how the game would play without Motion Controls... I am hoping Skyward Sword is released on Wii U as a Wii Downloadable game.

DefHalan

Chandlero wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I wonder how the game would play without Motion Controls..

Without Motion controls the game wouldn't work. Most of the puzzle and fights are based on accurate timings and angles. However, like Wind Waker one just has to render the game in 1080p and it looks great.

I never finished SS, probably put around 10 hours into it. I wonder if a mix of the Wii U GamePad motion and button presses could work or does the whole game really require that much motion? I think the first 10 hours it could be done lol

Haru17

Chandlero wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I wonder how the game would play without Motion Controls..

Without Motion controls the game wouldn't work. Most of the puzzle and fights are based on accurate timings and angles. However, like Wind Waker one just has to render the game in 1080p and it looks great.

Something something First Person something something Infinity Blade.

And Skyward Sword looks better—a lot better—in 1080p, but still way worse than the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. That game is still made of plastic.

Shinion

I wouldn't be happy at all at a 'definitive' version of Skyward Sword that went out of its way to remove the motion controls. Even making them optional would be bad (as certain elements of the game would have to be restructured around that). For once, I'd say the small but loud minority of the Internet will have to miss out if they want a version of SS without the motion controls, as re-releasing it without them would be a completely moronic thing to do considering hundreds of thousands of people think it is one of, if not the, most compelling and unique aspect of the game, actively taking steps to get rid of it altogether? As I say, stupid to even consider it.

Shinion

Chandlero

Haru17 wrote:

And Skyward Sword looks better—a lot better—in 1080p, but still way worse than the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. That game is still made of plastic.

That is your opinion. I love Skyward Sword's art style:

Edited on by Chandlero

Haru17

Chandlero wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

That is your opinion.

Untitled

IN MY OPINION (stop me if you don't follow), I want to tear my eyes out when I see any earthen texture in that game—or even just look at something further than 6 meters away. Things are NOT supposed to be that damnably blurry!

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic