Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 2,232

Fizza

Sunsy wrote:

Pokemon Stadium does make me wonder, if Game Boy came to Switch Online with classic Pokemon, would that potentially allow the transfer pack functions. I know this isn't official, but just food for thought.

First thing I checked when rewatching the trailer and the answer is sadly a cold hard no
Untitled

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Sunsy

@Fizza Aww, that's a bummer. Good eye, I missed that too while watching the Direct.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Eel

Fizza wrote:

Sunsy wrote:

Pokemon Stadium does make me wonder, if Game Boy came to Switch Online with classic Pokemon, would that potentially allow the transfer pack functions. I know this isn't official, but just food for thought.

First thing I checked when rewatching the trailer and the answer is sadly a cold hard no
Untitled

(Sad Eel noises)

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy I gotta be honest, the Mario Party games are what's making me want the expansion pack. I'd love to play those online. I wouldn't mind playing GoldenEye, either.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

kkslider5552000

I'll be honest, I was not expecting Mario Party this soon, consider y'know...the Superstars release. And tbh, Superstars is probably a vastly better option to play online, but even still, I would've thought they wouldn't want to do that.

Goldeneye is bizarre to me, since Nintendo has gotten exactly one 3rd party game on the N64 NSO, and then decided to get the one that was arguably the most difficult to get. Like they had to collaborate with both Microsoft and checks Eon Productions, and possibly others too, just to get this. When you consider all the far easier 3rd party games that aren't on NSO, its just very weird to me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 Microsoft also benefits a lot from Goldeneye, it's a 2 way thing. A strong Day 1 on Game Pass release in a year that's very weak for Game Pass and Rare Replay is more complete (the Xbox trailer has the Rare Replay logo). Goldeneye appears on so many "best games of all time" lists so to be able to say that's on Game Pass is a very big deal.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Fizza

@kkslider5552000 @Grumblevolcano I think what puzzles me the most about this whole thing (apart from the fact that it's actually happening) is that the Xbox version of Goldeneye doesn't have online play....yet the SWITCH version does. This feels like it should be swapped around, doesn't it? I mean I'm not complaining: I'd love to play some online Goldeneye wherever. Just don't pick Oddjob ok: I've heard horror stories about him.

Edited on by Fizza

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Yeah, my main reason for not upgrading was most of the games that did interest me, I can play right now on Wii U. I may consider it now because of the game options, but I may wait on it. Still have my Pokemon Stadium carts, and never played GoldenEye aside from that Wii re-imagining Activision published, which played more like Call of Duty.

If you get it, enjoy the Mario Party games.

@Fizza Thinking about it, it might just be the usual online functions of the N64 NSO app has. I never used it as I don't have the Expansion Pack, but I do know the SNES/NES stuff works with making a room and letting friends join. Maybe similar to that, it's still split screen with online play.

I imagine if Xbox version did have online play, I'd assume it's a similar lobby system to most Xbox games, while Switch Online is the usual connect with friends, then pick your game. That's my guess, just online with Nintendo's own emulation that NSO has.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Xyphon22

I was really disappointed with the list of games. I've never been able to get into Pilotwings, I don't really care for Mario Party (although my son will probably like them, but he just got Superstars like a week ago), I don't care for Pokemon (although again my son might like them), 1080 was a good time back in the day, but it's one of those genres I've grown out of, although I'm sure I'll still give it a go like I did with Wave Race. And while Excitebike 64 and Goldeneye are great, I still have both them on cart on my N64. I've always loved the NSO for the obscure titles I would never have otherwise played, and I'm hoping for more of those. And Donkey Kong 64 as I've never played that. How is that not on there yet?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

MarioVillager92

@Sunsy Yeah, that's understandable. I do still have a fair amount of my N64 games, both in cartridge form and on the Wii VC. I've actually played GoldenEye before, my cousin had it a while back and we played the multiplayer for a decent while. It's definitely cool that they're bringing it over to NSO+EP and Xbox.

Thanks! I'm especially excited to play Mario Party 3. That one hasn't gotten a VC release, either.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

kkslider5552000

As someone who grew up with N64, rented games during that time and played it semi-regularly for the decade after the Gamecube came out, it is almost impressive how many even obvious N64 games I haven't played in either 20+ years or at all. Just a random thought I've had, like I'm surprised NSO N64 hasn't been largely redundant for me considering how much I played that system.

It's kinda why the whole thing has worked out for me, even though its hard to spend too much time on it with all the actually bought games I have yet to play.

Grumblevolcano

I'm even more torn over the Expansion Pack:

• Mario Party 1-3 - I'm fine with Superstars (the GC games had better minigames too)
  • Goldeneye - I bought Rare Replay in 2015 so I'll have it for free on Xbox
  • 1080 Snowboarding, Pilotwings 64 and Excitebike 64 - Not that interested in those
  • Pokemon Stadium 1-2 - Are the games still good even without the transfer function from the mainline games?

I have a few days to decide as my base NSO expires then. Would've been so much easier to decide if they added something like GBA.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

I really hope we start seeing more third party released games come to the N64 because there’s certainly some I’d like to see, mostly Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Eel

In the Pokémon games: multiplayer battles, cups, and the gym challenge can be played just fine with rental teams, and the mini games are great multiplayer fun. So those modes remain funcional.

It’s just a shame they couldn’t include at least one emulated gb game to unlock the other features….

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

kkslider5552000

FragRed wrote:

I really hope we start seeing more third party released games come to the N64 because there’s certainly some I’d like to see, mostly Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

This is my main concern, there's a bunch of cool games that could use a re-release (a lot of which quite frankly, I'm not sure are gonna be re-released in any other form anyway). And with Goldeneye being back its abundantly clear that money is not an issue here.

FragRed

@kkslider5552000 I can’t see publishers being too concerned about requesting too much to license titles for the N64, aside from maybe Microsoft. Most these games as you said won’t get a re-release anyway and I think probably are mostly franchises of little importance to them. I think it’s more Nintendo just doing the cheapest route with the mostly first party releases.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Sunsy

@MarioLover92 Sounds like a fun time. I'm surprised it's making its way to Xbox and NSO Expansion Pack, mostly because of the licensing trouble this game had, it's great news for fans. I do wish we could purchase games like the VC, it would be one I'd like to have on my Switch forever, and not during the duration of the service which could eventually end.

Didn't know that one never got re-released. I'm wondering how the Mario Party 2 thing is going to work, I still remember the news on the hand situation and the gloves to this day. Never did have 2, I use to have Mario Party 4 until it got lost.

Kermit1doesmath

Winback feels like James Bond: Bloodstone on the DS, but better and a lot harder.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Fizza

@Kermit1 WE TALKIN BOUT WINBACK!?
Untitled
Glad you're giving it a go though! I went in with the absolute lowest of expectations and it ended up becoming my 2nd favourite game on the entire service, just behind Kirby 64. It can be absolutely brutal at points but learning how to overcome those points is always incredibly satisfying. Stick with it: you'll have a great time.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic