Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 4,461 to 4,480 of 4,508

WaterKirby_64

@TommyTendo That's awesome to hear. Congrats

WaterKirby_64

Switch Friend Code: SW-2284-8729-3596 | My Nintendo: WK1964

StarPoint

So, I just got done playing some Ult online after having dropped it for at least 6 months, for old time's sake.

Yikes. I forgot how horrible the online feels to play, especially compared to offline. It feels terrible; I played like 5 matches and each one felt like it had about a second of delay. I'm honestly still surprised that the online was never really improved, especially after the whole #FixUltimateOnline thing went down. But, hey, it's Nintendo. Can I really expect much from their online?

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

StarPoint

@DarthNocturnal Yeah I think the movement itself was pretty pointless in the long run, but I'm just surprised that Nintendo never considered a bit of the overwhelming amount of negative attention that the online was getting.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

Fizza

@DarthNocturnal Remember #FreeMelee? God that feels like an eternity ago at this point.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Fizza

@DarthNocturnal It was basically that Nintendo had shut down massive tournaments like The Big House because they were using a modded version of Melee called Slippi that allowed the game to be played online (keep in mind that this was DURING the worst bit of the pandemic). Naturally the Melee community, being such a tight-nit group who were well aware of Nintendo's disapproval of their scene, were furious with such a blatant attempt to try and stop their game from continuing on during such a critical period for fighting games and thus began to protest in their masses. Soon everyone else began to rally the same chant and it even got to a point where Nintendo cancelled a Splatoon tournament because the finalists had changed their Switch names to #FreeMelee, further fanning the flames.

And then one fateful night in December, things....umm.... stopped dead in their tracks let's say.
Untitled
Things petered out quickly after that unfortunately (seriously though, how the hell do you respond to ******** SEPHIROTH). However, relations seem to have been amended in recent times. Melee has been getting in person tournaments with record breaking attendance/viewership and, in a still to this day unprecedented move, Nintendo have partnered with Panda Global to host a new circuit with both large prize pools and tournaments for both Ultimate AND Melee.

To summarise: things got very awkward very quickly but things seem to be on the up thankfully.

Edited on by Fizza

Vortexeo

StarPoint wrote:

So, I just got done playing some Ult online after having dropped it for at least 6 months, for old time's sake.

Yikes. I forgot how horrible the online feels to play, especially compared to offline. It feels terrible; I played like 5 matches and each one felt like it had about a second of delay. I'm honestly still surprised that the online was never really improved, especially after the whole #FixUltimateOnline thing went down. But, hey, it's Nintendo. Can I really expect much from their online?

I'm always surprised at how different the online experience tends to be for Nintendo games. I recall Super Smash Bros and Super Mario Maker 2 both having poor online but then games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 are pretty great online from what I remember.

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Kermit1doesmath

@Fizza I remember #FreeMelee... I don't think I've used this thread before... #Pyra-Main

dysgraphia awareness human

Fizza

@Vortexeo Meanwhile, the online for Mario Strikers is back to being mediocre (haven't played the full game but did play the online test where everything more or less would just CHUG). It feels like they're rolling a dice at this point with which games get good online and which don't.

Vortexeo

@Fizza Honestly you're right lol that's so baffling. I remember hearing that Mario Golf Super Rush had good online so the fact that Mario Strikers doesn't is weird lol. They're both Mario sports titles 😂

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

StarPoint

@Vortexeo Yeah, I think it has to do with Nintendo using Peer-to-peer connections for some games, like Ultimate, SMM2, Strikers, etc. instead of server-based connections like what Splatoon 2 and MK8D use. It's really too bad, because in the case of both Ultimate and SMM2, I love the base games, but playing online in each of them is so painful that I end up just dropping them after a certain amount of time. I would love to play some more Mario Maker levels with people online, but the experience 90% of the time is just a slog.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

PS5_LOVER21

U think we'll ever get a new smash game cause it seems like Nintendo isn't making a new console anytime soon

PS5_LOVER21

PS5_LOVER21

I dunno its just the game isn't getting anymore updates 😕 and I dunno Its a interesting question

PS5_LOVER21

Fizza

@PS5_LOVER21 I feel like people have been saying this for every entry since Brawl. Time truly is a flat circle.

I have full confidence Smash will continue after Ultimate though, with my hope being that Sakurai takes a much deserved backseat (I love the guy but I'd be genuinely concerned for his health if he made another entry) and allows the younger members of the Smash/Nintendo team to take the reigns and see what they could make. Mario Odyssey was the collective collaboration between a bunch of Nintendo's younger employees after all and I think a future Smash game could have just as much of an impact as both it and Ultimate if it went down the same route. Trim down the roster to about 40, bring in a couple of wildcard newcomers (PLEASE GIVE ME PHOENIX WRIGHT I'M BEGGING YOU) and maybe even change up the core gameplay mechanics and you could have something real special on your hands

PS5_LOVER21

I mean get rid of a few characters like for example I would easily boot lil mac, but also give us some more modern characters for the new generations. Like I know we'd never get this BUT I'D LOVE either Ghost from COD or Mater Chief. Also give us some indie characters like Hollow knight, Sans Cuphead for example.

PS5_LOVER21

PS5_LOVER21

@Fizza Also yeah I wanna see the talent of the newbies. It's time to let to pass the torch for example Splatoon 3 didn't involve any of the veterans and that's probably the best splatoon game

PS5_LOVER21

Joeynator3000

@Fizza Kinda wished Sakurai would work on a smaller game again, like...something new like with Meteos, or Kirby Air Ride. A sequel for both would be nice, or something new entirely. (or something like Kid Icarus Uprising)

As for Smash, pretty sure it'll continue on the Switch's successor, pretty sure they said it wouldn't have a roster like Ultimate's though. (for obvious reasons, lol)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Grumblevolcano

I think they'll have Ultimate be the current Smash game as long as it can still be sold. Maybe even pull a MK8 Deluxe type situation and announce a Fighters Pass 3, years after the announcement of content seemingly ending.

Given there's quite a few 3rd party characters, the challenges of licensing are very much applicable to Smash. If Sony acquires Square Enix, would Sony renew the licensing for Cloud/Sephiroth/Hero/Sora to be in Smash? Will Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship continue such that Banjo and Steve can be relicensed for Smash?

When Ultimate can no longer be sold, I think Nintendo would return back to a Nintendo only Smash and delve more into franchises with little representation like Zelda.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Randomname19

Lately i was in the mood of playing this game in VR mode,something i was unable to do due to joycon drift(i have a third party pro controller for normal play).Third party Labo VR games work just fine without joycons,and Smash would too if Nintendo didn't force the joycons to be mandatory.Since i didn't want to spend 50 dollars on new joycons that could just drift again.I asked a electrician to open the joycons and cut off the power going to both sticks.I tought i could just navigate the game menu with the pro controller and just attach the joycons to spectate vr.But nope,even while the sticks not working i still get drift!All of this because Nintendo forced joycons on VR mode.

Edited on by Randomname19

Avatar by AzulieZeiro and BeanMChocolate

PS5_LOVER21

Just repair them I'm sure there's lots of tutorials online

PS5_LOVER21

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic